Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

Doe's Rage get boring quickly?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

I'm just curious if anyone that played rage found it to get boring quickly. I'm hesitating about buying rage. Looking at some of the vids it seems like it has a lack of weapons, and it might get repetitive quickly. But people are saying its very fun. Can anyone give there thoughts about rage. Is it worth the 60 bucks?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

What is this "doe's"?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Who is Doe?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @falserelic said:

I'm just curious if anyone that played rage found it to get boring quickly. I'm hesitating about buying rage. Looking at some of the vids it seems like it has a lack of weapons, and it might get repetitive quickly. But people are saying its very fun. Can anyone give there thoughts about rage. Is it worth the 60 bucks?

The gun play is real good. It feel great. Its more fun when you get the engineer items. 
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Sackmanjones

Ive enjoyed it throughout the game. Not a huge fan of the driving but its totally fine.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Masha2932

Doe? Doh? Dough?  

It sucks that you can't edit titles.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@EveretteScott said:

What is this "doe's"?

That's why you got to check your header before you publish kids! People will call you out.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar

Doe does not find Rage to get boring quickly. I did however.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By badsmalltalker

It became very boring to me

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Does are always funny when they're angry.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Just chasing dem does.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By huntad

Yes, it got boring surprising quickly.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#13  Edited By psykhophear
    "Doe's Rage get boring quickly?"

That's some good engrish dude. XD

I'm still playing Rage and I'm loving it. The missions can get repetitive and I'm trying my best to not stop halfway and instead finish it quickly before the boredom kicks in.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DonPixel

I sometimes wonder what's with people taking a purchase desicion after asking an ambiguous questions that answer lies in the subjective interpretation of strangers, Is it to hard to read a review?

long story short: make better questions.

BadOrcLDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BadOrcLDR

I got about 7 hours into the game before I couldn't take it anymore. The combat felt decent, but it was just so boring. I'm having similar reactions to a lot of shooters, though.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BBQBram

I'm playing on hard, completing everything, about 14 hours in. Love it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's not "doe". It's "do me".

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By shivermetimbers

I'm not quite bored of it yet, though it is getting repetitive and the plot is pretty much non-existent.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

No, it doesn't get boring, but I do find it best played in shorter burst, tackling one mission area at a time, or doing a few races.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By matthias2437

@falserelic: No I didn't think it got boring fast at all, I have played 20 hours since release and am still enjoying it. Even the online car combat is a lot of fun, and thats saying a lot coming from me since I don't really like online multiplayer or car combat.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Twisted_Scot

If it wasn't for the boring driving parts I would have given up on the boring shooting parts already...oh...then yes.

It's not a horrible game but there are such few locations to go to. You will go to (for example) Dead City. From there you will go back to town. From town you will talk to someone that needs you to go to...Dead City. There's even an achievement for completing the 2nd Dead City level (called "ytiC daeD") because is basically the whole level played backwards with a little extra at the start. Don't get me wrong its not a terrible game, the controls are decent, homemade weapons are fun and the game looks amazing but there is a REAL lack of content IMO. I doubt if it looked like an average game it would have scored as highly as it did. Worth playing to SEE it but if you can rent or borrow it id have to go with that.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By csl316

Well, play on nightmare and you'll have a much more interesting experience. Co op on nightmare's been a real treat, too.

And I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying the non-shooter stuff, too.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GunslingerPanda

A doe's rage is NEVER boring.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By ikwal

It became boring about 15 seconds after you started playing. The driving and shooting feels bad, and that's all there is in the game. There's no real story or interesting characters, and the enemies are bulletsponges.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Not boring but not exactly great either. If your the type who finishes games no matter what then you'll be ok. I find the gunplay to be quite plain and the guns sound horrible.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By DeF

I love making fun of bad grandma

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By metalmoog

As far as a single player FPS goes the gameplay is fantastic. Best I've played in a shooter. Enemies duck and weave, cover, climb up walls and are really challenging at times. The guns are varied and kick with power and the driving is fun and arcadey. I love RAGE but didn't expect it to be Borderlands either.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mackgyver

Yeah it does get boring after awhile. I can't play it for more than an hour or two, depending on whats going on in the story, before I have to quit out, go do something else and come back to it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@rebgav said:

Doe? A deer. A female deer.

It is also a female rabbit.

spookyfaust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By spookyfaust

@rebgav said:

Doe? A deer. A female deer.

Ray? A drop of golden sun.

Really, the first?

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By CosmicQueso

D'oh!

StriderJ8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By StriderJ8

I can't quite understand it... The game has all the makings of a great game: solid combat, smooth beautiful graphics, a post apocalyptic sci fi world. It's everything I love in games, and yet it's boring the fuck out of me. Maybe it's something wrong with me, but I burnt out on it quick. It's just missing that special something I guess.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By themangalist
    @falserelic
    I was going to blog about the problems of Rage, but I'll type them up here for quick impression and hope it helps your decision:

I won't say Rage is bad.... horrible launch issues aside, it just isn't a very good shooter. If I were to rate it 1 to 10, it'd probably be around 7.

Everything looked fine when demoed. The shooting looked impactful. The game looked varied and open. But when you put your hands on the game, not really.

The shooting is probably the "worst" i've played. This coming from someone who has tolerated Fallout's bullet-sponge RPG pea-shooting which hardly even qualifies as a proper FPS. Yes, the enemies stagger in amazing ways when you shoot them, depending on which parts you hit, but after a moment or two you start noticing the game's only playing animations. And these animations cannot be broken or stopped. It's worse since you start out with a pistol, which you could clearly count how many shots it takes to kill an enemy. Sometimes, 1 headshot would suffice. But sometimes even 5-6 depending how you are shooting its head. When the enemy is "playing the getting shot at animation", your bullets do zero damage. So basically everytime you shoot something, you wait for its animation to end before shooting it again. That is not what I call good shooting.

The game made a fatal decision to give players an open-world feel and that absolutely spoils them. As if the game wasn't so similar aesthetically to post-apocalyptic shooters released years ago, making the game seem open-world only makes the players draw comparisons. And it's not even an open-world, presenting uninteresting side quests and some rather boring driving. Earning extra cash is NOT an incentive to do the sidequests and explore because there's not a lot to spend on, it's not like there are thousands of guns or points of karma that is impacting the game. Guys at id say they think they're letting players decide, but your decisions to the simple "do the mission or no" question is solely based on how much fun you're having with the game. Do you want to play more Rage? Yes or no. And as stated above the shooting really wasn't that satisfying (not to mention some mediocre racing and vehicle combat) , so my answer would be "no".

It does LOOK good. You can tell id put in a lot of effort. Very high production values. But it doesn't play well as a FPS. And that alone is a reason to say Rage kinda sucks.
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By SpudBug

Put it on hard or nightmare. Normal got boring because there was no challenge and the enemies could barely kill you.

Hard and especially Nightmare requires you to be fast on the trigger and hit them the first time.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mandude

I thought the regenerating health made it a bit too easy. Probably my only complaint with it, though.

Other than that, I thought it was probably the most fun I've ever had with a shooter. Nearly every weapon is fun to use, and all of the quick use weapons are pretty badass. I'm glad that not everyone wants to make open world, RPG based shooters, (because those things are inherently good?). They stuck to their guns, and they did it well. I'm satisfied with the length. I rarely finish games, because they so often tire out the content, but this was well paced, I thought. The racing, minigames, and shooting sequences help keep it pretty varied.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By CosmicQueso

@TragicHeroX said:

I can't quite understand it... The game has all the makings of a great game: solid combat, smooth beautiful graphics, a post apocalyptic sci fi world. It's everything I love in games, and yet it's boring the fuck out of me. Maybe it's something wrong with me, but I burnt out on it quick. It's just missing that special something I guess.

I was thinking about this last night. For me, it's because I think there's no story there, I as a character have no clue why I'm there, and I have no choice in what I'm doing. Talk to dude->get assignmemnt->click "accept" because that's all I can do->run fetch/shoot dude quest->return to quest giver->get told to go somewhere else->repeat.

The game has no soul. I look at it and see a design document with the flowchart of tasks and the graphics tech. I'm not in another world. I'm just running down a checklist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.