Looting in Rage

#1 Posted by zichster (27 posts) -

I can't understand why they would design it where you have to have the cross hairs on something to loot it. There is so much to loot in this game and it's not like you won't grab something so why not make it based on proximity? Anyone else finding this annoying? The only reason I can think of is that they want you to work to find loot, finding it isn't the hard part though it's picking the damn stuff up!

#2 Posted by SLUSHiNaToR (156 posts) -

I've had no problem with picking up loot.. actually, it is the same for every game that you run around in and pick up loot. except, in rage, if there are multiple items on a table, it picks up all the items.

#3 Posted by zeppelinracer (47 posts) -

Seeing as how there is no limit for your inventory, proximity makes more sense based on that. Crosshair looting though does give one the feeling of more involvement, at least to me. Proximity is kind of there, for when you aim at one thing in a big pile of loot, you just pick everything up.

#4 Posted by zichster (27 posts) -

I guess on a PC I wouldn't care, but I'm playing on PS3 and it seems cumbersome. I have people shooting at me and I'm looking at the ground half the time.

#5 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Shoot them, loot afterward. Problem solved.

It does seem kind of ridiculous when you don't have a limit on how much stuff you can carry, though. The only thing it adds is sometimes you'll miss something. But that something is usually junk or crafting stuff for a schematic you don't have, so who cares.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@zichster said:

I guess on a PC I wouldn't care, but I'm playing on PS3 and it seems cumbersome. I have people shooting at me and I'm looking at the ground half the time.

Dont loot wile people are alive. Thats a easy fix..
#7 Posted by zichster (27 posts) -
Dont loot wile people are alive. Thats a easy fix..

I usually do that, this time I was running out of ammo.

#8 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

I would not like it if everything picked up automatically. Manual looting maintains a sense of interaction with things in the game world that feels meaningful to me in a game like Rage. It also means you're paying more attention to what you're picking up than if it was all automatic, and having a knowledge of what you're accumulating is always useful.

#9 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

"autoloot" should be an option in any game with loot. "Hardcore" people can turn it off just like they avoid using quick travel. But the option should be there. 2011 and everything.

#10 Posted by JTB123 (1045 posts) -

Can't say I had any trouble with it, I think I get way to much please out of simply running up to a body or something and hammering the A button to pick up everything. It's one of the things I loved so much about Bioshock, maybe I'm just weird... :/

#11 Posted by BBQBram (2165 posts) -

@JTB123: Nope, I loved that in BioShock as well, and I'm glad Rage is reminding me of it.

#12 Posted by Jams (2956 posts) -

I don't have a problem with the looking on Rage PC, but I can see how it would be a problem with a controller. Especially if you're not quite used to aiming with one.

#13 Posted by Crash_Happy (637 posts) -

I can't say I even noticed really. The controller defaults to really low sensitivity though so maybe that's your issue?

#14 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1169 posts) -
@Jams said:
I don't have a problem with the looking on Rage PC, but I can see how it would be a problem with a controller. Especially if you're not quite used to aiming with one.
If your not very good at aiming with a controller I'm pretty sure looting is the least of you problems in Rage :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.