Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Quick Time Event

Concept »

Quick Time Events show up in all sorts of games as an attempt to make cutscenes interactive. Press the buttons displayed on-screen before time runs out, or else.

QTE: Yay or Nay?

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Mrnitropb

While not exactly new, Quick time events are becoming neigh omnipresent in modern gaming, with more and more games featuring them as both gameplay and interactive cinema. In games they can range from following the onscreen prompts to initiate a bad ass cinematic combo finishing move on a ginormous beast, to the more annoying hit the button or suffer instant inescapable death, or the 'minigame' style causing your character, to ..dance, or catch a fish, or something completely outside the normal game.

Since they aren't going to go away anytime soon, what is y'alls take on QTE's?

Pros:
    Allow your character to perform amazing feats that would normally only be doable in cutscenes, showing how much of a baddass they are. God of war does this really well.
    Keeps you at a level of attention and pathos of the game by forcing you to pay attention during cinematics
    can break up the tension and monotony of the game by allowing your character to go do something else for a while
    Lets developers increase the amount of things that can be done in a game, without having to code completely new controls and shit.

Cons:
    Can'ts see what character is doing because the huge green button covering the screen, and loses its charms after killing the 800th minatoar.
    Imagine not being able to take a break during a 40 minute cinematic, cause you character.town.world could be destroyed
    can break immersion into the game by forcing character to go do something other than what you want, like dancing toe arn something, when I could just steal it.
    Lets devs be lazy and repetative

Avatar image for deactivated-65f9e2f09d481
    deactivated-65f9e2f09d481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I don't mind them but hate the ones which just come in a stupid times like in Spider-Man 3.

solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By solidphoenix

It's not bad when used in a suitable context, like say in God of War when what's going on is just so crazy that there's no effective way to do those moves with the normal controls.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Systech

I like them in a game like God of War, but most games just don't use them for me to give a straight-forward answer.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm going to go "Nay," though I am open to their implementation in God of War.  That game, and Resident Evil 4, pioneered the modern Quick Time Event, so I'd call it fair for players to mash the Square button as quickly as possible to perform a lobotomy with dual swords.

But, otherwise, I think the mechanic is being rather abused by the gaming industry.  Ultimately, it's too jarring to be immersive, and it breaks the tone of the game more often than not. 

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Jedted

Yay!

I don't have a problem with QTEs, i don't understand why people are so radically opposed to em.  Spiderman 3 is the only game i've ever thrown a fit over them for.  I remember spending hours on the Sandman and Venom boss battles cause it was so complicated and i couldn't remember the whole combination of buttons.

Quick time events should be fun, not punishing by giving you and intant death for failure.  A lot of people didn't like the decryption mini-game in Mass Effect but i never had any problem with it myself, the version on the PC is actually worse than the 360 cause it takes you even further out of the game.  The PC version was too complicated where as the one on the 360 was simple, quick, didn't require a lot of skill.  Just need to focus and pay attention to which buttons light up on the screen.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Emilio

They were good in Shenmue, but I think they should be used a little better. I didn't like them in RE4 and I really didn't like them in Umbrella Chronicles.
    QTEs should NOT be in cinematics AT ALL. You also shouldn't die because of them. They should be more of a quick choice thing. Like take the left path or the right path without meeting your doom.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Roger_Klotz

I'm going to say yeah. But if the game uses them stupidly then it can be a turnoff. I like it when they use to finish off a boss, it makes the kill alot more sweeter.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb

Nay. Get them the hell out of video games, already.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By weltal

If used correctly they make for an awesome addition to a game however if they are just thrown in for good measure or to make the game easier then they can suck pretty bad.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zitosilva

Nay. I hate them.

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mg66368

I'm somewhat in between yay and nay, my personally believe it depends how it's used. It can be may nice simple way ot allowing the player to perform actions that would be nearly clunky and impossible to perform with controls it may also make cutscenes more interactive in a exciting way. However when it's overly used to the point where the simplist of game actions are taken over by quick time events than it becomes shallow and tedious, also a vague amount uses of the quick time events can lead to frustration where many cutscenes don't use quick time events then suddenly appear in a cutscene unexpectly can be aggrevating. Games like Indigo Dark Prophecy {or Fahrenheit as it's called in the rest of the world}, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, God of War, Shenmue, Die Hard arcade, and the Bourne Conspiracy do a get job at this. However many games like Mercenaries 2, Tomb Raider Legends, Star Wars The Force Unleashed, Jericho,  Uncharted, and Spider Man 3 are poor examples of using them. So I don't mind if QTE are used unless they're done well.

BTW, QTE first appeard in Die Hard Arcade way before Shenmue.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187
    Roger_Klotz said:
    "

I'm going to say yeah. But if the game uses them stupidly then it can be a turnoff. I like it when they use to finish off a boss, it makes the kill alot more sweeter.

"
    WHEE-OOH!  WHEE-OOH!
    YOU ARE UNDER ARREST!!! PRESS A TO GET OUT OF HANDCUFFS!!!

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bulldog19892

I think they're just annoying. It has always been a belief of mine that controls are what make a game. The best games let the character respond to the player's input in real-time. Controlling your character should feel like an extension of your own reactions to an event. If quick-time events do anything, they reduce immersion in the game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jakob187
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "I think they're just annoying. It has always been a belief of mine that controls are what make a game. The best games let the character respond to the player's input in real-time. Controlling your character should feel like an extension of your own reactions to an event. If quick-time events do anything, they reduce immersion in the game."
    Played Resident Evil 4 lately?
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bulldog19892
    jakob187 said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    "I think they're just annoying. It has always been a belief of mine that controls are what make a game. The best games let the character respond to the player's input in real-time. Controlling your character should feel like an extension of your own reactions to an event. If quick-time events do anything, they reduce immersion in the game."
    Played Resident Evil 4 lately?"
    Yes actually. Quick-time events take the control away from the player. It's like the character is off doing crazy maneuvers while you're off playing a mini-game. And besides, the QTEs in Resdent Evil 4 are the worst kind of QTEs. You miss a button, death. Try again. It doesn't let you appreciate the story or the scene, it just makes you watch for the next button combo to pop up.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    Yes actually. Quick-time events take the control away from the player. It's like the character is off doing crazy maneuvers while you're off playing a mini-game. And besides, the QTEs in Resdent Evil 4 are the worst kind of QTEs. You miss a button, death. Try again. It doesn't let you appreciate the story or the scene, it just makes you watch for the next button combo to pop up."
    As compared to cutscenes that make you sit down the controller and make a ham sandwich.  I understand your point, now.
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bulldog19892
    jakob187 said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    Yes actually. Quick-time events take the control away from the player. It's like the character is off doing crazy maneuvers while you're off playing a mini-game. And besides, the QTEs in Resdent Evil 4 are the worst kind of QTEs. You miss a button, death. Try again. It doesn't let you appreciate the story or the scene, it just makes you watch for the next button combo to pop up."
    As compared to cutscenes that make you sit down the controller and make a ham sandwich.  I understand your point, now."
    Well, if you're off making a ham sandwich while the cut scene's going on, than you're missing the story, which to me is one of the best parts of a game. By the way, I don't need your condescending bullshit.
    Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Roger_Klotz
    jakob187 said:
    "Roger_Klotz said:
    "

"
    WHEE-OOH!  WHEE-OOH!

"

Presses "A", runs and hides
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pibo47

Nay.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187

The problem, however, is that "games" nowadays abuse the fuck out of cutscenes.  THOSE take the player away from the game.  At least through QTE, we can actually get some form of story and/or boss battle, as well as the final death throes, in some form of action rather than as a scene we sit and watch.

Resident Evil 4 made great use of QTEs.  The first time one kicked in on the cutscenes, I flipped out!!!  It made me realize that I was going to have to pay attention to the ride I am on.  Many segments from God of War did the same thing.  That's kind of the point of being called "quick  time" events.

Games like Force Unleashed DO abuse the fuck out of QTEs, just because God of War did it and made a million bucks easy.

As for the "condescending" part...I have an inbox.  Send a message and take a number.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brukaoru

I agree that Resident Evil 4 did quick time events really well. The only problem with quick time events is when they are used too much, there should only be a minimal amount in a given length of time. Too many within that short time period can be really bothersome, especially if the QTE's are repeat animations. 

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bulldog19892
    jakob187 said:
    "The problem, however, is that "games" nowadays abuse the fuck out of cutscenes.  THOSE take the player away from the game.  At least through QTE, we can actually get some form of story and/or boss battle, as well as the final death throes, in some form of action rather than as a scene we sit and watch.

Resident Evil 4 made great use of QTEs.  The first time one kicked in on the cutscenes, I flipped out!!!  It made me realize that I was going to have to pay attention to the ride I am on.  Many segments from God of War did the same thing.  That's kind of the point of being called "quick  time" events.

Games like Force Unleashed DO abuse the fuck out of QTEs, just because God of War did it and made a million bucks easy.

As for the "condescending" part...I have an inbox.  Send a message and take a number.
    "
    I agree that cut-scenes are getting dated, but there has to be a better way of integrating them with gameplay. The cut-scene takes you away from the game, and the QTEs take you away from the cut-scene. If there's going to be a cut-scene, I would rather watch it and get the gist of what's going on than watch the bottom of the screen for the next button combo to show up. By the end you're not entirely clear on what just happened, but you know that something did.

But either way, we're arguing in circles now. This could go on forever, and I don't have that much time.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakob187
    brukaoru said:
    "I agree that Resident Evil 4 did quick time events really well. The only problem with quick time events is when they are used too much, there should only be a minimal amount in a given length of time. Too many within that short time period can be really bothersome, especially if the QTE's are repeat animations. "
    Absolutely.  For instance, the Star Destroyer fight in Force Unleashed = HORRIFIC use of QTE!  What the hell was QUICK TIME about that?  Fucker took forever!!!!!
    Meanwhile, the times that they used it for a boss battle, that was more along the lines of God of War.  However, you are playing AS A FUCKING JEDI!!!  You should've had the ability to fucking decimate five entire city blocks the minute you stepped off the ship.  But, enough faults with LucasArts logic...

RE4 is, imo, the BEST instance of QTEs possible.  They weren't ridiculously thrown in there.  They weren't around every damn corner.  They were used for exactly what the name stated them as:  quick    time     events.

Meanwhile, fucking Kojima has characters going on for 7 fucking years in a cutscene about shit I could probably write better on the back of a fucking napkin at Denny's.  Final Fantasy has to play out ridiculously long ass cutscenes to "tell the story".  Freedom Fighters and Beyond Good & Evil, two of my favorite games of all time, as well as Vagrant Story, my favorite game of all time, do the SAME FUCKING THING!!!  Cutscenes go forever.  However, Dark Cloud 2...you can skip the muthafuckers.  I'm sorry, don't give me 40 minute cutscenes to tell me the story.  That's called a movie.  I want to play a GAME.
    Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Lemegeton

like any game mechanic, whether its good or not is all down to the implementation. some games are better for them and others could do without. as a premise they can be a fun
    mechanic so i vote
    YAY

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By atejas

Prince of Persia did it well by making it boss-only(or optional). And even then, it wasn't too annoying, and looked suitably epic.

Other than that, nay.
    Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shasam

Done well, QTE's can be fine. It's when they're done badly that problems arise. I have played games where button presses arn't recognised early/late enough, so I do over and over until I hit it perfectly. That's NOT fun.

I would probably like them more if every single little press didn't carry the punishment of failure/death. What if you could miss one, just because, and it caused something slightly different to happen, rather than taking you to a loading screen and then making you do it all over again.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Emilio

I think somebody already said it before, but QTE's nowadays just equal poor game design ( looks at Force Unleashed ).

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mg66368
    brukaoru said:
    "I agree that Resident Evil 4 did quick time events really well. The only problem with quick time events is when they are used too much, there should only be a minimal amount in a given length of time. Too many within that short time period can be really bothersome, especially if the QTE's are repeat animations. "
    I thought they were done well because they made the cutscenes more intense.
    Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Major

Nay.
    It's been done before, move along. Unless you bring something innovative to the table.. don't try to half ass it.

I'm looking at you, TFU.

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mg66368
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "The problem, however, is that "games" nowadays abuse the fuck out of cutscenes.  THOSE take the player away from the game.  At least through QTE, we can actually get some form of story and/or boss battle, as well as the final death throes, in some form of action rather than as a scene we sit and watch.

"
    I agree that cut-scenes are getting dated, but there has to be a better way of integrating them with gameplay. The cut-scene takes you away from the game, and the QTEs take you away from the cut-scene. If there's going to be a cut-scene, I would rather watch it and get the gist of what's going on than watch the bottom of the screen for the next button combo to show up. By the end you're not entirely clear on what just happened, but you know that something did.

But either way, we're arguing in circles now. This could go on forever, and I don't have that much time."

Well it depends if the cutscene is more has more action going around instead of plost then I think QTE are appropiate, but when they randomly appear in a cutscene that's moving the plot it can become frustrating and tedious. God of War does a good job of implementing it's combat with it's QTE with it's finishers.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By whackmypinata

Nay. They draw from the atmosphere of the cutscenes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Lazy design.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kush

QTE = Quite Truly Excrement.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BiggerBomb

Nay.

Dear Developers,

STOP PUTTING QTE'S IN YOUR VIDEO GAMES FOR FUCK'S SAKE! HOLY SHIT, THEY SUCK!

Sincerely,

BiggerBomb.

P.S. srsly gttfo (get them the fuck out)

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fraser

I'm leaning toward the nay side. With God Of War i enjoyed them, but even now, replaying those games, QTEs just get on my tits.

Mainly because it's really just a cutscene that you can't afford to watch becuase you're spending too much time watching the bottom of the screen.

And yeh i kinda liked how they were used in resi 4, only my problem with those kinda QTEs is that you're often not expecting them, and whilst it may add to some kind of shock, or scare that the game was trying to acheive, they often just end up frustrating.

To be honest i wouldn't be sad in the slightest if QTEs were never used again.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By CharleyTony

nay - excpt if the lazy programers find a way not to have a big button icon in my face... just make it use on button (A on the xbox, X on the ps3) and get a more subtil way of telling the player to push it like a slight flash on screen or vibrations...

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By Arkthemaniac

QTE is bawwwls. Bawwwls on my face.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By ZenaxPure

For me it all depends on how well they are implemented. I do not like the ones that make no sense whatsover, such as pressing A to dodge some random attack. On the opposite side of that if the command would of been to say press left/right to dodge the attack where it would match something you would normally do ingame on the controller anyway I actually find those quite fun.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lordofultima

They're garbage.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Milkman

Meh. I think they work well in some games like Resident Evil 4 and God of War but used in a context like Heavy Rain is just plain stupid.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lordofultima
    Milkman said:
    "Meh. I think they work well in some games like Resident Evil 4 and God of War but used in a context like Heavy Rain is just plain stupid."
    I would probably say the opposite. Indigo Prophecy for instance really benefited from it, where as action games feel totally lame with QTE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.