How does Rare stay in business?

#1 Posted by BulletStorm (487 posts) -

None of Rare's current-gen games sold really well did they? So how does Rare stay afloat?  Does parent-company Microsoft just have a thing for the friendly faces at Rare? Sure, Rare designed Avatars for microsoft and a number of the Kinect games shown, but how does that put Microsoft or Rare in the black? 

#2 Posted by Daveyo520 (6679 posts) -

They stay in business because they are Microsoft now, and they don't really need to worry.

#3 Edited by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

They are owned by Microsoft, who have tonnes of money. Plus, I'm pretty sure Viva Pinata made a decent amount of money, with the TV series, the spin-off party game and the sequel, it must have made a decent amount of money.

Edit: oh, and the DS version of viva pinata. I always forget about that, because of how weird it is for a Microsoft studio to develop a game for a Nintendo platform.

#4 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
"with both the sequel, the TV series and the spin-off party game, it must have been pretty successful. "
Can I take this moment to say that I dislike Microsoft?
#5 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -

There are probably a lot of things Rare have their hands in at Xbox that we don't even know about.  For all we know and for all Microsoft has shown the public, their toiling away at games and avatar stuff.  In reality, they could be also doing any number of things behind the scenes.  Rare could have also had some employees with great networking knowledge that are now being put to use working on Xbox Live related items.  

Many companies do a lot more than they advertise so we can't really ever know for sure, but MattyFTM said it best.

#6 Posted by ProfessorEss (7319 posts) -

I will buy every Viva Pinata game on the day of release, no questions, no research.

...not that that's keeping them in business, juss sain'.

#7 Posted by ProfessorEss (7319 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac said:
" @MattyFTM said:
"with both the sequel, the TV series and the spin-off party game, it must have been pretty successful. "
Can I take this moment to say that I dislike Microsoft? "
No issues with Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Brothers, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers, Mario RPG, Mario Tennis and Mario Sports tho? ;)
#8 Posted by Daveyo520 (6679 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
 Edit: oh, and the DS version of viva pinata. I always forget about that, because of how weird it is for a Microsoft studio to develop a game for a Nintendo platform. "
That always weirds me out too.
#9 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" @Arkthemaniac said:
" @MattyFTM said:
No issues with Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Brothers, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers, Mario RPG, Mario Tennis and Mario Sports tho? ;) "
Haha woa.  That makes it sound a lot worse then I thought.
#10 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" @Arkthemaniac said:
" @MattyFTM said:
No issues with Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Brothers, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers, Mario RPG, Mario Tennis and Mario Sports tho? ;) "
Well, those are all games.
#12 Posted by Vonocourt (2126 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac: 

#13 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Microsoft and nostalgia.

#14 Edited by ProfessorEss (7319 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac said:

Well, those are all games. "

So you're sayin it's that one cartoon that makes you hate them? 
If you want me to me to break this down I can break this down?
I'm pretty sure a quick IMDB search will create a pretty crazy and embarassing list.
#15 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" @Arkthemaniac said:

So you're sayin it's that one cartoon that makes you hate them?  If you want me to me to break this down I can break this down? I'm pretty sure a quick IMDB search will create a pretty crazy and embarassing list. "
It's that combined with the fact that Microsoft is using Rare in a very shitty fashion in my eyes. Maybe it's also because I thought Viva Pinata was retarded.
#16 Posted by ElectricBoogaloo (353 posts) -

They also did all the avatar stuff for Microsoft and have probably had a hand in Kinect. Obviously pretty valuable for MS to keep around.

#17 Posted by ProfessorEss (7319 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac said:
"It's that combined with the fact that Microsoft is using Rare in a very shitty fashion in my eyes. Maybe it's also because I thought Viva Pinata was retarded. "
Straight up difference of opinion then as I think Viva Pinata is easily one of the best, and certainly one the most refreshing new franchises of this generation.
#18 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac said:
" @ProfessorEss said:
" @Arkthemaniac said:

So you're sayin it's that one cartoon that makes you hate them?  If you want me to me to break this down I can break this down? I'm pretty sure a quick IMDB search will create a pretty crazy and embarassing list. "
It's that combined with the fact that Microsoft is using Rare in a very shitty fashion in my eyes. Maybe it's also because I thought Viva Pinata was retarded. "

#19 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Rare is more of a tool of MS now, they don't even have to make games to stay employed.  They designed the whole profitable avatar system for MS on 360, they're doing a lot on NATAL apparently.

It's like saying, how does a screwdriver make money?  It's because people use screwdrivers.

Sad, because I would like to see more actual Rare games.

#20 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

They sell drugs on street corners.

#21 Posted by Razorlution (186 posts) -

Well...they make videogames, and we buy them...thats pretty much it..

#22 Posted by BulletStorm (487 posts) -

All straightforward answers,  thanks. In any case, most suggestions are what I was thinking. Rare -> Makes games that sell okay, Stay in Business because of Microsoft. 

#23 Posted by Milkman (16657 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac said:
" @ProfessorEss said:
" @Arkthemaniac said:

It's that combined with the fact that Microsoft is using Rare in a very shitty fashion in my eyes. Maybe it's also because I thought Viva Pinata was retarded. "
Viva Pinata is actually something new and fresh, which a lot better than what Nintendo can say about most of their games lately.
#24 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

TheGreatGuero gives them his money.

#25 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree said:
" @Arkthemaniac said:
" @ProfessorEss said:
" @Arkthemaniac said:

"
You win.
#26 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -
@tdk08 said:
" @OllyOxenFree said:
" @Arkthemaniac said:
" @ProfessorEss said:
" @Arkthemaniac said:

"
You win. "
Yes, yes he does.
#27 Posted by JFetch (119 posts) -
@BulletStorm said:
" None of Rare's current-gen games sold really well did they? So how does Rare stay afloat?  Does parent-company Microsoft just have a thing for the friendly faces at Rare? Sure, Rare designed Avatars for microsoft and a number of the Kinect games shown, but how does that put Microsoft or Rare in the black?  "
Kameo sold almost a million copies, and Perfect Dark Zero sold over a million. Now they work on casual stuff for Microsoft who has more money than you can imagine.
#28 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1902 posts) -
@Atomasist said:
" They sell drugs on street corners. "
#29 Posted by Manatassi (791 posts) -

*cry*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.