Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

Rage; what's the big deal?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

I've watched nearly all of the developer interviews and gameplay videos shown of Rage so far, and I'm left scratching my head. What's so special about it? Why are some people acting as if this is the second coming? Why have sites  such as Gametrailers listed it as the most exciting game of E3 for multiple platforms and categories? If someone said "imagine if Borderlands and Fallout 3 had a baby", Rage seems like it would be an accurate manifestation. Borderlands and FO3 are both great games, but I don't see why another post-apocalyptic first person shooter is somehow groundbreaking. It seems like it looks and plays quite nice, but other than that I have trouble finding anything truly distinctive about it that could justify elevating it above "just another good game" status. So what am I missing? Or do a lot of you feel the same way? 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

It's... rage enducing! RAAAAAAAAAAAAR 

I think the hype is because of the technology behind it, but like you, i don't generally have fun while looking at some neat new features, while the rest is derivative of what i've experienced before. 

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By borodin

It's made by id? That still means a lot to a lot of people I guess? At the very least just from that you're reasonably assured of a graphical showstopper? Other than that I think maybe you're just over-egging the coverage a little bit, I personally haven't noticed anything too crazy. What other multiplatform game are you thinking deservers more excitement?   

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jeust
    @borodin: this year probably there isn't anything else terribly exciting. The big boys have moved to 2011.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By Geno
    @borodin: It's not that I think some other game deserves more hype, it's just that the excitement around Rage seems unwarranted. It's the type of game where I would expect most of the gaming audience to be rather apathetic about, but everyone seems really keen on it. I'm just confused. Maybe there was a really cool gameplay video that I missed? So far all I've seen is Borderlands with the cel-shading toned down a bit. 
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By buzz_killington
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By borodin
    @Geno: I think in that case the main reason probably is that it's an id joint. I haven't been following it very closely and like you I haven't seen a trailer that blew me away, but, you know, id! Doom! Quake! John Carmack! 
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Binman88

I have no idea either. Unless it's doing something really awesome in terms of gameplay, I can't say I'm gonna be rushing out to buy it on day one.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's pretty

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VWGTI

I'm with you OP. I watched a bunch of developer interviews and gameplay vids and I didn't see anything worth getting excited about. I guess having John Carmack at the helm helps as far as publicity but if they want my money they need to really "wow" me with something or just make DOOM 4. Yea...DOOM 4 would be nice.

Avatar image for i_love_eva_braun
    I_love_Eva_Braun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By I_love_Eva_Braun

Id software dude

irish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By irish

It's gonna be good....really fucking good

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeust
    @VWGTI said:
    " I'm with you OP. I watched a bunch of developer interviews and gameplay vids and I didn't see anything worth getting excited about. I guess having John Carmack at the helm helps as far as publicity but if they want my money they need to really "wow" me with something or just make DOOM 4. Yea...DOOM 4 would be nice. "
    Doom 4 is being developed. 
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Darkstar614

Because of the frontier they're braving with the new engine, id tech 5. With this so-called Mega-Texture tech, games aren't going to be as limited by having to load every texture file into the RAM. It's neat stuff.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Gav47
    @I_love_Eva_Braun said:
    " Id software dude "
    Yep, they made Doom and Quake both games that revolutionised the FPS genre so when you tell people that they are making a new game its pretty fair to assume there will be a great deal of excitement.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

I just think it looks like it could be fun.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @buzz_killington said:
    " John Carmack. I've said enough. "
    Yeah, that's pretty much what it comes down to.
    scuudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By scuudz

I, personally, haven't seen any over-the-top coverage.  I think it will be a good game, but not ground-breaking.  I'm excited about it, but I am more excited about Agent and we don't know anything about that game yet!
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By FreakAche

It's because some people think that Id is still relevant in 2010.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho
    @FreakAche: Dumbass. 
    Anyway a big part of Rage is versatility is developer useability. If middlewear can straddle the line you get a lot of good lower budget games that clearly look like Rage games and higher end games that look great, then you find out it was made on idTech 5 (which most people will probably call the Rage engine). And also its a big deal cus its replacing Bethesda collosal piece of shit inhouse engine where companions magically dissapear and wolves walk backwards and other embarrassing shit that people have to use console commands on PC to bypass.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get it either. I mean, visually it looks good....I guess?  

But is that it? Is that all Rage has going for it? And don't say some piece of tech. Being a showpiece for technology means nothing to me and isn't enough to get me excited about a game. 

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By vidiot

I asked this question to myself a while ago. I'm still waiting for Rage to draw me in. I'm waiting for that little thing, something that I can point to and be like: "YEAH! That's why I'm getting it! That's what the gaming press sees!

This hasn't happened yet, and it's good to see that I'm not alone. I also don't think it's going to happen.
    Especially when the creative director is quoted saying stuff like:

"There's nothing that we're doing besides technology that really hasn't been done before,"  
     -Tim Willits

In which I respond: "That better be some freaking amazing tech guys."

Don't get me wrong. I have deep respect for the guys at id. At the same time though, after reading Masters of Doom, and reading about Carmack, my anticipation becomes a bit more muddled. I didn't like Doom 3, because it felt like a game that I had played before the last five years with a nice coat of paint. It hasn't exactly aged very well either. 
    So here we are almost six years later, and I'm staring at a mixture of Fallout 3/Borderlands/GTA. 

...What else? Where's the game's identity? Guess I gotta wait.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @ryanwho:   It's not replacing GameBryo.  GameBryo is not inhouse.  It's developed by Emergent Technologies, not Bethesda.  They are still using GameBryo, just updating to a newer version, what they refer to as 'rebooting' it.

Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard explained in a separate interview with IGN that his game would not use id Tech 5. The studio's new engine built for its upcoming title is more beneficial to creating huge, open-world games, such as Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, while id Tech 5 is better for more contained environments.

"We decided to really reboot our technology after Fallout 3, so we had been making plans for that and started doing some things. The id thing came along later, so it's a mix of that plus the kinds of games we do are a bit bigger and more dynamic.

"Id Tech 5 is the best thing in the world at doing a very static environment that looks pretty and you're going to run through. But for the kinds of things I like to do, I like the world to be more dynamic."

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By FreakAche
    @ryanwho: Umm... okay? I'm not really sure how to respond to that. Trust me, I like Quake and the like just as much as the next guy, but looking at what they're doing now with Rage just seems weird. The coverage of that game so far has just been showing off one bad development decision after another. I'll be pretty surprised if the game turns out to be anything special.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DystopiaX

idtech5, the gameplay seems original- the openness of an RPG but instead you get action. I love open world games, the world seems well-conceived, I like the option to customize playstyle "puzzle-like" combat with drones, etc. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.