Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Quake

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 23, 1996

The follow-up to id's 1993 game Doom, and one of the earliest first-person shooters to make full use of 3D polygonal graphics and level design. Featuring a dark and gritty atmosphere inspired by gothic and Lovecraftian fiction, players traverse numerous dimensions in an attempt to stop the invasion of eldritch forces led by the mysterious "Quake".

Watch me play Quake 1 back in the day

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Diamond

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone wanted to see old video of Quakeworld I recorded back in the day and generally about nostalgic gaming recording, and got some positive replies.  Last night I copied my Quakeworld VHS tapes onto DVDs and surprisingly the video was already formatted well for Youtube so I uploaded a bit.

I always enjoyed making a record of my gaming, and I'd watch it over and over (usually in the background to other gaming).  I never had a camcorder until recently, but I would use VHS or audiocassettes to record my game playing.  These videos are obviously more valuable to me than other people, when I watch any of these I get a flood of memories and emotions.

Early internet gaming, especially Quakeworld - because it was my first internet videogame, is especially powerfully nostalgic to me.  At the time of this recording I had a really ratty gaming PC, but I had just gotten a 3dfx graphics card which doubled my framerate in Quake, uppded the resolution to 640x480, increased graphics quality substantially, and generally made the game much more playable.  In early 1998 I got a more powerful PC.  I also played a good deal of the original Team Fortress during this time but sadly never recorded it.

At the time of this recording I had been on the net for about a year and was still getting into the groove with it, the net was absolutely fascinating to me.  I bought a very good book on TCP/IP networking and learned a lot over time.  I would spend some of my spare time on Palace chat (a really old chat program), and Geocities chat (RIP Geocities :( ).  I also had all the consoles, and I was probably most interested in Sega Saturn because that's the last one I got.  I got the 3DFX card about a month after Goldeneye for N64 came out, so that helps me figure out when abouts this video would have been taken.

If people are interested I can upload more videos in the future, there's quite a few more parts where this one came from.  I can totally understand if people aren't interested though.  I'd be interested to see other Giant Bomb users videos if they'd be willing to upload them.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Diamond

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone wanted to see old video of Quakeworld I recorded back in the day and generally about nostalgic gaming recording, and got some positive replies.  Last night I copied my Quakeworld VHS tapes onto DVDs and surprisingly the video was already formatted well for Youtube so I uploaded a bit.

I always enjoyed making a record of my gaming, and I'd watch it over and over (usually in the background to other gaming).  I never had a camcorder until recently, but I would use VHS or audiocassettes to record my game playing.  These videos are obviously more valuable to me than other people, when I watch any of these I get a flood of memories and emotions.

Early internet gaming, especially Quakeworld - because it was my first internet videogame, is especially powerfully nostalgic to me.  At the time of this recording I had a really ratty gaming PC, but I had just gotten a 3dfx graphics card which doubled my framerate in Quake, uppded the resolution to 640x480, increased graphics quality substantially, and generally made the game much more playable.  In early 1998 I got a more powerful PC.  I also played a good deal of the original Team Fortress during this time but sadly never recorded it.

At the time of this recording I had been on the net for about a year and was still getting into the groove with it, the net was absolutely fascinating to me.  I bought a very good book on TCP/IP networking and learned a lot over time.  I would spend some of my spare time on Palace chat (a really old chat program), and Geocities chat (RIP Geocities :( ).  I also had all the consoles, and I was probably most interested in Sega Saturn because that's the last one I got.  I got the 3DFX card about a month after Goldeneye for N64 came out, so that helps me figure out when abouts this video would have been taken.

If people are interested I can upload more videos in the future, there's quite a few more parts where this one came from.  I can totally understand if people aren't interested though.  I'd be interested to see other Giant Bomb users videos if they'd be willing to upload them.
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By empfeix

haha that is classic man!  Thanks for letting me in on this, would have never saw it otherwise. 

Quake 1 was the first internet games I played also!  Its halarious that you mention both Team Fortress and high pings.  I played the Team Fortress mod for quake all the damn time it was awesome, healing peoples with your axe as a medic was awesome and hilarious. 

I also was insanely jealous when peeps would join game with sub 100 pings (early cable internet users).  Most of the users I played with at the time hovered around 100-300 ping as we were all on dial up.  I remember when Goldeneye came out and I hated it.  I could not understand why all my newbie school mates loved that game.  It was so damn slow paced and terrible compared to Quake multiplayer haha. (looking back it was because a lot of kids didnt have a computer to run a game like quake) 

anyway thanks for posting was fun to look at oldschool DM levels

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @empfeix said:
    it was because a lot of kids didnt have a computer to run a game like quake
    It was because it was another great game that just wasn't quake hence the different speed, pace, weapons, graphics, systems, everything.
    Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ah, the memories. 

I must admit, I had to wipe away a tear.
    MikeHaggarKJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeHaggarKJ

i remember playing quake deathmatch on my friends older brothers pc a long ass time ago. mustve been the first online game i ever played since it was long before i started playing online

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hamst3r

Nice video. :D

I don't have any old Quake recordings, but I currently have the Quake expansion packs installed and plan on playing them before the end of the year.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
    @Hamst3r:@MikeHaggarKJ:@DanceDanceKennypants:@empfeix:@Al3xand3r: 
    Glad you guys enjoyed it.  Here's another part I uploaded, and I'm working on uploading a 3rd part right now.

In this video I tell a low ping bastard to fuck their mom (hey this was 12 years ago...).  Most people on the server have a ping over 200ms, and my frame rate is really bad.  Oh the things people had to deal with in the past.  This is directly continued from the video above.  I wish it had always been easy for me to record PC or console games, too many of my video cards didn't have TV out, and now that most games are HD on PC and consoles VHS really doesn't cut the mustard anymore...

I also recorded other games over the years, some of the other older stuff includes Quake 2, Everquest 1 (extremely boring to watch, even for me), Twisted Metal 1 MP, some Mario Paint movies, Street Fighter 2 SNES rental, and tons of Dreamcast stuff.  I hope people get some nostalgic enjoyment out of these.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Geno

The sad thing is wall textures in games have still barely changed. Hopefully DX11 with tesselation will change that. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

If anyone wants the nostalgic dose with slightly less eye sores try DMC. Valve should update it for Source. Of course there's always Quake (III) Live.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
    @Geno: Well, there are 2 big differences these days.  You don't get a fraction as many repeating / tiled textures, and they're doing normal mapping or better on a lot of surfaces, plus specular maps, detail maps, and other layers.  The texture data in games is probably 32/64+ times bigger.  

edit - heck, the textures in Quake were paletted for that matter.  
    edit 2 - modern lossless & lossy texture compression means that while the texture data may only be 64 times, the actual data you're seeing is much larger too.
    edit 3 - oh yea, and with texture streaming the data can be larger than the memory footprint difference from Quake 1 to modern games.  I'm probably grossly overestimating Quake 1's texture footprint as well, it's not going to be anywhere near 8MB, that's the total RAM you'd need to run the game well.  So really it's going to be more on a scale of 100-200+ times more memory for textures these days.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

For comparison I remember custom Day of Defeat mappers (much more modern game/mod) limiting themselves to 5 MB of textures per map for optimal performance x)

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond
    @Al3xand3r: Good info, yea Quake 1 probably was more like 2MB texture memory, or even 1MB...  Now that I do some re-research I am reminded those first 3dfx cards had 2MB of texture RAM.
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By empfeix
    @Geno said:
    " The sad thing is wall textures in games have still barely changed. Hopefully DX11 with tesselation will change that.  "
    ya those tesselation vids are amazing
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond
    @empfeix:  @Hamst3r:@DanceDanceKennypants:@MikeHaggarKJ:
    I've uploaded 2 more videos, here they are.

I don't think there's a lot more I could write without rambling.  Anyways, I guess if anyone wants me to upload more I will, and maybe I'll upload more to my Youtube account anyways, but I don't want to be bumping this thread just for new videos if it doesn't help or inspire discussion.  Hope you enjoy!
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By buzz_killington

FUCKING A!
    Avatar image for sleepyheadstyle
    sleepyheadstyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sleepyheadstyle

I remember when quake came out and you needed to have that DOS TCP/IP stack.. I had a 14.4k modem and it was so awesome. I used to hang out on the Efnet #quake channel around 1995.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Diamond

To celebrate Quake 1 TNT, I suppose I'll bump this thread with a NEW VIDEO!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.