Minecraft's Creator Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 [UPDATED]

Posted by patrickklepek (4588 posts) -

UPDATE: The official line from Double Fine is short, appropriately mysterious, and will no doubt leave many speculating for months.

"Tim and Markus are talking," said the company to me in a statement just now. "Who knows what might happen?"

--

Tim Schafer wants to make a sequel to Psychonauts. That’s not news. Schafer has talked about this many times in the past, and mentioning interest during a Digital Spy interview isn't crazy.

The news was Markus “Notch” Persson, better known as the creator of Minecraft, offered to pony up the cash to help make Psychonauts 2 on Twitter. Persson claims he’s serious about it.

“Let's make Psychonauts 2 happen,” he said.

“I’m serious,” he said in a follow-up.

This all happened hours ago, long before Schafer had even woke up in San Francisco. He awoke to texts asking him to check Twitter.

“Man, so many tweets,” he said. “I assume this is all people asking for codes to Happy Action Theater and Rise of the Martian Bear?”

And then came this one:

“Oh wait,” he said. “Hm. This is interesting.”

This wouldn’t be the first time Double Fine Productions has accepted money from a Twitter backer, with Costume Quest for the PC and Psychonauts for the Mac having been funded by fan and XE.com founder Steven Dengler.

Dengler actually chimed in today, too.

“Let's move this discussion offline,” said Dengler.

So far, Double Fine has not issued an official response, but all eyes will remain on Twitter.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4588 posts) -

UPDATE: The official line from Double Fine is short, appropriately mysterious, and will no doubt leave many speculating for months.

"Tim and Markus are talking," said the company to me in a statement just now. "Who knows what might happen?"

--

Tim Schafer wants to make a sequel to Psychonauts. That’s not news. Schafer has talked about this many times in the past, and mentioning interest during a Digital Spy interview isn't crazy.

The news was Markus “Notch” Persson, better known as the creator of Minecraft, offered to pony up the cash to help make Psychonauts 2 on Twitter. Persson claims he’s serious about it.

“Let's make Psychonauts 2 happen,” he said.

“I’m serious,” he said in a follow-up.

This all happened hours ago, long before Schafer had even woke up in San Francisco. He awoke to texts asking him to check Twitter.

“Man, so many tweets,” he said. “I assume this is all people asking for codes to Happy Action Theater and Rise of the Martian Bear?”

And then came this one:

“Oh wait,” he said. “Hm. This is interesting.”

This wouldn’t be the first time Double Fine Productions has accepted money from a Twitter backer, with Costume Quest for the PC and Psychonauts for the Mac having been funded by fan and XE.com founder Steven Dengler.

“Let's move this discussion offline,” said Dengler.

So far, Double Fine has not issued an official response, but all eyes will remain on Twitter.

Staff
#2 Posted by Cows_R_Crunk (35 posts) -

Sounds like an excuse to play the first one.

#3 Posted by Level1Slime (10 posts) -

I'll fund Brutal Legend 2 then.

Is 5 bucks enough to get the ball rolling?

#4 Edited by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

Hell yeah.

#5 Posted by JLF1 (33 posts) -

Interesting.

Would love a second game.

#6 Posted by momofire (24 posts) -

That's freakin cool.

#7 Posted by juice8367 (443 posts) -

Exciting

#8 Posted by Tan (425 posts) -

I don't know what to think. Isn't it a little early for a news article about this?

Though Shafer's comment seems super interesting...

#9 Posted by UltimAXE (385 posts) -

The plot thickens.

Let's give it more than three hours to develop though, shall we?

#10 Posted by padraigd (7 posts) -

Time to play the original, too bad I missed out on the steam sale a few days ago.

#11 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

Hopefully this turns into something real, but honestly, I don't consider Twitter convos newsworthy.

#12 Posted by RetroVirus (1472 posts) -

Good, good. Psychonauts is a gem of a game.

#13 Posted by Atwa (620 posts) -

I will forever be in debt to Notch if he follows through.

#14 Posted by wewantsthering (1565 posts) -

Yes.

#15 Posted by Zidd (1846 posts) -

I'm currently playing psychonauts for the first time and I think its a great game so far.

#16 Posted by mlarrabee (2951 posts) -

Nice! Crazy happenings are good sometimes...

#17 Posted by evilalfie (27 posts) -

Good scoop Patrick.

#18 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (506 posts) -

@Atwa said:

I will forever be in debt to Notch if he follows through.

As will I.

I cannot express how much I hope this will come true.

#19 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Sounds like a perfect partnership.

Mojang published Psychonauts?

#20 Posted by Humanity (9228 posts) -

I hope if the sequel is made they make an even tougher Meat Circus 2.0 level.

#21 Posted by yindotrunks (95 posts) -

I hope it happens.

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, Dengler? Who the hell's Dengler? He wasn't mentioned anywhere else in the article.

#23 Posted by falling_fast (2222 posts) -

I own like three copies of the first psychonauts. this would be a day 1 purchase for me if it happened.

#24 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

@Level1Slime said:

Gonna need a bit more than that. Like maybe 10 or 15.

#25 Posted by Ghostiet (5271 posts) -
@Level1Slime said:

Don't even mock. I would play the shit out of a Brutal Legend sequel with more refined mechanics.
#26 Posted by FrenchFriedFool (168 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, Dengler? Who the hell's Dengler? He wasn't mentioned anywhere else in the article.

"with Costume Quest for the PC and Psychonauts for the Mac having been funded by fan and XE.com founder Steven Dengler.

“Let's move this discussion offline,” said Dengler."

Consider reading before posting :D

#27 Posted by tyxja (279 posts) -

You know what? I'm fucking giddy as all hell right now over this.

Not even just over the possibility of there being a sequel to Psychonauts, but the fact that it could come to fruition in such an amazing way.

#28 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@FrenchFriedFool:

I did, though. I searched through the article for the name (although not thoroughly enough, apparently).

#29 Posted by Arrested_Developer (718 posts) -

We need more inside info on this, you guys need to invite Brad Muir over for lunch.  Then hold him down and tickle him till he squeals.

#30 Posted by MMann (64 posts) -

The only catch will be that all translations of the game have to be crowdsourced in order to save money, and Double Fine isn't allowed to screen them for racial slurs before they put the code out to the public for testing. That's just how Mojang rolls, after all.

#31 Posted by MormonWarrior (2592 posts) -

I finally got around to playing Psychonauts and, as a platformer, it totally sucks. Great premise and writing, with a neat art style, saved it from being total garbage to me. I guess that's always Double Fine's strength: the humor and writing. That's why stuff like their Happy Action Theater are way more interesting to me than Brutal Legend or Stacking...because they embrace absurdity and go nuts.

But hey, by all means, if they make a decent platformer with that same neat concept and great characters, I'll check it out.

#32 Posted by Lokno (386 posts) -

I wonder if he was watching the TNT where Brad said it would take a cartoonish sack of money to make the game?

#33 Posted by bassman2112 (837 posts) -

I know there's a lot of hate for Reddit here, but I'm fairly certain they spawned all of this

Check the thread out, Notch is a very storied Reddit user so it's very likely he got involved because of this.

Also, he has responded in that thread (and some other ones) - you can check his comment history here

#34 Posted by eulogize_my_baked_goods (141 posts) -

Pleasemakethishappenpleasemakethishappenpleasemakethishappen...

#35 Posted by Jrad (622 posts) -

Up until now, I've held off on buying Minecraft, but if this actually works out, I'm buying the shit out of it. Notch is amazing.

#36 Posted by radioactivez0r (847 posts) -

Summary: Guy A said something on Twitter. Guy B sort of responded. HOT OFF THE PRESS

#37 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@evilalfie said:

Good scoop Patrick.

Not really, was on eurogamer hours ago.

#38 Posted by bunnyfiend (28 posts) -

Anyone else fear a DNF scenario? Here's a pile of cash, go make something you love.

#39 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

wow, notch really knows how to make people blow their load on the internet, no wonder minecraft took off the way it did

#40 Posted by Undeadpool (4937 posts) -

@radioactivez0r said:

Summary: Guy A said something on Twitter. Guy B sort of responded. HOT OFF THE PRESS

Accurate Non-Reductive Summary: Someone on Twitter made an actual offer he could easily back up, not some fanboy blueskying. Guy B responded by saying they should talk about it less publicly.

Yeah, there's NOTHING there, alright.

#41 Posted by Natedogg2 (452 posts) -

This is probably the best bit of news that I've heard so far this year.

#42 Posted by Sweep (8859 posts) -

Twitter account: Vindicated.

#43 Posted by Diablos1125 (179 posts) -

@Level1Slime said:

THIS!!!

#44 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

MAKE IT HAPPEN!

#45 Posted by Elyk247 (367 posts) -

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO! That is some exciting news!!!

#46 Posted by ch3burashka (5072 posts) -

That sure is awesome of Notch. I imagine he's the only one who can independently make such an offer, but at least this opens more opportunities for unorthodox funding in the future.

#47 Posted by MisterMouse (3553 posts) -

That is a really cool way to see something like that happen.

#48 Posted by Clark (110 posts) -

Awesome!

#49 Posted by Lazyaza (2181 posts) -

Man, Notch is awesome. Dood deserves all the respect (and money) he gets and then some. =)

#50 Posted by Shaanyboi (1291 posts) -

This has got to be the coolest way for ANY game to move into development :P Even if it's not set in stone or anything...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.