Have a 3DS? Buy this game!

#1 Posted by MEATBALL (3517 posts) -

Pushmo (Pullblox in PAL regions) is a pretty damn excellent puzzler from Intelligent Systems. I hadn't heard about it until its release on the e-shop yesterday, I took a chance on it thanks to a friend's recommendation and have been extremely surprised by its quality. Yes, that's right, a new release on a Nintendo download platform that is actually good! It's one of the best downloadable games I've played on a Nintendo system, and while I realise that might not be the most ringing endorsement, I really do feel this is an excellent game and highly recommend it. 

It's $7 in the US, around 5 pounds in the UK and $9 in Australia, and while I'm sure some who have grown used to paying 99 cents for downloadable games on IOS and Android devices will be shocked that a company would dare to charge such an outrageous price, I do feel it's worth the money and a pretty spot-on price point for the game. Pushmo is a title that I think Nintendo could have easily released as an overpriced 3DS cartridge but were wise to release as a downloadable game. I hope Pushmo is a sign of things to come for the e-shop, it would be really nice if it grew into a really robust downloadable platform. This isn't the first time a quality game has been released on a Nintendo download service, however, so it could just as easily wind up just being another rare diamond in the rough like Lostwinds and the Bit.Trip series before it. Either way, though, I think it's pretty much a must-own for the system.

Has anyone else picked up Pushmo/Pullblox?

#2 Edited by markini6 (452 posts) -

Yep, dl'ed it after watching a trailer, really enjoying it so far. I've played it for over two hours and am only on the 3rd world out of about ten or so (I think), so it seems like it's going to be good value in terms of length as well as quality. Love the intuitive controls and really nice aesthetic, hope Nintendo put out a lot more games of this quality on the eshop.

#3 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Seems pretty legit. Might as well, not using it for much else.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (19071 posts) -

Got it yesterday and it's great. Easily one of the best games on 3DS.

#5 Posted by AjayRaz (12477 posts) -

i'm considering it. it reminds me a lot of Picross 3D for some reason and that can only mean great things

#6 Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

It looked extremely... weird to me. I wasn't actually thinking about it. Maybe I need to look at it again. It might take some convincing though.

#7 Posted by Jolt92 (1588 posts) -

Have been playing this today and I absolutely love it. I hope, like Meatball, that this is a sign of what's to come to the eShop and not just a one off thing.

Buy it if you like puzzle games or just good games!

#8 Posted by Boboblaw (330 posts) -

I've seen alot of people on other forums saying that this is excellent.

Everyone in this thread reccomending it was the push I needed to go and buy it. Only 3 puzzles in and I can see I'm going to love it.

Thanks guys

#9 Posted by Hao_Kaiser (31 posts) -

Man, I didn't even realize this was going to come out in America.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, MEATBALL. I just finished world one, and I'm already in love.

Easily my favorite 3DS game thus far.

#10 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

I also got it today, and I'm liking it a lot. It definitely reminded me of Catherine with the whole block pushing and pulling. Though that's where the similarities end. It's got a lovely charm, and a level creator which is basically free DLC, if you know where to find good levels via the QR codes.

#11 Posted by Kanden (132 posts) -

Picked it up yesterday! I used some of the money I won from a twitter contest that Wayforward held a while back!

#12 Edited by DeF (4979 posts) -

@Ace829 said:

I also got it today, and I'm liking it a lot. It definitely reminded me of Catherine with the whole block pushing and pulling. Though that's where the similarities end. It's got a lovely charm, and a level creator which is basically free DLC, if you know where to find good levels via the QR codes.

if only it had more sheep ...

oh well, I could always build a sheep-level myself :D

I think I might get this!

edit: 6,5 hours later: I just bought it and finished the tutorial levels :) I can see this getting very interesting!

#13 Posted by RecSpec (3950 posts) -

Hold up, did you just say Intelligent Systems? Of Advance Wars fame?

Fucking sold.

#14 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Are they selling 3DS point cards in Canada? I picked up a 3DS at Walmart yesterday on impulse, $169 for the system and Zelda was too good of a deal, so I want to get some downloadable games as well. I couldn't find any.

#15 Posted by Peanut (955 posts) -

Yeah, they sell the cards in Canada. Saw some at Walmart tonight actually.

Anyways, I got this when it popped up and I've spent a good few unintentional sessions with it. I find when I get on a roll I can't put it down. I'm on the 4th section now and I'm getting stuck on some of the puzzles for pretty lengthy amounts of time.

#16 Posted by DarkShaper (1349 posts) -

I'm picking up a 3DS later this month, I will pick this up with it.

#17 Posted by MidgardDragon (151 posts) -

Great game. 3D Land is the must-have boxed title and Pushmo is now the must-have downloadable title. Be prepared for being stumped on more than one occasion though.

#18 Posted by Bollard (5870 posts) -

I saw this on the store and was like oh man they've finally made some 3DSWare type titles! But after looking at the screenshots I was put off. However, after seeing this and IGN giving it 9.5/10 and a recommendation as "The best downloadable title Nintendo has released on any of their stores, ever" I think I'm gunna have to buy a 3DS store game!

#19 Posted by MormonWarrior (2671 posts) -

Might get it for my bro...he's got a 3DS.

#20 Posted by JJOR64 (19071 posts) -

@MormonWarrior said:

Might get it for my bro...he's got a 3DS.

DO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

If he likes puzzle games.

#21 Posted by Asger (200 posts) -

It's a very good game!

#22 Posted by GunstarRed (5486 posts) -

It's cool. I played it for about an hour and a half and haven't returned to it since. The IGN review swayed me into spending the rest of the money I had stored in the system on it.

#23 Posted by PirateNipple (95 posts) -

This game is great and is already much tougher than I thought it would be. It's demanding more "outside the box" thinking than any game I've played in a long time. I was absolutely stumped on 1-18 last night and after about 15 minutes put it away and went to sleep. Just now I fired it up, looked at it for about 10 seconds, and breezed through it.

The level creation and QR code system is great, it makes great use of the hardware's capabilities.

#24 Posted by drevilbones (89 posts) -

@RecSpec: This is what sold me on it as well.

#25 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

After seeing this thread I took your advice. Thank you, sir. This game is awesome.

#26 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (676 posts) -

Warms the cockles of my heart to see something like this. The past six months have been some pretty rough sledding for Nintendo. Gleefully plowed through the tutorials this morning.

#27 Posted by DeF (4979 posts) -

3-17 kicked my ass so hard. The simplest looking levels have been the hardest so far.

#28 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -

3DS is starting to get some decent games. I generally have a 5 game rule before buying a console. Super Mario, Star Fox, Mario Kart and Ghost Recon seem worth buying. This would be numero cinco. Not to mention the Zelda remake.

#29 Posted by DeF (4979 posts) -

@Boiglenoight said:

3DS is starting to get some decent games. I generally have a 5 game rule before buying a console. Super Mario, Star Fox, Mario Kart and Ghost Recon seem worth buying. This would be numero cinco. Not to mention the Zelda remake.

don't forget that you also get the Zelda Four Swords Anniversary game for free until the end of February (although that is also available via a DSi/DSiXL if you have one)

#30 Posted by Renachan (137 posts) -

This is making me wish I had a 3DS, and at least am adding this to my to get list. The puzzles are my fav part of Catherine, so similar puzzles is good for me. Get that it's not quite the same, but puzzles like that are apparently something I need more of in my life.

#31 Posted by Loopah (133 posts) -

This game is excellent! I've been addicted to it for the past few days. 3-17 exhausted me as well! Not sure what it was about it, but it definitely took me at least 3x as long to solve that one as the others! I'm looking forward to solving some of the community Pushmo's when I finish up the included one's in the game.

#32 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

The game is great. Reminds me how dedicated handhelds can have smaller games yet of an incredible quality. I'll take $7 Pushmo over 7 .99 cent apps any day of the week.

#33 Posted by DeF (4979 posts) -

does anybody know what that "update" did?

(check your "previously downloaded titles" ... it says "update" [europe])

#34 Posted by Loopah (133 posts) -

This game is great! It's kept me from Mario Land 3D! That's saying something....

#35 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I just got it, really really like it. I found myself quite addicted, I only was supposed to play for a few mins but ended up always saying "Oh just one more".

#36 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

Yes. Pushmo/Pullblox/引ク押ス is the type of game that the 3DS-Ware section should be full of, and you should buy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.