Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Quake III Arena

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Dec 02, 1999

The third installment of the Quake series shakes things up again by being designed solely for multiplayer combat. It focuses on gladiatorial combat in a hellish dimension.

Is it possible to get this game to run on Vista?

Neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Neezie

I want to get in on TNT this week, so I found my old copy and tried to install it. It tells me that it is not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running. Is there a trick to getting it to install and run?

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By groin

The game runs fine on Vista. If you're having problems with installation then try running setup.exe directly from the CD. The retail version is way out of date so you'll need to patch it (found here: http://www.quakeunity.com/file=1150).

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By emem

@Neezie: It runs fine on Windows 7, so.. try installing the point release 1.32c (full). I think I stopped playing Q3 right before Vista came out, but it should run using a compatibility mode (98 or XP).

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mnzy

Tried compatibility mode? Right click on the .exe -> properties -> somewhere in there.
    I played original Quake 3 in Windows 7, so it should work in Vista, too.

Why don't they use Quake Live btw?

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By groin

@mnzy said:

Tried compatibility mode? Right click on the .exe -> properties -> somewhere in there. Why don't they use Quake Live btw?

Probably because you need a premium account to run your own server. It also restricts the number of non-premium users to 3 on that server.

Neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Neezie

Still can't get it to go. I've gone into the disc and tried the set up but that just doesn't launch. Weird.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By buft
    @mnzy said:
    that would be good, you wouldn't need to dust off your CD key then or purchase a new copy.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rattle618

They should just use the Quake 3 online browser version,

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mnzy
    @groin: Oh wow, didn't know that. Long time since I played QL. Looks like they made some severe cuts for the non-premium users.
    (Also it doesn't have Rocket Arena 3, which made it useless for me from the start)
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mnzy
    @buft said:

@mnzy said:

that would be good, you wouldn't need to dust off your CD key then or purchase a new copy.
    Quake 3 servers don't validate CD keys since like 2000. Type in whatever you want.
    (I think there are exceptions, but generally it's true)
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By emem

@mnzy said:

@groin: Oh wow, didn't know that. Long time since I played QL. Looks like they made some severe cuts for the non-premium users. (Also it doesn't have Rocket Arena 3, which made it useless for me from the start)

I think I saw Clan Arena 6on6 or 8on8 or something like that.. which is good enough, imho. But none of the good old maps were in there when I tested it.

@mnzy said:

Quake 3 servers don't validate CD keys since like 2000. Type in whatever you want. (I think there are exceptions, but generally it's true)

That's a false statement mate. With the point release 1.32 and punkbuster they turned it back on and all the legit servers (osp, cpma, ra3, ut etc) had cd key validation (I think at least until 2007, no idea how it is now). Baseq3 = cheaters paradise.

Neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Neezie

I got the game to install, after setting compatibility to windows 98 it took 30 minutes for the set up screen to actually come up. Haven't tried running it yet

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By rjaylee

@Neezie: I'm running into the exact same issue as you right now. If it takes 30 minutes to open, I guess that at least gives me time to download the point release.

Snoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Snoman

You need to use the 2nd setup.exe on the disc. Do not run the setup.exe that you first see when you browse the disc. Open the folder named "Quake3" on the disc and run the setup.exe in there. You don't need compatibility mode, which is the culprit for the 30 minute hangup.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By WickedCestus

Anything's possible if you put your mind to it!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Marz

I just installed it the other day on my Windows 7 64-bit machine and it works fine.  

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Sessh

A different question: Did you need gamespy or whatever to get into multiplayer games? Because there is literally no one playing anymore. (Yeah I know Quake Live...still).

I really can't seem to remember anymore since it's been quite a while (online at least - still a great game for LAN parties).

Or maybe I just need to patch it...hmm...

Edit: Okay, yeah, patched it and there's tons of games. Apparently I'm an idiot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.