Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Radiant Historia

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 03, 2010

An RPG co-developed by Atlus and Headlock, some other staff include artist Hiroshi Konishi who worked on Radiata Stories and Yoko Shimomura on the music. Stocke must travel through time and revisit key events in order to save his homeland of Alistel from invasion and, ultimately, total desertification. An enhanced port with a new, third storyline was released on Nintendo 3DS in June 2017.

Do not ignore this game.

• 51 results
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I know it's getting really easy to just completely discount new DS releases as of late. The 3DS is closing in quickly and I'm sure many people have already written off everything coming out that isn't fucking Pokemon. 

God damn Pokemon. 

But missing out on this gem would be a shame. A damn shame. A shame so damnable that no amount of saintly behavoir will ever redeem it.

I do not think I have had this much fun with a portable RPG since the original Golden Sun. Everything is just fresh and exciting. Radiant Historia has gone a long way to just completely dispell all my pent up cynism that has built up around the genre known as the Jay-Arr-Pee-Gee. 

But let's not skirt around the issue with fancy punctuation and thesauruses. Let's get to the point. 

They made enemy encounters the best part of the game.

And that isn't to say that everything else is subpar either, I meant the combat is just

that good.

And I'm not talking boss battles either, I mean all the battles. All the battles are fun. This game has been balanced in such a way that you never feel safe and you never feel like you are at a complete advantage. 

It's probably better to just show you a video of the game in action, but let's do our best to parse this out textwise too shall we? 

The battle takes place on a 3 by 3 grid where your enemies reside while your party member sit off to the adjacent. The main crux of the combat involves moving your enemies around via special attacks so that you can attack more than one at once and rack up more damage. For instace, you might knock an enemy back one square into the enemy behind them so that you can strike both at once with your next attack. Since all party members that are next to each other in the turn order act at once, following you issuing commands to all of them, you can create combos of movement skills and high-damage attacks to take out enemies quickly, which you will want to do since most monsters in the game will pose a severe risk to your party regardless of level. 

THAT IS THE SIMPLE PART.

There is also rows to be concerned with. The close an enemy is the more damage it does, but it will also take more damage. The same goes for the back row except with the opposite effect, lowered attack power but heightened defense. So do you bring an enemy up front? Maybe you start a combo off by grappling an enemy forward and then knocking him back with the final blow? 

DID I MENTION THERE ARE COMBOS? 

Every attack you do on the same enemy adds to your combo hit counter. The higher your hit counter, the more damage you do. There are a myriad of ways to increase this counter as well. Alternating to a magic spell after a physical attack, and vice versa, will bump the counter up an extra level. Some attacks automatically hit twice each time. Did I mention traps? You can lay down traps and knock enemies into them for big damage and a number of combo points. 

Not only are combos good for damage, but they also determine your loot. Extra XP and gold are rewarded for smart play rather than just letting the game autobattle. 

Then there are like 100 OTHER THINGS like elemental weaknesses and being able to switch character turn order and burst limit type spells that allow you to alter the flow of combat and unleash deadly special attacks and and and and

AND AND AND 

THIS IS A BIG GAME.

And we haven't even gotten to

ANYTHING ELSE YET. 

Okay, next is the story. 

Damn I don't even want to begin with the story. 

I mean, some of the characters are lacking solid personalities, yes, but it's so much grander than that. 

At the risk of spoiling anything let me put it this way.

This game is two RPGs in one. 

Here's the short of it, this is a game about time travel. You will be traveling between two distinct timelines that the main character, Stocke, has created via one very important choice near the begining of the game. You will be traveling between the present and past of these two times lines both simultaneously and interchangably. 

Let me put it this way. 

Imagine an RPG in which you could travel back to any major plot point in while still retaining all your levels, skills, items, and knowledge of future events. 

YEAH, IT'S KIND OF FUCKING CRAZY.

Imagine if you could go back and make every single choice in a Mass Effect or Fallout game in one playthrough and then have half of those choices be game ending. Imagine if you could watch your party member die a horrible, grisly death and then go back ten minutes into the past and completely prevent it. 

Basically, do you want to be 

A FUCKING TIME WIZARD? 

If so, Radiant Historia may be the game for you.

And this isn't your bull shit "Let's save the element crystal spheres." RPG story either. This is a story about war, politics, and fanatical religious leaders. 

Once again, let me put it in simple yet frighteningly alluring terms. 

You are a steam punk FBI agent that works for a militaristic theocracy fighting against another nation that is the supposed root cause of the entire continent turning into a giant fucking desert because your prophet says they are evil. 

YEAH, I KNOW.

It's one of those stories where the betrayals are frequent, brutal, and almost never satisfying. If there is one thing this game does right with its narrative it is creating looming sense that the unknown may come crashing down on top of you at any moment. You never get a fucking break, something horrible is happening to everyone all the time constantly.

God I want to spoil everything right now so SO

MUCH. 

But I won't, not here anyway. 

And I'm not trying to say Radiant Historia is a perfect game, in fact it is quite the opposite. Some of overworld art is a bit bland, all the characters only have one detailed "talking head" sprite, and the story is actually super linear and almost entirely out of your direct control. 

But for it's few faults, I will say this. I will never forget the first time I brought an item from the future into the past to complete a quest. That is something just mind blowingly awesome that needs to be experienced by everyone. The way they give you direct control over the flow of the story blows so many preconceived notions of this genre out of the water that I would dare to call it "a mother fucking spectacle." 

Radiant Historia is pretty good you guys. You should play it.  

Also I wish I would have had spell check on when I wrote this.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thehexeditor

God damn your article is hyping me up.
    I will absolutely buy this game along with my 3DS.

buhssuht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By buhssuht

Sweet, I was planning to buy it after this Sunday at Toys R' us since they r gonna do but one get half off on all DS games. I just hope they got some other awesome DS game for me to pick up.

KittenMitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By KittenMitten

This game has been on my radar since someone mentioned it was a bit like Chrono Trigger. Glad to hear its good, especially since its coming out at this point in the DS's life cycle.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Thanks for posting this. I will definitely look into getting this game now.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By newhaap

Thank you, I was interested in that game when I first saw it, but then I thought it was just going to be another JRPG. I think I'm going to get it after all.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

This game seems cool. I might actually skip Pokemon this month (not that I think this will be better than Pokemon, but I've played enough Pokemon over the years that I can wait an extra month or two for more -- and also, you can always find a used copy of Pokemon, while this, being a pretty obscure game, might become hard to find if I wait too long) and import a copy of this instead (it doesn't look like it's coming out in Europe). I've got a $5 Play-Asia coupon that expires in six days, too, so this'll give me an opportunity to use that. 

EDIT: I did the math, and unless customs fees on my import copy of Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets turn out too high, I can afford this and Pokemon White this month. I'll order this later today. 

I really hope the combat in this game is fun. I literally haven't enjoyed a single purely turn-based game without Civilization or Pokemon in the title. Those excepted, I just need some real-time elements (like in Mario & Luigi, or Valkyrie Profile) not to get bored. This seems like it might be another exception... I hope so.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It's a good game but there are a couple of things that bother me about it.

Mostly it's the fact that they didn't include a mini-map on the top screen. It makes trying to navigate some of the larger areas a hassle. Not that big of a deal really, but still annoying.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By onarum

You convinced me man, I'll seriously consider getting this now. 

And yes, I pretty much went into auto-ignore on this game because of it being a JRPG, I'm pretty much fed-up with those.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Video looks fun, why not!.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kingzetta

And you say Dragon age 2 is a bad game.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Also, I'd like to point out that this game has a fantastic soundtrack

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Catolf

Awesome, looks like more people are willing to get this game.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably should have mentioned somehwere that this game also comes with a CD of the OST. 

That's probably important.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dungbootle

Ok dude I'll check it out but Pokemon still comes first.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By MisterMouse

looks like a pretty cool game actually.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Animasta
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    "

I probably should have mentioned somehwere that this game also comes with a CD of the OST. 

That's probably important.

"
    a 6 song sampler of piano renditions of songs.

Still great, but you know :P I simply adore this game, stocke is so fantastic why can't more protagonists, eastern OR western, be more like him :(
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Laketown: Okay I will be honest. 

I never actually looked at the CD after I took it out of the box.
    Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Captainlunchbox

This game is great and this is probably the best overview anyone has ever given it. Although I will add that you forgot about the awesome soundtrack. It's not just "Oh, well, of course it has that, it's an RPG." No. This is a really good soundtrack.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'm close to finishing it (about 26 hours in) but I really don't feel like playing anymore.

I'm going to take a short break and play something else. I'll come back to it after spring break.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

But can I transfer my Geodude to it?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Turambar

I'll just say this.  The degree to which the main character straight up abuses the time traveling ability is absolutely great.   For example, his friend loses his metal arm, becomes emo over it.  So the MC goes back in time in another timeline where said friend is evil, kills him, and takes his arm instead as replacement.

Combat is kind of broken though, in the "kill shit on turn one in a spectacular fashion" way.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Catolf
    @Turambar said:
    " I'll just say this.  The degree to which the main character straight up abuses the time traveling ability is absolutely great.   For example, his friend loses his metal arm, becomes emo over it.  So the MC goes back in time in another timeline where said friend is evil, kills him, and takes his arm instead as replacement. Combat is kind of broken though, in the "kill shit on turn one in a spectacular fashion" way. "
    NEH I'm not even that far! Spoiler much.. time traveling spoilers..
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#25  Edited By LordAndrew

I'm not ignoring it, I'm just... forgetful.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Fallen189

It got boring fast

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Zippedbinders

My idea of fun JRPG combat is Endless Frontier. Having not played this, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the rest, but the combat doesn't look all that hot to me.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Zippedbinders said:
    " My idea of fun JRPG combat is Endless Frontier. Having not played this, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the rest, but the combat doesn't look all that hot to me. "
    It's not. You can get through most of the game by spamming the same strategy over and over.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Catolf
    @Fallen189 said:
    " It got boring fast "
    not boring, though it did get a little burnt out.. but I over grinded XD

@FancySoapsMan said:
    " @Zippedbinders said:
    " My idea of fun JRPG combat is Endless Frontier. Having not played this, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the rest, but the combat doesn't look all that hot to me. "
    It's not. You can get through most of the game by spamming the same strategy over and over. "

Pretty much but never the less it's still fun.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mutha3

The lack of buzz around this game is really disappointing. As far as I'm concerned, its the best game released this year so far.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31  Edited By Icemael

I've played some. It's all right. The battle system is better than your average turn-based system, but that isn't saying much. There's been extremely little in terms of exploration and such things, and the 3D environments don't look especially good.

Great music though, and the story is pretty neat.

CaptHowdy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaptHowdy666

Started playing this.  Not too far in only a couple of hours but seems fun.  Just getting a handle on the skills and optimizing the battle format.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By striderno9

I want it, I just learned about this game today. 

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thehexeditor

God this game is extremely hard to find.. I managed to get a copy from ebay but does anyone know if they plan on reprinting more copies?

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By striderno9

I just bought a copy off someone from Amazon, some reseller, was selling it brand new for 35 bucks, oddly enough. I'll report back if I get screwed. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @thehexeditor: It's only $35 on Amazon, that's how much I paid for it a month ago.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Jimbo

Sounds a bit like the combat in Enchanted Arms?  Possibly the gayest game I have ever played.  And I mean gay as in gay.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TooSweet

I picked up Radiant Historia last weekend and currently working my way through Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga Endless Frontier. Finished Chrono Trigger two weeks ago. Really looking forward to Radiant Historia.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mutha3
    @Jimbo said:
    " Sounds a bit like the combat in Enchanted Arms?  Possibly the gayest game I have ever played.  And I mean gay as in gay. "
    I guess there are some similiarities. Mainly the part where this game takes place on a grid.

RH has a lot less superfluous elements to it, though.  You won't find EX boosts or minute long animations here.

Its also a lot less homoerotic. Depending on where you stand, this may be a good thing or a bad one.
    Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By Hardgamer

I used to like Pokemon, but I ended up hating it. I also don't really like that game on the top of the page.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Enigma777

Too late. Already ignored.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mutha3
    @Enigma777 said:
    " Too late. Already ignored. "
    Your avatar suits you>:(
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Seems interesting, and its on sale at my HMV I might get it tomorrow.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By thehexeditor
    @FancySoapsMan said:

" @thehexeditor: It's only $35 on Amazon, that's how much I paid for it a month ago. "

It's the funniest thing; between the time I posted and you posted Amazon refreshed its stock- probably with new copies of the game without the soundtrack CD.
    Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By Scrawnto

Wow, this sounds rad! Crazy rad! Crad!

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46  Edited By buft
    @thehexeditor said:
    " God this game is extremely hard to find.. I managed to get a copy from ebay but does anyone know if they plan on reprinting more copies? "
    I still cant find a box copy of it.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mcfart

The combat's a little dry, the lane stuff just seems tedious.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fenixrevolution

I'm probably going to grab this off Amazon soon, I have to order a Mother's Day gift, might as well get myself something.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By TehFlan

This game somehow went completely under my radar. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AlexW00d

Yeah I'll ignore this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.