RAGE on Breaking Bad 8/28.

#1 Edited by pweidman (2362 posts) -

Jesse playing it for a few minutes w/some PSMove pistol it looked like at the beginning of the episode tonight. He was standing like 10 feet from a big ass tv, and blasting the mutants. Pretty cool PR by ID showing off their game on such an incredible show. Haven't found a youtube of the scene yet. Post it up any duders who do though.

EDIT:

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/breaking-bad-rage-scene

(Thanks to MarioBoza)

#2 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -

So it didn't appear as if the Move pistol hurt the gameplay?

#3 Edited by mikeeegeee (1575 posts) -

I saw it, too. Good PR indeed, but it seemed like a lazy introduction to an episode of a show that routinely has captivating and novel introductions.

I mean, the punch line is when his cursor hovers over "Quit" and then he instead clicks "Retry." Didn't do much for me.

Frankly, I'm beginning to get cynical about Breaking Bad. It's beginning to seem far less plausible than it had been before. I still, however, find solace in Hank's scenes. Over the span of three and a half seasons, I've gone from rooting for Walt to hating him and hoping that Hank comes out on top.

#4 Posted by pweidman (2362 posts) -

@Twitchey said:

Didn't appear to. He was blowing away quite a few, and looking all angry like he does, the tortured soul. He did get a death screen at the end though.

#5 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -
@pweidman: Do they really play the game, though? Always when I see someone playing a game on a show or in a movie it just reeks of fake. Like they're just following along with a clip of the game.
#6 Posted by pweidman (2362 posts) -

@Titus said:

@pweidman: Do they really play the game, though? Always when I see someone playing a game on a show or in a movie it just reeks of fake. Like they're just following along with a clip of the game.

If it was faked they did a great job. Seemed like he was really playing to me, especially the way it was shot.

#7 Posted by mikeeegeee (1575 posts) -
@Titus said:
I'm sure that's exactly what it was. The game isn't released, I'm sure he was pantomiming to a pre-made clip.
#8 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

It was all contextual to the story of Jesse and his struggle to recover from his drug addiction and willingness to submit once again and kill if need be.

Also, breaking bad is on basic cable, it may be one of the best shows on TV but they need to pay the bills, with Dennys, Fed Ex, Dodge and the color purple

#9 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -
@mikeeegeee said:
@Titus said:
I'm sure that's exactly what it was. The game isn't released, I'm sure he was pantomiming to a pre-made clip.
Yeah, so we don't actually know if it's any good with the Move? Maybe it's just because he's a good actor, huh!
#10 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

@Twitchey said:

QL EX with the cast of Breaking Bad, get on it Whiskey Media!

#11 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -
@pweidman said:

@Twitchey said:

Didn't appear to. He was blowing away quite a few, and looking all angry like he does, the tortured soul. He did get a death screen at the end though.

Well maybe the demo was on the easiest setting and spikes to the hardest near the end. I will reserve my final judgement until I see some more Move gameplay.
#12 Posted by Aegon (5831 posts) -
#13 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@Titus said:

Usually a fake clip where they're button presses never match up and the sounds you hear aren't even from the game, and usually the clips in the game are from completely different parts. IE: The person may have a really low score in one level, then in the next camera cut the score and level will be something completely different.

#14 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3504 posts) -

I'm more concerned about how some people might see how Jesse was making a connection between playing the game and when he commited the murder. It made me think about Dr. Phil's show on video game addiction and how negative he made gaming look. Left a bad taste in my mouth for him and his show. Anyways, I do worry whenever games get coverage in any negative scene or context.

#15 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

@Snapstacle said:

@Twitchey said:

QL EX with the cast of Breaking Bad, get on it Whiskey Media!

Breaking Brad.

#16 Posted by MarioBoza (46 posts) -
http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/breaking-bad-rage-scene
  heres a link of the scene in question
#17 Posted by ghostchant (125 posts) -

I'm so pissed Jessie Pinkman player Rage before me

#18 Posted by Krushr (54 posts) -

@Dany said:

Also, breaking bad is on basic cable, it may be one of the best shows on TV but they need to pay the bills, with Dennys, Fed Ex, Dodge and the color purple

It's more the fact that the show is produced by Sony than that. Community, which is also produced by Sony, did the same thing with Mod Nation Racers in it's first season.

#19 Posted by LittleBigJono (252 posts) -

Putting Rage's appearance aside... Yay for Hank starting to walk again :) And Mike's ear bandage of course

#20 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1741 posts) -

I have to wonder if id was happy with that product placement.

Rage: Play it in your filthy drug den, and relive that time you shot a man in the forehead!

#21 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

I guess season 4 takes place sometime after October 4th.

#22 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

On Youtube

#23 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@SpunkyHePanda said:

Rage: Play it in your filthy drug den, and relive that time you shot a man in the forehead!

These were my thoughts exactly.
I also wonder just how much they must've paid for that...
#24 Posted by Slique (132 posts) -

I thought it was a bit in-your-face at first, but it does make for a neat method of contextual product placement. I doubt the game was being played in real time though, the movement seemed slightly off to me.

#25 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3504 posts) -

@SpunkyHePanda said:

There was a developer interview in which someone from id said they were friends with the Breaking Bad crew (I'm assuming production crew) and we should "keep an eye on episodes of the new season of Breaking Bad." I'll see if I can find the interview.

#26 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1741 posts) -

@Origina1Penguin said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

There was a developer interview in which someone from id said they were friends with the Breaking Bad crew (I'm assuming production crew) and we should "keep an eye on episodes of the new season of Breaking Bad." I'll see if I can find the interview.

Oh, I don't doubt they willingly paid to have the game featured on the show. I'm just wondering if they were aware of the context.

#27 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

Yeah, I remember that interview, too. Apparently, Rage has a few Breaking Bad easter eggs in it. 

All I know is that from watching this episode my final conclusion is that Hank is a motherfucking badass. I'm rooting for him all the way.
#28 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3504 posts) -

I'm a bit new to the show. Can someone tell me why Hank hates his wife so much?

#29 Posted by Buckwatters (141 posts) -

I'm not as up to date with Rage as I probably should be, but did they ever confirm that it supports Move?

#30 Edited by ZombiePie (5753 posts) -

It was dumb, but hot damn if the shit is going to hit the fan on Breaking Bad.

#31 Edited by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

I saw it too.  This looked like an on rails shooter.  Does rage have an on rails shooter mode that works with a light gun?  It was nice to see a game I want get some tv time in a show I watch.  There was more advertising of rage in episode 8 as well.  Just a shot of the retry/quit menu on Jessie's tv while him and walt are talking.  Personally, I like it.  I also liked the l4d reference at the beginning of the season.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.