rainbow moon or FF ??

#1 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

after watching the quicklook earlier I have a desire to play a turn based RPG. I haven't played one in a while and have time to kill till borderlands 2 comes out. My question is should I get rainbow moon or a random FF game? Brad said the story wasn't very important and I kindof like that, since these games take so long and I usually grind and I lose track of the story. As for FF, I played 2 all the way through maybe 10 years ago, but that is the only I went completely through. A few years ago I picked up X-2 and played for several hours but I have no idea how long or were I was at or what was going on. I really have no idea what the FF story line is, I've played parts of several and watched my roommates play some, but never really cared about the story. For me it was always just about leveling up and building guys who were unstoppable.

SO what should I play

1.Rainbow moon

2.so new FF game, hopefully on PSN

3.rehook up my PS2 and pick up X-2 were ever I was.

4. Some game I haven't thought of

#2 Edited by Maystack (904 posts) -

I'd suggest Persona 3 or 4, but you said you didn't want a story heavy one. Out of all the FFs, I'd say V had the least important story but that's just opinion. I'd stay away from X-2 though, because it relies on knowledge from X, and in general it's not that good of a game (Again, in my opinion)

I don't know much about Rainbow Moon so can't chip in there.

#3 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

I watched the ER of persona and while I enjoyed watching, it never struck me as a game I would play.

It's not that I don't care about the story, as much as I want the best combat and interface.

#4 Edited by believer258 (11802 posts) -

I only saw a little bit of the Rainbow Moon Quick Look, up to the ending of the first battle, but it just looked like a shitty version of Final Fantasy Tactics.

So go play Final Fantasy Tactics and get the best of both worlds. Or Tactics Ogre.

#5 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11631 posts) -

If you have a PSP, Tactics Ogre is a pretty rad "one of those games". But if you don't, Final Fantasy X-2 is always the right answer. Always. (Final Fantasy V is pretty great if you don't care about story)

#6 Posted by crazyleaves (645 posts) -

You can get FF Tactics on PSN and it is a waaaaay better game. Rainbow Moon is okay but it doesn't even have elevation!!! Wtf, this is 2012 right?

#7 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

I got my PS2 out, I was wondering if it still worked too, and continued FF X2. The only problem is the save I found was only a few hours in. I really have no idea what I was doing but I did randomly run around and level up for awhile. So I think my new plan is to just continue to do that, play a few random hours here and there till I max everything out. Than at some point try and run through and find the end.

#8 Posted by Petiew (1345 posts) -
@BoFooQ said:

So I think my new plan is to just continue to do that, play a few random hours here and there till I max everything out. Than at some point try and run through and find the end.

Good luck with that. X-2 has a ton of specific scenes and missions that you need to find if you want to max it out. I'd say doing it in one playthrough without a walkthrough would be really really difficult. There are also a ton of dresspheres (Different classes) to level up, it'll keep you busy for a while.
#9 Posted by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I only saw a little bit of the Rainbow Moon Quick Look, up to the ending of the first battle, but it just looked like a shitty version of Final Fantasy Tactics.

So go play Final Fantasy Tactics and get the best of both worlds. Or Tactics Ogre.

It pretty much is. Its so fetch-questy and bland its unbearable.

But yeah, what this guy said. Buy FFT or Tactics Ogre. Give until it hurts, because we need another one of those.

#10 Posted by Gilsham (293 posts) -

if you have a way to play gba or ds games FFTA and FFTA2 are pretty great (I liked them more than FFT but that is probably because I played FFTA first), other SRPG(Strategy RPG) that I really like include fire emblem and Advanced Wars

#11 Posted by Addfwyn (1921 posts) -

If you haven't played FFT, I'd recommend that over Rainbow Moon anyday. Rainbow Moon is good, I enjoy it, but FFT is amazing.

I only got RM as I have already finished Disgaea 1-4, as well as FFT/TO. All of which are probably better tactical SRPG.

#12 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1383 posts) -

The Disgaea series is pretty grand if you just want to level up and destroy everything.

#13 Posted by StarvingGamer (8152 posts) -

Anyone in this thread who has not said Final Fantasy Tactics is wrong.

#14 Posted by SlapHappyJesus (120 posts) -

Always have to recommend the Tactics Ogre games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.