Q.U.B.E is out now!

#1 Edited by Asger (194 posts) -
#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11634 posts) -

I played the demo a while back, I did like it, but it seemed a little on the bland side. To be honest, at the end of the demo, I was glad that it was over. Perhaps the demo doesn't accurately reflect the final product, but from what I did play of it, I would be hesitant to pay $12.75 to continue.

#3 Posted by Masni (12 posts) -

Game look nice i like puzzle games so i will probably get it when i get some money i spent all on Steam winter sale :)

#4 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Played the demo. Great aesthetics, and overall felt like it was a much bigger budget title than what it is. I'd say it's one of the best indie games I've played actually.

#5 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

I bought it. I haven't played it. Haven't even downloaded it. I'll get around to it, someday. I'm sure I'll play for about fifteen minutes before I get frustrated, because I'm dumb.

#6 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Asger:

You mean I have to copy and paste that URL into my browser? Thumbs down for not creating a proper hyperlink. #firstworldproblem

Based on the Steam page, I do not like the heavy derivation that this game takes from Portal.

Why not also tell us your experience with the game and why you think it's beautiful. At first glance, it seems pretty plain to me.

EDIT: Okay, I just played through the demo. It looks like ass, first of all. There's nothing interesting about any of the levels I played. QUBE seems like a 2D Flash puzzle game somehow stretched into three dimensions.

Final verdict: It's Portal without any of the things that made Portal Great.

#7 Posted by Winternet (8000 posts) -

10 bones?! I'm sorry but no.

#8 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

Its like the art style of Mirror's Edge and Portal merged together.

Whats the point of the game? You raise cubes? What?

#9 Posted by Asger (194 posts) -

@Ravenlight: Well I'm not able to play it...

I think the simplicity and the colors make it beautiful.

It looks clean and slick.

Hyperlink fixed...

#10 Edited by Asger (194 posts) -
#11 Posted by WildFloyd (127 posts) -

looks awsome, im a sucker for anything with a similar sound and art style to portal or mirrors edge

#12 Posted by richinjapan (14 posts) -

I'm just watching the quicklook now, but it looks pretty interesting. Can't wait to get home and get it!

#13 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Horrible, unimaginative ending, if you enjoyed the game the ending will probably sour you on the whole experience.

#14 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3095 posts) -

The Quicklook got me super interested in this game. Never heard of it until about 30 minutes ago.

#15 Edited by Monthenor (40 posts) -

My experience with Q.U.B.E. is I installed the demo, found out it didn't have 720p, and uninstalled it. I'm always up for a new puzzle game, but no widescreen below 1600x900 is no-go.

#16 Posted by Example1013 (4833 posts) -

@Monthenor said:

My experience with Q.U.B.E. is I installed the demo, found out it didn't have 720p, and uninstalled it. I'm always up for a new puzzle game, but no widescreen below 1600x900 is no-go.

The game definitely has 1280x720 support. I can put my laptop on 1280x800, but then it's a 16:10 aspect ratio screen, not 16:9. Demos don't always include all the features of the main game, and this can mean graphics options and such as well as not having the whole game.

Anyways, this game is amazing. The aesthetic, the sound design, the mechanics, the puzzles...they're all just right. Absolutely perfect. I spent like 5 minutes in one of the tutorial rooms just spinning the walls and jumping off jump pads, just to hear the sounds and see the different directions I was jumping in. It's definitely one of the most fun games I've played of the past 2 or 3 years, and more than worth the price of admission.

#17 Posted by Xeirus (1292 posts) -

@Example1013 said:

@Monthenor said:

The game definitely has 1280x720 support. I can put my laptop on 1280x800, but then it's a 16:10 aspect ratio screen, not 16:9. Demos don't always include all the features of the main game, and this can mean graphics options and such as well as not having the whole game.

Anyways, this game is amazing. The aesthetic, the sound design, the mechanics, the puzzles...they're all just right. Absolutely perfect. I spent like 5 minutes in one of the tutorial rooms just spinning the walls and jumping off jump pads, just to hear the sounds and see the different directions I was jumping in. It's definitely one of the most fun games I've played of the past 2 or 3 years, and more than worth the price of admission.

This^

I bought it and it's got all the bells and whistles, I didn't bother with the demo, it's only $12 and the quick look got me to buy. I've only played an hour or so (I didn't watch the whole quick look either because I felt it was ruining the puzzles) but it's pretty awesome, I recommend giving it a try. It's not going to blow you away look Portal did, but it's def a good game.

#18 Posted by Neezie (114 posts) -

I really, really like this game. The puzzles are really well put together and during each puzzle you learn a new mechanic. The game is constantly introducing new things, so no 2 puzzles feel the same. I just got to a part where the room is dark and you have to activate buttons to light up the cubes and go from there.

#19 Posted by Monthenor (40 posts) -

@Example1013 said:

@Monthenor said:

This post is definitely wrong. I bought the full game and it still doesn't have 1280x720. I eventually found a decent windowed resolution that my TV could understand, but fullscreen was always crammed into an ugly 4:3.

In fact, everything about QUBE that is not "playing the game" is kinda busted. The resolutions weren't for me, my settings were erased every time I restarted, Steam wanted to re-verify the installed files every time, and half the Steam achievements are/were broken. Oh, and even after they patch you'll have to play again to get the cheevos.

Which is a damn shame, because the part that is "playing the game" is amazing. QUBE is pure puzzle, no filler, and has some great iterations on their basic block formula. Best puzzles since Portal, and I hope some future patch adds the plot voiceovers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.