Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

Rage PC

• 152 results
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Bocam

@BeachThunder:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

(RAM) 8.00 GB

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 with latest drivers installed

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Sin4profit

@benjaebe said:

@Rhaknar said:

so 7 hours later (just woke up) any news on patches or what not? Still havent tried or cant until friday, just curious

ATI released a hotfix to increase RAGE performance. It's just bad graphics drivers, the game itself is actually quite good.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU121AMDCatRagePerfDriver.aspx

This update doesn't help the problem people are having at all on ATI cards. i had to uninstall my video drivers and retro install the 11.8 catalyst package to make things more tolerable but i'm still waiting for a better fix before i want to play it.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Sin4profit

@Seppli said:

Luckily RAGE releases on the 6th in Europe, so I was able to nip my pre-order in the butt. Opted for Dark Souls LE instead. I'll just grab RAGE in a year or so, when it's half the price and fully optimized.

Shame, I kinda expected more after years of hearing really good things about it. News were more mixed lately and articles like the Ars Technica review kinda put me off. These technical hiccups did kill any chance of them getting my cash at release.

Hope I'll manage to thoroughly enjoy Dark Souls between the 6th and the 27th of October, when I'm going to jump on BF3. Seems like too little time to really do it justice. Well - I'm commited to do it now. RAGE is to blame.

Good choice, i thought about it before and now i really regret not getting Dark Souls for 360...at least then i'd have something to play right now. Guess it's back to more BF3 Beta with it's far more tolerable bugs like clipping through the damn world itself!

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#104  Edited By Rhaknar

some news for ATI owners (from tiwtter):

CatalystCreator Andrew D

All - don't use the current Rage performance driver - package includes very old OGL files, that's why you're seeing corruption etc.

CatalystCreator Andrew D

New Rage driver with proper OGL component will be posted later today

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Sin4profit

@Rhaknar: well that sounds promising. Thanks for the update.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Rhaknar

@Sin4profit said:

@Rhaknar: well that sounds promising. Thanks for the update.

aye dude hope it works out. Seems ATI owners (as usual? jesus) are the most fucked over, most people i see with nvidia cards, especially high end ones like the gtx580 seem fine (which is mine so im feeling a bit better about trying it friday)

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107  Edited By Sooty

I don't know why people even care about ID anymore.

option

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#108  Edited By option

I had not been too interested but decided to take the plunge last night and go ahead and buy it on steam. Played for an hour or two last night and could not be more disappointed in the graphics. I've tried multiple updates and or fixes recommended but nothing helps. Textures are constantly popping as well as many other visual oddities. I can not recommend this game in any way on the PC.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By Klei

@nmarchan said:

somebody posted this video of the pop-in issues on youtube. As far as I can tell from comments on another board, these issues are happening for a majority of players, if not UNIVERSALLY.

Buyer beware.

Also, guess we know why they were just showing the console versions, huh?

This is played on a fucking peasant computer from five years ago. Ever looked at Half-Life 2 on supreme low setting? It's uglier than HL1.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Rhaknar

ATI confirmed new drivers for tonight. Really hope that helps all ATI owners

Update 3: ATI have fessed up to putting out a borked driver: “All – don’t use the current Rage performance driver – package includes very old OGL files, that’s why you’re seeing corruption etc… New Rage driver with proper OGL component will be posted later today.” And yet they haven’t withdrawn the bad one yet. What fun! Meantime I’ve actually ordered an NVIDIA card so I can get this blinkin’ Wot I Think done without keeling over from a migraine.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/04/raging-about-rage-pc/

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Klei said:

@nmarchan said:

somebody posted this video of the pop-in issues on youtube. As far as I can tell from comments on another board, these issues are happening for a majority of players, if not UNIVERSALLY.

Buyer beware.

Also, guess we know why they were just showing the console versions, huh?

This is played on a fucking peasant computer from five years ago. Ever looked at Half-Life 2 on supreme low setting? It's uglier than HL1.

Except...You know.

"Specs: i7 720QM, 5870M 1GB DDR5, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 7200RPM HDD."

therealminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 36

#112  Edited By therealminime

I have a very capable machine and from the 2+ hours I have spent with RAGE, I cannot say that I am impressed. For the most part, the texture have not been too problimatic, aside form them looking terrible up close. The game runs very smooth, 60fps always, but the fact that there are basically no customization options is very, very disppoinsintg. So, I was having little graphical issues until I got to Dead City then this:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594698084211473686/1D1F40F08292194A84889E9CF3994F0A05933DAC/

So I decided to wait there for a minute to see if the textures loaded in, and the result:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594698084211475913/521EACC834FD294864DAF5AEB4C167F351C7B270/

Very sad. For the people who made PC gaming great, this hurts. I can understand why they would want to put emphasis on the console market, as that is where the money is at, but for a PC port to be in this condition from any developer is disappointing, let alone from id Software.

Edit: I have an nVidia card. I hope they patch this up soon.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By GaspoweR

ATI never get their shit together. Most of the problems that have been coming out on the PC platform over the past few months have really been isolated to ATI cards and the Nvidia related problems usually get fixed within a short time...

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

Do publishers really wonder why games sell worse on PC? Either way we get the game 2 months to a year late or they are just a broken piece of garbage. The game looked fun and I was about to order it for the PC, but now I'll just wait till it goes budget.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By McShank

@laserbolts: You obviously have never played fallout 3 launch day, new vegas launch day, dead island launch day, wow launch day, dc universe launch day, brotherhood launch day, GT5 launch day.. there are a shit ton of games that have been shipped with really shitty glitches that practically broke the game for some. Dont try to sound like your some damn high and mighty entity of the people who deserves everything perfect as soon as they buy it.. Games have a problem that beta's dont show sometimes.

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Soulblitz

Weirdly, most of the issues I've seen have been with people using ATi cards. Is the problem as widespread with Nvidia cards?

HotSando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By HotSando

@Soulblitz said:

Weirdly, most of the issues I've seen have been with people using ATi cards. Is the problem as widespread with Nvidia cards?

Why is it "weirdly" They are different manufacturers with vastly different drivers. What the hell you expect us to enumuerate the "widespread"-ness of the problem for you? What kind of low-content stupid post is this. "Here let me fucking create a graph of every graphics card owners experience for you, just because you fucking lazily asked for it."

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Insectecutor

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

do you really fucking think the game is magically able to adjust the settings by itself so it fits perfectly then by god, get a clue. The reason there aren't more graphics option is because id didn't take or didn't get extra time to implement those. NOTHING ELSE.

You're pretty angry. Sounds like you just want some buttons to press rather than having a specific requirement.

Most settings a user can normally change like shadow quality and anisotropic filtering dictate the quality of tiled textures. Since Rage doesn't use tiled textures those settings are irrelevant.

You can also adjust a lot of settings in your graphics driver. Rage will use those settings.

If you're really crazy about this shit you can dive into the game config file and totally fuck everything up. You can also enable the in-game console to tweak on the fly. I'll leave it to you and google to work that out.

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Soulblitz

@HotSando said:

@Soulblitz said:

Why is it "weirdly" They are different manufacturers with vastly different drivers. What the hell you expect us to enumuerate the "widespread"-ness of the problem for you? What kind of low-content stupid post is this. "Here let me fucking create a graph of every graphics card owners experience for you, just because you fucking lazily asked for it."

I say "weirdly" because I don't know much about graphics cards and am asking a genuine question. I figured "Hey, maybe the people that have been following the problem for longer and know more about it might know if the issue is also as significant on Nvidia cards or if it's just an ATi thing."

What kind or moronic, over-reacting post is this? Fuck off.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By napalm

Ya'll are a bunch of whiny bitches, good god. Give it a few days and let Id iron things out. 

So fucking entitled.

therealminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By therealminime

@Napalm: For a game that was in development for 6 years, it should have a flawless launch on all platforms.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Sin4profit
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Rhaknar
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Rhaknar

lots of neogaf users saying the latest drivers fixed the game for them, really hope it helps you guys :D Seems there is still an issue with v-sync, which can be fixed with the catalist controler thingie

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By napalm
    @Minime637 said:

@Napalm: For a game that was in development for 6 years, it should have a flawless launch on all platforms.

Guess what, broski? Shit happens. The game has been fixed on day one. Go fucking bitch about something else, please.
    therealminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By therealminime

@Napalm: Temper, temper.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Klei

@Cloudenvy Well, this  computer must be fucked up somwhere, because I've got a similar rig and it works like wonders. Updating drivers, y'all?
    solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By solidlife
    This made my Day. I feel for you guys :(
    This made my Day. I feel for you guys :(
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Sin4profit

@Napalm: Not for everyone. Things on my end went from bad to worse as the new "fix" causes the game to crash now.

Leekspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Leekspin

@Napalm: This isn't an MMO where the issues are attributed to server issues due to overload, this is a FPS and SHOULD be flawless. Bugs that come up when a certain quest won't finish due to some issue are understandable but to flat out not work on AMD systems is stupid

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ChaosDent

@solidlife: Hilarious, but true.

@Leekspin said:

@Napalm: This isn't an MMO where the issues are attributed to server issues due to overload, this is a FPS and SHOULD be flawless. Bugs that come up when a certain quest won't finish due to some issue are understandable but to flat out not work on AMD systems is stupid

It is a brand new engine that uses some very aggressive rendering paths. The analogy to an MMO launching on untested server hardware is apt, except in this case the untested hardware is the vast array of different hardware and software configurations that the engine has to support. Of course there will be issues, every game has them even when using an engine as often deployed as Unreal or Renderware. The AMD driver mistake seems to be what pushes this beyond the expected number of issues, and it was resolved to my satisfaction in less than a day.

For what it's worth, the new AMD drivers bring the texture pop-in issue under control on my system (Radeon 5770). It's not gone, but it only appears in larger areas and lasts a fraction of a second. The new drivers also render at the much touted 60 FPS, while lowering the resolution actually impacts the amount of texture pop-in that I notice.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By prestonhedges

My only question: is the mouse swimmy as shit in menus?

Fuck texture pop-in and rendering options, that's what gets me with ports nowadays.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By prestonhedges

@rebgav said:

@gladspooky said:

There's a buttload of mouse acceleration/smoothing in-game which doesn't apply to the menus or quest prompts, I find that my mouse is twitchy as hell in the menus once I've adjusted the in-game sensitivity.

Because that makes sense, right? In another five years we'll have to bring up an on-screen keyboard and scroll through the letters with an analog stick in order to type anything. Ugh.

Avatar image for mustacheride420
    mustacheride420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By mustacheride420
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Now my problem is that characters are flickering (to extremes like this one) and constant crashing everytime it tries to load a new area.

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By HoM3R

i7 920 with 4gb and 560ti (BF3 drivers) the pop in is crazy. It very fast but the fact the the edge of my screen flickers from texture loading everytime I turn is just BS.

Also like the fact, everything that is close to me looks like crap but the landscape and backgrounds look freaking amazing! Does the game adjust the texture quality based on your system?

The mouse speed in menus is also terrible. Cant believe that they said that the pc version is good because they could fix it up until release compared to console versions :/

Not playing this until we see some patching and driver updates.

excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By excido

core2quad@2.33ghz, ATI 6870...After updating to the latest drivers and enabling vsync the game works pretty good. There is some texture loading on the edges but it happens relatively fast for me, it's most noticeable when loading new areas. I find when I'm in to action, etc. I don't even think about it at all. While I hope that they continue to fix the game at this point I'm satisfied with the tech side of it enough that I have no problems playing. gunplay feels good and the world feels different. Enjoying this on PC.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By ZimboDK
    @excido said:

core2quad@2.33ghz, ATI 6870...After updating to the latest drivers and enabling vsync the game works pretty good. There is some texture loading on the edges but it happens relatively fast for me, it's most noticeable when loading new areas. I find when I'm in to action, etc. I don't even think about it at all. While I hope that they continue to fix the game at this point I'm satisfied with the tech side of it enough that I have no problems playing. gunplay feels good and the world feels different. Enjoying this on PC.

This, pretty much. Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, GTX 560 Ti, 6 GB RAM. Only "problem" is the textures streaming if I turn too fast. Otherwise, the game runs perfectly.
    Leekspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Leekspin

My system

2500K, 2x 6950s, 8GB of Ram, 120GB SSD. The performance (FPS) is fine with the new drivers but there are still way too many crashes when loading and graphics glitches out the ass on most characters.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Rhaknar

so it finally unlocked for me today and it runs perfectly (not to be a prick but damn if every game people have problems with lately doesnt run perfectly for me... Deus Ex, Dead Island and now this). 1920X1080 60fps with everything maxed (well everything is just AA >_>), forced V-Sync off the bat with the nvidia control panel since i knew that was an issue, and made a small config file as recomended with just these settings (i read you can add a lot more shit but the game is perfect as it is so /meh):

com_SkipIntroVideo 1

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192

vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192

vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192

vt_restart

vt_useCudaTranscode 2

vt_maxaniso 4

image_anisotropy 4

i5 750 2.67hz, 4gb Ram, GTX580 1.5gb here. Remind me to never buy a non-nvidia card ever again. The game looks fucking amazing, except of course for some ugly ass low res texture, which yes, they are there (hell you can see lots in the starting area heh). No texture pop-in, no tearing, etc. Im happy, now tto enjoy my weekend with it (knock on wood for no crashes like some people are getting)

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#140  Edited By Jams

@gladspooky said:

@rebgav said:

@gladspooky said:

There's a buttload of mouse acceleration/smoothing in-game which doesn't apply to the menus or quest prompts, I find that my mouse is twitchy as hell in the menus once I've adjusted the in-game sensitivity.

Because that makes sense, right? In another five years we'll have to bring up an on-screen keyboard and scroll through the letters with an analog stick in order to type anything. Ugh.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM. Fuck all this graphics garbage, why does the mouse control different in the menus? It's like they are emulating an analog joystick to the mouse. The acceleration is so heavy, if you try to move the pointer slowly (to precisely select icons in the menu) the pointer won't even move. It's all fucked up. At least in borderlands, they make you navigate the menus by keyboard. The PC UI is counter-intuitive too. No really easy was to see what weapon you're selecting. It's so fucked up it's stupid pathetic.

They made a gamepad only UI then tacked on M/Kb support after the fact. Why isn't there a quick select of weapons with the mouse wheel like in TF2? Why do I have to use F1 F2 F3 F4 for the grenades, etc? Why can't I just hold Q or something bring up a directional menu (like Crysis PC was) to select those. Same for Weapons. They get it half right there. You can hold CTRL and choose the ammo type and weapon, but they put the radials at the edges of the screen and make you navigate them with the mouse (that starts in the middle).

Beiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Beiken

Wondering if it might be a better idea to wait for the supposedly upcoming settings update so you can tweak the stuff yourself without having to go into config file creations and experimenting?

I can run the game just fine with an amazing framerate after the recent rage driver update but everything looks blurry, muddy and ugly textures like if all the settings is set to the lowest. My computer isnt the best and I cant run everything on maxed but I can atleast run it on a higher setting so the game doesnt look so ugly.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#142  Edited By EnchantedEcho

So can anyone actually run this game on a 6950?

It looks atrocious on my computer (2600K (4.3GHZ) and 4GB of RAM) and I have done a heap of rageconfig.cfg file things, I'm using the RAGE drivers (unless they fixed them for a second time?).

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By prestonhedges

@Jams said:

@gladspooky said:

@rebgav said:

@gladspooky said:

THIS IS THE PROBLEM. Fuck all this graphics garbage, why does the mouse control different in the menus? It's like they are emulating an analog joystick to the mouse. The acceleration is so heavy, if you try to move the pointer slowly (to precisely select icons in the menu) the pointer won't even move. It's all fucked up. At least in borderlands, they make you navigate the menus by keyboard. The PC UI is counter-intuitive too. No really easy was to see what weapon you're selecting. It's so fucked up it's stupid pathetic.

They made a gamepad only UI then tacked on M/Kb support after the fact. Why isn't there a quick select of weapons with the mouse wheel like in TF2? Why do I have to use F1 F2 F3 F4 for the grenades, etc? Why can't I just hold Q or something bring up a directional menu (like Crysis PC was) to select those. Same for Weapons. They get it half right there. You can hold CTRL and choose the ammo type and weapon, but they put the radials at the edges of the screen and make you navigate them with the mouse (that starts in the middle).

Eh. For weapons you can just hit the numbers. The F key situation is fucked, though.

It's just disappointing. Like, how long does it take to get the mouse right in menus? It's not like if the quest dialog comes up and someone's using a controller, they have to use the analog stick to move the mouse cursor over ACCEPT anyway. Why is it affected by the in-game sensitivity? Did anyone play this game on a PC or did they just remap the buttons and go like, "Yup, our job is done."? There are so many games that have the same problem, too, and it's such an easy fix. Ugh. UGH.

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By NobodyHIFI

@REIGN: I actually got mine running without and graphical issues, although I'm using a Nvidia GPU.

when i first started i had horrible screen tearing and texture pop ins, but with a config file i found online , the right launch options, and forcing vsync from the nvidia console, the game now looks great!

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By emem

@NobodyHIFI: Forcing NSYNC sounds scary. ;)

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By NobodyHIFI

@emem said:

@NobodyHIFI: Forcing NSYNC sounds scary. ;)

oh mannnnn... i can't believe I did that lol

Nobody should ever force boy bands on another

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By emem

@NobodyHIFI: Haha yeah! Well, at least you changed it.. it's like it never happened! :P

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By SmilingPig

@REIGN said:

So i just played about 20 minutes or so of Rage on my PC...

...and it was underwhelming to say the least.

The graphics were really buggy-

As in some of the characters were literally blinking in and out of reality

There was weird tearing of some of the HUD that would flash up

There wasn't just a little texture pop-in, but every single time your would rotate your vision, all the textures that you weren't looking at would pop-in....every single time. Worst pop-in I've ever seen.

Oh...and there aren't ANY video settings in the game other than brightness and anti-aliasing. Nothing at all.

I'm playing on an Athlon X4 955 / 4GB Ram / HD 6950 2GB rig with the most recent drivers.

Anyone else having problems? Because I've never even thought of asking for a refund on Steam, but I just might for this one.

Same problem with the HD 6770 (or HD 5770) 12gig of ram pentium i7 2600 win7 64bit.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By evilrazer

Is it something wrong with me? Because I liked only 2 quests and I'm 9 hours into the game.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By bybeach

I'm having a great time with it The game has both opened up, and the graphics update happened. I left v-sync off because I have no screen tearing to speak of. The texture adjustment did matter a bit, especially when I did a comparison. I am really liking the game, though the lighting sometimes seems off, I've adjusted bright waaaaay down. I wonder what the wemen's story in this game is, they hang around looking hot for a bunch of ugly rednecks who seem to show no interest in them. Too busy scratching themselves(I hope) and looking at dirty pictures I bet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.