Do you think they'll make a Rage sequel/prequel?

#1 Posted by NTM (8353 posts) -

I just got this game today, and since my brother is playing a game that he bought, I'll have to wait, but I have no idea if they would make one or not. So I'm asking you, do you think they will? I don't really keep track of how much money games get unless I hear about it, and I also don't know if the first Rage's end sets it up for a sequel.

#2 Posted by believer258 (12832 posts) -

The first Rage's end could easily have a sequel in there, but then the game isn't really very story driven.

Meanwhile, Rage kind of came and left. I don't know if it made a profit, but if it did I'd be surprised if it was a lucrative one. Suffice it to say that I would be a bit surprised if Rage got a sequel.

Where the fuck is Doom 4? Or Quake 5, I'd be happy with a Quake 5 as well.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (6343 posts) -

If they just made a FPS game and not trying to be Borderlands then I would like to see it. But I don't think the game did very well sales wise and since it was under development forever we won't see one till after Doom 4 so maybe another decade

#4 Posted by fox01313 (5175 posts) -

Hard to tell, the world itself is open enough (as the first game focuses on such a small part of geography being just a few towns/locations) that it could support it. I just would hope that if they did, they'd get a better writer especially for the ending of the game. I'd really enjoy a sequel to this but seeing more of the world or just pick a few rather diverse locations (ie. Toyko, London, NYC, ect.) & see how they've dealt with the apocalypse.

#5 Edited by NTM (8353 posts) -

@believer258: I agree, I would love to see another Doom or Quake. I prefer if they were sequels to the previous games. Quake 4 ended in a way that would make it seem like a sequel could come.

@fox01313: Huh... Yeah, a lot of people have been saying the ending sucks. That's unfortunate.

#6 Posted by Crixaliz (808 posts) -

@believer258: Pretty sure id is currently working on Doom 4.

There was a rumor going around that people at id were laid off because Rage didn't do that well. Bethesda denied it and they released some Doom 4 concept art.

#7 Posted by wjb (1760 posts) -

Since id is in the business of making sequels or iterations of all their franchises, it's totally possible. I suppose it depends on how well it sold.

Personally, I don't care. It was an okay game, but if it weren't for people here bringing it up every now and then, I would have totally forgotten about it.

#8 Posted by Landon (4134 posts) -

I really liked Rage. I hope so.

#9 Posted by thedj93 (1260 posts) -

sure i guess. its dangerously inessential though

#10 Posted by NTM (8353 posts) -

I'm installing it now, I hope since I'm expecting to be surprised, I hope it's a good surprise, and not a bad. I don't really know exactly what to expect since I only played the demo, and while fun enough, it didn't really give me a great idea what the game was all about I don't think. I hope since I see all these somewhat negative opinions about it, I'll take it for granted and then be pleasantly surprised.

#11 Posted by Turtlebird95 (3080 posts) -

I wouldn't totally rule it out, but it won't be happened for quite awhile.

#12 Posted by JasonR86 (10007 posts) -

Probably. It will likely have a much smaller budget though.

#13 Posted by believer258 (12832 posts) -

@NTM said:

I'm installing it now, I hope since I'm expecting to be surprised, I hope it's a good surprise, and not a bad. I don't really know exactly what to expect since I only played the demo, and while fun enough, it didn't really give me a great idea what the game was all about I don't think. I hope since I see all these somewhat negative opinions about it, I'll take it for granted and then be pleasantly surprised.

It's a good game. Don't worry, you'll probably have some shooting and driving fun. The biggest issue is that the ending isn't satisfying, so it leaves your opinion of the rest a bit tarnished. Think the Mass Effect 3 syndrome.

#14 Posted by fox01313 (5175 posts) -

@NTM: Yeah the last Quake4 was just a big wonky mess where just one guy freaking out that you changed a little then fighting on their side again would have made the game a lot better as well as the ending. Wouldn't mind myself if there's just a good Doom or Quake new game instead of Rage assuming they learn from their mistakes.

#15 Posted by spartanlolz92 (520 posts) -

some many things that this game couldve been.

if just made it more open world and longer than 7 hours.

i was really underwhelmed considering that they spent 5 years on it. great shooting though and i loved how it played like a fps ratchet and clank with all the gadgets

#16 Posted by Sackmanjones (5206 posts) -

I enjoyed rage a good amount. Wouldn't mind seeing a return

#17 Posted by NTM (8353 posts) -

I don't know how many hours in I am so far, but the game is alright. Not bad, but not superb. I think it's nearly reaching the "really great" mark, but not quite. I like it so far, though I don't care for the driving bits, and I hope to see more of the environment by foot. I think the atmosphere, though very little of it I've seen so far isn't bad, but I imagine that if there were a sequel, it'd be nice if they focused on making it even better. I am a little surprised how it looks half photo-realistic, and half cel-shaded, though the one thing that brings the visuals down is a lot of low res detail in the environments and every single time you turn it has to load the textures, and while the lighting is pretty great, some of it looks a little too bright than it should. Also, the one thing that has to be better, but as of right now I'm not minding, is that there's barely a story, it's just mission after mission of should-be-mundane tasks, that are held up because of the shooting and atmosphere. I cringe at the moments someone says I have to go drive a vehicle to progress, but it's OK. The other thing I have a problem with though it's mostly minor, is that the sound seems to be too loud. I turned all the sound bars up in the options menu, and it sounds a little screechy.

#18 Posted by Daiphyer (1419 posts) -

I hope not. My biggest complaint against that game was that it lacked soul. I kept asking myself why does Rage exists other than to showcase their new engine, and I couldn't come up with a good answer.

#19 Posted by Village_Guy (2769 posts) -

I don't know... The game felt a little lacking in some areas, it lacked... soul you could say I guess.

#20 Posted by NTM (8353 posts) -

Right now, I'm having a good time with it. Maybe it'll get worse, but now that I just got to the second disk, it got even better. Obviously, if I like the game enough once I beat it, I hope there is a sequel. If everything in Rage was twice as good as it is now, then it'd be near perfect I think.

#21 Edited by NTM (8353 posts) -

Well, I just beat it, and I do agree about the ending not being very well executed, but I will say, for a game that seemed pretty traditional for a shooter, and as a shooter, it did it extremely well. As I said previously, if everything was a step up from what it was, it would probably be one of my favorite shooters ever made. Aside from the get in car and get to next mission (although that was done with enough variety so that if you chose to equip new stuff along the way, it could make for a more interesting time), I really had a blast playing the game for the most part. I do hope they make a sequel, and improve on everything that needed to be improved on from the first, and then some. From a numerical score system, I'd give it an 8.7, or four out of five stars. I'm glad I got it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.