Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Puzzle Agent 2

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 30, 2011

Nelson Tethers returns to action in the second puzzle-centric adventure game from Telltale.

What Do You Want In The Sequel?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ch3burashka

Like Leeloo and bacon cheeseburgers before it, the first Puzzle Agent was "for lack of a better word, perfect". However, it wasn't perfect enough. Personally, I want to see a less linear story, with more investigation. I haven't played many TellTale games, but from S&M 104, I got a feeling they're capable of exploration gameplay (for better or worse). Also, if they plan on making Puzzle Agent a thing which I'm all for, they've got to improve their art design. Annable's design is fantastic - I love the look of Tethers, the Hidden People, Davner, et all, but zooming in on pixelated pencil drawings ain't pretty. Either draw every frame in the game or develop some kind of middleware (speedpencil.com isn't taken). And, as a final aside, I hope they bring back the characters and hence their voice actors, specifically Sheriff Bahg. That guy was hi-LAY-rious. 

PS Note that it's called Puzzle Agent 2, not Puzzle Agent, Season 1 Episode 2, which frankly is kind of a bummer. If that distinction can be extrapolated, it seems that they're going to finish the Scoggins story (in 2, or 3, or...) and that'll be the end of that. I'd love to see FBI's Department of Puzzles Research Top Agent be sent out into the field into other locations as well, to solve other mysteries. I hear Greenvale has hella puzzles...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

I just want it to be longer, with more varied puzzle types. If I have to box in any more damn bugs I'm gonna be pissed. Speaking of which, I felt like a number of the puzzles weren't very clear about what they wanted from you. Four or five times, I solved a puzzle correctly and submitted it, only to be rejected because it turned out my presupposition about the rules of the puzzle was incorrect. It's really deflating when you miss a puzzle because of that, as opposed to when you just weren't thinking it all the way through and you have that sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when you finally figure out what had you stumped. Instead, you just end up feeling cheated.

I suppose a bit more of actual adventure game overworld puzzlesolving instead of the completely linear "Now I need to go here, so I'll open my map and then click on it and I'm there"-style overworld design of the first game.

As for the art style, I really enjoyed the low-fps look of it, but like you said, zooming in on the pixelated art doesn't look so good.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By rjpelonia

Puzzles.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ch3burashka
    @ajamafalous said:
    " I just want it to be longer, with more varied puzzle types. If I have to box in any more damn bugs I'm gonna be pissed. Speaking of which, I felt like a number of the puzzles weren't very clear about what they wanted from you. Four or five times, I solved a puzzle correctly and submitted it, only to be rejected because it turned out my presupposition about the rules of the puzzle was incorrect. It's really deflating when you miss a puzzle because of that, as opposed to when you just weren't thinking it all the way through and you have that sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when you finally figure out what had you stumped. Instead, you just end up feeling cheated. I suppose a bit more of actual adventure game overworld puzzlesolving instead of the completely linear "Now I need to go here, so I'll open my map and then click on it and I'm there"-style overworld design of the first game.  As for the art style, I really enjoyed the low-fps look of it, but like you said, zooming in on the pixelated art doesn't look so good. "
    Totally. Some of the puzzles were absolutely confusing, and I solved them with a 50/50 combo of dumb luck and re-re-re-reading the rules and trying to figure out what it wants from me. Aside from "good" puzzles, a greater variety would be much appreciated, as would a Layton-esque overlay to write on. 

Also, I got a new one: more screams. The screams are absolutely fantastic. 
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By IBurningStar
    @RJPelonia said:
    " Puzzles. "
    And an Agent.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ch3burashka
    @IBurningStar said:
    " @RJPelonia said:
    " Puzzles. "
    And an Agent. "
    Perhaps a numeral for good measure.
    SoftCoreDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By SoftCoreDave

All stated above but longer, more varied puzzles and clearer explanation of what some of the puzzles want from you. Really enjoyed the first one so looking forward to it.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Tordah

I guess I just want more of the same, really. It would be nice if it was a bit longer and had more varied puzzles. Also, more screams.

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By krisgebis

Same as most mention (but maybe still keep it lowframes). And also increase the puzzle difficulty slightly. The first one was too easy, and most would be solved in 1 tries. The one exeption would be a puzzle I could understand what I was supposed to do. Not even when guessing the right answer did I get it.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ch3burashka
    @Krisgebis said:
    " Same as most mention (but maybe still keep it lowframes). And also increase the puzzle difficulty slightly. The first one was too easy, and most would be solved in 1 tries. The one exeption would be a puzzle I could understand what I was supposed to do. Not even when guessing the right answer did I get it. "
    Some puzzles were indeed hard to comprehend. I think that if they add a way to draw on the screen (via a Layton-esque filter) to work out the problem, most of the puzzles could be solved. I know the 'crows on the line' puzzles I only got because I worked it out on a piece of paper. 

On a slight tangent, Tethers solves crossword puzzles every damn day - he should use big-boy words more. For some reason, I've been thinking about 'recondite' for the past week now, can't get it out of my head. 
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ch3burashka

Time to revitalize this here thread.

Whenever you solve a puzzle, it says you spent ~73K of taxpayer money to solve it. There a constant tally of your taxpayer drain, but it really doesn't mean anything since every attempt is equally costly. It was an incredibly minor detail, but I'd like to see them do something with it. Perhaps this time he has a limited budget, and he has to be scrupulous with his attempts?
    ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ma_rc_01

I just want more of it. and by "it" I mean that astronaut guy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.