Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

Which score will Brad give Rage?

• 75 results
    shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By shinigami420

the looks like a 3 star game (considering the lack of any real marketing the publisher must be worried about the quality)

But Brad is always extreamly biased as well a jeff

so i would say 4-5 stars

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By EuanDewar
    @shinigami420 Biased towards what, in this specific case?
    Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@I_smell said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

I honestly haven't seen much. A few banner ads, but I've yet to see a t.v. spot, and the fact that I haven't even seen anything (and I watch a lot of various media) seems to make me think they aren't putting that much into it. I watch a lot of T.V, a lot of HULU, go to a lot of various websites, especially video-content providing ones, and I've yet to see a RAGE ad. If this is the most aggressive game marketing you've seen, you've been in a cave.

Yeah it's not been Homefront-levels of marketing or COD or anything, I'm just sayin that they're not burying it.

If it's not even a Homefront-level of marketing, what does that potentially say for the publishers confidence in it?

I mean, maybe its an issue with them putting all their marketing dollars into The Elder <redacted due to pending lawsuit> 5: Skyrim coming out in November, but they might as well have buried the game. I've seen nothing anywhere about it, they haven't been bringing it around to sites for anything from what I've seen, its just sort-of "yeah, we made this, here."

I'd call that buried, honestly.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By I_smell

btw how many adverts a game has doesn't have anything to do with how good it is, just how marketable it is.

Like-- HOMEFRONT is a modern game about warfare, while Vanquish is an anime robot beat-em-up thing. Games like Mass Effect or Metal Gear or Uncharted are pretty easy to put marketing behind, but other awesome games like Bioshock or Shadow of the Colossus or Demon's Souls have like zero money to do that.

Whatever trick you've all developed to read how good a game is without lookin at it: fuckin pack it in.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Gav47

Oh shit, Brad is reading this thread, Now won't be able to take his review seriously as I'm sure our vast assumptions have already swayed his journalistic integrity. 

Oh and please tell me the PC version will be looked at, it is an id game after all.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By mrfluke

@Brad: quake 4, quake wars, and wolfenstein were all sorts of technically janky for me

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By Rayeth

@mrfluke said:

@Brad: quake 4, quake wars, and wolfenstein were all sorts of technically janky for me

You just got trolled, sir. Most recent id games have shipped with horrible technical bugs. Just look at Doom 3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

@I_smell said:

@iAmJohn said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

Game has not had much press, which means Bethesda doesn't seem that impressed at the games overall quality, they don't want to spend much on marketing a bomb.

It's likely a 3-out-of-5 star game. good ideas, but more of a tech demo than a solid game.

Lol wat? Where did you get that idea? I've seen a ton of Rage ads both on TV and in the real world (it's all over the buses and telephone booths in New York), not to mention the entire discussion on the last Bombcast about how they shoved the game into Breaking Bad. Bethesda is leaning into this game HARD.

And the fact that there's bin a 5-minute video of practically each mission in the game coming out like every week for the past year.

Honestly, this game must have the most aggressive game marketing in a long time. They even downgrade Breaking Bad for their fucking Rage marketing needs q.q

I honestly haven't seen much. A few banner ads, but I've yet to see a t.v. spot, and the fact that I haven't even seen anything (and I watch a lot of various media) seems to make me think they aren't putting that much into it. I watch a lot of T.V, a lot of HULU, go to a lot of various websites, especially video-content providing ones, and I've yet to see a RAGE ad. If this is the most aggressive game marketing you've seen, you've been in a cave.

Or your the only guy who hasn't seen it.

Let's see where this aggressive marketing campaign is:

Television? Haven't seen a trailer yet.

Hulu - Nope, still running Dead Island and Gears of War ads, actually.

IGN.com - Three Musketeer movie teaser ad spot. Best Buy ads.

Gametrailers.com - Mentos Gum full-page layout.

VGChartz.com - Skyrim Advert sidebanner and page layout for gamerprint shirts.

1up.com - Staples adchoice advert banners.

Gamepro.com - Rusty Hearts game banner, no full-page ads.

Giantbomb.com - Dead Island all the time, baby!

Cracked.com - Mentos full-page layout

G4TV.com - Best Buy ads and Sony Music adverts.

the only place I've found any ad push at all is from gamespot affiliates (Gamefaqs and gamespot.com) which are blasting a full page layout advert campaign.

That's hardly an impressive, or extensive ad campaign.

In fact it's pretty pathetic.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By iamjohn

@mrfluke said:

Which one of those games did iD make again? Hint: it's none of them.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#60  Edited By I_smell

@allworkandlowpay: Alright you're definately spinning a story out of nowhere here, the game'soneverywebsite, this fuckin-- basketball dude is all up in it, it's in like every episode of Breaking Bad (the most popular show ever right now), they've bin the main focus of Quake CONVENTION for like the passed 3 years, there's a book, a comic, an iPhone game, there has to be like-- literally 100 videos for this on Gametrailers...

It's not a big media event, but if you think someone's out there saying "yeah, we made this, here." then you are an absolute crazy person.

And like I said, it has nothing to do with how good the game is. If you think the people who designate ad money around a publisher actually sit down and play these unfinished games for a couple hours and decide if they're fun or not, you're living in a fantasy world. Noone on earth is thinking "These guys have bin workin on this for like 5 years, now it's time for me to step in and make sure nobody buys it"-- if you think that's a thing, then you're absolutely out of your mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@I_smell: went to the netflix site, reloaded it about 30 times, no rage ads. Gametrailers is showing up gum right now, no rage ads. Breaking bad apparently has ads on it, ok, so that's a show. It's on nothing else I've watched, including G4TV or G4TV on demand. Then there the umpteen other sites I listed to your three, which usually have every game under the sun fully pasted on it pre-release -- nothing. The only ones I've seen it on are gamespot affiliate sites. Probably because they Kane and Lynch'd it.

As for Quakecon ... well yeah, duh. that's like saying Madden being the highlight of the NFL-Sports Expo.

I'm not spinning a story, all I said was I didn't see much advertisements for it at all, and I frequent quite a many websites, watch quite a bit of tv, and watch quite a bit of internet videos, and there's been very few ads. to me that means the company isn't put much faith on the product. Obviously I'm not saying they ARENT advertising it at all, I just haven't seen much. I'm then assaulted by an overblown hyperbolic statement that it's one of the largest marketing events of all time (or at least this year.) Who's spinning a story?

Let's be realistic here. It's not a very big media push, Breaking Bad or not, there must be a reason. It could just be that they are saving their money for suing Notch and advertising Skyrim, or it could be that they aren't feeling that great about the game right now compared to the competition.

W_R_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By W_R_B

@allworkandlowpay: I dunno. They were practically running those Blake Griffin commercials on loop a few months ago and I'm sure the product placement in Breaking Bad cost some dough.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    Definitely 5 stars. After giving Dead Island 4 stars, I expect nothing less.
    anal_diarrhea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By anal_diarrhea

Where are people getting this idea that Rage has "flown under the radar" and not gotten much press? I've seen more promo videos and previews for Rage than any game this year including BF3.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DystopiaX

@anal_diarrhea said:

Where are people getting this idea that Rage has "flown under the radar" and not gotten much press? I've seen more promo videos and previews for Rage than any game this year including BF3.

Where are you looking? Cause I haven't.

Also gonna say 4-5 stars, depending on length, effectiveness of vehicle combat, and the RPG shit. According to EGM it's 12 hours long or so, which is short for a single-player open-world game, I've seen nothing much of the vehicles which apparently are pretty big, and I know nothing about the last so...

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Hitchenson

What a dumb thread. But hey, this isn't exactly a great post. It best be the PC version getting reviewed.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#67  Edited By csl316
    @allworkandlowpay said:

Game has not had much press, which means Bethesda doesn't seem that impressed at the games overall quality, they don't want to spend much on marketing a bomb.

It's likely a 3-out-of-5 star game. good ideas, but more of a tech demo than a solid game.

I dunno, man.  On the rare occasion I watch tv, I tend to see a couple Rage commercials.  I've seen banners all over websites, and they've done plenty of interviews leading up to it.  Including the 3 hours session press folks were getting a while back.

Seems like it's been getting plenty of push, I think.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

I dunno, man. On the rare occasion I watch tv, I tend to see a couple Rage commercials. I've seen banners all over websites, and they've done plenty of interviews leading up to it. Including the 3 hours session press folks were getting a while back. Seems like it's been getting plenty of push, I think.

The ads might have been like googlead or adcontrol based. maybe you were looking up Rage a bit, and the ad sites catered to you? Because honestly, so far I've yet to have seen a single one outside of gamespot. I do believe I saw one ad on tv, but only once.

It's possible they spent most of their ad budget on the Breaking Bad commercials. Still, its hardly the hyperbolic statement of the "biggest ad push in recent history" as one bomber suggested, and it still seems very light to me for a November release.

anal_diarrhea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By anal_diarrhea

Dudes Giantbomb itself has put up a Rage promo video like every couple of weeks this year:

http://www.giantbomb.com/rage/61-20672/videos/

Because Bethesda's been putting them out on purpose to keep the Rage name out there. Not to mention the big preview event which Alex and every other major outlet attended. And the flashy Zenimax-produced History of id series which was basically a Rage promotional vehicle. There've been constant forum threads on GAF and other forums every few weeks with people arguing about the textures and borderlands and stupid shit.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#70  Edited By csl316
    @allworkandlowpay said:

@csl316 said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

I dunno, man. On the rare occasion I watch tv, I tend to see a couple Rage commercials. I've seen banners all over websites, and they've done plenty of interviews leading up to it. Including the 3 hours session press folks were getting a while back. Seems like it's been getting plenty of push, I think.

The ads might have been like googlead or adcontrol based. maybe you were looking up Rage a bit, and the ad sites catered to you? Because honestly, so far I've yet to have seen a single one outside of gamespot. I do believe I saw one ad on tv, but only once.

It's possible they spent most of their ad budget on the Breaking Bad commercials. Still, its hardly the hyperbolic statement of the "biggest ad push in recent history" as one bomber suggested, and it still seems very light to me for a November release.

Could have something to do with Google or whatever, but I honestly haven't been looking up the game that much.  Because watching someone play what looks like a fun game does nothing for me.  The tv ads aren't due to my internet activity (at least, I hope not), so seeing commercials kind of sticks out to me.

Not the biggest ad push, but certainly above average, imo.
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kishinfoulux

@anal_diarrhea said:

Not it hasn't and because no one is talking about it. Everyone is enamored with Dark Souls or talking about how crappy the Battlefield 3 beta is. Rage is just kinda...there.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#72  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@anal_diarrhea said:

Dudes Giantbomb itself has put up a Rage promo video like every couple of weeks this year:

http://www.giantbomb.com/rage/61-20672/videos/

Because Bethesda's been putting them out on purpose to keep the Rage name out there. Not to mention the big preview event which Alex and every other major outlet attended. And the flashy Zenimax-produced History of id series which was basically a Rage promotional vehicle. There've been constant forum threads on GAF and other forums every few weeks with people arguing about the textures and borderlands and stupid shit.

This is accurate, and holy moley that's a lot of videoz :)

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By fjordson

4 stars, imo.

KarmaPoliceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By KarmaPoliceman

@Sooty:

Infamous 2 and Far Cry 2 both deserved 4 stars though. One changed very little from the previous and the other was a rather good game with some interesting ideas and some flaws. And I certainly see how LA Noir can be considered a 5 star game, however I disliked the last hour enough to bump it down to a four for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Brad more than the others tends to get swept up in how a game woos him initially. After watching the QL, and looking around on what else this game offers, the game seems pretty good, but I'm honestly not sure it deserves a solid 5. Because Brad is reviewing the game, though, I think he'll give it a 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not played this or Dead Island but from the looks of it, Rage seems to be at least one star better than Dead Island, and adjusting for what Brad should have given Dead Island, I'd say seven stars for Rage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.