Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

Online pass cuts off SINGLE PLAYER CONTENT!

• 93 results
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#51  Edited By Rhaknar

entitlement is a fun word

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Marz
    @CrazyChris said:

@blacklabeldomm said:

@Marz said:
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    Hold the fuck up....so people who don't connect their xbox to the internet (Yeah they exist...) will not be able to access certain areas? Seems a bit unfair, they also paid 60 dollars.
    To access the areas you need to download the content, it's basically DLC that's free when you buy the game but not integral to the single player game. Rage isn't the first game to do this.
    I have been gravely mislead. Bulletstorm did this as well....I don't see the point of the article then.

Yet another attempt to get people on the Interwebs to grab their torches and pitchforks for yet another mindless witch hunt. Drama brings page views!

Rage the game itself doesn't do anything worse than what Mass Effect 2 did with the Cerberus Network, didn't really see an outrage towards that game.   The only controversy this article has is Tim Willits mentioning that he sorta agrees with the methods Blizzard and Ubisoft have in place for always online DRM, but doesn't really have anything to do with Rage itself other than cutting off the free DLC from used games. 
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#53  Edited By alistercat

My biggest problem with this has always been it makes gaming transient, temporary, or in the moment. When you revisit a classic film, you aren't locked out of any scenes because you didn't buy a cinema ticket for the original release. It prevents games from having a strong history in this period. How can we go back to games from this time when they are out of print, the servers for authentication are offline and the codes no longer work. The game no longer holds the timeless relevance that a game you can just pick up and play would.

SockLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By SockLobster

Don't even know if it's a good game yet so who gives a fuck. 

You people thinking that guy was being genuine are autistic or something because it was pretty clearly sarcasm.

Thanks, 

SockLobster~

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By DrLove
    @CrazyChris said:

@blacklabeldomm said:

@Marz said:
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    Hold the fuck up....so people who don't connect their xbox to the internet (Yeah they exist...) will not be able to access certain areas? Seems a bit unfair, they also paid 60 dollars.
    To access the areas you need to download the content, it's basically DLC that's free when you buy the game but not integral to the single player game. Rage isn't the first game to do this.
    I have been gravely mislead. Bulletstorm did this as well....I don't see the point of the article then.

Yet another attempt to get people on the Interwebs to grab their torches and pitchforks for yet another mindless witch hunt. Drama brings page views!

Bulletstorm used the online pass for multi player content, not single player.  They (RAGE director)  said that the content they are blocking off is not that big and ppl might miss it anyway.. so what is the point of cutting for used games?  There are about 55 million 360's 20 million of those arent connected online at all.  Why punish those people.  This is not DLC because there is no content you are downloading, its just an unlock for content you have already purchased..
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SlashDance

Ok, it's a business, and they don't get money on used games bla bla bla. But are games really endangered buy the used games market though ? They've been doing fine so far...

They're doing it because only they can, because no one seems to care, and because John Carmack needs more money to build rockets.

And what if I want to borrow the game from a friend who bought it new ? Did that become a crime too ?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Marz
    @DrLove:  it's called "The Wasteland Sewers DLC" , sounds like DLC to me.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#58  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @DrLove said:
    @CrazyChris said:

@blacklabeldomm said:

@Marz said:
    @blacklabeldomm said:

Bulletstorm used the online pass for multi player content, not single player.  They (RAGE director)  said that the content they are blocking off is not that big and ppl might miss it anyway.. so what is the point of cutting for used games?  There are about 55 million 360's 20 million of those arent connected online at all.  Why punish those people.  This is not DLC because there is no content you are downloading, its just an unlock for content you have already purchased..
    Those extra echo maps were singleplayer only. Mass Effect 2 did this as well. This type of deal (even for stuff like mass effect) is counter-intuitive because instead of promoting new game sales it promotes used game sales. If you have an offline console and see " extra maps n shit" on the $59.99 box and then see the same game used at $29.99, you'll go for the cheaper one because you know you'll never play the extra shit anyway. 

I hear title updates come directly on the discs now so that people don't have to use the blades on the dashboard if they aren't connected to the internet. Maybe if the extra stuff came in that fashion instead of being codes for the marketplace it might be better to ward off used game sales.
    DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By DrLove
    @Marz said:
    @CrazyChris said:

@blacklabeldomm said:

@Marz said:
    @blacklabeldomm said:

Rage the game itself doesn't do anything worse than what Mass Effect 2 did with the Cerberus Network, didn't really see an outrage towards that game.   The only controversy this article has is Tim Willits mentioning that he sorta agrees with the methods Blizzard and Ubisoft have in place for always online DRM, but doesn't really have anything to do with Rage itself other than cutting off the free DLC from used games. 
    I could be wrong and someone please correct me if I am, but I didnt think the Cerberus Network locked off content that was already there..
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Doctorchimp

Good. People can buy used games and companies can do what they can to mitigate that.

If you only want to buy this game used then the company doesn't really have to make favors for you now do they?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Ertard said:

It's completely rational since used games is as big of a problem as piracy to the industry. Used game or pirated copy = no money for the publisher and developer. PC gamers have been dealing with bullshit DRM for years because we're all crooks apparently, but the whole industry of used games, where a retailer seriously promotes fucking over publishers and taking all the cash, has been let go for some reason. That to me is weird. Of course it's a complete lie to say you like always on DRM because games will be updated, herp derp, but whatever, I don't mind devs wanting control over their product and protecting dat monay.

This is just going to get more and more common, until we finally hit that breaking point were everything is digital only. I hope it's soon (5 years, come on America, build better Internets, we're waiting), since it should drive down prices a little bit (maybe not) and ensure money goes in the right hands, as well as make piracy harder, ensuring that the industry grows and that we get better games. Hopefully at that point we can also be free from all of this pre-order bullshit from 14 different retailers, and get a complete game, straight from the publisher, or even better, the developer.

See I'd go as far to say that used game sales are worse than piracy because the majority of people who pirate games wouldn't buy it to begin with, but the guy that just wants 5 or 10 dollars off the game could probably be coerced into giving the developer as oppose to just paying Gamestop for work they didn't do.
    DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By DrLove
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    Maybe if the extra stuff came in that fashion instead of being codes for the marketplace it might be better to ward off used game sales.  

ya that would make more sense... When it comes to online multi player content I can understand these types of things..  As silly as most pre order bonus' are , they are a much better/ consumer friendly way to promote new game sales.  Just keep online pass stuff away from single player parts of games and ill be happy. and I didnt think  Cerberus Network locked off content that was already there.. could be wrong about that.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By emem

@DrLove: Well, the article says that you have to download the content to be able to enter these hatches, but you don't even have to explore the inside to finish the game (if you want to do that you have to pay an extra 10$ with a used copy), so.. that's more than fair, imho.

@Doctorchimp said:

@Ertard said:

It's completely rational since used games is as big of a problem as piracy to the industry. Used game or pirated copy = no money for the publisher and developer. PC gamers have been dealing with bullshit DRM for years because we're all crooks apparently, but the whole industry of used games, where a retailer seriously promotes fucking over publishers and taking all the cash, has been let go for some reason. That to me is weird. Of course it's a complete lie to say you like always on DRM because games will be updated, herp derp, but whatever, I don't mind devs wanting control over their product and protecting dat monay.

This is just going to get more and more common, until we finally hit that breaking point were everything is digital only. I hope it's soon (5 years, come on America, build better Internets, we're waiting), since it should drive down prices a little bit (maybe not) and ensure money goes in the right hands, as well as make piracy harder, ensuring that the industry grows and that we get better games. Hopefully at that point we can also be free from all of this pre-order bullshit from 14 different retailers, and get a complete game, straight from the publisher, or even better, the developer.

See I'd go as far to say that used game sales are worse than piracy because the majority of people who pirate games wouldn't buy it to begin with, but the guy that just wants 5 or 10 dollars off the game could probably be coerced into giving the developer as oppose to just paying Gamestop for work they didn't do.

I agree that both "ways" of getting games are extremely bad for publishers and developers, but buying used games is not illegal, piracy is. That's where you have to draw the line when talking about it, even if you are probably right about it.

As for the "buying used games" part: I also want it to go away, but as long as they keep selling retail copies there should be a way to sell or just give them to someone else after a few years (when they are no longer worth anything). Somebody just recently offered me 40 Euros for the boxed version of Sam & Max: Hit the Road (which I can't install anymore, because I no longer own a working floppy drive) and I thought it was the coolest thing.. people collecting old retail versions of games out of nostalgia and the fact that they would still be able to install and play them (if the disks still work, you never know.. they are pretty old).

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DrLove
    @emem said:

@DrLove: Well, the article says that you have to download the content to be able to enter these hatches, but you don't even have to explore the inside to finish the game (if you want to do that you have to pay an extra 10$ with a used copy), so.. that's more than fair, imho.

I hear that, but why not have the online pass effect the online part of the game?  Leave single player in peace lol.  I guess im just a grumpy old man..
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ShaggE

Locked off release day DLC is just fine, but I do worry about devs toeing the line further and further.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By emem

@DrLove said:

@emem said:

I hear that, but why not have the online pass effect the online part of the game? Leave single player in peace lol. I guess im just a grumpy old man..

Haha no, I think you are just overreacting.. it's an extremely fair deal that still costs them money. :)

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ikwal

Why do you care? Just buy it new and stop whining.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By Brendan

@ch13696 said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:
    @ch13696 said:
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    Remember, used games are the worst thing to ever happen to the game industry, and anyone who buys one should be ashamed of themselves. If you think differently, you're probably a pirate!
    Wow, then I must be a pirate. Used games have been around since games first came out. I suggest you deal with it. So, excuse me for trying to find games along the lines of my budget.
    Sarcasm! Learn it!
    Learn that the internet is not the best place to use sarcasm. Unless you specify that it's sarcasm.

No, you're just terrible. That was the most obvious sarcasm I have ever read without half a dozen winkey faces in it. I assume you don't interact with human beings very much.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69  Edited By Sander

What fucking garbage. Why not have the online pass for you know, ONLINE? Oh yeah, because nobody gives a shite about car combat and they fucking know it. So instead, they'll screw with the single player so that the people who don't have internet are fucked. Great move. No wonder they don't have the balls to take on Call of Duty.
    Fuck this game, will wait for the bargain bin.

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Winger
    @Sander said:
    What fucking garbage. Why not have the online pass for you know, ONLINE? Oh yeah, because nobody gives a shite about car combat and they fucking know it. So instead, they'll screw with the single player so that the people who don't have internet are fucked. Great move. No wonder they don't have the balls to take on Call of Duty. Fuck this game, will wait for the bargain bin.
    How old are you? If you can't afford internet then why the fuck are you buying 60 dollar games? 

Fuck off.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ch13696
    @Brendan said:

@ch13696 said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:
    @ch13696 said:
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    Remember, used games are the worst thing to ever happen to the game industry, and anyone who buys one should be ashamed of themselves. If you think differently, you're probably a pirate!
    Wow, then I must be a pirate. Used games have been around since games first came out. I suggest you deal with it. So, excuse me for trying to find games along the lines of my budget.
    Sarcasm! Learn it!
    Learn that the internet is not the best place to use sarcasm. Unless you specify that it's sarcasm.

No, you're just terrible. That was the most obvious sarcasm I have ever read without half a dozen winkey faces in it. I assume you don't interact with human beings very much.

Is there something I'm missing here? Am I supposed to interact with humans in text? Sorry for having a life outside of the internet,
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#72  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @ch13696 said:
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    @ch13696 said:
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    Remember, used games are the worst thing to ever happen to the game industry, and anyone who buys one should be ashamed of themselves.  If you think differently, you're probably a pirate!
    Sarcasm!  Learn it!
    The silliness of the comment could have been a hint.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Why not have a pass for a discount of future DLC or just a redemption code for DLC.  Why not have stuff like InFamous 2 and have early access to Betas.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Azteck

You know, I couldn't give a fuck about this, or I could, and I do. It's shitty, I'll give you that, and I don't like it, but the fact that they're still pushing for Always-On DRM is bullshit. Complete, utter bullshit.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ch13696
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    @ch13696 said:
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    @ch13696 said:
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    Remember, used games are the worst thing to ever happen to the game industry, and anyone who buys one should be ashamed of themselves.  If you think differently, you're probably a pirate!
    Sarcasm!  Learn it!
    The silliness of the comment could have been a hint.
    Hhhmmm... good point. Maybe I'm getting too old for this.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#76  Edited By toowalrus

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage!

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Sander
    @Winger said:
    @Sander said:
    What fucking garbage. Why not have the online pass for you know, ONLINE? Oh yeah, because nobody gives a shite about car combat and they fucking know it. So instead, they'll screw with the single player so that the people who don't have internet are fucked. Great move. No wonder they don't have the balls to take on Call of Duty. Fuck this game, will wait for the bargain bin.
    How old are you? If you can't afford internet then why the fuck are you buying 60 dollar games?  Fuck off.
    What's your IQ? Is it so low that you find it impossible to think of even one single scenario where a person who can afford the internet and $60 games but wouldn't want to connect to the internet with their console?
    Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Strife777

Can't believe we still have to argue about this.

I kind of can't believe people say they buy games used because they don't have money, when most people buy their games at GameStop where it's only 5$ less. 5$ is nothing.

Also, like DoctorChimp mentionned, when you buy a game used, you don't give a single dollar to the publisher or developper. So why would they give you any favors, since to them, you're basically getting their product for free.

Anyway, at this point, I kind of don't care. I always buy my stuff brand new, so not of that applies to me.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By CL60
    ARGH!!! NOW I HAVE TO GIVE MONEY TO THE DEVELOPERS!!! 
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

It's not a very important part of the game. As far as I know it's basically a way to travel a little faster but you have to fight through the place or something. No idea, just going off little tidbits I caught and I plan on getting it new so I can support id so I haven't looked into it, but yeah.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#81  Edited By beard_of_zeus

@AlisterCat said:

My biggest problem with this has always been it makes gaming transient, temporary, or in the moment. When you revisit a classic film, you aren't locked out of any scenes because you didn't buy a cinema ticket for the original release. It prevents games from having a strong history in this period. How can we go back to games from this time when they are out of print, the servers for authentication are offline and the codes no longer work. The game no longer holds the timeless relevance that a game you can just pick up and play would.

I'm with you there. It's a shame that art (excuse the phrasing, I just felt it was the most succinct term to use) has been sacrificed in the name of business. All the games from this era will be bits and pieces of their former selves come the next decade or so, rather than a complete experience that you can revisit at any time. Well, not all of them, I guess, but a large majority of the big-budget, marquee titles. At least there are still some publishers like Atlus that don't pull any of this shit.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Grissefar

Well big whoop. I'm happy they do think and I think they should go further anyway, so stop whining or go make a petition or something. You know, the kind that worked so well when internet babies raged against MW2.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By captain_clayman

K well, i'm buying this on PC (if i even get it).  You can't really buy PC games used, now can you?"

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By scarace360

Good.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By scarace360
    @captain_clayman said:
    K well, i'm buying this on PC (if i even get it).  You can't really buy PC games used, now can you?"
    Not yet but wait until steam starts selling used pc games.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Dear Games Industry, stop delaying and kill physical media now. All of these barriers and hurdles aren't fooling anyone.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Seedofpower

@SeriouslyNow said:

Dear Games Industry, stop delaying and kill physical media now. All of these barriers and hurdles aren't fooling anyone.

At least none of us.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Seems to me like this is exactly how you promote new sales without hurting used sales. 
    you offer content that isn't key to the story or game content that new purchases could miss or totally ignore and have a grand time with the game.. 
    zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By zaglis
    @Vexed said:
    But I want to play the whole game and not pay them a dime for it!  How dare they!  Seriously guys?  Still complaining about this?
    What a fucking shitty post.

I suppose there will always be someone who will bend over and take it no matter how hard they are screwed and ripped off.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#90  Edited By Yanngc33

Mass effect 2 did the same thing, it's nothing new...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By penguindust

Well, they can't use the excuse that the extra charge is to pay for server maintenance.  This is basically blackmail now.  If you want to play the full single-player game, buy it new other wise, portions of the game will be cut out.  I really expect that sooner than later we'll see this idea expand to other games.  Let's see, how about Skyrim where you can't play as the non-human races unless you buy it new, or maybe a new Halo that doesn't allow you to play on higher difficulties unless it's a full price purchase, or maybe there's no challenge tower in a Mortal Kombat sequel unless you pay full retail?  Game companies are going to abuse this power to limit the experience because too many of us will accept it.  I wonder what happens down the road when the game is only available through used channels.  It would be funny to pay more for the "online pass" than the game itself.  What's also funny is that paying full price adds a restriction that you have to be online all the time to play while buying used removes that barrier.   It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Jams

Okay Veruca Salt, then buy the game new when it goes on sale. What are you going to do, vote with your wallet by not buying their games anymore? They're not going to notice a difference because you only bought their games used and the devs don't see any of that money anyways.

I'm perfectly content with buying games new and just buying games used when the stop producing discs for the game. Or if a game seems to cost too much, I'll just wait until the price drops.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#93  Edited By GreggD

@Winger said:

@Sander said:
    How old are you? If you can't afford internet then why the fuck are you buying 60 dollar games? Fuck off.

He's got a Che Guevara avatar, of course he's still in high school.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Sander

Of course you're wrong, as are your moronic assertions.
     Back to the matter at hand and to add to what others have already said: The paying customer is being hassled and inconvenienced while the pirate can get the game and all content(including all retailer exclusive bonuses) all for free and get it early. The pirates laugh at us and this is the side some people are taking, really?
    In an effort to combat used game sales, more+more players turn to piracy and less+less they are blamed for doing so. And then for multiplayer games, it's just a very short shuffle to enable aimbots, wall clipping etc to ruin it for the legit gamer.
    May as well go back to gaming on the PC, at least gamers on there can host their own servers and are better able to weed out cheaters than Microsoft or Sony.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Rappelsiini: So you can download your game again after ninjas enter your home, eject the disk, and snap it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.