I really like Prototype, but I find one thing really annoying.

#1 Posted by Zoombini (69 posts) -

The fact that the enter tank, grab foe and pick up gun is mapped to the same button on the controller (I am playing the 360 version BTW.) In certain battles I would be trying to get into a tank, but instead Alex felt like he wanted to pick up the nearest soldier. Alternatively, in other missions I go for a gun to help me fight off a Hunter only to find my character trying to grab the creature which fellow players will know grabbing Hunters isn't the best of ideas.

I only really had this problem in the first half of the game. Mainly because the aid of the whip and blade gave Alex the strength to fight off stronger hordes by himself without resorting to gun or nearly tanks.

Anyone else suffer from this problem? I would be interested to know if you developed any solutions.

#2 Posted by Rhaknar (6299 posts) -

as many reviews said, one of the problems of having maybe too many features in the game. its happened to me, but i havent died because of it.

#3 Edited by hungrynun (461 posts) -

Lock on grabs do not have this problem. But this is the main reason why I avoid weapons in Prototype...can't even pick up a gun to save his life in a skirmish, literally.

#4 Posted by MB (13785 posts) -

I could have done without drivable vehicles entirely.

#5 Edited by TheHT (12202 posts) -

Solutions:

To pick up gun: stand right over (glowing) gun.

To enter tank: stand right beside/jump on tank.

To grab stuff: sprint straight for it and hit the button as soon as you make contact (much like going into a skyjack from jumpkick). Target if you want.

In some missions I really found myself getting my ass handed to me only to spot a group of nearby soldiers with missile launchers or a tank or something. It's pretty awesome to be able to just cruise on over jack the weapon/vehicle and GET SHIT DONE. :)

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -
@TheHT:  i think the OP is saying that since the 3 actions are done by the same button, if you're next to a tank surrounded by soldier and have weapons all over the ground then if you hit the button to perform one, the other might be performed which sucks

yeah, i play it on PC, the key is E and it can be really annoying and just kills the buzz.. espicially when trying to enter a tank and alex grabs an M16 lolz

another thing i HATE is that the game saves RIGHT AFTER a mission is completed.. they dont give me a chance to consume and get health and THEN save, so whenever i load the game im short on health and need to consume ppl before playing
#7 Edited by PureRok (4268 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: You always start with half health, no matter what. I always have full health when I save, and I return to half health on loading.
#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -
@PureRok: you could be right, but i have a theory: im pretty sure its a mission thing. (im talking about the main missions)

here's my theory :
See, i think saving manually is pointless, because when you make points / finish side events / buy upgrades, it saves automatically.. the only thing left thats worth saving manually for is your health, and i think when you save manually it saves anything BUT health ( it saves points and events and upgrades, which as i said before are saved automatically, therefore saving manually doesnt do a goddamn thing).. the health stays as it was saved after finishing a main mission
i mean when you save manually and then load that save file, it doesnt even load where you saved it, it loads on the same rooftop which tells me that its definitely a main mission thing, both with health and location of load.

so, the only way to be able to load the game with full health is to have full health the moment you complete a main mission which is usually impossible ..

anybody agree to my theory ?
#9 Posted by TheHT (12202 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @TheHT:  i think the OP is saying that since the 3 actions are done by the same button, if you're next to a tank surrounded by soldier and have weapons all over the ground then if you hit the button to perform one, the other might be performed which sucks
I know that's the case. I had trouble at first with it, but over time I just do things more carefully. I've never been in a situation where a tank is surrounded by soldiers and weapons are littered all about though, so I guess I've never had to experience what you guys have.
#10 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -
@TheHT said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @TheHT:  i think the OP is saying that since the 3 actions are done by the same button, if you're next to a tank surrounded by soldier and have weapons all over the ground then if you hit the button to perform one, the other might be performed which sucks
I know that's the case. I had trouble at first with it, but over time I just do things more carefully. I've never been in a situation where a tank is surrounded by soldiers and weapons are littered all about though, so I guess I've never had to experience what you guys have. "
Yup, happens to me alot, espicially when im next to a Hive... for example i kill some soldiers with the whip which scatters their guns and rocket launchers around, then more troops approach me, so i quickly run towards an APC so i can blow up the hive with the APC's rockets.. now after playing for a few days im more careful at picking precisely the APC but in general it happens that i might pick up a nearby rocket launcher or a soldier instead .. 
#11 Posted by Expletive (1101 posts) -

havent played it but this sounds annoying and similar to control issues with gears 1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.