Quake Live Exits Beta; Subscription Options Announced

• 69 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

In beta no longer, id Software's Quake Live is now offering two new ways to get into its browser-based shooter action: via ad-free "Premium" and "Pro" subscriptions.

With a Premium membership, you'll be able to access 20 subscription-exclusive maps, an exclusive "Freeze Tag" mode, clan creation and joining options, and have your match stats stored for six months. Premium is $24 a year and that's not quite all it adds to the shooter. It also supports custom profile wallpaper in addition to subscription-based awards. 

A Pro-level subscription, on the other hand, will run you $48 a year. Pro includes all of Premium's perks, but also gives you the ability to create your own servers and invite up to three other non-paying friends into Premium-specific maps. This is in addition to giving you the option to create your own clan and join up to 10 others, storing your match stats for 12 months, and access to Pro-specific awards.

Quake Live will continue to be free if you desire. The standard version of the game will remain ad-supported and will continue to provide over 40 arenas across five game modes, match-making, and even browser-based stat tracking.  

== TEASER ==If you've got an interest in this business, either as a Standard user or possibly a Pro-power-player, take a gander at the game's official website. If you're curious about what'll be offered insofar as the pay-to-play maps, we've got your back (just below):

Premium Maps  

• Aerowalk (Duel)
• Battleforged (Duel)
• Black Cathedral (CA)
• Cold War (CA)
• Deep Inside (TDM)
• Dismemberment (Duel)
• Dreadful Place (TDM)
• Focal Point (Duel)
• Hektik (Duel)
• Industrial Accident (CTF)
• Intervention (TDM)
• Japanese Castles (CTF)
• Leviathan (TDM)
• Overkill (CA)
• Phrantic (Duel)
• Purgatory (TDM)
• Realm of Steel Rats (TDM)
• Shining Forces (CTF)
• Stonekeep (CTF)
• Theatre of Pain (CA)   

Anyone feel like paying for Quake Live?
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

In beta no longer, id Software's Quake Live is now offering two new ways to get into its browser-based shooter action: via ad-free "Premium" and "Pro" subscriptions.

With a Premium membership, you'll be able to access 20 subscription-exclusive maps, an exclusive "Freeze Tag" mode, clan creation and joining options, and have your match stats stored for six months. Premium is $24 a year and that's not quite all it adds to the shooter. It also supports custom profile wallpaper in addition to subscription-based awards. 

A Pro-level subscription, on the other hand, will run you $48 a year. Pro includes all of Premium's perks, but also gives you the ability to create your own servers and invite up to three other non-paying friends into Premium-specific maps. This is in addition to giving you the option to create your own clan and join up to 10 others, storing your match stats for 12 months, and access to Pro-specific awards.

Quake Live will continue to be free if you desire. The standard version of the game will remain ad-supported and will continue to provide over 40 arenas across five game modes, match-making, and even browser-based stat tracking.  

== TEASER ==If you've got an interest in this business, either as a Standard user or possibly a Pro-power-player, take a gander at the game's official website. If you're curious about what'll be offered insofar as the pay-to-play maps, we've got your back (just below):

Premium Maps  

• Aerowalk (Duel)
• Battleforged (Duel)
• Black Cathedral (CA)
• Cold War (CA)
• Deep Inside (TDM)
• Dismemberment (Duel)
• Dreadful Place (TDM)
• Focal Point (Duel)
• Hektik (Duel)
• Industrial Accident (CTF)
• Intervention (TDM)
• Japanese Castles (CTF)
• Leviathan (TDM)
• Overkill (CA)
• Phrantic (Duel)
• Purgatory (TDM)
• Realm of Steel Rats (TDM)
• Shining Forces (CTF)
• Stonekeep (CTF)
• Theatre of Pain (CA)   

Anyone feel like paying for Quake Live?
#2 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -

Dat Quake.

#3 Posted by Darknaut (126 posts) -

Never had been big into Quake in the past, but I might need to start looking into it at some point, least my own curiosity drive me mad wondering about it.

#4 Posted by artofwar420 (6227 posts) -

I'm gonna stick to the free thing. Considering I haven't touched the beta in ages.

#5 Posted by Hosstile17 (747 posts) -

I will probably go pro, not premium. I play it all the time. Why not?

#6 Posted by Shuborno (935 posts) -

I love Quake Live, and I don't mind a paid option in theory, but having paid-only maps splits the community.  I'm not fond of that at all. 

#7 Posted by AdH0c (127 posts) -

Subscription?? Errr no your ok.

#8 Posted by Babaganoosh (9 posts) -

If they still provide solid free content, I have no problem with this. At least they're not ganking people out of playing the game at all.

#9 Posted by JoelTGM (5591 posts) -

I don't pay sub fees to video games anymore since I quit WoW, but I will continue to play it for free.  I love Quake.

#10 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

If people pay for this who constantly rip on MMOs for having subscription fees, I will laugh.

Anyways. I didn't even know it was in beta. I played it maybe once.

#11 Posted by MisterMouse (3531 posts) -

not really a fan of subscription services...

#12 Posted by bunnyboiler (399 posts) -

Hey guys. I heard you want to pay $48 a year for Quake 3.

#13 Posted by Devil240Z (3052 posts) -

Not  compatable with windows 7 or OSX???!?!?!?!!!!!!!! 

Guess I can't play even though I have both major platforms. 

#14 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

I can't see how anyone can pay $48 a year to play Quake in the year 2010.

#15 Posted by Yelix (327 posts) -

I think having to pay a subscription for a game that is ten years old to get some exclusive maps is a real bummer, considering that the original game is probably dirt cheap at this point (or free through certain channels) and includes support for infinite maps through a mod community.

#16 Posted by H4xlike (39 posts) -

Would never pay for this, but wouldn't mind the ads.

#17 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

The prices seem about double what they should be. At $12 and $24, it'd be pretty reasonable.

#18 Posted by PosableActionFigure (188 posts) -

HAY GUYS WE HAVE THIS NEW FREE TO PLAY QUAKE IT'S ENTIRELY AD SUPPORTED 

OH NO WE RAN OUT OF MONEY IT WAS IN BETA ALL ALONG GUYS HONEST NOW IT'S SUBSCRIPTION

#19 Posted by KillerBears (248 posts) -

I recently logged in just to save my account from deletion. I can't see this business venture working out, however nifty it may be. :(

#20 Posted by shanchett99 (167 posts) -

yay, subscription for an outdated game

#21 Posted by Phished0ne (2430 posts) -

i was totally ready to make the 

"HEY GUISE ITS AD-SUPPORTED BUT WAIT THERES A SUBSCRIPTION FEE NOW"  comment 

but its good to see that the free option is still there.

#22 Posted by lacke (357 posts) -
@Devil240Z said:
" Not  compatable with windows 7 or OSX???!?!?!?!!!!!!!!  Guess I can't play even though I have both major platforms.  "
Don't know about OSX but it works fine for me on Win7 64 using Chrome.
#23 Posted by Devil240Z (3052 posts) -
@lacke said:

" @Devil240Z said:

" Not  compatable with windows 7 or OSX???!?!?!?!!!!!!!!  Guess I can't play even though I have both major platforms.  "
Don't know about OSX but it works fine for me on Win7 64 using Chrome. "
 lol you just described my exact setup.    
#24 Posted by Ultramar (48 posts) -

I dunno about this.

#25 Posted by Vitamin_Dei (190 posts) -

This looks entirely reasonable to me. People who play Quake *really* play Quake and are likely to get their money's worth out of the (nominal) fee. I might be up in arms if they were removing the option for you to play the free ad-supported version, but they're not. 

It all comes down to what the game is worth to you and how much "more" you want out of it. I'd be pretty likely to pay for something like this is I ate, slept and breathed Q3 like I do TF2 for example. Hooray for options!

#26 Edited by NickLott (790 posts) -

Quake Live was interesting because you could play multiplayer Quake in a browser but 48 dollars a year for what is essentially a 10 year old game insane. I can fire up an old copy of Quake III Arena and play on a ton of servers for free with ridiculous maps and mods. A game which can be bought ridiculously cheaply.

#27 Posted by lordofultima (6186 posts) -

This sounds reasonable to me. All tourney play for Quake Live will continue to be done on the free version I imagine, and that's all that matters.

#28 Posted by Potter9156 (937 posts) -

Not compatible with Chrome? The crap?

#29 Edited by buckybit (1460 posts) -
@bunnyboiler:  nailed it... although it's not Bobby - it's Zenimax Media.
#30 Posted by Foggen (801 posts) -

If none of these is secretly "The Longest Yard", I have absolutely zero interest.

#31 Posted by Pop (2530 posts) -

I say it's reasonable, cause they're not forcing you to pay it and it's mostly for the quake monsters that play 24/7. I haven't played it in a while but I'm gonna go see how it feels now that it's out of "beta".

#32 Posted by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

I used to wait around for ages to get a game in this, but it always told me I was in a line. Didn't realise it was beta stage - thought it had been around for years.

#33 Posted by EpicSteve (6439 posts) -

I didn't even know it was still in beta.

#34 Posted by lawlerballer (204 posts) -

lol subscribe to my nuts

#35 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

Um, at this point wouldnt it just be cheaper to buy regular Quake 3 on steam and play it there?

#36 Posted by captain_clayman (3300 posts) -

yeah no thanks, free will be fine.  i only play this game like every other month so it's no biggie.

#37 Posted by LiquidPenguins (181 posts) -
@BradNicholson:  I think you missed it but that screenshot has a pretty blatant watermark for a different site in the bottom left.
#38 Posted by Guillotine (18 posts) -

Less than a dollar a week for a game that some may get ten or more hours of play time from in each of those weeks? And this addresses the complaints about not being able to play with just your friends unless you find an empty server that stays empty? They're adding twenty new maps? And there's still the option to play free? What are people complaining about? Is there anything actually bad about this?

#39 Posted by Hilbert (347 posts) -

ehmm. This is quake 3 arena right? 

Yeah, I paid money for that like 50 billion years ago..
#40 Posted by pileofnuts (5 posts) -

QuakeLive is a big improvement over standard Quake 3. They incorporated a lot of great stuff from CPMA, made it possible to edit all important settings from the menu, improved the spectator experience, and more.

Freeze tag is great fun, the ability to spawn servers is very welcome, and the new maps include some great classics.

Now with all of this, how could you not pay for it?!

#41 Posted by buckybit (1460 posts) -
@Guillotine:  it's a service. People can evaluate if it is worth their money or not and act upon it.

=====

... just as they can pay for a 3rd party hosting their own game-server for Quake III Arena - I guess, that's the funny part for old-timers like me - it comes full circle.

The really sad part about this is that the experiment failed - even with such a high profile franchise like Quake and a company like idSoftware. They could not make enough money through ads to support the service. That's the real story.

Unlike other business-models, the shooter style games are hard to cash in Bobby Kotick style?

APB is a great example of poor judgement. QuakeLive was/is a great attempt that did not yet work out. Let's see what Black Ops and MoH will come up with to milk the evergiving cow, that is the 'Video Gamer'.
#42 Posted by Blitzer (385 posts) -

Wait, this game isn't free to play? FAIL!

#43 Posted by Tabarnaco (134 posts) -

Nope.

#44 Posted by CannibalFerox (272 posts) -

Seems like a very reasonable set of options to me. 

#45 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

Its Quake. Its what, over 10 years old? Yeah sorry, not worth a yearly subscription. Give me break! Lol :-P

#46 Posted by DrWhat (275 posts) -

wow, i'm excited about Quake Live Exits Beta. thanks for posting this BradNicholson!

i'm going to play Quake Live Exits Beta as soon as it comes out and buy it at Best Buy, my choice for game purchases.

#47 Posted by JoelTGM (5591 posts) -
@DrWhat said:
" wow, i'm excited about Quake Live Exits Beta. thanks for posting this BradNicholson!

i'm going to play Quake Live Exits Beta as soon as it comes out and buy it at Best Buy, my choice for game purchases. "
What are you doing?
#48 Posted by PosableActionFigure (188 posts) -
@DrWhat:  

I'm sure you can look forward to an exciting brand engagement with this interactive entertainment product.
#49 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Seems like a good deal, considering what they offer...oh and its Quake for **** sake. 

#50 Posted by Shuborno (935 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
" I used to wait around for ages to get a game in this, but it always told me I was in a line. Didn't realise it was beta stage - thought it had been around for years. "
That was just an issue in the first week or so, as they'd underestimated demand.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.