Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

Call to Reviewers (Final opinion on Rage)

• 68 results
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By SSully

I say the subscribers join together and demand that brads head be removed for this lie of a review during the next happy hour.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By largo6661

Hey dude if you dont like Rage thats cool. You are right about the pc version i was pissed too, but it works fine now. But lets get one thing straight, no review has come out and said rage was revolutionery, all the revierws I read said that rage was a pretty but basic shooter. And how is it like borderlands apart from the fact they both have guns in them? borderlands is an rgp through and through. Rage is pretty far away from an rgp, rage is a run and gun shooter nothing more. ps has it ever occured to you that your the only one who feels like this, i mean prehaps the reviews were good because the reviewers liked the game? hmmmmmm

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Jimbo said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

Opinions, huh?

No, reputations. Take id out of the equation and there's no doubt in my mind that this game would be metacriticing a good 10-15 points lower than where it is.

Normally, I'd call 'ignorant bs' on this, but I think there's actually some real merit to this statement. I get the feeling that people were so excited for a new id game that they put their blinders on to what would have normally been some serious issues. Before anyone gets pissed off, let me just say I know it's completely unfair of me to say that, but that's just how I feel.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@SSully said:

I say the subscribers join together and demand that brads head be removed for this lie of a review during the next happy hour.

Oh dear lord now this again lol. When did that all start? Was is the Ico/SotC quick look?

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By swoxx

When are people going to learn that a review is a fucking opinion and not a goddamn statement of objective facts. Man.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SSully

@BabyChooChoo: Have no fear, I am being sarcastic! Brad can do no wrong in my eyes.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@SSully: Oh, I know. I love me some Brad too (wow...that sounded all sorts of wrong), but I was just trying to remember what is was Brad did/does that made so many people lose their minds. I remember a ton of people asking for him to be fired and all this nonsense. To be honest, I wasn't even angry about it. I just laughed because people took it to heart as if Brad just burnt down their houses or something lol

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Robo

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Jimbo said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

Opinions, huh?

No, reputations. Take id out of the equation and there's no doubt in my mind that this game would be metacriticing a good 10-15 points lower than where it is.

Normally, I'd call 'ignorant bs' on this, but I think there's actually some real merit to this statement. I get the feeling that people were so excited for a new id game that they put their blinders on to what would have normally been some serious issues. Before anyone gets pissed off, let me just say I know it's completely unfair of me to say that, but that's just how I feel.

It's really not an unfair observation at all. Of course id/Bethesda's pedigrees could have influenced some reviewers' opinions.

That said, some may have been more willing to overlook some faults while others may have held it to a higher standard. If you take it out of the equation I don't know how much it would have actually affected the metacritic score.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By soldierg654342

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Jimbo said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

Opinions, huh?

I'm inclined to agree as well. id software is a watershed developer that holds a special place in the hearts of most of this generation's reviewers, them having spent a large amounts of time on the DOOMs and Quakes. You can't fault them though. Everyone has been more forgiving of their favorite authors, bands, and directors once or twice on occasions where they probably didn't deserve it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SSully

@BabyChooChoo: Oh yes. One of the incidents was when he was doing bad with the SoTC. People were giving him shit because he forgot how the stamina bar worked even though he wrote the review for the game on gamespot.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By redbliss

Maybe the reviewers should consult you before they write their reviews.

PXAbstraction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By PXAbstraction

So basically what I'm understanding is that the OP has an opinion about the game and because every review doesn't share it, they're biased? If that's the case, firstly I don't think you understand how proper reviews (i.e. honest ones) are supposed to work and secondly, it's an argument that's been had since the dawn of time. Reviews are not made to validate your opinion. If a site takes an editorial tone that you don't agree with that's fine but no one forces you to read them. Perhaps, just perhaps, the entire rest of the world doesn't think as you do.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#63  Edited By AV_Gamer

People there's a difference between giving your opinion, and neglecting to state important facts a consumer should know before they buy a product. Many reviewers failed to mention the horrible technical problems the game has. That can not be excused. Personally, I don't think Rage is anything special. If others think it is fine, but reviewers should be honest all around, not giggling fan boys.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/rage/review.html?tag=games%3Bgame_title%3B6

These guys had the heart to point everything out, even making two reviews.

Which is ironic given the so called history of how this website was started.

Just my opinion.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By Tennmuerti

And, mindbogglingly, the PC version launched in a miserable state that rendered it unplayable on ATI cards, though a matter of hours later an emergency set of drivers seems to have things working fine on both brands of GPU.

Say what?

tahnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By tahnit

@AV_Gamer: The game ran fine on my computer right out of the box. Yes some people had problems but a lot of people like me had no problems whatsoever.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By leebmx

@Tennmuerti said:

And, mindbogglingly, the PC version launched in a miserable state that rendered it unplayable on ATI cards, though a matter of hours later an emergency set of drivers seems to have things working fine on both brands of GPU.

Say what?

Yes please answer this one Mr AV. Just about every review I have read has mentioned the PC debacle.Maybe you have just scanned the scores rather than read the text of reviews. Scores, as we know can be very misleading, but that is a whole other issue not related to Rage at all.

As for my two pence worth. I thought on the plus side Rage was:

1.The best looking game I have ever played on console with great character animations and art (especially loved the contrast between The Authority's clean tech and the wasteland.)

2.Super smooth 60fps

3.Fantastic feeling weapons

4.Great Voice acting (although poor dialogue)

5.Fun driving

6.OK enjoyable combat

On the Minus:

1.Poor Story

2,Average Gameplay

3.Aparently poor ending (haven't got there yet.)

Basically it is a game I will have finished before Batman comes out and which I will be happy to trade in for said game. It is an amazing looking OK generic shooter. Well worth the 80 it has on metacritic if you are prepared to accept the slightly wacky way games are scored.

Sawboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Sawboss

I think 4 stars is prob the right call for this game having just finished it. 3 stars just seems too harsh, although I can totally see why someone might go with that over 4. Now if Brad had given it a 5, I totally would have agreed with the opening post. I had fun with it, worth the 8 bucks from red box (took me 4 nights to beat), that is for sure. Now if I had paid 60, well maybe I would have been a little more peeved.

While the story was pretty butt, I will say I did really enjoy the character designs. They had a lot of personality, especially that sweet shop keeping in Wellspring.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By napalm
    @rebgav said:

@AV_Gamer said:

@rebgav: Really?

Can you explain to me why?

I honestly want to know?

The shooting feels good, there's a decent mix of enemy types, you have multiple options in how you approach an encounter based on your load-out and inventory items, the game often looks really nice and the driving & ccg mini-games were fun diversions. Each weapon has a unique feel and a clear purpose and each stayed viable until the end of the game due to the different ammo types, giving a fairly small assortment of weapons a lot more depth than I expected. Basically, the game was fun to play and a refreshing change from military shooters.

I love you. And yes, the shotgun feels pretty fucking awesome. Why am I not following you yet?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.