Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Questing

Concept »

The act of taking on an in-game task; most often, these are provided to the player by an NPC. MMOs and RPGs are the primary users of this concept.

Whale Biology

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

So quests, huh?

I never thought I could become so madly addicted to meaningless internet numbers, but here I am at level 14 and hot damn i'm feeling pretty fucking good about it. The clues may be a little vauge and there are some answers which are perhaps a little too specific (How is skeleton Warrior not a cliche RPG enemy?) but the harder the quests are the more smug I feel once I have inevitably completed them.

No Caption Provided

Possibly the greatest thing about the quest system is i'm actually learning stuff.

I'm searching through all these wiki pages and forming a sprawling mental map of videogame lore which I barely knew existed. I'm contributing to the site in new ways, writing more reviews, adding wiki pages and generally contributing more than I normally would have done. The sluggish pace implies that many other users are doing the same - an indicator of yet another fantastic success for Whiskey Media. They made a feature which users enjoy using and which encourages and successfully rewards activity. Duders, I salute you!

As with every site update there comes the inevitable slurry of complaints. These complaints, no matter how subjective or trivial, tend to go ignored as the concept of progress dictates that regression is no longer par for the course. Simply put, if you don't like a new feature the chances of it being changed back are pretty slim.

Which is a shame, because I liked my user toolbar up at the top. (That was a joke. Don't eat me)

The paradox which finds me most frustrated is the prioritising of the sites features. The staff are, as we all know, awesome chaps. They are always open to suggestions and are just generally nice guys. I'm not going to tear into the site because I really like all the features that just got rolled out and I think giantbomb is a fucking awesome hive of activity right now - a hive that I do not want to stir up with my petty beefs.

There is now an impressive list of features and tools on the site which make giantbomb a great place to be.

These tools and features all work. Some of them could work better, i'll admit. I have noticed that Whiskey has a habit of pushing features out into the internet ocean and then not waiting to see if they sink or swim. What this means is we get a constant stream of cool new features, whilst old features are left to stagnate. When was the last time you used the Trivia feature, for example? 

No Caption Provided
    Talk to Lies about the guide system. Snide I love you dude but I have a feeling if you attempted to write anything as staggering as his Fallout Guide then you would maybe be a little more understanding when he says that changes need to be made. It's the frequent flyers of the site, the users who are here every day, that are using these features the most and their opinions on how the tools work deserve to be heard. There is very little in the way of receptiveness to feedback other than bug reporting. So long as it's technically proficient it doesn't seem to be regarded as an issue. Or maybe it is, but I see no sign of it. Some more design blogs from Coonce and other members of staff would be an awesome way of letting the users know what's actually going on behind the scenes. A forum where users can post suggestions for new features officially would also be a great addition.

Last time I posted any real feedback I got angry replies from members of staff. That's cool, they can get angry if they want. If I have a problem then i'm going to let them know about it. I use the public features of this site more than they do so as far as i'm concerned my opinions are more important than theirs. I know that's a pretty arrogant approach to take but i'm just trying to help so I think it's justified. I also think more users should be vocal about the changes they want to see and the staff should be more communicative with their responses.

I calls em like I sees em. I'm a fucking whale biologist.

No Caption Provided

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

So quests, huh?

I never thought I could become so madly addicted to meaningless internet numbers, but here I am at level 14 and hot damn i'm feeling pretty fucking good about it. The clues may be a little vauge and there are some answers which are perhaps a little too specific (How is skeleton Warrior not a cliche RPG enemy?) but the harder the quests are the more smug I feel once I have inevitably completed them.

No Caption Provided

Possibly the greatest thing about the quest system is i'm actually learning stuff.

I'm searching through all these wiki pages and forming a sprawling mental map of videogame lore which I barely knew existed. I'm contributing to the site in new ways, writing more reviews, adding wiki pages and generally contributing more than I normally would have done. The sluggish pace implies that many other users are doing the same - an indicator of yet another fantastic success for Whiskey Media. They made a feature which users enjoy using and which encourages and successfully rewards activity. Duders, I salute you!

As with every site update there comes the inevitable slurry of complaints. These complaints, no matter how subjective or trivial, tend to go ignored as the concept of progress dictates that regression is no longer par for the course. Simply put, if you don't like a new feature the chances of it being changed back are pretty slim.

Which is a shame, because I liked my user toolbar up at the top. (That was a joke. Don't eat me)

The paradox which finds me most frustrated is the prioritising of the sites features. The staff are, as we all know, awesome chaps. They are always open to suggestions and are just generally nice guys. I'm not going to tear into the site because I really like all the features that just got rolled out and I think giantbomb is a fucking awesome hive of activity right now - a hive that I do not want to stir up with my petty beefs.

There is now an impressive list of features and tools on the site which make giantbomb a great place to be.

These tools and features all work. Some of them could work better, i'll admit. I have noticed that Whiskey has a habit of pushing features out into the internet ocean and then not waiting to see if they sink or swim. What this means is we get a constant stream of cool new features, whilst old features are left to stagnate. When was the last time you used the Trivia feature, for example? 

No Caption Provided
    Talk to Lies about the guide system. Snide I love you dude but I have a feeling if you attempted to write anything as staggering as his Fallout Guide then you would maybe be a little more understanding when he says that changes need to be made. It's the frequent flyers of the site, the users who are here every day, that are using these features the most and their opinions on how the tools work deserve to be heard. There is very little in the way of receptiveness to feedback other than bug reporting. So long as it's technically proficient it doesn't seem to be regarded as an issue. Or maybe it is, but I see no sign of it. Some more design blogs from Coonce and other members of staff would be an awesome way of letting the users know what's actually going on behind the scenes. A forum where users can post suggestions for new features officially would also be a great addition.

Last time I posted any real feedback I got angry replies from members of staff. That's cool, they can get angry if they want. If I have a problem then i'm going to let them know about it. I use the public features of this site more than they do so as far as i'm concerned my opinions are more important than theirs. I know that's a pretty arrogant approach to take but i'm just trying to help so I think it's justified. I also think more users should be vocal about the changes they want to see and the staff should be more communicative with their responses.

I calls em like I sees em. I'm a fucking whale biologist.

No Caption Provided

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Red12b

Yep, You know it, 

Let's hope their is no Nerd rage this time eh sweep.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Red12b said:
    "

Yep, You know it,   Let's hope their is no Nerd rage this time eh sweep. "
    I GOT YOUR BACK SWEEP.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Capum15

Man, Tylea was right, you make some pretty good blog posts.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Red12b
    @Capum15 said:
    " Man, Tylea was right, you make some pretty good blog posts. "
    They're fuckin awesome bro, go back and read some of the old ones, how many do you have Sweep, I am afraid to click your profile, your background kills my PC :(
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Red12b:  I changed my background after it gave some dude an epileptic seizure :D 

(I kid)

My current blog count is 248. I usually overhaul for every 100th blog but I might do something different for 250...
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Capum15
    @Red12b said:
    " @Capum15 said:
    " Man, Tylea was right, you make some pretty good blog posts. "
    They're fuckin awesome bro, go back and read some of the old ones, how many do you have Sweep, I am afraid to click your profile, your background kills my PC :( "
    Yeah, I read the two past ones (the two with Borderlands in 'em), they're great. Too tired to read others right now though.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Red12b
    @Sweep said:
    " @Red12b:  I changed my background after it gave some dude an epileptic seizure :D   (I kid) 
    Heh, I would've believed you hadn't have been for the pesky quick edit,  

So, what's in store for 250? Free Jam?
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#9  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm a little late to the party on this one.  I think something that might vastly improve the communications between hosts of sites and its users would be a simple "What We're Fixing" section with brief, Twitter-like notes that either acknowledge or disavow the need and calling for certain changes and how they're working (or not) to implement those changes.
    JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JakJ

Better do what he says, he's a whale biologist
     Better do what he says, he's a whale biologist

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.