Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Quest for Fame

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 13, 1995

Quest for Fame is an early Aerosmith branded rhythm game, originally released for PC in 1995 and bundled with an electronic guitar pick to be connected to the PC's parallel port.

The Original Guitar Game

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Also, I borrowed Joe Fielder's VHS copy of Eat the Rich for like a year or something but never actually watched it. But now it's in my Netflix queue!
    Also, I borrowed Joe Fielder's VHS copy of Eat the Rich for like a year or something but never actually watched it. But now it's in my Netflix queue!
    It seems that the Boston area has a long history of combining plastic instruments and video games. Before there was Harmonix, Guitar Hero, or Rock Band, there was a little company called Virtual Music and a PC-based product called Quest For Fame.

That product, and some of the people behind it, are the subject of a profile in the Boston Globe this morning, and it's an interesting, though slightly skewed read. The whole crux of the article is that these guys had stumbled onto what would eventually become a huge segment in the game industry, but they sold it off well before it got huge. At no point does anyone talk about the actual quality of the equipment or the Quest For Fame game itself, which, weirdly enough, was an Aerosmith-focused game released over a decade before Guitar Hero: Aerosmith.

Here's how the article describes the game:
    A player watches a window in the computer monitor as a red line scrolls past a series of green blips, like pulses on a heart monitor. When the red line crosses a blip, the player strums the virtual guitar's strings, and the computer's speakers respond with Aerosmith hits like "Eat The Rich" or "Walk This Way." Hit the strings too early or too late, and out come discordant notes and insults from on-screen characters.
    Sounds familiar, right? I was actually given one of these things to mess around with sometime in 1994, and the only thing I remember is that it was one of the most difficult-to-configure objects I'd ever come across. Granted, this was back in the days of IRQ conflicts and a white-hot hate for making anything on a PC easy to understand or the least bit friendly. So it's not surprising that I never actually got the guitar hooked up and working properly. Even when I did finally encounter one that was properly connected and working, all I remember is a bulky, unwieldy instrument that still just barely worked. Another version was released with a different piece of hardware, the V-Pick. This stripped the big guitar down to just a pick that wired into your parallel port. Man, remember parallel ports?

The article's definitely written in a "dude, these guys could have had it all" style, but that's not how I remember this stuff at all. At no point did Quest For Fame feel like the Next Big Thing. It seemed like an interesting idea hampered by a bad game with bad hardware that only really fooled tech writers with no gaming experience. I remember the whole thing seeming more than a little laughable at the time. Regardless of all that, though, I still found the profile to an be an interesting read and a look back at a rhythm game that time forgot.

For a quick look at something truly amazing, here's Aerosmith performing "Eat the Rich" in the game. I love the amazing CG stage they're performing on. It gives the entire thing a real "OH NO HELP QUICK THESE OLD MEN ARE TRAPPED INSIDE A COMPUTER" look.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    It seems that the Boston area has a long history of combining plastic instruments and video games. Before there was Harmonix, Guitar Hero, or Rock Band, there was a little company called Virtual Music and a PC-based product called Quest For Fame.

That product, and some of the people behind it, are the subject of a profile in the Boston Globe this morning, and it's an interesting, though slightly skewed read. The whole crux of the article is that these guys had stumbled onto what would eventually become a huge segment in the game industry, but they sold it off well before it got huge. At no point does anyone talk about the actual quality of the equipment or the Quest For Fame game itself, which, weirdly enough, was an Aerosmith-focused game released over a decade before Guitar Hero: Aerosmith.

Here's how the article describes the game:
    A player watches a window in the computer monitor as a red line scrolls past a series of green blips, like pulses on a heart monitor. When the red line crosses a blip, the player strums the virtual guitar's strings, and the computer's speakers respond with Aerosmith hits like "Eat The Rich" or "Walk This Way." Hit the strings too early or too late, and out come discordant notes and insults from on-screen characters.
    Sounds familiar, right? I was actually given one of these things to mess around with sometime in 1994, and the only thing I remember is that it was one of the most difficult-to-configure objects I'd ever come across. Granted, this was back in the days of IRQ conflicts and a white-hot hate for making anything on a PC easy to understand or the least bit friendly. So it's not surprising that I never actually got the guitar hooked up and working properly. Even when I did finally encounter one that was properly connected and working, all I remember is a bulky, unwieldy instrument that still just barely worked. Another version was released with a different piece of hardware, the V-Pick. This stripped the big guitar down to just a pick that wired into your parallel port. Man, remember parallel ports?

The article's definitely written in a "dude, these guys could have had it all" style, but that's not how I remember this stuff at all. At no point did Quest For Fame feel like the Next Big Thing. It seemed like an interesting idea hampered by a bad game with bad hardware that only really fooled tech writers with no gaming experience. I remember the whole thing seeming more than a little laughable at the time. Regardless of all that, though, I still found the profile to an be an interesting read and a look back at a rhythm game that time forgot.

For a quick look at something truly amazing, here's Aerosmith performing "Eat the Rich" in the game. I love the amazing CG stage they're performing on. It gives the entire thing a real "OH NO HELP QUICK THESE OLD MEN ARE TRAPPED INSIDE A COMPUTER" look.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

I love mid-'90s music videos, they're so bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-6296e29cde7c5
    deactivated-6296e29cde7c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Ha ha. I like the description for the game!

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SSbabel

Op, that video is terrible remove it at once.

sociald1077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By sociald1077

For some reason that CG background made me think of all the time I spent playing Phantasmagoria.

Zergvasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zergvasion

The crowd reminded me of any wrestling game I have ever been forced to play.
    *shudders*

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Endogene

Pfff its pretty hard finding any info on that one. It also came out on arcade and psx.

XRevMaynardX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By XRevMaynardX

Here's a pic of the guitar.

caption
    caption
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Gameboi

Sadly, I never heard of it before. And here I thought I actually knew something about games.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

I remember seeing an ad for that V-Pick. That thing blew my 11 year old mind. But looking back at it with more understanding of hardware, I'm glad I never got to experience one. Think I might have seen an article for the Quest For Fame guitar a while back now that I've seen what it looks like.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By yellownumber5

Oh yes,  in a way I kindof miss those days where the hardest choices in life were choosing between IRQ7 or IRQ9.  But I had NO idea that this ever actually existed.

Its interesting that Aerosmith actually did this back then.  Guitar Hero makes sense today, but man back then that's pretty desperate to wanting to be in a video game.  I love the crowd going crazy.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By harrisonave

I remember this! I never got it because I never realized it came out!  I remember there was something about this game on PBS once, and I got hella excited.  After that, I never heard another word about it.  I didn't think it ever came out...

Valestis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Valestis

SSbabel, you should be removed at once for saying that.

Koof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Koof

what about guitarfreaks
    or does konami just not count for anything these days

Xander51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Xander51

I remember parallel ports and serial ports. And the weird future that was "USB."

Yeah.

jediautobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jediautobot

Man I wasted a lot of quarters on the other Aerosmith game, I think I would have passed on this one.

HATEBOT5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HATEBOT5000

Does anyone remember the informercials for this thing? I remember BEGGING my parents for it day after day, screaming like a banshee when it was on the tube, and when I finally got it....it wouldn't run right on my 486 that was easily above the specs. Back to CompUSA you go, demon! Returned it for Dark Forces, Quarantine and some other game I can't remember. I guess history has proven me right...

Flocwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Flocwald

I owned this game with the Vpick.  I never got it running on my computer but it worked on a friend's.  I beat the game and while I may still have the disk somewhere, I left the pick at their house and they probably threw it out at some point.  Yes, it sucked but I loved games and music even back then.  Strangely, it was a lot like playing Wii Music (which doesn't suck for its own very special reasons.)

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Media_Master

the lead singer still creeps me out

Rincewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Rincewind

Unprofessional Fridays YEAH!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By csl316

I'm glad this got bumped as I tried to find it earlier.

I will always love crappy CG background from the 90's.

Homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Homeslice

Music is the weapon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.