Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SCEE Studio Liverpool

Company »

Sony's Studio Liverpool was a British game developer and publisher born from the defunct 8-bit company Imagine Software. Originally known as Psygnosis, it became part of Sony in 1993, and was renamed Sony Studio Liverpool in 2001. The studio was closed in August 2012.

Rollcage - in HD!

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Edited By BlazeHedgehog

(Did the video get cut off? Click here)  

Every now and then I pull out my copies of Rollcage for the PC and Rollcage 2 for the Playstation. Though everybody always associates developer Psygnosis with Wipeout as far as racing games are concerned, I was always more partial to Rollcage. The controls are not nearly as floaty as you get in Wipeout (seeing as all the cars in Rollcage have, y'know, wheels) so I found it much easier to get a handle on it. Like Wipeout, Rollcage's big hook is that these cars are not bound by the normal laws of earth physics - in Wipeout, that meant all your vehicles were sleek anti-gravity hover cars, but in Rollcage, that means that your vehicles can drive around on the ceiling as long as there's a surface that leads you up there. Numerous tracks are designed so that there are things like speedboosters and weapons littering the walls and ceilings. There's also a ton of destructible buildings and objects strewn around the sides of tracks, too, and you can set some clever traps if you shoot at them as you pass by. Rollcage 2 is definitely my favorite, though, as it has improved physics and over twice the content of its predecessor.

There's a lot to like in these games. They just feel... dirtier than Wipeout's ultra-clean utopia. If the hovercars of Wipeout are F1 racers, the vehicles of Rollcage would be the Extreme Offroad Trophy Trucks - and I wouldn't have it any other way. Unfortunately, Rollcage never achieved quite the cult status Wipeout did, so it kind of fell by the wayside. A shame, too - wouldn't mind seeing a Rollcage HD turn up one day.
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

(Did the video get cut off? Click here)  

Every now and then I pull out my copies of Rollcage for the PC and Rollcage 2 for the Playstation. Though everybody always associates developer Psygnosis with Wipeout as far as racing games are concerned, I was always more partial to Rollcage. The controls are not nearly as floaty as you get in Wipeout (seeing as all the cars in Rollcage have, y'know, wheels) so I found it much easier to get a handle on it. Like Wipeout, Rollcage's big hook is that these cars are not bound by the normal laws of earth physics - in Wipeout, that meant all your vehicles were sleek anti-gravity hover cars, but in Rollcage, that means that your vehicles can drive around on the ceiling as long as there's a surface that leads you up there. Numerous tracks are designed so that there are things like speedboosters and weapons littering the walls and ceilings. There's also a ton of destructible buildings and objects strewn around the sides of tracks, too, and you can set some clever traps if you shoot at them as you pass by. Rollcage 2 is definitely my favorite, though, as it has improved physics and over twice the content of its predecessor.

There's a lot to like in these games. They just feel... dirtier than Wipeout's ultra-clean utopia. If the hovercars of Wipeout are F1 racers, the vehicles of Rollcage would be the Extreme Offroad Trophy Trucks - and I wouldn't have it any other way. Unfortunately, Rollcage never achieved quite the cult status Wipeout did, so it kind of fell by the wayside. A shame, too - wouldn't mind seeing a Rollcage HD turn up one day.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#2  Edited By Soap

I used to love Rollcage, I've still got my copy sitting in my game stack. 

Were they based on that RC car? ....or just unoffically? lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I associate Psygnosis with Destruction Derby myself.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @Soap said:
    " I used to love Rollcage, I've still got my copy sitting in my game stack.   Were they based on that RC car? ....or just unoffically? lol "
    I think it was just a coincidence.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Soap
    @BlazeHedgehog said:
    " @Soap said:
    " I used to love Rollcage, I've still got my copy sitting in my game stack.   Were they based on that RC car? ....or just unoffically? lol "
    I think it was just a coincidence. "
    Was a pretty extreme coincidence though right? lol I remember those things were at there height of popularity here in the UK then as well, not that I can remember what it was called for the life of me.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond
    @Khann said:
    " I associate Psygnosis with Destruction Derby myself. "
    All about WipEout and Lemmings to me.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Diamond: Same here, although I also take Rollcage for a quick spin from time to time.

The game that really makes me think of Psygnosis, though, is Agony. Oh, and Shadow of the Beast also pops in there, too.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By danielkempster

I played the hell out of Rollcage back in the day and I'd love to see it get a current-gen revival. In fact, I think it would be perfectly suited to the PSP platform. It's already been proven that arcade racers like this can work well on the PSP (WipEout Pure, for instance). At this point, I'd even settle for the PS1 games making their way onto the PlayStation Store. It's a shame Rollcage probably won't get a jump-start any time soon.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Seppli

God - how I love Rollcage. How I wish a developer would take on the task to bring this franchise to the current generation...

How I wish DICE would do it. In Frostbite Engine. With full destruction and ground deformation. It would be off the hook!

Remember Rallisports Challenge? Yeah - DICE made the best arcade rally racing games on the original XBOX. They'd definitely pull off the job.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Seppli

Oh how I wish DICE would merry their Rallisports Challenge arcade offroad expertise with their unmatched skill in blowing shit the fuck up - to bring ROLLCAGE to the current generation of hardware and gamers.

It'd be the perfect storm.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

@Soap said:

Was a pretty extreme coincidence though right? lol I remember those things were at there height of popularity here in the UK then as well, not that I can remember what it was called for the life of me.

You were probably thinking of the Tyco Rebound. I'm sure it's been eating away at you all this time.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Soap

@EvilNiGHTS said:

@Soap said:

You were probably thinking of the Tyco Rebound. I'm sure it's been eating away at you all this time.

Thanks! You've saved me! After three years of sleepless nights, near 24 hour google searches and constantly annoying family and friends looking for information on it I can finally rest easy knowing it was the Tyco Rebound! :D

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

@Soap: Who says the internet is worthless? Just think, in another three years we may finally find out who the guy who did that thing was after all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.