Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Q.U.B.E.

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 16, 2011

Quick Understanding of Block Extrusion (aka, Q.U.B.E.) is a first-person indie puzzler developed by Toxic Games; players are tasked with completing challenges revolving around manipulating different types of colored blocks using a pair of special gloves.

A Little Bit Of: Q.U.B.E.

lim_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By lim_ak

Cubic extrusion.

This is another indie fund game and is a cool puzzle game. It's kind of impossible to talk about this game without making comparisons to portal (not portal 2). It just evokes the same sort of feel from the way the puzzle chambers are set out and very sort of minimal/spartan feel of the rooms. No it doesn't have a sociopathic AI taunting you and doesn't seem to have any dialogue at all, but it has a few of the same notes.

The puzzles feel good, I'm still fairly early goings but so far they're pretty smart. So long as they rely on you setting everything up with puzzles that have pretty loose timing then it'll be on the right track but there is a chance that it'll get more timing focused as the puzzles get more complicated and that would make for a real downer. Because I always feel that a puzzle game like this should really be about testing your mind and solving puzzles rather than reflexes.

There have been some puzzles that have required timing, but it's been forgiving enough that it hasn't bothered me so far. Anyway that's pretty much all I have to say for the moment, but this game is cool, I feel like I say that a lot maybe I should waste my time and show off a really awful game some time. Doing these once a week makes me feel like I should show off stuff that is cool or interesting, but maybe they deserve a counterpoint I don't know, something to think about.

lim_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lim_ak

Cubic extrusion.

This is another indie fund game and is a cool puzzle game. It's kind of impossible to talk about this game without making comparisons to portal (not portal 2). It just evokes the same sort of feel from the way the puzzle chambers are set out and very sort of minimal/spartan feel of the rooms. No it doesn't have a sociopathic AI taunting you and doesn't seem to have any dialogue at all, but it has a few of the same notes.

The puzzles feel good, I'm still fairly early goings but so far they're pretty smart. So long as they rely on you setting everything up with puzzles that have pretty loose timing then it'll be on the right track but there is a chance that it'll get more timing focused as the puzzles get more complicated and that would make for a real downer. Because I always feel that a puzzle game like this should really be about testing your mind and solving puzzles rather than reflexes.

There have been some puzzles that have required timing, but it's been forgiving enough that it hasn't bothered me so far. Anyway that's pretty much all I have to say for the moment, but this game is cool, I feel like I say that a lot maybe I should waste my time and show off a really awful game some time. Doing these once a week makes me feel like I should show off stuff that is cool or interesting, but maybe they deserve a counterpoint I don't know, something to think about.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dystonym

So, QUBE was really good right up until the end. There was this puzzle near the end that required you to move cubes about using gravity shifters and use the walls to line them up and then make them land on the relevant squares. It took me 5 hours to complete the game, that one puzzle took me an hour. Not because of not knowing the solution, but just the bad controls making it exceedingly difficult to get the cubes to go where you wanted them.

Aside from that, it really was quite excellent though. Some of the puzzles do get a bit more timing heavy but it never gets as reliant on timing as Portal does, so you should be fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.