Raiden is the fucking best.

#1 Posted by I_smell (3926 posts) -

I was just readin this thread and I remembered that the internet is totes gay.  What I'm talkin about is how everyone hates Raiden.
 
Yo, Raiden is the man.
 
The internet is all BOOHOO I WANTED TO PLAY AS SNAKE THIS GUY IS A FAG ETC. But don't you get it?
RAIDEN ALSO WANTED TO PLAY AS SNAKE. YOU ARE THE RAIDEN.
He went through VR simulations over n over again. He's heard the stories about Snake and Liquid, and Shadow Moses n all that bollocks.  "VR training" is code for MGS1. He has played MGS1.
He knows Colonel Campbell, he refuses to accept the lies about how Snake is all evil cos he idolises the guy, he's the only one who never knows what the hell is going on, and he spends the whole game tryin to force himself into this badass hero persona that he clearly doesn't fit.
He's not a super soldier, or some weird clone thing, he's pretty much just a guy with no remarkable past or experiences (until the end).
So MGS2 is a game about Solid Snake, told from the 2nd-person perspective of Raiden, who is a mirror of the player coming from MGS1. He's an even better mirror of the player who hasn't played MGS1, cos he's a total noob.
 
I so hate that they came out with MGS4 an said OH HEY, Y'KNOW THE SMARTEST IDEA WE'VE DONE WITH THE SERIES SO FAR? YEAH WELL NOBODY GOT IT, SO NOW HE'S A BADASS ROBOT NINJA. It's like they might aswel av said OH, AND SNAKE IS NOW A T-REX BY THE WAY. AND OTACON IS IRON MAN.
 
So yeah, Raiden is a really clever idea in a game about robot dinosaurs with rail guns for hands. An idea that was later scrapped cos too many people swung for the FUCKING EASY joke of him being gay.

#2 Posted by TwoOneFive (9461 posts) -

  oh, and... 
Cool story bro.
#3 Posted by Goly (843 posts) -

this post is pure genius.

#4 Posted by TwoOneFive (9461 posts) -

ps. i think you care about Raiden...a little too much... to say the least.
#5 Posted by PerryVandell (2100 posts) -

Uh... what?

#6 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5355 posts) -

I had no problem with Raiden in MGS2. I liked him!

#7 Posted by TwoOneFive (9461 posts) -

wtf no remarkable past or whatever?!?? how about being raised by solidus snake and fighting wars in a an army of children 
#8 Posted by Baillie (3955 posts) -
@I_smell said:
"He went through VR simulations over n over again. He's heard the stories about Snake and Liquid, and Shadow Moses n all that bollocks.  "VR training" is code for MGS1. He has played MGS1."
OH NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE! 
You are retarded.
#9 Edited by Cazamalos (982 posts) -

but i'm not a gay cyborg ninja :(

#10 Posted by Expletive (1057 posts) -

Cool story, bro.
 
 
However after reading that I want to go play MGS4 for the 5th time, so... Thanks?

#11 Posted by Xolare (1257 posts) -

As long as I was playing Metal Gear I really didn't give a shit.

#12 Posted by I_smell (3926 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" wtf no remarkable past or whatever?!?? how about being raised by solidus snake and fighting wars in a an army of children  "
Yeah, the whole idea falls apart at the end.
#13 Posted by Baillie (3955 posts) -
@I_smell said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" wtf no remarkable past or whatever?!?? how about being raised by solidus snake and fighting wars in a an army of children  "
Yeah, the whole idea falls apart at the end. "
What do you mean?
#14 Posted by I_smell (3926 posts) -
@Baillie said:
" @I_smell said:
"He went through VR simulations over n over again. He's heard the stories about Snake and Liquid, and Shadow Moses n all that bollocks.  "VR training" is code for MGS1. He has played MGS1."
OH NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE! You are retarded. "
His flashbacks are all PS1 game footage, I'm not just pullin this out of nowhere.
#15 Posted by JJOR64 (18783 posts) -

 This Raiden?
#16 Posted by Baillie (3955 posts) -
@I_smell said:
" @Baillie said:
" @I_smell said:
"He went through VR simulations over n over again. He's heard the stories about Snake and Liquid, and Shadow Moses n all that bollocks.  "VR training" is code for MGS1. He has played MGS1."
OH NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE! You are retarded. "
His flashbacks are all PS1 game footage, I'm not just pullin this out of nowhere. "
Yes, because something that is real in a game world becomes a game... in a game world?
#17 Posted by Mmmslash (2165 posts) -

While you raise an interesting point of contention, that I think has a lot of evidence behind it, that I have never heard before, this is what I feel:
 
I, even as a rampant homosexual, fucking hate Raiden. I hate his pretty-boy attitude, I hate his whiny girlfriend, and I hate his stupid peroxide hair. I hate everything he stood for, and when he got pissed on, and Campbell and Rose made fun of him, I fucking cheered.
 
I've never been so reluctant as I was in MGS4, when we had to find a machine to heal that dink.

#18 Posted by VoodooTerror (607 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
"
 This Raiden?
"
this is the raiden i thought the thread was going to be about, how disappointed i was :(
#19 Posted by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -

 This Raiden?
#20 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

 HES A FIRIN HIS LAZER! 
#21 Posted by obcdexter (531 posts) -

Hmm, funny thoughts...
Didn't Kojima openly admit that they just wanted to draw a broader audience (female players, to be more precise) and did some surveys what kind of character they'd rather like to play?

#22 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" While you raise an interesting point of contention, that I think has a lot of evidence behind it, that I have never heard before, this is what I feel:  I, even as a rampant homosexual, fucking hate Raiden. I hate his pretty-boy attitude, I hate his whiny girlfriend, and I hate his stupid peroxide hair. I hate everything he stood for, and when he got pissed on, and Campbell and Rose made fun of him, I fucking cheered.  I've never been so reluctant as I was in MGS4, when we had to find a machine to heal that dink. "
These are very valid points, but Kojima still doesn't give two shits. And neither do I really... I hate being the only one in the god damn world who didn't hate Raiden.
#23 Posted by NTM (7033 posts) -

Raiden was cool when I played him. And I remember when people didn't like playing as him in two. Buuuut um, ya know no one cares now? Ha, ever since four I don't think anyone has anything against Raiden as a character.
#24 Posted by Symphony (1913 posts) -
@obcdexter said:
" Hmm, funny thoughts... Didn't Kojima openly admit that they just wanted to draw a broader audience (female players, to be more precise) and did some surveys what kind of character they'd rather like to play? "
Then he failed miserably. Raiden is nothing compared to Snake, and the fact MGS2 was garbage from a story standpoint didn't exactly help Raiden's case.
#25 Posted by Mmmslash (2165 posts) -
@Symphony: I'm glad somebody else around here has some kind of sense.
#26 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6984 posts) -
@cazamalos said:
" but i'm not a gay cyborg ninja :( "
Raiden isn't gay, he has a kid. 
 
SPOILERZZZZZZZZ
#27 Edited by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@Mmmslash: Well I'm sorry that I'm too crazy and stupid to be considered sensible.
#28 Posted by Mmmslash (2165 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny: Plenty of gay men have girlfriends, and wives, and children.
#29 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6984 posts) -
@Mmmslash: Such as?
#30 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny: Every republican senator.
#31 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6984 posts) -
@Snipzor said:
" @Metal_Gear_Sunny: Every republican senator. "
OHHHHH SHIT!
#32 Posted by Mmmslash (2165 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny: Thousands? Tens of thousands? A lot of forcibly-outed politicians?
 
This is not an unheard of thing.
 
@Snipzor: I wasn't referring to you, Snip =(
#33 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@Mmmslash: I'm only joking.
#34 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -
@cazamalos said:
" but i'm not a gay cyborg ninja :( "
Well, color me slightly disappointed...
 
Never minded Raiden in particular.
#35 Posted by damswedon (3168 posts) -

i liked raiden, i like him more now he is a badass cyborg ninja.

#36 Edited by Canberra (1065 posts) -

@Mmmslash said:

" I, even as a rampant homosexual,"

I implore that you open more comments like this.

Also, while i don't like Riden’s "get up" I do appreciate him as like a not-a-Snake if everyone was as rugged and professional as Snake he wouldn't be special.

#37 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@Canberra said:
"I implore that you open more comments like this.

Also, while i don't like Riden’s "get up" I do appreciate him as like a not-a-Snake if everyone was as rugged and professional as Snake he wouldn't be special."

I implore you to open up more of your own comments like that, why don't you? 
 
Also, thanks for saying I'm one of your favorites, that made my day.
#38 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -

Raiden is far superior to Snake. Metal Gear Solid 2 is the best game in the series. Raiden and Solidus are the best characters in the series.

#39 Posted by Canberra (1065 posts) -
@Snipzor:
no problem
#40 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

My brain hurts due to the initial post.  And the discussion posts aren't helping.

#41 Posted by Mmmslash (2165 posts) -
@Canberra:  I, as a rampant homosexual, happily oblige.
#42 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@Mmmslash: And I, as a rampant crazy person, find joy in these statement introductions.
#43 Posted by gla55jAw (2682 posts) -

I liked Raiden back in MGS2. Having a sword was awesome. I never found him annoying or anything.

#44 Posted by JackSukeru (5816 posts) -

I liked Raiden in 4.

#45 Posted by GunstarRed (4730 posts) -

I liked Raiden in 2...probably more than 4.  I don't find him to be all that annoying... Otacon is  much more annoying when He's all like "E.E...E.E wahhhh wahhhh" He's probably one of the few characters that actually deserves their extended ending in MGS4.
#46 Posted by PillClinton (3284 posts) -

Even Kojima doesn't like Raiden, though.  He totally degraded the shit out of his character in mgs3 with the whole Col. Volgin/ man-thong thing.

#47 Edited by I_smell (3926 posts) -

Yeah but that was so fan-service.  He probably doesn't like him by now though anyway.
 
If anyone's interested, here's a little part o the Making Of that came with the game; it mentions briefly how Raiden isn't really a character as much as he's a plot device actin as the player's perspective on Snake and the whole Metal Gear fiction in general.
 
And I agree that Raiden's a huge ladyboy, but I got over it within like half an hour.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.