Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prototype

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 09, 2009

Prototype is an open-world action game from Radical Entertainment. You are Alex Mercer, a human transformed by a deadly virus into a virtually invincible killing machine.

This game made an awful first impression

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

I'm about two hours in, and so far I'm not into Prototype at all. The city is bland, colorless, and the pop-in is fairly noticeable. While the game strives to give the player a "badass" feel, didn't really work with me. I feel like it's overly violent for no apparent reason. While I'm not too far in, the story doesn't make too much sense to me. Why are civilians just going about their day while tanks are rolling around? The game feels like it'll serve younger teenagers, or people who don't want much from a game other than extreme violence without any consequence or well-made mechanics. Prototype just didn't pull me in, dispite the opening which grants you (I'm assuming) all the abilities you'll gather through the game. However, I'm probably in the minority. I'm really hoping it gets better.

Hammerjelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hammerjelly

"The city is in quarantine and there are zombies and military all over the place.. what a perfect day to stroll around central park!"

Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense. 

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm waiting to pick it up cheap to be honest. I wasn't particularly into the concept of Prototype or inFamous initially, but inFamous' mechanics won me over eventually via the demo.

Yet to try Prototype obviously but I'm not a big fan of the "bad-ass" vibe they're so blatantly striving for.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MeierTheRed

The moor i see people write about this game, the more i dislike it

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Pie

Ill need a demo to see if its a buy or not but that probably wont happen....

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I think the game does what it sets out to do very well.  The main missions are much more interesting than the side missions, but if you can immerse yourself without thinking too much you'll enjoy everything more.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By mordecaix7

I must be super easy to please then.  I can't get enough of this game.  It's the most fun I've had playing a game in a very long time.  Other games have been fun to me, but I haven't day dreamed about playing a game in a long time and I certainly do with this one.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By RipTheVeins

I agree with the TC, although it looks like this game would be badass..if I was still 13.  I think they pretty much nailed that demographic well, even if they are underage to even buy the game.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By VWGTI

I didn't see what all the hype was about when I watched the gameplay videos as well. What the TC has said has been said by a lot of people over at different forums. I'm gonna stay away from this game for sure.

SketchyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SketchyBrown

It's a thinly disguised sandbox of "cut people in half" mixed in with some Crackdown awesome. They should put out a demo though - I think people are going to dismiss the game too easily otherwise.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EpicSteve

Something else I've discovered while playing today is that the game is fucking hard, too. The enemies wont get of my balls, and allow me some breathing room. I feel incredibly underpowered for a character that's supposed to be a badass.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Venatio

Im not sure about this game, where the hell is a demo? That would help me decide

AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AzureSupernova

@EpicSteve said:
    "Something else I've discovered while playing today is that the game is fucking hard, too. The enemies wont get of my balls, and allow me some breathing room. I feel incredibly underpowered for a character that's supposed to be a badass. "

I can relate to that, but other than that I like it. Fair point it's not as pretty as the likes of RE5 or MGS4 and the gameplay is hardly involving (button mashing if anything). I've found it's something I can just pick up and play for a good hour or two, turn off at anytime and then come back to anytime. I think at the end of the day, it's just a simple game and probably pretty good for stress or anger relief. There's just too much potential in this game, playing it feels like alot of stuff went to waste.
    Ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ace

My first impression of the game was great. a very remember able opening cinematic, starting the game with all your powers on the 18th day of infection is a great first impression in my option. But it seems to me they  do want you to be dumbed down a bit when the story starts rolling.The game is crazy i love the idea that you can kill an enemy in 10 differnt ways.but  I wish the A.I. was a little more forgiving to say the least.

skilzlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By skilzlost

yar im not over the moon either .. and i went round telling everyone that it got 9.8 and must be brill..

that 9.8 turned out to be 8.8 by 1 reviewer i just hope they dont all linch me now because tbh its just a bit average and not the infamous i was hopin it to be..

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brydello

I'm playing it now and I for some reason feel the need to start over... I don't understand a fucking thing that's happening but that seems to be the case for everyone playing it.
    I guess I'm infected with a disease that's spreading all over NYC right? I have amnesia and I have to piece together my memories to figure out how the fuck this all started... have I got this right so far?

vhold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vhold

You just have to look past the fact that the people are completely idiotic, they're just there to make the game feel more chaotic and alive.  They are always in the mode as if everything has just suddenly went wrong, which makes no sense, but it looks cool.  This is a game that really shouldn't be taken too seriously.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EpicSteve
    @MrMiyagi said:
    " I'm playing it now and I for some reason feel the need to start over... I don't understand a fucking thing that's happening but that seems to be the case for everyone playing it.I guess I'm infected with a disease that's spreading all over NYC right? I have amnesia and I have to piece together my memories to figure out how the fuck this all started... have I got this right so far? "
    IDK. Sounds like a plot for a JRPG. Some infection is going on, that's all I got out of it. 
    AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AzureSupernova

I think the gameplay just doesn't match the complicated and gritty  (albeit predictable) story. In all fairness the gameplay is gory and brutal, but simple and rudimentary. It's frustrating that there is no "Guard" or "Block" action and instead you're given two powers which barely compensate for what a blocking move would offer, also the diveroll is tactically useless (especially against multiple Hunters at once) because the second you roll out of the warpath of one Hunter, you're right in the sights of another.

There are major difficulty issues, with enemies raping you left right and centre in Normal mode right from the start, there can be as many Hunters on screen as the game allows and half of them can be tearing the military apart, yet the military will almost always focus fire on Alex. Combine the frustrating falling sequence that follows after being hit by a missile whilst scaling a building, with the ridiculously potent attacks that Hunters' perform and you have one pissed off player. It's just too hard to get screwed by everyone at once.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I will add that I hate when a game, book, or movie starts at the end or towards the end of the story and then jumps backwards.  I realize in Prototype they wanted to get you hooked and see how powerful you would become, but it's still lame.

@AzureSupernova:  There is a upgrade that you can purchase to recover in the air.  Search for that and buy it as soon as you can.  It unlocks early in the game.  The Hunter Dirtnap upgrade is useful if you're having trouble with multiple hunters.  Also, throwing objects at hunters is the best way to kill them.  They can't hurt you from a distance (they only thow stuff at helicopters), and there is usually a car or building piece nearby to throw.  If you have the musclesmass and its max throw upgrade on top of normal throw upgrades, you can easily kill hunters with two throws.  I usually carry around a missile launcher too, which can kill two or more hunters depending on your weapon upgrades.  Hope that helps.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's good but Infamous is probably better, opinions based on Infamous demo and about three hours of playing Prototype. Gameplay wise it's fun so far but I'm with Penguin on the story, they should have just started with Alex in the morgue instead of doing the 'I'm at the end of the game narrating everything to you' thing. The mission cutscenes are stilted and feel weird as well.

And why the hell can't I restart a side mission without dying or waiting for time to run out?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By RHCPfan24

I probably won't get this game for a while because Red Faction and inFamous are on my list before I play this. Prototype seems like a fun time but I see where you are coming from in being immature and overly violent. Nothing wrong with violence though, but sometimes the rest of the game needs to back it up.

CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CactusWolf

I gave it a rent.

It's alright so far. Though in terms of graphics and whatnot it's pretty cringe worthy.
    Still, I've found my self stopping the game and switching over to inFamous to try and get some more of the trophies in the process...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead

Besides the sheer brutality of the combat and the exploration feeling a lot like Spider-Man 2, there's not much to enjoy. At least, that's what i've gleaned from my first few hours.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ahriman22
    @EpicSteve: If you're running around flying around shit and killing bpeople then what do you expect?
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RsistncE
    @mordecaix7 said:
    " I must be super easy to please then.  I can't get enough of this game.  It's the most fun I've had playing a game in a very long time.  Other games have been fun to me, but I haven't day dreamed about playing a game in a long time and I certainly do with this one. "
    It's pretty crazy how all over the place people's opinion of this game are. I'm in your camp...this game is so much FUCKING FUN.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Scooper

It's from the guys who made that Hulk game I think so I wasn't all that hopefull anyway.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vidiot
    @RsistncE said:
    " @mordecaix7 said:
    " I must be super easy to please then.  I can't get enough of this game.  It's the most fun I've had playing a game in a very long time.  Other games have been fun to me, but I haven't day dreamed about playing a game in a long time and I certainly do with this one. "
    It's pretty crazy how all over the place people's opinion of this game are. I'm in your camp...this game is so much FUCKING FUN. "
    Yeah, everyone's opinion for this thing is all over the map online. Sadly, I haven't meet anyone personally who has liked it. Even when asking about it to my friends on Live I've heard nothing but complaints. I guess I'm just gonna have to wait for it to come down in price.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RsistncE
    @vidiot: In all honesty it's because the game targets a VERY specific audience. That audience being one that likes to break things....and people. If you liked Crackdown, like to feel like a badass and just plain out wreck shit this has my absolutely unrestrained recommendation for purchase. Playing this game just reminds me a lot of my mother after I break something expensive.

"See, THIS is why we can't have nice things."
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vidiot
    @RsistncE: I love smashing stuff, but there is a problem with what you said, and now I think I understand the varying views. I like context, no matter how minimal. If there's no real purpose, or worse, failed attempt to attach any form of narrative to the smashing, then there might be a problem. I'm not asking for fifty minute cutscenes, or any cutscenes for that matter. But if like Crackdown, there is nothing else to really draw players into in regards to a giant sandbox (enviromentally, situation wise, characters), then I can see where some discomfort may be.

I'm still going to eventually check it out.
    My main curiosity is that if it can go head to head with InFamous, although after reading more about the game it seems like comparisons might be harder to do than previously thought.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RsistncE
    @vidiot: No but see there is context. Approximately 100 times more than Crackdown. It's not as in depth as inFamous but it definitely has a plot driving it, the thing is most of it is a mystery and you find out what happened to you and the city through gameplay (the web of intrigue). I think this is brilliant because it makes the experience all the more personal for the player, it really makes it feel like you are Alex Mercer. There are cutscenes, but they're short (a few minutes tops) and can be quite spectacular and the thing that is awesome about this is that when the gameplay starts back up, there isn't anything that you saw in that cutscene that you can't do in the game. As far as complaints about the presentation go (the city, how alive it feels, the graphics etc.) I feel they are really unfounded and that the game looks great. It looks and feels like New York city and is incredibly alive, something which I felt was missing from inFamous.

I could go on and on but I shouldn't be posting reviews in threads haha. As far as the inFamous and Prototype comparison go, if you really MUST compare the two, I would pick Prototype. Don't get me wrong though, inFamous was awesome, it's one of the best games I've played in a while and as a result I think it really speaks volumes about the strengths of Prototype when I say I like it not just a little better, but a lot better than inFamous. Again if you're on the fence you'd be best off to try it somewhere, but if you like what I outlined above I have no doubts that you will absolutely love the game...and if you hate it I accept no responsibility for any such purchase, har har.
    Avatar image for chiefmegadeth666
    CHIEFMEGADETH666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By CHIEFMEGADETH666

Why are people sounding so full of them selfs?
    Cause you dont like it?It's a video game not a novel!
    I for one think it's pretty good...
    Try for your selfs people,everyones different
    So dont follow lead...
    Got to take the good with the bad

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
    deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xiemos2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Xiemos2

I finished infamous with both good and evil and just finished up Prototype today and in all honesty, I enjoyed prototype gameplay much more, but it's a lot more rough around the edges. infamous has a way better overall presentation, from graphics, to voice acting, to a pretty decent story; and prototype gets pretty retarded towards the end with the military having SO many units. both games have their merits, and both games are bad ass; I wouldn't say one is definitely better than the other.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By CL60

It's fun, but it's just mindless fun that you will get bored of quick.

saltguy258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By saltguy258

for people that dont get it... the story goes like this...

alex mercer tried to threaten the world by releasing a deadly virus
    he threw a vial containing the virus to the floor... so that is the broken glass part
    once he did that he was shot DEAD, the virus got hold of him and as he was in the gentek place at the beginning they mention his name and sister so that is all he knows at first

he isn't amnesiatic, just unaware what he actually is. 

at the final cutscene he says he found out that he IS the virus... not just infected with it  

so to be final    gameplay character not alex mercer... but a consumed version of him

alex mercer = dead   

just pay attention to the cutscenes and you will know   

I LOVED THIS GAME it was amazing and challenging without being frustrating and the story made PERFECT sense just pay attention you people who didnt give prototype a fair try
    infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#37  Edited By infestedandy

There's a ton of sandbox style games out right now, but Prototype is something special. Sure there's hardly a coherent or memorable story to be had, and the graphics aren't anything to really marvel at. However, Prototype is a guilty pleasure. It's something you pop in for a couple hours and get extreme satisfaction in return. It's the first game I've ever played where right out of the box you have incredible abilities that actually feel responsive and satisfying (running up skyscrapers for one). I can tell you that the controls take some getting used to, but once you've figured it out it's definitely not a button-masher.

I read peoples' speculation and comparisons of Prototype to all these other games and you simply can't do that. No, it's not a 10 out of 10. No it's not Metal Gear, Gears of War, or any other high profile title. Prototype reminds me of what you wanted in the GTA series; to run around with all the special weapons, running from the cops, and trying to survive as long as you could (in a spectacular way). This game gives you all the weapons and so far has done an incredible job not making the whole experience monotonous. It really is worth checking out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.