Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rare Replay

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 04, 2015

In celebration of their 30th anniversary, Rare brings a collection of 30 games from their back catalog to the Xbox One, from Battletoads to Viva Piñata.

Rare Replay's "Day One Patch" is 38 GB

• 62 results
    Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mustainium

Sauce.

So, if I'm reading this right, about 38 gigs worth of games will have to be downloaded (not installed), regardless if you've got a disc copy. It's similar (and equally annoying) to how the Master Chief Collection had it's multiplayer content relegated to a separate download .

Could they really not find a way to get those on disc?

MOD EDIT: Original story appears to be inaccurate, probably due to a misinterpretation of how the digital download is structured and assuming the disc setup was the same. Rare has recently clarified that all of the games are on the disc. If you're going the digital download route, it will be around 44 GB in total to download.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably some technical reasons it had to be done I guess. I still have the default drive so space is always limited if im not watching it. I was hoping this one wouldn't hit the space so hard if I got a physical copy.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I can play Viva Pinata and Trouble in Paradise if I already own the games separately, right? Those were on the initial list of games that were backwards compatible, weren't they? That's all I want out of this collection and if I already can play them without this thing, then I'll just download those.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You'd think for something like Rare Replay, which is a load of different games in one package, they'd let you pick and choose which games you want to install. So you could, for example, install Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts whilst ignoring the other two garbage entries to that franchise. (I kid. Mostly).

But I guess that makes too much sense, so let's just have everyone download 40 GB of data instead. Although that article doesn't specifically say that you need to install all of them at once, so maybe you will be able to pick and choose? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5 FinalDasa  Moderator

@lukeweizer: Yes they were, I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure those require at least some installation to play on the Xbox One.

Despite being on a Blu-Ray I imagine disc space was at a premium when you include so many 360 games. Kinda crazy that it requires so much free space though. Hopefully it'll let us pick and choose which games it installs that way I'm not always being weighed down by Battletoads.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#6 ZombiePie  Staff

I'm getting a copy of Rare Replay, and there are no doubts about that. For most I can only anticipate that being able to pick and choose which games you can install would be preferable to just installing all of the games at once. For me I'm downloading all of them regardless of the download size. I bought the package, and as a consumer should be able to enjoy any game from the package whenever I feel like it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Edited your thread title to put the size of the patch in instead of "quite large"

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

According to the collection's listing on the Xbox website, the game requires a minimum of 11.26 GB free on your Xbox One's hard drive. However, the Xbox 360 games in the collection are not on the Rare Replay disc. Instead, they'll be added to your download queue and you'll have to install 38 GB more to your hard drive.

That makes sense. It is 30 games after all. And they probably figured, why give them 2 or 3 discs, when we can just give them licenses for digital downloads for the 360 games. The disc will have all the older games that aren't in digital format, yet. So that makes me think you can pick and and choose which ones you want to download. I ended up pre ordering this from the microsoft store for $25 on sale they had, and got $15 in xbl credit for doing so. I have only played two games in this bundle. So I'm looking forward to it.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as long as bad fur day is the uncut n64 game am happy.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's an awful lot in that collection but, at this point, why even bother with a disc release?

ljbrewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ljbrewer

Good to know ahead of time. I can save that money for Mario Maker.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Humanity

So are all the people living in data-capped countries bringing their consoles to work in order to download this patch?

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rkofan87:The screenshot they have on the official store page looks like it's from the N64 version so it looks like it.

No Caption Provided

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sterling

@neocalypso: @rkofan87: I read an article last week where they confirmed it was the N64 version. Saying something like they didn't feel the other version was true to their vision of the game or something. But I can't seem to find it now.

Here it is, over on gamespot.

Thomas also had some good news about the version of Conker's Bad Fur Day included with Rare Replay. Rather than offer the Live & Reloaded Xbox remake, which censored numerous parts of the game, Rare Replay offers the original N64 game.

"We did have a good old think about which of the versions we'd prefer to use but as we're trying to tell the story of characters created at Rare we'd prefer to start any tail at the beginning," Thomas said. "We felt that the Xbox version altered a little too much, whereas Banjo and Tooie are both the XBLA versions as we felt that not only did they stick to the original but made them look exceptional at the same time."

This likely means that the game won't offer online multiplayer, though.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

lol

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By MEATBALL

This is totally something I was worried would be the case. It really annoys me. When I'm buying a physical copy I want those games on disc, whether that requires multiple discs or not. At least the Master Chief Collection had all of its games' campaigns? I understand the logic, and at least the game has a budget price, but this sort of thing is enough to turn me off what otherwise would have been an automatic purchase. Now I'll likely at least wait until it's cheap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this game was already on the maybe fence for me, as there are already too many new games coming out this year. Now it's definitely a buy later down the rode.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By whitegreyblack

In that case, why even bother pressing discs? It's lose-lose. Microsoft has increased costs, and people (like me) who want their disc-based games to, at the very least, install from the disc will be ticked off.

edit: Nevermind - turns out the OP is oncorrect

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rkofan87

@sterling said:

@neocalypso: @rkofan87: I read an article last week where they confirmed it was the N64 version. Saying something like they didn't feel the other version was true to their vision of the game or something. But I can't seem to find it now.

Thomas also had some good news about the version of Conker's Bad Fur Day included with Rare Replay. Rather than offer the Live & Reloaded Xbox remake, which censored numerous parts of the game, Rare Replay offers the original N64 game.

"We did have a good old think about which of the versions we'd prefer to use but as we're trying to tell the story of characters created at Rare we'd prefer to start any tail at the beginning," Thomas said. "We felt that the Xbox version altered a little too much, whereas Banjo and Tooie are both the XBLA versions as we felt that not only did they stick to the original but made them look exceptional at the same time."

cool thanks.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Looking at the digital pre-order for this game, they are in fact packaging all of the 360 games as separate downloads. My assumption is that you'll be able to pick and choose which ones you download, and they might just install as completely separate games that don't have to be launched from within Rare Replay. I guess we'll find out next week.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By zombie2011

So excited for this, totally forgot it was coming out so soon!

As for the download size it makes sense, having the 360 games just be a download. Probably means i can pick and choose which ones i want, which could be useful. Viva Pinata 2 refined Viva Pinata so i really don't see myself wanting to play the original. Hopefully i can just not download that one.

Also is this really considered a patch?

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Probably has more to do with the fact that emulating Xbox games are harder than N64 games. But I appreciate the sentiment, although I would have prefered the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuur from the rremake.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I think I read that achievements will carry over if you unlocked them on the 360 game, which to me sounds like they're literally just emulating the game with whatever is going on in their backend having the same title ID. I was really hoping I could unlock the Nuts n Bolts achievements all over again.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like the disc is littler more than an authenticator for the Xbox 360 emulation. Meaning there probably isn't any difference from putting Rare Replay versus putting in a Viva Pinata 360 disc (which you have to download the game before you play). Well, besides being able to play those 360 games on non-preview systems.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the 360 games just seem to done through BC, why do I have to wait to play the rest of my 360 games via BC when they're already selling it to me through this?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ruff. Thanks the gods for fast internet connection.

This'll be the...eh...third game I'm buying for Xbone then! Money well spent, I suppose!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Um that isn't a patch.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recall, in vivid technicolor, a time when it was possible to install a game once off-disc and then play it in the immediate following period.

SaltyKind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe to keep the price down to $40 for 30 different games they had to make some kind of compromises? As long as we can pick and choose which we would like to download, I really don't see much of a problem.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll take this opportunity to again say that the Destiny blurays you bought at a store at launch was literally the summer beta burned on a disc. The rest was a patch.

Put the bluray in without an internet connection and you get a message welcoming you to the beta during install.

At this point we can just be happy that there is data at all on the disc.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@honkalot: Destiny is a bit of a different situation since that game can only be played online.

The reality of gaming in 2015 is that it's pretty hard to play anything without an internet connection. It sucks for some people that would like to just pop in a disc and go, but that's just how it is.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

@ljbrewer said:

Good to know ahead of time. I can save that money for Mario Maker.

Please don't pretend you were going to buy it until you heard about the space requirements. You just wanted to post that you were buying a Nintendo game instead.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sauce.

So, if I'm reading this right, about 38 gigs worth of games will have to be downloaded (not installed), regardless if you've got a disc copy. It's similar (and equally annoying) to how the Master Chief Collection had it's multiplayer content relegated to a separate download .

So what happens for people who buy this game and can't use an internet connection? Does the game itself tell you that it has to connect online? Does the packaging warn about this fact?

One day, there will be something seriously ironic about not being able to play this archival collection of classic video games, because the disc can no longer connect to Microsoft's now defunct online service.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody know if the DLC for the games will be included in the package (I am thinking of the Nuts and Bolts DLC)?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Gotta fit all those high res googly eyes in somehow.

Avatar image for sepulturafanboy89
    Sepulturafanboy89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And there's why I don't have a next gen or current gen console it would take me fucking years to download that "patch" with my shitty ass Verizon connection

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnlocke: yes it will. Rare tweeted the following just after the announcement in reply to the very same question;

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's less of a "Day One Patch" and more of a "Day One download the entire game".

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is unfortunate but I am super excited for this package, and ALL of the Banjo games since they are ALL great games. NO I'm not butthurt at ALL about people shitting on Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, not one bit.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

So I didn't look into it when it waswas first announced, but it's quickly sounding like a game I will not be able to just borrow out to a friend, am I correct or no?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when you have that many games, a lot of them using a new technology to get it to work on current consoles a large patch isnt crazy surprising.

sucks for slow internet people but this isnt anything new.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I watched a bit of a stream that Rare did on GameStop's Twitch channel, and it's evident that the 360 games are definitely using the same setup as other backwards compatible 360 games (it did the whole 360 boot process when they started Banjo-Kazooie). However, they did launch the game through Rare Replay, so it's still not clear if you can pick and choose which to download or possibly launch straight from your Xbox One game library.

Unrelated to that, the overall packaging on Rare Replay looks very nice. They clearly spent a lot of time on the menus and presentation, and it all looks great. There's some newly recorded interviews along with all of the requisite concept art. They also added "snapshot" challenges for all of the NES and ZX Spectrum games that put you directly into one particular segment of the game with a specific objective to complete - one of the examples they showed off was the Turbo Tunnel level of Battletoads converted into an infinite runner.

Also, Rare is doing a stream on their own Twitch channel tomorrow where they're going to debut a new "modernized" control layout added to Jet Force Gemini. JFG hype!

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cloudymusic

@chaser324: The product page for Rare Replay says that all of those games will be available via standard BC for non-Rare Replay owners starting in the fall. As far as I can tell, the "Rare Replay" app is just a container for all of the pre-360 games, and then the 360 games are just standard backwards-compatible game installs. (I also just noticed that the thing you actually buy is technically a bundle that contains the "Rare Replay" game, plus standalone copies of all of the Xbox 360 games.)

I'm probably more excited for this than I should be. It's just such a good bargain, though.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sauce.

The 360 games are said to be included on the disc if you get that version.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By ch3burashka

Bitching about 108kb unlock codes is quaint compared to a 108kb disc.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched a bit of a stream that Rare did on GameStop's Twitch channel, and it's evident that the 360 games are definitely using the same setup as other backwards compatible 360 games (it did the whole 360 boot process when they started Banjo-Kazooie). However, they did launch the game through Rare Replay, so it's still not clear if you can pick and choose which to download or possibly launch straight from your Xbox One game library.

Unrelated to that, the overall packaging on Rare Replay looks very nice. They clearly spent a lot of time on the menus and presentation, and it all looks great. There's some newly recorded interviews along with all of the requisite concept art. They also added "snapshot" challenges for all of the NES and ZX Spectrum games that put you directly into one particular segment of the game with a specific objective to complete - one of the examples they showed off was the Turbo Tunnel level of Battletoads converted into an infinite runner.

Also, Rare is doing a stream on their own Twitch channel tomorrow where they're going to debut a new "modernized" control layout added to Jet Force Gemini. JFG hype!

the quick look for this is gonna be epic

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By flameboy84
    bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

I figured the 360 games would just be using the emulation as the exact list of them all happened to be on the backwards compatibility list.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By MEATBALL

@honkalot said:

I'll take this opportunity to again say that the Destiny blurays you bought at a store at launch was literally the summer beta burned on a disc. The rest was a patch.

Put the bluray in without an internet connection and you get a message welcoming you to the beta during install.

At this point we can just be happy that there is data at all on the disc.

Hahaha. That's kind of why I simply didn't bother buying Destiny on disc, particularly since I'd need to be online to play it at all anyway. A physical purchase didn't make much sense to me because even if all of the game's data had been on disc without an internet connection it would be useless anyway.

Rare Replay is a little bit of a different case, being a large collection of largely single-player/single-player focused games. On the bright side, I suppose there's still a point to owning a physical copy of Rare Replay even if it doesn't include everything on disc? But yeah, I'll be holding off until I can pick it up cheaper.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.