Kim Swift Introduces the World to a Quantum Conundrum

• 107 results
Posted by Alex (2294 posts) -

We knew that original Portal lead and new creative head at Airtight Games, Kim Swift, would be debuting her latest project at PAX Prime. However, those who won't be in attendance at the show can have themselves a little sneak peak at her latest first-person puzzler, Quantum Conundrum, courtesy of GameSpot.

The new title certainly seems to draw a bit of influence from Swift's Portal days, albeit with a new, original art style and an all-new tool: a glove that allows you to shift into multiple different dimensions to solve puzzles contained in each level. The game puts you in the role of a youngster sent off to spend some time with their crazy inventor uncle, Professor Fitz Quadwrangle. Unsurprisingly, your visit is interrupted by something going terribly wrong, and you're forced to navigate his labyrinthine mansion using the glove and its dimension-shifting capabilities.

GameSpot's preview showcases about seven minutes of video as well, narrated by none other than Swift herself. She shows off a couple of different puzzles, as well as the first dimensional shift you receive, a fluffy, pink dimension that makes all objects in the area 10 times lighter. The preview also mentions other dimensions, such as a slow-motion dimension that cuts back the pace of time, and a reverse gravity dimension, which, naturally, reverses gravity. There will be four different dimensions in all, and as the levels progress in difficulty, you'll have to use various combinations of them in increasingly harried fashion to succeed.

While the game's basic similarities to Portal are pretty obvious from the video (which I've gone to the trouble of embedding for you below), the multitude of mechanics and Swift's general talent for creating challenging, if not overly labyrinthine puzzles can't help but inspire a bit of excitement for this latest title. Square-Enix will be publishing it for PC, Xbox Live Arcade, and the PlayStation Network sometime in early 2012. With any luck, one of our dudes will be able to check it out on the PAX show floor and report back accordingly. And now that I've said that out loud, they pretty much don't have a choice but to do so, since I've now raised all of your expectations. You're welcome, everyone.

#1 Posted by Alex (2294 posts) -

We knew that original Portal lead and new creative head at Airtight Games, Kim Swift, would be debuting her latest project at PAX Prime. However, those who won't be in attendance at the show can have themselves a little sneak peak at her latest first-person puzzler, Quantum Conundrum, courtesy of GameSpot.

The new title certainly seems to draw a bit of influence from Swift's Portal days, albeit with a new, original art style and an all-new tool: a glove that allows you to shift into multiple different dimensions to solve puzzles contained in each level. The game puts you in the role of a youngster sent off to spend some time with their crazy inventor uncle, Professor Fitz Quadwrangle. Unsurprisingly, your visit is interrupted by something going terribly wrong, and you're forced to navigate his labyrinthine mansion using the glove and its dimension-shifting capabilities.

GameSpot's preview showcases about seven minutes of video as well, narrated by none other than Swift herself. She shows off a couple of different puzzles, as well as the first dimensional shift you receive, a fluffy, pink dimension that makes all objects in the area 10 times lighter. The preview also mentions other dimensions, such as a slow-motion dimension that cuts back the pace of time, and a reverse gravity dimension, which, naturally, reverses gravity. There will be four different dimensions in all, and as the levels progress in difficulty, you'll have to use various combinations of them in increasingly harried fashion to succeed.

While the game's basic similarities to Portal are pretty obvious from the video (which I've gone to the trouble of embedding for you below), the multitude of mechanics and Swift's general talent for creating challenging, if not overly labyrinthine puzzles can't help but inspire a bit of excitement for this latest title. Square-Enix will be publishing it for PC, Xbox Live Arcade, and the PlayStation Network sometime in early 2012. With any luck, one of our dudes will be able to check it out on the PAX show floor and report back accordingly. And now that I've said that out loud, they pretty much don't have a choice but to do so, since I've now raised all of your expectations. You're welcome, everyone.

#2 Posted by CaLe (4021 posts) -

My expectations have been lowered actually.

#3 Posted by Duder_Me (307 posts) -

Oooh.

#4 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1672 posts) -

That looks pretty neat. I like the art direction. And it looks like they are playing on the PC :)

#5 Posted by Maajin (1074 posts) -

Could be good. Hoping there is a cool story to back up the puzzles.

#6 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -

a gamespot linked video on giantbomb?? someone somewhere is gonna cause all sorts of hell (and/or conspiracy theories) about this

#7 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I guess first person puzzle games with test chambers are her thing.

#8 Posted by gpbmike (864 posts) -

@RTSlord said:

a gamespot linked video on giantbomb?? someone somewhere is gonna cause all sorts of hell (and/or conspiracy theories) about this

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#9 Posted by risseless (477 posts) -

Interesting game, but she's not a very good presenter.

#10 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -
@gpbmike said:

@RTSlord said:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

i love you 
#11 Posted by Jon93 (156 posts) -

Not really excited for this.

#12 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Physics puzzles, hrm.

#13 Posted by chilibean_3 (1657 posts) -

Seems neat. Definitely some weird contrivances for the gameplay.

#14 Posted by rmanthorp (4009 posts) -

@gpbmike said:

@RTSlord said:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Perfect.

#15 Posted by Mordi (553 posts) -

Ooooh.

#16 Posted by MisterMouse (3560 posts) -

Looks really cool actually. Could get crazy complex.

#17 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I'm looking forward to this. Also, it reminded me of Despicable Me.

#18 Posted by Philzpilz (225 posts) -

@gpbmike said:

@RTSlord said:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

That is mad impressive

#19 Posted by Elusionar (309 posts) -

Gamespot video on GB ? 
#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@RTSlord said:
It doesn't exactly help that the video itself is stupidly tiny. The hell, GameSpot?
#21 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Looks awesome.

#22 Posted by DonutFever (3554 posts) -

Badass. Hope it's on Steam! 

#23 Posted by jschneible (2 posts) -

I'm assuming she means that the safe maintains its speed, not momentum. Come to think of it, I think Glados makes a similar mistake in the original portal...

#24 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I really like this, the whole different dimensions thing can make room to some pretty interesting puzzles. And I love puzzles ^^

#25 Edited by tdous (57 posts) -

This didn't look particularly exciting but then, with a Portal-esque story, it might come to life. They're going to have to work incredibly hard to make this not look very derivative, to the point of being a told-you-so from Swift to Valve. 

Certainly though, the game would come off a lot better with a more interesting, or more interested-sounding (ironic since it's HER game) presenter. Sounded like some kid's YouTube review of the game. 

And, can presenters, demonstrators and public speakers stop beginning every new sentence with "So..". Many thanks.

#26 Posted by artofwar420 (6295 posts) -

I'm getting some Psychonauts vibes. The difference in the portrait from "regular" to "fluffy" when she changed dimensions reminiscent of when you'd look through other campers and see the world in their perspective.

Seems awesome.

#28 Posted by Liv (43 posts) -

Fist time I re-visited Gamespot after tuning into Giant Bomb (circa 2008). It was worth it. Quantum Conundrum looks freaktastically great and I can't wait to get my hands on yet another first person puzzle game!

#30 Posted by pixieface (122 posts) -

Wow, she is nervous as all hell.  Soo... um... well... oh.

Game looks like it could be fun, though. I like how the art style is almost Saturday morning cartoon-ish.

#31 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

GAAAME DEMO!

#32 Posted by DeF (4925 posts) -

looks nice! gonna buy this :)

#33 Posted by 1337W422102 (1014 posts) -

I don't know, I still need more convincing.

#34 Posted by Milkman (17034 posts) -

Looks like Portal without the portals.

#35 Posted by MEZwaan (32 posts) -

Will there be a companion safe or companion sofa in this game? :D

#36 Posted by Diablos1125 (179 posts) -

The art style is neat but they should have gotten someone else to narrate. Also, too much Portal. If science is the only thing she can do then I can't say much about Airtight's future projects.

#37 Posted by kalmis (1559 posts) -

"Premises of the game is that you this/the kid...." No thanks.

#38 Posted by takua108 (1479 posts) -

Wait what? I thought this was supposed to be announced at PAX.

#39 Edited by jasondesante (604 posts) -

Maybe i'm alone on this one.  It looks cool, but I am no way impressed or interested in actually playing that game.  It looks cool the ideas are interesting, but 

it does not look fun to play.

portal was portals and walking, and this seems like moving boxes and walking.....except with some high precision parts which look frustrating as hell if they aren't tested properly..I'm cautiously optimistic.

#40 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

She go aheads.

#41 Posted by Subjugation (4725 posts) -

@MEZwaan said:

Will there be a companion safe or companion sofa in this game? :D

I can support this.

#42 Posted by Tan (425 posts) -

Maaan you're short. 
Also Gamespot videos take forever to buffer >:|

#43 Posted by Dyram (148 posts) -

This looks hella Portal. 

Seems alright. The art style lends itself to giving a little character to the game. But really, it's so very Portal...

#44 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Why is there an image with a gamespot watermark on it on the front page?

#45 Posted by dudeglove (8022 posts) -

inb4 people whine about gamespot.

Oh wait.

#46 Posted by Chris2KLee (2337 posts) -

Definitely digging the art style and concept. Look forward to seeing more info get out of PAX hopefully.

#47 Posted by RazielCuts (2976 posts) -

Why did you leave Valve?! This could of been a perfect companion piece to Portal!

#48 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

It was funny when the painting on the wall changed.

This game has the vibe of like-- an educational kids game, which I don't think is really anyone's favourite genre :/

#49 Posted by Nottle (1917 posts) -

I can see some potentially really awesome puzzles in this game, looks really interesting. I'll keep an eye on this.

#50 Posted by TurboMan (7605 posts) -

Am I the only one freaked out by the crosshairs being not in the center of the screen? (They look like they're to the left of center)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.