Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

Sounds like Rage is doing something I really wish Borderlands did

Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By MightyMayorMike

In Brad's interview with id's Matt Hooper on Rage, they kind of breezed by what I found most interesting: it sounds like once you leave areas they'll be randomized somewhat, so next time you enter an instance/zone/dungeon/what-have-you there could be different enemies there and even soft mission objectives that are outside of the game.

So, in other words, Rage has a random mission generator.

As someone who loves Borderlands and sunk over 80 hours into it on the PC, the thrill of using your awesome weapons is moot when you know the score. I really wish there was some element of randomness to the locales - it seems like something the structure of the game could easily accommodate. The game's inclusion of elite mobs is good, but I wish it also had wilder mini-bosses. That way, when you go back through an area that used to be filled with skags, it could now be a makeshift base for bandits, and at the end of it you'd fight some more powerful mob who maybe acts a little differently (or something).

Well, here's hoping this is something the sequel figures out. I imagine it's definitely something Gear Box is thinking of as they've gotten a ton of feedback about how the end game lacks some punch.

(Unrelated aside: for whatever reason playing through Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age I also found myself wishing for a random mission generator. There are just some games that I want to keep playing in the world. Fallout 3 did a good job of it with encounters, but even in that game I wish it'd go one step further.)

Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MightyMayorMike

In Brad's interview with id's Matt Hooper on Rage, they kind of breezed by what I found most interesting: it sounds like once you leave areas they'll be randomized somewhat, so next time you enter an instance/zone/dungeon/what-have-you there could be different enemies there and even soft mission objectives that are outside of the game.

So, in other words, Rage has a random mission generator.

As someone who loves Borderlands and sunk over 80 hours into it on the PC, the thrill of using your awesome weapons is moot when you know the score. I really wish there was some element of randomness to the locales - it seems like something the structure of the game could easily accommodate. The game's inclusion of elite mobs is good, but I wish it also had wilder mini-bosses. That way, when you go back through an area that used to be filled with skags, it could now be a makeshift base for bandits, and at the end of it you'd fight some more powerful mob who maybe acts a little differently (or something).

Well, here's hoping this is something the sequel figures out. I imagine it's definitely something Gear Box is thinking of as they've gotten a ton of feedback about how the end game lacks some punch.

(Unrelated aside: for whatever reason playing through Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age I also found myself wishing for a random mission generator. There are just some games that I want to keep playing in the world. Fallout 3 did a good job of it with encounters, but even in that game I wish it'd go one step further.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.