Steam demo

#1 Posted by jakandratchet (17 posts) -

I downloaded the demo and wasn't very impressed.  Is the actual game anything like the demo?

#2 Edited by EuanDewar (4791 posts) -

Nope, the full game is actually a Top Down RTS with some fantastic coloured lighting. (seriously what is going on here?)
#3 Posted by onarum (2021 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:
" Nope, the full game is actually a Top Down RTS with some fantastic coloured lighting. (seriously what is going on here?) "
Someone trying to troll I guess.
#4 Posted by DragonBloodthirsty (470 posts) -

As a general rule, if you're "not very impressed" and the game didn't get rave reviews and you also don't have a group of people to play with immediately, chances are it's not worth too much.

Note that having no reviews might mean it got overlooked (Portal fell into that box when it first came out).

#5 Posted by EuanDewar (4791 posts) -
@onarum:
Then its the most abstract attempt i've ever seen, its not even like he's trying to sucker us or get our blood boiling its just...Weird?
#6 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:
" @onarum: Then its the most abstract attempt i've ever seen, its not even like he's trying to sucker us or get our blood boiling its just...Weird? "
maybe he posted this topic in the wrong forum?
#7 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Wut.

#8 Posted by jakandratchet (17 posts) -

not trying to troll, just wanted to know if it runs fullscreen and plays like a normal fps, is that really too much to ask before i buy it

#9 Posted by jakandratchet (17 posts) -

because in the demo, it doesn't do either

#10 Posted by onarum (2021 posts) -
@jakandratchet said:
" not trying to troll, just wanted to know if it runs fullscreen and plays like a normal fps, is that really too much to ask before i buy it "
Ok, what do you consider a "normal" FPS? the game is over 12 years old, things were a little bit different back then.

As far as the full screen thing yes it does(just launched my own copy that came with the ID mega pack I bought in some sale and never installed).
#11 Posted by jakandratchet (17 posts) -

like wasd controls and stuff.  Sorry to offend anyone.

#12 Edited by onarum (2021 posts) -
@jakandratchet said:

" like wasd controls and stuff.  Sorry to offend anyone. "

Yeah, wasd and mouse look, but it's pretty slow when compared to modern FPS games, has very sub par AI, will involve collecting keys and what not and doesn't have a very good story, like I said the standards where different back then, it's still an enjoyable game though imo.

Also I don't think you've offended anyone, I was just joking about the trolling.
#13 Posted by Ziron (64 posts) -

It's a lot faster than your average modern FPS. What are you talking about?

#14 Posted by TMThomsen (2070 posts) -
@jakandratchet: Check the options menu.
#15 Edited by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

Someone doesn't know how to turn mouselook on! 

PS @onarum: You've clearly never played it online.  The Quake games play at breakneck speed compared to modern shooters.

#16 Posted by Helushune (215 posts) -

The lack of technical information in this post and the replies is painful. 

It runs like crap because it's most likely on the software render instead of OpenGL.  You can find that in the options as well as the ability to enable full screen and mouselook.  Of course, even though the game is old it depends on what you're running it on.  If it's a laptop with an Intel GMA video card, it's going to run like crap regardless because that chipset, put nicely, is absolutely terrible.

#17 Posted by groin (838 posts) -
@onarum: Quake 2 multiplayer is really fast.
#18 Posted by LCom (39 posts) -

Even if you're not very excited with the main game, Quake II had a pretty huge community, which means there are a ton of mods that you can go through. Action Quake II is one such mod, and it remains one of my favorite multiplayer experiences to date.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.