Is Rage worth $19.99?

#1 Edited by NTM (7340 posts) -

I couldn't believe it, when I went with my family to the store, I went to the electronics section and Rage was in the bargain bin for $19.99. Do you think that was a good price to pay for such a game? I wanted it, but I don't currently have money, but I'm sure the price won't change. Do you think this is a good purchase, or would you say no? Spend a little more cash and buy another game. Currently, there are some other games that are at $30.99, like Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, and a few more that I'd like to buy. Anyways, just wondering.

#2 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@NTM:

I think so. I really enjoyed it. The ending sucks but other then that it was fun.

#3 Posted by dopplerganger (80 posts) -

Yeah I would definitely check it out if you can get it that cheap.

#4 Posted by evildeadron (830 posts) -

Solid shooter, worth that price for sure

#5 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4719 posts) -

The first half of the game is decent. The desert environment is really cool and hub world has a good atmosphere. Everything after the hospital is utter shit though. I'd say put that $19.99 towards a better game.

#6 Posted by me3639 (1753 posts) -

It looked great and i thought the AI and combat were a lot of fun. Super easy game even on the hardest difficulty and a no brainer for $20.

#7 Posted by therabidfrog (349 posts) -

It's a somewhat old school first person shooter. The driving stinks and to be honest so do most things outside of the gun play. The shooting is great and the levels are cleverly designed but for a shooter you spend far too much time engaged in boring side activities. I think 19.99 is a decent price, but still a bit of a stretch. I bought it brand new and traded it in before I finished it. You can get one month on Gamefly for like 8 bucks and just rent it and cancel your account before a months up if you don't like the service.

To add to that the multiplayer is excellent. It's just the shooting portions of the main game with tiny self contained stories. How much you enjoy that will depend on who you get paired with but you can extend the life of the game a bit playing through that. After about 15 or so hours in the main game I spent more time doing that than anything else.

So to answer direct. Knowing what I know I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for it.

#8 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

It is a great game.

#9 Posted by xXxLYNCHxXx (162 posts) -

Hell yeah. I didn't pick it up when it came out... 'cause the holiday release schedule is stupid. I played it through about a month ago. So far it my 2012: 2011 GOTY. In all seriousness, I was very surprised. I really liked their style of open world. It was a smaller more dense type of world. I liked that.

#10 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4719 posts) -

@xXxLYNCHxXx said:

Hell yeah. I didn't pick it up when it came out... 'cause the holiday release schedule is stupid. I played it through about a month ago. So far it my 2012: 2011 GOTY. In all seriousness, I was very surprised. I really liked their style of open world. It was a smaller more dense type of world. I liked that.

by dense you mean it was designed by thick-headed retards, yes?

There was nothing to do in Rage. Nothing. All of that beautifully hand-crafted animation on NPCs was utterly wasted. It was garish to see all of the pretty visuals wasted on what is by all accounts an utter husk of an open world looter-shooter. Oh, and let's not forget the broken promises of "loot" and "crafting" and "level ups" that id was throwing around before the game's release. When you throw terms like that around, it gives people a certain impression. Rage was not a good game. I mean hell, they even managed to fuck up the shotgun.

How do you fuck up a shotgun in an id game?

I was a big believer in Rage pre-release, but man, it's such an utter piece of shit it astounds me people actually like it.

#11 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

Nope. Just wait for Doom 4, Rage was just a tech demo.

#12 Posted by therabidfrog (349 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

That is not unfair.

#13 Posted by believer258 (11802 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@xXxLYNCHxXx said:

There was nothing to do in Rage. Nothing. All of that beautifully hand-crafted animation on NPCs was utterly wasted. It was garish to see all of the pretty visuals wasted on what is by all accounts an utter husk of an open world looter-shooter. Oh, and let's not forget the broken promises of "loot" and "crafting" and "level ups" that id was throwing around before the game's release. When you throw terms like that around, it gives people a certain impression. Rage was not a good game. I mean hell, they even managed to fuck up the shotgun.

I was a big believer in Rage pre-release, but man, it's such an utter piece of shit it astounds me people actually like it.

Maybe I liked it because my expectations weren't astronomically high?

Anyway

I did play it, and I beat it twice. It definitely isn't a bad game, but parts of it do feel a bit hollow. You eventually realize that the game is essentially a linear shooter where you gather quests - think Borderlands only with better graphics and less numbers. In fact, the game is quite comparable to Borderlands in many ways. Driving, desert environment, getting and turning in quests, etc.

It should be noted that the game, even on the hardest difficulty, is really easy, and you can see spots where the game could have been much bigger than it currently is. In some places, you could almost say that it's more tech demo than game (Dude! Look at these animations! And these graphics on consoles! And 60 effing frames per second!") but that doesn't make it not fun, and I for one think that $20 is well worth it.

#14 Posted by Getz (2997 posts) -

Toadally.

#15 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I paid 15 and felt ripped off. You shoot stuff. The animations look nice.

And that's pretty much it.

#16 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4719 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@xXxLYNCHxXx said:

Anyway

I did play it, and I beat it twice. It definitely isn't a bad game, but parts of it do feel a bit hollow. You eventually realize that the game is essentially a linear shooter where you gather quests - think Borderlands only with better graphics and less numbers. In fact, the game is quite comparable to Borderlands in many ways. Driving, desert environment, getting and turning in quests, etc.

It should be noted that the game, even on the hardest difficulty, is really easy, and you can see spots where the game could have been much bigger than it currently is. In some places, you could almost say that it's more tech demo than game (Dude! Look at these animations! And these graphics on consoles! And 60 effing frames per second!") but that doesn't make it not fun, and I for one think that $20 is well worth it.

Here's the thing about the comparison between Borderlands and Rage - Borderlands did everything better. It had the loot, it had the leveling and class mechanics down pat, and it had one intangible quality that Rage doesn't - personality. Despite most of Borderlands's environments being barren, the world it inhabited had atmosphere and personality. It was also a goofy game, and distractions like luchador midgets jumping out of lockers and hurling insults while they try to kill you (one of my personal favourites) can go a long way to making the world fun to explore and quest in. Oh, and it had fantastic co-op.

Rage has a boring single-player campaign with an empty world with no personality and no reason for existing. There were way more than a handful of moments where you can see the game Rage was supposed to be, and that's probably the most frustrating thing about it. That and the sluggish controls. The delay on ADS in Rage was appalling. You'd think the game ran at 20fps, not 60.

#17 Posted by Amukasa (53 posts) -

Yes

#18 Posted by believer258 (11802 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@believer258 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@xXxLYNCHxXx said:

Anyway

Here's the thing about the comparison between Borderlands and Rage - Borderlands did everything better. It had the loot, it had the leveling and class mechanics down pat, and it had one intangible quality that Rage doesn't - personality. Despite most of Borderlands's environments being barren, the world it inhabited had atmosphere and personality. It was also a goofy game, and distractions like luchador midgets jumping out of lockers and hurling insults while they try to kill you (one of my personal favourites) can go a long way to making the world fun to explore and quest in. Oh, and it had fantastic co-op.

Rage has a boring single-player campaign with an empty world with no personality and no reason for existing. There were way more than a handful of moments where you can see the game Rage was supposed to be, and that's probably the most frustrating thing about it. That and the sluggish controls. The delay on ADS in Rage was appalling. You'd think the game ran at 20fps, not 60.

We're going to agree to disagree here. I think the game is good-not-great and worth $20, you think it's a stinking pile of shit and worth a toss into the landfill.

#19 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@xXxLYNCHxXx said:

I have to utterly agree with this. Rage was awful. I say this as a long time FPS player with an Nvidia GTX 475 equippped PC. It ran fine on my system maxed out (even with the added ini tweaks) and it bored me so much that I couldn't be bothered to finish it. I understand that id wants to branch out but this is one limb too far.

#20 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

go for it it's a solid game.

#21 Edited by toki67 (14 posts) -

I thought it was a beautiful game, it ran great on my laptop, and the guns were good even though there weren't a lot of them. The story was shit, but I had lots of fun shooting guys for ~12 hours. Totally worth it IMO

#22 Posted by eagles_band (159 posts) -

I got it for free, and played it for about 15 minutes last year, haven't played it since. Just a dull and boring game.

#23 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

Nah, I'll wait for when it hits 10 bucks.

#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Yeah, it was worth full price so I'd say it's worth 20 bucks. Not the best game in the world, but it's a solid shooter. It'll fill the gap until more games drop anyway.

#25 Posted by bybeach (4792 posts) -

@therabidfrog said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

That is not unfair.

I am going to say yes, but this view is to be respected. I hope. It was amazing how rage failed when it did many things right. And that ending..just giving you the game.

#26 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2364 posts) -

Not my cup of tea. It looks and runs beautifully, but the gameplay was boring and didn't catch my interest.

#27 Posted by benspyda (2033 posts) -

I bought it for $50 when it cam out, and played about 3 hours. I do want to get back to it but the game is so bland.

#28 Posted by drGiggless (222 posts) -

HELL NO. you can get really good older games for $20. like borderlands GOTY edition.

#29 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Fro shore

#30 Posted by Korwin (2847 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@xXxLYNCHxXx said:

I have to utterly agree with this. Rage was awful. I say this as a long time FPS player with an Nvidia GTX 475 equippped PC. It ran fine on my system maxed out (even with the added ini tweaks) and it bored me so much that I couldn't be bothered to finish it. I understand that id wants to branch out but this is one limb too far.

Word. Played about an hour of it and haven't been back since. It may have been mechanically sound but the experience was just hollow.

#31 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

If this game didn't have such high expectations set by coming from the guys that made Doom, most people wouldn't be so up in arms i believe. That's not to say the game isn't without it's flaws.

It's a very solid FPS shooter. If you take it as that, especially at $20, it's hard to be disappointed. 

#32 Posted by drGiggless (222 posts) -

expectations have nothing to do with it now. this is just a bad game. there are much, much better games that can be bought for $20 or less.

#33 Posted by bobafettjm (1459 posts) -

I think it was worth it. I just bought the anarchy edition (I think that is what it is called) just the other day for $20. I am not super far into it but I am having fun.

#34 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

Much worse games you could spend 20 bones on. I say go for it.

#35 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

I wish I had paid that. I don't care if it is sixty frames per second, all sixty of them were brown. I have been been an ID fan since the Early 90's but Rage seemed like a tech demo so sell an engine, it was all mechanical and had no 'soul'. I'll buy anything with the name Carmack on it, but he's an engine guy and it shows, he really needs better communication with his art and script department.

Also if you had told 16 year old me religiously playing Doom that years later ID would make a game where the Sniper rifle was the most useful weapon in the game and the Shotgun is practically useless, I'd have laughed in your face.

#36 Posted by bonafide (35 posts) -

As opposed to paying sixty bucks for it fresh if you're just looking to give it a shot? I'm still on the fence about Rage but I say go for it.

#37 Posted by L1GHTN1N (448 posts) -

$20 is a steal for Rage. I paid $35? during one of the early Steam sales and put about 15 hours into it and called it done, would have done it again. The first half of the game is pretty awesome if you go in knowing what to expect and your standards aren't too high, and I really liked the look and feel of the game. It's just super repetitive and too long for it's own good (I only got a little over half way through it, but I also did EVERY side quest up to that point).

Also it has a pretty damn good shotgun, and I love a game with a good shotgun.

#38 Posted by SpydrMrphy (88 posts) -

Yes, It's a fun romp. If your looking for a solid FPS it's worth playing through at least once.

#39 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Definitely, great game. Really solid shooting.

#40 Posted by therabidfrog (349 posts) -

@hbkdx12 said:

If this game didn't have such high expectations set by coming from the guys that made Doom, most people wouldn't be so up in arms i believe. That's not to say the game isn't without it's flaws. It's a very solid FPS shooter. If you take it as that, especially at $20, it's hard to be disappointed.

I think agree to a point. On the other hand if it had been any other company the game probably would have been looked at as a mediocre first person shooter rather than a major disappointment. The only thing the game did well was the shooting and unfortunately that's what you did the least of. Though I would mention if you do end up buying a new copy don't use the codes for the special armor. It makes the game easier than it should be.

#41 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I enjoyed it, despite piss poor optimization for AMD cards. The console versions are pretty solid, I heard. The 360 version more so than the PS3 one. Nvidia users should get great results.

#42 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

For $20? Definitely.

#43 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

There was nothing to do in Rage. Nothing. All of that beautifully hand-crafted animation on NPCs was utterly wasted. It was garish to see all of the pretty visuals wasted on what is by all accounts an utter husk of an open world looter-shooter. Oh, and let's not forget the broken promises of "loot" and "crafting" and "level ups" that id was throwing around before the game's release. When you throw terms like that around, it gives people a certain impression.

There was nothing to do in Rage? I never understand this sentiment. Rage is a mission-based shooter that is set in a hub world. It has item building and stuff to collect that you can sell to buy mission/weapon-based upgrades and ammunition. Id Software makes a very specific kind of game. I find it so preposterous, that I actually find it hilarious when people draw parallels between Borderlands and Rage, and get upset that Rage isn't Borderlands. Rage is not meant and was never meant to be a loot-based, open-world shooter. That was never Rage's claim.

You had the wrong expectations. That isn't Rage's fault. It is yours.

#44 Edited by NTM (7340 posts) -

Alright, before I read on with people's opinions of the game, I'll just go ahead and say my brother had bought the game since he was buying another game already. I kind of forgot about this thread until now. As for people that are talking about expectations, my only expectations are to be surprised, either it be a good way or bad.

#45 Posted by Socialone (202 posts) -

Ah, some of you aren't familiar with the wonders of Steam, we have deals like that every 3 days. The downside being that I bought RAGE for 15$ two months ago and never played it, along with about 20 of similarly great titles.

#46 Posted by Zippedbinders (985 posts) -

I picked it up for $20, I've been enjoying it.

#47 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

Buy Borderlands instead if you haven't already. Its probably the same price.

#48 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

I'm in agreement with others about the ending being excessively lackluster, once you get past the slightly floaty controls for the driving you should have a fun time with the shooting sections. Should be able to burn through it quickly as it's rather linear & got some good things going on it with the weapon menus and crafting system.

#49 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Totally worth it if all you want is a good shooter. If you get on PS3 the texture pop thing can be more of an issue, it was with me. The story is inconsequential, the driving sucks in my opinion, the crafting is a farce(it's basically a vendor) but the shooting is fun. The enemies stagger and stuff when you hit them and it feels like you're actually doing damage to them. 20 is the right price, I think.

#50 Posted by Kenshinfan818 (60 posts) -

as a giant fan of Doom 3 I enjoyed it. I want to play more into it because I became obsessed with L.A Noire instead of rage. I'll get a little bit more into it eventually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.