Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Puppeteer

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 05, 2013

After his soul is trapped in a puppet's body, young Kutaro must fight against the shadowy forces of the Bear King who rules over the Moon in order to get his real body back.

This Game Looks Better Than I Thought

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LikeaSsur

I know it's pointless arguing what is already decided, but Puppeteer got really shafted in not being at least a runner up in the Best Looking Game in the most recent GOTY deliberations.

Brad's denouncement of the game getting stale as the story went on is completely unfounded; every act is thematically different and varied, sometimes even within the act. The menus are held up by ropes and pulleys, and stage hazards and moving pieces are controlled by gears. All of the characters are very unique in their design, and I'm not even talking about playing the game in 3D.

Oh, well. I'm writing this so the game gets somewhat the due I think it deserves. It looks great, and will stick with me more than the current runners-up.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

It was my No.3 on my own GOTY list, and I think it's incredibly under-appreciated. And yes, it's insane to hear (second hand, as I didn't listen/watch any of their GOTY stuff) how quickly Brad denounced it out of the Best Looking Game. It's full of so much visual variety, and it all animates superbly.

Didn't The Last of Us end up taking it? Now I bloody adore TLoU and all, but... visually speaking it's got nothing on Puppeteer.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@yummylee: Yes, The Last of Us won, and while it does look fantastic, it does struggle with a few minor things on the PS3, whereas Puppeteer shows no such thing.

I'm willing to bet in about 5 years time, Last of Us will not age gracefully, but Puppeteer (Like Wind Waker) will still shine through.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@yummylee said:

Didn't The Last of Us end up taking it? Now I bloody adore TLoU and all, but... visually speaking it's got nothing on Puppeteer.

I think to do that kind of award justice, there needs to be two categories. A dev making real-world representational graphics is doing an almost completely different thing than a dev creating a visually rich fantasy world. I don't know what the nominees for best visuals were, but if you're debating, say TLoU, Battlefield 4, Tomb Raider and... Puppeteer, you just can't have a real conversation.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Puppeteer is so damn fun and looks soooooo good. It's presentation is phenomenal. To bad it sunk like every other PS3 exclusive because Sony can't market for shit.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Yep, easily one of the best looking PS3 games.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hence why Giant Bomb game of the year debate went so long on this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.