Call to Reviewers (Final opinion on Rage)

• 68 results
#1 Posted by AV_Gamer (605 posts) -

This post isn't singling out Giantbomb, though I do believe they share some guilt. This post is to call out all the reviewers who've lied and said Rage was a great game.

I finally got around to playing Rage, and the game was mediocre at best, along with the technical problems. We already know about how id software screwed PC gamers,

something that should have been factored into the reviews. At least Gamestop did have two separate reviews, the PC one calling out the flaws.

But to the other reviewers kissing id's arse, shame on you.

Shame on you for acting like Rage was something special, when everything from the intelligent gameplay, to the driving, was done better in other games.

Shame on you for giving id a pass for it's horrible technical issues, knowing that most other developers would have been taken to task for it.

Not only is this a basic shooter that rips off Borderlands so much it isn't funny.

The game has one of the worst endings I've ever seen. After a basic mission, the game just ends.

Yet Duke Nukem Forever, which was also mediocre, gets ripped apart by mainstream reviewers?

At least the game didn't have horrible technical issues, and it did have an ending.

Next time be honest about a game and stop kissing the developers arse.

That ends my "cool story... bro".

#2 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1202 posts) -

Opinions, huh?

#3 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

I never hit any major bugs and i loved the shooting and basically the entire game its self. I would've totally given Rage five stars and most reviews mentioned that the PC version was plagued by bugs, so i honestly can't figure out what you're so worked up about....

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@TheVeteran13 said:

Opinions, huh?

I was gonna post and tell him to get off his high horse. Then figured it was not worth it.

#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@AV_Gamer said:

This post is to call out all the reviewers who've lied and said Rage was a great game.

#6 Posted by CornBREDX (5046 posts) -

Gamestop doesn't review games, they sell them. I assume you meant Gamespot.

Also, I disagree so that's why they are opinions. Everyone's is different. Yours is fascinating =)

#7 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

Opinions, huh?

I was gonna post and tell him to get off his high horse. Then figured it was not worth it.

...You just got out what you were gonna say by pretending you didnt say it

#8 Posted by VoshiNova (1667 posts) -

I feel like I should call you an idiot, but I know at some point in time you'll look at this post and be like, "was I serious?"

At least I hope so....

#9 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

I have to recheck the reviews I read because I don't recall the term great used in describing this game.
Did everyone on the PC have issues? I was under the impression that it affected certain video cards with certain drivers... but not all PC. I know there was a big snafu on launch but it got fixed.
From what I've read from GB forums most say there's only the slightest art style with borderlands. That's it.
Since the game is as bad as you say I'm glad I haven't gotten this game

Yet

#10 Edited by AV_Gamer (605 posts) -

If you thought my first post was crazy? Here's another one for you.

Borderlands

1. Wasteland thugs

2. Psycho rushers, including midget ones.

3. Tall, Muscular, Heavy Weapons Guy.

4. Driving around with a combat vehicle.

5. etc, etc,

Rage

1. Wasteland thugs

2. Midget Psycho rushers. (Spoilers: They're even the final bosses)

5. etc, etc,

Anyone else still in denial?

#11 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

@AV_Gamer: THIS JUST IN. VIDEOGAMES ARE LIKE OTHER VIDEOGAMES, PARTICULARLY WHEN THEY'RE OF A SHARED GENRE.

#12 Posted by Vonocourt (2124 posts) -

@AV_Gamer said:

Borderlands

1. Wasteland thugs

5. etc, etc,

Rage

1. Wasteland thugs

5. etc, etc,

Besides the first reason, you just described... oh no.

#13 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5205 posts) -

You must be young and have no idea what an opinion is yet.

@AV_Gamer said:

Borderlands

1. Wasteland thugs

5. etc, etc,

Rage

1. Wasteland thugs

5. etc, etc,

Super Mario Bros.

1. Platformer

2. Have to move to the right

3. Kills dudes by jumping on enemies

4. Has a protagonist

5. Has a level 1st level

Sonic The HedgeHog (1991)

1. Platformer

2. Have to move to the right

3. Kills dudes by jumping on enemies

4. Has a protagonist

5. Has a level 1st level

Wow, that was dumb.

#14 Posted by VoshiNova (1667 posts) -

@AV_Gamer said:

Borderlands

1. Wasteland thugs

5. etc, etc,

Rage

1. Wasteland thugs

5. etc, etc,

:( please stop.

If you cannot recall any other games with similar settings characters, then your points ar.......oh fuck it.

your right. People are really stupid for liking Rage so much and sucking up to the developer by giving it scores that are too high.

#15 Edited by AV_Gamer (605 posts) -

Interesting...

When I first said Rage was a ripoff of Borderlands, people were posting claiming it wasn't, saying it was unique in it's own way.

Now people are responding to my list by pointing out how other games have similar gameplay themes, something I've never disagreed with, and was in fact pointing out about Rage.

This is starting to get fun, keep it up.

I might make another crazy post, showing how overrated Rage is.

#16 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5205 posts) -

@AV_Gamer said:

Interesting...

When I first said Rage was a ripoff of Borderlands, people were posting claiming it wasn't, saying it was unique in it's own way.

Now people are responding to my list by pointing out how other games have similar gameplay themes, something I've never disagreed with, and was in fact pointing out about Rage.

I'll flag you for creating flame threads then and hopefully you get banned, or maybe you'll just get a stern talking to mister.

#17 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

Did you not watch the quicklook?

It was an hour of super generic FPSing

#18 Edited by AV_Gamer (605 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos:

Go right ahead.

I'm not attacking anyone on this website, but the game and it's Developers, and the reviewers I disagree with which goes beyond this website.

If such a thread makes me a "troublemaker" then that's very unfortunate.

#19 Edited by Levio (1784 posts) -

You should upload a video of you destroying the disc. That way people know you're serious.

#20 Posted by Vonocourt (2124 posts) -

@AV_Gamer said:

Stating it has similar themes is a bit different than crying rip-off.

#21 Edited by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

1: Shift Key. 
2: Opinions. 
3: Rage rips off Borderlands... How? In that they share a setting that's exists far before either was released?  
4: I hate this thread. 
5: I'm serious. 
6: I really am.   
 EDIT: 
7: Poor use of "Cool Story Bro". 
8: Why am I still reading this thread?

#22 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1202 posts) -

@AV_Gamer: No one said that Rage was unique, they said reviewers opinions of Rage are unique to themselves. No one cares that you disagree with a certain games review and making threads complaining about said reviews does not make you a "troublemaker" it just makes you look kind of dumb

#23 Posted by Lockeyness (187 posts) -

Thought first post was a poem

'cause of the format

Was very disappointed

#24 Posted by AV_Gamer (605 posts) -

@rebgav: Really?

Can you explain to me why?

I honestly want to know?

#25 Edited by JazzyJeff (399 posts) -

I'm not really enjoying Rage either. It has cool character designs and great atmosphere, but almost every other aspect is mediocre. I don't consider that enough to carry an entire game.

Do I feel like I was lied to by reviewers? Not really. The reviews I've read are backed up by good points, and I can see why they like it. It's just for me, personally, it's not a game I enjoy enough to spend much more time with.

#26 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

AV_Gamer the Mind Reader Supreme

He knows when you lie about games. He tells you what your opinion.

#27 Posted by Amilmitt (237 posts) -

@AV_Gamer: i have a hard time believing you actually played Rage.

Combat feels amazing. shooting is probably the best out of any game(id knows how to make satisfying weapons)

Most technical issues were fixed within a few weeks. Cormack just thought he had made an engine that could do without a need to be custom set, he was wrong. but you have to cut him some slack, AMD didn't get the drivers right, As well as the fact that this is an entirely NEW engine(New technology and such)

Also the driving is done extremely well, different parts to equip and multiple weapons and such. i like my driving in games, and i can say that Rage has some really satisfying driving.

#28 Posted by utamaru (96 posts) -

@AV_Gamer: @AV_Gamer said:

@rebgav: Really?

Can you explain to me why?

I honestly want to know?

Let me answer your questions for you:

1) Yes

2) That's what you want, isn't it

3) Liar

#29 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

I didn't really enjoy the game, but man, I'm nowhere near your level of crazy. I thought it was decidedly average, which is my opinion, just like the written statements of the reviewers are ... their opinions.

#30 Posted by Andorski (5239 posts) -

@AV_Gamer said:

Interesting...

The sarcasm behind SethPhotopoulos' comparison of Super Mario Bros and Sonic went right over your head, huh?

#31 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Rage was demoed at E3 2007, months before Borderlands was announced.

They're not even really similar. Rage is a focused, linear shooter with heavy emphasis on gameplay, whereas Borderlands is a massive level grind with a million variations of the same two guns. The only similarity is the theme which came directly from Mad Max anyway.

#32 Posted by airconditionn (44 posts) -

@Lockeyness said:

Thought first post was a poem

'cause of the format

Was very disappointed

In my opinion, best post so far.

Also, I enjoy Rage, been playing it quite a bit over the past couple of weeks between going to school and working full time, and I enjoy it. Story's kind of dry and obvious, but I like the ability it gives me to in a sense choose my own style of combat with all the different things you can engineer. And I won't even get into how Rage is not simply a ripoff of Borderlands.

#33 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I think it's time to cut your losses and tell the mods they should lock this thread down duder.

#34 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

It has an 80 on metacritic, which means its a good game that will not be game of the year but is still fun. Nobody's kissing this games ass, it hasn't recieved one perfect score. I think it was rated fairly. However this website does seem to agree with you.

#35 Posted by Robo (790 posts) -

I'm really not as crazy about it as a couple reviewers have been either. Frankly, I wish I could have just rented it and saved the remaining $50 or so for the upcoming onslaught of games.

And yes, at times it does look and feel like "Borderfallout." Not that it's really a bad thing or uncommon at all for games to copy parts of other popular titles in the genre. I'd give examples but there are too many to list.

That said, the reviewers are entitled to their own opinion. Hell, most reviews haven't exactly been glowing anyway, just positive.

#36 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@AV_Gamer Just your opinion, dude. Reviewers didn't lie just because you don't agree with them. Also, most of them said it's "very good" but not "great".

Btw, the game didn't rip off Borderlands.

#37 Posted by ShaggE (6401 posts) -

Reviewer likes a game that you don't like? He must be an unethical liar! We must break open this conspiracy!

#38 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1232 posts) -

I thought it was straight up bad. I regret my purchase. But hey, it's id, gotta give it a go.

#39 Posted by Vortextk (419 posts) -

Welcome to the adult world where everyone will never, ever agree on one thing(even the slightest thing, you know, like a fucking video game) ever.

#40 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

@TheVeteran13 said:

Opinions, huh?

No, reputations. Take id out of the equation and there's no doubt in my mind that this game would be metacriticing a good 10-15 points lower than where it is.

#41 Posted by TMThomsen (2071 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@AV_Gamer said:

This post is to call out all the reviewers who've lied and said Rage was a great game.

I really enjoyed Rage. It's a pretty great game. It's a front-runner for Shotgun of the Year, that's for sure.

Yup, totally agree. I'm having a great time with RAGE (I insist on writing it in all-caps).

#42 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -

well this looks like fun, can I say that everyone is arsekissing gears3 because they are an idiot for not having the same opinion as me? Because it is clearlly a 8/10 in my book for many reasons but the lack of gaysex in it, was just stupid because dom is lookin all like bro, I know you wanna fudgepack me and lick the vanila.

#43 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@Amilmitt said:

@AV_Gamer:

Combat feels amazing. shooting is probably the best out of any game(id knows how to make satisfying weapons)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
#44 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

While I agree that RAGE was not as good as it has been touted, I disagree that RAGE is a ripoff of Borderlands. They're just very, very different games.

#45 Posted by DeanoXD (608 posts) -

@AV_Gamer: if you didn't like the game, fine i can understand that. but to be so arrogant that your opinion is the only opinion that matters and that reviewers who enjoyed the game are all liar's because of it makes you incredible narcissistic. So unless you can do it better get over yourself.

#46 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

Opinions, huh?

No, reputations. Take id out of the equation and there's no doubt in my mind that this game would be metacriticing a good 10-15 points lower than where it is.

I think so, too.
#47 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@mnzy said:

@Jimbo said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

Opinions, huh?

I think so, too.

That must keep you both up at night.

You have no idea.

#48 Posted by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

I agree that Rage wasn't anything special. I wrote a review on the site explaining my reasoning, but it was at least better than DNF. Rage was at least enjoyable, if not memorable.

#49 Posted by Tahnit (139 posts) -

I love rage. And here is why AV_Gamer.

1. combat is amazing. The weapons feel powerful and with different weapon mods can become entirely different weapons altogether. The enemies have the best AI ive seen in a game in a looooonnnnngggg time. Enemies take cover, flank, and try and fake you out when they are running at you. Some of theme even parquor over ledges and stuff.

2. driving feels fast and controls extremly well. Its arcadey yes but its meant to be. The fact that you can shoot while driving is very fun and can be a blast in the races.

3. The graphics are amazing. Stop looking at textures up close. look at the environments as a whole and you will notice it looks like concept art. There is so much variety in the environments that other games look lame in comparison. especially the combat levels. Some of them just look like they took a painting or a concept art piece and pasted that on the level, which in fact they DID. Thats how the megatexturing tech works.

All in all im loving rage. It is a great game.

#50 Posted by evanbrau (1162 posts) -

If you think Duke Nukem Forever was mediocre instead of abysmal you have bizarre standards.

I am enjoying Rage even though I think I'm on the underwhelming last mission I've been hearing about. The car-combat is a nice change of pace and the actual shooting is enjoyable. It's not going to change the genre but it's definitely a decent FPS with some very minor RPG elements. It's definitely a more well put together package than Borderlands which felt like it was struggling to hold itself together every second I played it. It's probably also worth pointing out that the two aren't really similar beyond the setting. I have a feeling the OP will just ignore all of this and call me names or something though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.