Radiant Silvergun Flies To XBLA Spring 2011

• 59 results
Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

The theme at Microsoft’s Tokyo Game Show press conference was celebrating Japanese game creators and, in the service of that goal, a long-awaited Japanese classic is coming to the Xbox 360. Radiant Silvergun, the famed shooter developed by Ikaruga and Gunstar Heroes masterminds Treasure, is getting an enhanced port exclusively for Xbox Live Arcade next year.

Released in arcades and on the Sega Saturn back in 1998, Radiant Silvergun is a beloved top-down shooter often considered the precursor to Ikaruga. While revered for its high quality and pedigree, Radiant Silvergun only received a limited release in Japan, and was never officially brought stateside. Between that Japanese release and the small number of copies available, Radiant Silvergun has long been a sought after title by game collectors and shooter fans alike, with copies of the Saturn version of the game going for as much as $200 on Ebay

This is what a $200 shooter looks like. Now how much would you pay?

Now, more than 12 years after its original release, Radiant Silvergun is closer than ever to finally getting its proper US release in the form of a brand new port of the game developed by Treasure. And it looks like this enhanced port will be even more enhanced than the version of Ikaruga that Treasure put out on Xbox Live Arcade back in 2008. Beyond the online leaderboard support, Kotaku reports that the new port of Radiant Silvergun will feature enhanced visuals and online co-op.

Whether you’re a shooter connoisseur or just a fan of the genre, you’ll be able to take Radiant Silvergun on a trip to bullet hell next year. In the meantime, Giant Bomb will continue its exhaustive coverage of Radiant Silvergun’s Ebay auction price fluctuation over the weeks and months to come. Right now, mint or near-mint condition copies of the game are going for $200… but for how much longer?

Images courtesy of Kotaku.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

The theme at Microsoft’s Tokyo Game Show press conference was celebrating Japanese game creators and, in the service of that goal, a long-awaited Japanese classic is coming to the Xbox 360. Radiant Silvergun, the famed shooter developed by Ikaruga and Gunstar Heroes masterminds Treasure, is getting an enhanced port exclusively for Xbox Live Arcade next year.

Released in arcades and on the Sega Saturn back in 1998, Radiant Silvergun is a beloved top-down shooter often considered the precursor to Ikaruga. While revered for its high quality and pedigree, Radiant Silvergun only received a limited release in Japan, and was never officially brought stateside. Between that Japanese release and the small number of copies available, Radiant Silvergun has long been a sought after title by game collectors and shooter fans alike, with copies of the Saturn version of the game going for as much as $200 on Ebay

This is what a $200 shooter looks like. Now how much would you pay?

Now, more than 12 years after its original release, Radiant Silvergun is closer than ever to finally getting its proper US release in the form of a brand new port of the game developed by Treasure. And it looks like this enhanced port will be even more enhanced than the version of Ikaruga that Treasure put out on Xbox Live Arcade back in 2008. Beyond the online leaderboard support, Kotaku reports that the new port of Radiant Silvergun will feature enhanced visuals and online co-op.

Whether you’re a shooter connoisseur or just a fan of the genre, you’ll be able to take Radiant Silvergun on a trip to bullet hell next year. In the meantime, Giant Bomb will continue its exhaustive coverage of Radiant Silvergun’s Ebay auction price fluctuation over the weeks and months to come. Right now, mint or near-mint condition copies of the game are going for $200… but for how much longer?

Images courtesy of Kotaku.
#2 Posted by Rusputin (75 posts) -

2nd?

#3 Posted by Redbullet685 (6068 posts) -

2nd?

#4 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (473 posts) -

why don't all these good shooters come out on psn as well damn it >.<  

at least pac man is coming finally >.< 

#5 Posted by Shirogane (3581 posts) -

This'll be fun. PSN anyone? Please? Oh wait, I have a 360...
#6 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

If you think that's worth $200, why don't you take a look at my "radiant silvergun", if you know what I mean....

#7 Posted by Sil3n7 (1198 posts) -

This should be good.

#8 Posted by SnakeEyes327 (336 posts) -

Ouch, first Rez, then MVC2 and now Radiant Silvergun. Add in Panzer Dragoon Saga and the XBLA will have some of the rarer games that have been released. Still, an HD remake of Silvergun sounds fucking awesome. I can't wait.

#9 Posted by damswedon (3200 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg said:
" If you think that's worth $200, why don't you take a look at my "radiant silvergun", if you know what I mean.... "
We're talking penis here right?
#10 Posted by MikkaQ (10336 posts) -

Hell yeah! I've played this once, and it was awesome.

#11 Posted by kollay (1934 posts) -
@damswedon said:
" @MarkWahlberg said:
" If you think that's worth $200, why don't you take a look at my "radiant silvergun", if you know what I mean.... "
We're talking penis here right? "
#12 Posted by Plasticpals (123 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg: 

Uh, it's widely considered one of the best shoot-em-ups ever made, AND it's extremely rare.  So yeah, it's pretty fucking special.  Don't talk smack if you don't know wtf you're talking about.
#13 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I dont understand the whole "This is coming out on a downloadable service now my rare copy is worthless" thing. Anyone anywhere could play this game on a computer anytime they wanted. The reason that the game is expensive is because it's rare in it's original form, not because you cant play it unless you have it in it's original form. For instance, I am pretty sure that Ogre Battle released on some download service but it is still a super rare and expensive game if you have it in mint condition. It's the same thing as yeah, you could play an arcade game in MAME, or you could play it on XBLA or PSN, but there is still something about the experience of owning an arcade machine that makes it worth while. It's the same reason why I still have my NES, SNES, and N64 hooked to my old ass TV. I could just go play some of those games on my computer or on my Wii because of VC, but there is still something cool about owning them and playing them how they were originally intended on the system they came out on.

#14 Posted by tairygreene (4 posts) -

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

#15 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

kessler if it makes you feel any better ill buy your copy for 50$

#16 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -
@Plasticpals: If you can't tell the difference between talking smack and making a dumb penis joke, I have nothing to say to you.

@kollay: I laughed.
#17 Posted by phatjayunoi (19 posts) -

Like Ikaruga and Sega's Rez, I take it this awesome game will not be coming to the PSN as well. Shame really. 

*Goes off to listen to Radiant Silvergun's soundtrack* 

One of Hitoshi Sakimoto's best works in my opinion, epic boss music with "Debris" and "Evasion" happens to be my phone's ringtone, just to be all geeky about it.
#18 Posted by DBones (8 posts) -

Xbox Live Arcade is turning out to be a collector's worst nightmare.

#19 Posted by villainy (588 posts) -

No disrespect to Radiant Silvergun, but Ikaruga was mentioned so now I have to go watch all of those double play videos again and feel inferior because the two lobes of my brain are still connected.  Or something like that.

#20 Edited by NickLott (793 posts) -
@SnakeEyes327: Not to mention Ikaruga. Used copies of that game were going for 80+ dollars before the XBLA releasse. 

I should sell my PS2 copy of Ico.
#21 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

I think the price will stay the same. I mean, I can go look at every picture of Alec Soth's Sleeping by the Mississippi on his website, but a signed first edition is still $1,500 on Ebay.

#22 Posted by RaidenMitsuru (202 posts) -

SO AWESOME!!!!!

#23 Posted by Hosstile17 (768 posts) -

I own a Saturn copy and suck at it! Now you are telling me that I can suck at it and have leaderboards that all of my friends can see, so everyone knows how much I suck at it?! Sold!
#24 Posted by Master (16 posts) -

Wow, I can't wait for this!  What amazing news.

Some of the BEST music in a shooter, ever.

#25 Posted by deathfromace (166 posts) -

looks fun

#26 Posted by Jayzilla (2571 posts) -

i had radiant silvergun title for gamespot.

#27 Posted by Foggen (884 posts) -

This game is amazing.  Slow paced and strategic.

#28 Posted by TobyD81 (1230 posts) -

Dude, awesome. I haven't had a chance to play that yet.

#29 Posted by JJWeatherman (14564 posts) -

I've never been much of a fan of the "bullet hell" games, but this may be a cool game to pick up.

#30 Posted by sizu (391 posts) -

I too have a mint copy for my White JPN Saturn.   If I remember correctly it cost me something in the line of 120 quid on ebay, 

The fact that this is coming to xbla is cool, but not something that bothers me as an owner of the very collectable game.  The original, like the rest of my import Saturn collection, will always have a place close to my heart as  a gaming fan. 

I recommend anyone who has an interest in shmups buys this on release.  It is great:)

#31 Posted by lacke (360 posts) -

Finally the last reason why I got a 360 is coming out. The other ones were SotN, Rez and Ikaruga. However, I've played all of those before but not Radiant Silvergun. 

Just want to add I am disappointed with the SotN port.

#32 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -
@nicklott said:
I should sell my PS2 copy of Ico. "

You probably want to do that before the rumored HD ICO/SotC comes out...
#33 Posted by Th3dz (332 posts) -

Yes!!! XBLA Needs more Shmup action!

#34 Posted by fernog (5 posts) -

Can't wait to try this. Silvergun was one of those titles EGM highlighted back in the day, and that I coveted to play as a poor youngster. I'm glad they're making it widely available digitally (at this point I trust a digital copy moreso than a 12 year CD-ROM). And I'm sure theyll eventually put it and ikaruga on PSN.

#35 Posted by Tampera (16 posts) -

Radiant Silvergun? I can't remember the last time I played that, but looks meh.

#36 Posted by cue_kalamos (45 posts) -

can i get a ps3 version? people own the ps3 too you know game publishers.

#37 Posted by kagato (954 posts) -

I bought this years ago on the Saturn and still have it sitting in my collection, one of those games im too afraid to play incase i ruin it somehow lol.  Im glad to see this getting a proper release in the West though, now people can play and enjoy one of the greatest shooters ever created!

#38 Posted by eezo (286 posts) -
@cue_kalamos said:
" can i get a ps3 version? people own the ps3 too you know game publishers. "

#39 Posted by steevl (203 posts) -

I finally played this game back in 2003 or so and damn did I suck at it. I'll be happy to get it on XBLA though.

#40 Posted by SunKing (686 posts) -

Can. Not. Wait. :D :D :D

#41 Edited by Zaapp1 (660 posts) -
Bullet Hell games scare me... except for 1941 (if that's even in the same category.)
#42 Posted by DrRocktapus (15 posts) -

What. 

WHAT.

#43 Posted by Rmack (1078 posts) -

My white whale has beached.

#44 Posted by Vonocourt (2160 posts) -

Fucking ace.

#45 Posted by jhevans51 (39 posts) -

Dammit! Bullet-hell, here I come!

#46 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1500 posts) -

I only wanted it when I knew I couldn't have it.

#47 Posted by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

<douche>
OLD GAME? IT BETTER NOT BE MORE THAN 800 M$P!!!! THEY LOVE RIPPING US OFF!
</douche>
Awesome.

#48 Posted by SepticShock (43 posts) -

Solid...

#49 Edited by Jeust (10823 posts) -

Right now, mint or near-mint condition copies of the game are going for $200… but for how much longer?     

The xbox live arcade games, especially ports, cut down on all the fluff, like cutscenes, and without the packaging, manual, and all the stuff that composed the original game, it isn't the same thing. 

So to a normal person a 200$ copy won't fly, but to a real collector it isn't too much, unless he can get it cheaper in the same conditions. 
#50 Posted by Bacchus (106 posts) -

I love this game.  Very excited to see it get the HD treatment.  I am stoked as hell that more people are finally gonna get to play it. 

And there is no way I would ever sell my Saturn copy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.