Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rare, Ltd.

Company »

Rare Ltd. is an English game developer based in Leicestershire founded in 1982. After many years of being partnered with Nintendo, the studio was acquired by Microsoft in 2002.

Rare: There "isn't a need" to return to older franchises.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By apathylad

In a recent interview studio head Mark Betteridge stated there they will not revisit old franchises unless they  "saw an opportunity to make the product in a different way that would do justice to [them]." You can read some other responses via this sites Q&A piece.

I think this gives a good indication of what direction Rare, Ltd. is going to take in the future. Project Natal was discussed heavily, so I expect that Rare will develop games exclusively for it for the time being. 

Any thoughts about this? Are you disappointed at the different direction Rare has taken, and now will work on a even smaller subset of 360 owners if they work on Natal? With their last couple of games doing poorly in terms of sales, I'm afraid their Project Natal products may not do so great either.

Here's the funniest part of all this. Compare this recent Joystiq article to this one that was posted a couple months ago.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

It's hard to gauge where Rare's future lies. While their statement has me hoping they'll finally get out of their creative slump, I can't help but think they no longer have the old mojo they once had.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

Banjo Kazooie: N&B has gotten so much praise, I really need to get that game soon.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Feser

In order for Rare to be respected again, they need to make a good original IP; so as much as I like Rare I think this is the best move (even if the only original thing they are doing is helping Natal).
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Microsoft buying Rare is one of the biggest piss offs in the gaming industry, for me anyways.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I guess this throws the idea of KI3 out the window. Man. I hope this is all just to throw us off and they drop it on us at E3. But I've been hoping to see it at E3 for like the past 5 years, and haven't seen anything, so I'm not getting my hopes up again.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " I guess this throws the idea of KI3 out the window. Man. I hope this is all just to throw us off and they drop it on us at E3. But I've been hoping to see it at E3 for like the past 5 years, and haven't seen anything, so I'm not getting my hopes up again. "
    At this point, I'm not even sure I'd want to see a KI3.  Fighting games have made a lot of progress since KI2, the only redeeming quality of which was the ability to unleash idiotically long combos with the press of a few buttons.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By apathylad
    @Hailinel: 

I remember there was this funny segment on the Gamespot Hotspot where everyone was bashing Killer Instinct, except for Greg Kasavin, who tried defending it. I might to try and look for a clip.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Hailinel said:
    " @TheGreatGuero said:
    " I guess this throws the idea of KI3 out the window. Man. I hope this is all just to throw us off and they drop it on us at E3. But I've been hoping to see it at E3 for like the past 5 years, and haven't seen anything, so I'm not getting my hopes up again. "
    At this point, I'm not even sure I'd want to see a KI3.  Fighting games have made a lot of progress since KI2, the only redeeming quality of which was the ability to unleash idiotically long combos with the press of a few buttons. "
    Honestly, I haven't liked fighting games in years. The last one I enjoyed was Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, and that came out probably back in like 2003 or so. I really loved the original Killer Instinct, though I was never a big fan of the sequel. Either way, I've been holding onto this ridiculous dream that KI3 would come out and save fighting games. Deep down, I know it wouldn't happen like that, but I prefer KI's focus on playing with patterns rather than memorizing button combinations. I think perhaps going back to that could rekindle my love of the genre.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By zityz
    @Hailinel said:
    " @TheGreatGuero said:
    At this point, I'm not even sure I'd want to see a KI3.  Fighting games have made a lot of progress since KI2, the only redeeming quality of which was the ability to unleash idiotically long combos with the press of a few buttons. "

Yea despite what some people think about the franchise, I think if done right KI3 can be good. Like I mean for example I HATE mortal kombat now, ever since it went to 3d it's sucked LARGE. Even then they did an amazing job with MKvs DC and it made me give a damn about MK again. The same can be said for SF4, it's been redone in its new special way and its getting big praise.  

KI had some awesome characters, and I think a revamp could work well.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @TheGreatGuero said:
    Honestly, I haven't liked fighting games in years. The last one I enjoyed was Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, and that came out probably back in like 2003 or so. I really loved the original Killer Instinct, though I was never a big fan of the sequel. Either way, I've been holding onto this ridiculous dream that KI3 would come out and save fighting games. Deep down, I know it wouldn't happen like that, but I prefer KI's focus on playing with patterns rather than memorizing button combinations. I think perhaps going back to that could rekindle my love of the genre. "
    Games like Street Fighter IV are more than just about memorizing button combinations.  It takes more than knowing how to perform a character's special moves to get good at that game.  Ironically enough, given your comment, it was Street Fighter IV that's been widely credited for reviving interest in the genre.

Killer Instinct may have a nostalgia factor going for it, but the series has always been more about style over substance.  It was a showcase of then-high end 3D graphics with flashy, outrageous characters with absolutely nothing of substance to back it up.  Mortal Kombat is kind of similar, in that the series really gained notoriety for its depiction of violence more than its gameplay.  Gameplay that the developers have tried reinventing time and again to restore interest, and that have more often than not utterly failed at capitalizing on potential.  At this point, Killer Instinct needs more to it.  Being what it was won't suffice when pitted against the Street Fighters and BlazBlues of the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.