Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prototype

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 09, 2009

Prototype is an open-world action game from Radical Entertainment. You are Alex Mercer, a human transformed by a deadly virus into a virtually invincible killing machine.

Waiting on a Review....

• 63 results
    Avatar image for shogunsupremacy
    ShogunSupremacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShogunSupremacy

Usually when a game comes I always look to IGN for the bottom line on weather or not I should buy a new game, and it pains me to not see a review up for Prototype. I really want this game but I don't know weather or not to get it because Ive been burned before on games that I bought that sucked ass!!!!! Sorry just venting!

Derangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Derangel

There is some talk floating around that Activion set the embargo date to the 11th or something like that.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

Got my copy this morning. Will post impressions in a couple of hours.

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Haze

Would the embargo stop people talking about the embargo? All very worrying.

ShogunSupremacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShogunSupremacy

wow, havin a blonde momet here what the hell is a embargo?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike
    @ShogunSupremacy said:
    " wow, havin a blonde momet here what the hell is a embargo? "
    Review embargoes are when publishers prohibit journalists from releasing reviews (or specific information or video or whatever) about a game until a certain date.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mike
    @ShogunSupremacy said:
    Review embargoes are when publishers prohibit journalists from releasing reviews (or specific information or video or whatever) about a game until a certain date.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Rhaknar

nothing will stop me getting this game at this point, ive seen way too many videos of it to not know what to expect.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Drebin_893
    @ShogunSupremacy said:
    Dissapointed face.

Google.
    ShogunSupremacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShogunSupremacy
    @Drebin_893 said:
    "
    @ShogunSupremacy said:
    Dissapointed face.

Google.
    "

I know, I suck!
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NickL

interested to see this review, im just itching for a new good 360 game

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Ineedaname

I can't help but think an embargo that late after release says something about the game, I've not played it so I can't say but that's not confidence in a game now is it?

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NickL
    @Ineedaname said:
    " I can't help but think an embargo that late after release says something about the game, I've not played it so I can't say but that's not confidence in a game now is it? "
    ya thats what it makes me think too... trying to get as many people to buy a game before reviews start showing as they can
    ShogunSupremacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShogunSupremacy

Well another thats funny is that I live in Virginia, (no thats not funny, well maybe?? heh) is that the game has a street date for June 10th here which is a Wednesday, and thats everywhere. All games I have ever bought have been out on Tuesday, so its been a weid situation from the word go!

DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By DevilishSix
    @Rhaknar said:
    "nothing will stop me getting this game at this point, ive seen way too many videos of it to not know what to expect. "

Same here. Radical are great developers.  I have the Prototype game guide and the game is massive.......over 90 missions.  I have the X360 and PS3 versions of Prototype preordered (the X360 one is a present for my son getting all A's and B's on his report card + I gave him a $50 bill).  Anyways I have seen 2 dev walk thru videos from CES and GDC and I can tell this is my kind of game. 

Lastly, I adore Infamous...its excellent, so when I heard from another podcast that another gamer actually feels Prototype is a better game despite the fact he loves Infamous.......thats all I need to know.
    denj3325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By denj3325

It got reviewed by some playstation magazine and got a 9 out of 10 Im pretty sure, the score is on metacritic, but no full review link to the article

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By CL60

Doesn't it come out tomorrow?

ShogunSupremacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShogunSupremacy
    @DevilishSix said:
    "
    @Rhaknar said:

I have the X360 and PS3 versions of Prototype preordered (the X360 one is a present for my son getting all A's and B's on his report card + I gave him a $50 bill).  "

Would I be out of line if I asked you to be my father? lol WhenI got a good report card my dad always said "good job now go get me a beer!!!!!"
    _Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By _Phara0h_

Well I have it too and I played like the first 2 missions and I'm liking it but the control is a little convoluted as you have a lot of powers where you have to switch too in certain moments, and in the beginning you'll not have all your powers but after 10 min you'll find lot's to do.  I hope I'll get used to it.

Also the game is quick and gives you a lot of enemy's and the camera is a little jerky or over sensitive. But this could be me not being use to it.

I have to say I've been playing InFamous (and loving it) and the control is very different and the game is very different. So all these things could all be me being used to InFamous and not used to Prototype. Also Infamous has a very stick to objects control and Prototype has more of a precise control.

The game looks good and it is bigger then infamous especially in draw distance, InFamous douse look better.
    The frame rate is good, and it looks really polished.

Well I'm going to finish InFamous then I'll play more of Prototype, because the powers in Prototype are sick....

ShogunSupremacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShogunSupremacy

Well thats good I think I will definitly pick up the game because the Toy R Us down the street is giving u a 20 dollar giftcard when you buy Prototype from them, so thats a hell of a deal in itself!

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Haze
    @Ineedaname said:
    " I can't help but think an embargo that late after release says something about the game, I've not played it so I can't say but that's not confidence in a game now is it? "
    The 11th is the day before its released here in Europe so it makes sense. Reviews could only be published after its on shelves on both sides of the atlantic. 
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ineedaname
    @denj3325: I seen an advert for that on the TV and at the end it says 9/10 in PSW and that's THE only review I can't help but think there's something dodgy going on there.
    I hope I am wrong as I do want a decent open world game, I'm looking at this or infamous but I think I'd get bored of either after a short while but I just want to see which will hold my attention for the longest.

@Haze: That doesn't make sense, alot of games get reviewed before they're released in Europe.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NickL

we will hear impressions from this game on tuesday also, as the bomb squad said sometime during e3 that they had it sitting in the office.

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Haze
    @Ineedaname: It makes sense if they are trying to stop bad reviews from affecting day one sales ;)
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Sooperspy

According to it's wikispace page, it has had three reviews.
    9/10 from PSW UK mag.
    8/10 from Official Playstation Magazine UK.
    7/10 from PC Zone.
    The reviews say that it has great free-roaming, you can kill people in many gory ways, and has stunning views.
    They also say that missions are a bit dull, too many features?????????????, and weak visuals.
    I'm still getting this tommorow. Cant wait

regnits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By regnits
    I have this months PC Zone and they have got very harsh with reviews over the last few years. So anything above 7 is worth buying if it scored 7.5 it would have got the recommended award. They give out recommended rewards for scores 75% - 89% above 90% is their must buy instant classic reward.

The only bad points I can see from the review are less than normal AI and the graphics. The missions are not much fun but in sandbox games the fun is normally up to the player how they want to do the missions. If you think about it GTAIV missions are dull if you do them without finding fun ways to complete them.

This seems like the best game so far from the developer so I think it's more than worth a look.
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Too many features" HUH?

Yeah I'm a bit worried by the slow reviews but all the little bits I've read from people with the game sounds positive.  Sounds like an upgraded and current version of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sooperspy
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud: yeah, I would have thought that having many features is a good thing
    yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By yani

As I'm stuck in bed with a broken leg, I've played a bunch of this today and so here are my impression from the games so far. Spoilers?

My initial reaction was, "dude, this sucks".  Really didn't like the feel of it to begin with but I thought I should see if it grew on me. Once I got used to how differently it controls compared to inFamous, with it being more of a brawler to inFamous' shooter, it really grew on me.  You can very quickly traverse the city but if you’re trying to collect the little blue orbs it might be a bit tricky as precise character control is not one of the games strong points.  The graphics are a bit lackluster, the camera could use some work and they really should have included more character models as you very quickly become aware of the clones.
      The game has a RPGish system where you earn xp for pretty much everything you do. You then spend said xp on a TON of different power ups which range from helping you get around faster to uber carnage moves that are incredibly satisfying.  The story is keeping me interested and is told though cut scenes during story missions with extra background told in a similar way to inFamous' dead drops.  The side missions, or "events", are a variety of challenges which vary from, "60 seconds, go kill dudes" to more stealthy objectives and are really worth doing for the xp.  More of these "events" open up as you play through the story missions and the difficulty increases as they do which keep them from becoming too repetitive. 
      The best moments for me have been those of mayhem where there is an all out battle between the games two factions with you slap bang in the middle killing everything and everything.  The worst moments have been the odd mission that involves protecting something as I really hate that kind of mission. The AI seems to be a bit weak however this is somewhat made up for with shear number of enemies.  Once the action cools down a window appears in the top left of the screen giving an account of the action including the various death tolls as well as the cost to the military in damages,  very satisfying when you first see the trillion $ total appear.  As I'm still playing through the game I can't pass final judgment and while I don't think the game is as polished or the controls as tight as inFamous, its still great fun.

ER 4 EVER

regnits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By regnits

From the PC Zone review the "too many features" were because the reviewer forgot how many other cool things that were unlocked. He just used some of the abilities to complete the game, so he feels the others were redundant. I still can't see how this is a bad point even after re-reading the review. :D

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Haze

Asked over on the 1Up boards. Its embargoed until Wednesday.

JukeboxJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JukeboxJoe

Got to remember it's just been E3 so sites likely don't have time to review all the games that came out during that period straight away

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Ineedaname said:
    yeah an embargo set after the game comes out is normally a bad thing
    its the developer saying "hey this game is not so good so don't tell anyone till after we've sold a few copies"
    Mootalstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mootalstrike

I pre-ordered, and yes, Activision said for people not to post reviews until Thursday.

Kraivyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kraivyne

It is sad to see that they have embargoed reviews. I will still be getting this as the videos so far have blown me away.

Hopefully this game won't disappoint.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Kraivyne said:
    " It is sad to see that they have embargoed reviews. I will still be getting this as the videos so far have blown me away. Hopefully this game won't disappoint. "
    well be sure to report back
    shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shakra
    @DevilishSix:  From what I've read on a few other sites infamous is a lot better than prototype, mostly because of balance and the story. I just finished infamous a couple of days ago and it was an excellent game. if prototype is half as good as infamous it will be worth it.
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ChickenPants

I wouldn't really trust that PSW 9/10 either.I was subscribed to that magazine for 2 years and it had terrible reviews.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sooperspy

if waiting on a review, go to metacritic and look it up. It currently has a 93/100 on 5 reviews

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rhaknar

IGN gave it a 7.5 http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/992/992950p1.html

they absolutely trash the graphics mainly

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By RHCPfan24
    Linkified IGN review

I would like to hear more about this game before I pass judgment or decide to get it.
    HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By HairyMike87

IGN gave it a 7.5

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By oraknabo

I've never seen this in HD, but everything I've seen looks pretty flat. NY in Prototype looks better than the city in Hulk:UD, but still looks like a bunch of boxes with window patterns on them. The city in Infamous and Liberty City in GTA IV look far more real. The pedestrians aren't too impressive either. I understand they have to sacrifice some detail to have a ton of activity going on, but it's sort of disappointing compared to the other cities we've seen recently. Maybe finally seeing the game will change my mind.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rhaknar
    @oraknabo said:
    " I've never seen this in HD, but everything I've seen looks pretty flat. NY in Prototype looks better than the city in Hulk:UD, but still looks like a bunch of boxes with window patterns on them. The city in Infamous and Liberty City in GTA IV look far more real. The pedestrians aren't too impressive either. I understand they have to sacrifice some detail to have a ton of activity going on, but it's sort of disappointing compared to the other cities we've seen recently. Maybe finally seeing the game will change my mind. "
    well, in pretty much every gameplay video you could see the boxy buildings, the non-detailedc civilians, the fog to hide the pop-in... and most people didnt care, and now all of a sudden, because of the IGN review, all these things make the game unplayable? I'm really trying not to sound like im making excuses for the game, because im not (i dont have it yet in fact), it just seems to me that people should know this already from the various videos. if you look for it its deffinately there, but at the same time, this doesnt seem to be the kind of game where you even have time to look for those short comings, it seems way to chaotic to even try and figure out what is 100yards away from you.

The thing is, along with the review, IGN posted a bunch of new videos, and the game STILL looks good to me. I guess i have really low standards
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By oraknabo
    @Rhaknar: Who said it was unplayable? I loved Hulk: UD and this looks like even more fun. I'm probably going to love this game, but I can still honestly say that the city is a little lacking compared to what we've been seeing this generation. I have seen the boxy buildings in videos for a while, but those were all supposed to be early builds. It wasn't unrealistic to hope that they might have added more detail to the world and pedestrians since then.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By VWGTI

The thought of having these these devistating powers yet buildings can't be destroyed worries me.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @HairyMike87 said:
    " IGN gave it a 7.5 "
    InFamous got 9.2
    We can all settle this dispute now, shall we?

The sad thing is this will sell like crazy on 360. This game never looked any good. It looked terribly generic with very gimmicky looking action.  My advice to you guys who don't already own a PS3 and inFamous, is to go buy Red Faction Guerilla. 

The only reason this game got any hype and advertising is because it looked "similar" to inFamous, which is a PS3 exclusive, therefore they needed something to counter it. 

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By angelkanarias

you can have mine: shit

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By oraknabo
    @TwoOneFive: I heard about this long before infamous. You can say the action looked gimmicky, but It's basically just an more gory update to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction which, while repetitive, was one of the most fun games on the PS2. This game may look bad visually, but it will be fun.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @oraknabo: meh. will be fun for....a few hours. Games like that don't hold me over. There needs to be more to the gameplay than simply button mashing and big explosions everywhere. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.