General R&C Discussion Shizzle™

#1 Posted by Glottery (1181 posts) -

Roight! Thanks to Hizang for showing me the error of my ways. Guess I can't delete the already existing thread I made, but I guess it can just as well collect some dust on it and disppear into the depths of PS3-section.

Earlier today I figured that food isn't that important for me, so I took a couple of old games and movies in exchange to get me some HDfied action. Going to give it a go later today and most likely post some comments sometime after that, if I remember, that is. Should be in for a good platforming experience, from what I've heard!

Bit of a bummer that it won't be out in the US 'till September. Expecting that "very special" surprise to be something along the lines of Mega-Ultra-Collection box with both PS3 games and the HD collection added to that. But since PS3 games region free (right?) I'm kinda hoping the GB Crew wil get them a copy from Europe so they can make a review/QL earlier than this Fall.

#2 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@JMatrix: It would be cool if that super mega ultra thing is Ratchet Deadlocked/Gladiator, or even the two PSP games.

If you haven't played any of these games I recommend it, there all awesome games.

#3 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Well, because US might be getting some extra goodies I probably won't be picking this up for a while. Some of my favorite games, although I never played the online multiplayer. Oh well, I can't wait to do the 200-level gauntlet in true 1080p. I literally failed on level 199 last time, I'll do better now. 

Also I can't believe just how crappy old PS2 games look without component cables on HD screens. And the R&C series has some really severe emulation issues too. I guess Sony played their cards right by using that weird processor structure in the PS2 and what not, because those HD collections must be selling like candy.

#4 Posted by Glottery (1181 posts) -

Wowzerz. If not counting for less detailed, but still nice looking visuals (the designs are still great and colorful, with very impressive animation for a game that old) when compared to newer R&C games, I've had a blast playing the first one so far! It plays almost exactly the same like the new ones, with some of them controls being just a bit less smooth. But from what I've heard, everything should get even better in the second and third game. Except for the soundtrack, I'd guess, because it's already damn groovy! Too bad that my 16 years old-self never had the chance to play these games when they were new...but eh, better late than never!

#5 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I've never bought the Ryno. What am I missing out on every game?

#6 Posted by Lava (665 posts) -

@MistaSparkle: The most bad-ass weapon in the history of weaponry. It's the beat all weapon of the game. Totally worth your time to see what it does. I would say it's the best in Up Your Arsenal.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11771 posts) -

@MistaSparkle said:

I've never bought the Ryno. What am I missing out on every game?

Apart from the Groovitron, it's pretty much the best weapon in the history of video game-dom. There's a very good reason it's generally so hard to get.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@MistaSparkle: Its the best weapon in all of the games, although impossible to get on your first play through unless you do some serious grinding.

#9 Posted by Glottery (1181 posts) -

Myeah, no Ryno for me during my first playthrough...100.000 bolts, was it? Noooope...

Anyways, nearly 10 hours put in the first game, still loving it! Why can't they make platformers as good as these ones anymore?! But then again, at least it feels even better when it's this 'rare'. I'm also feeling very joyful due to the fact that there'll be two other (assumedly even better than this one) games for me to play right after I've finished this one! Life is guuuuuuuuuuuuuuud~

#10 Edited by Glottery (1181 posts) -

Oh man...let me take back some of my previous praise. The final boss in the first game? Oh boy, what a huuuuuge piece of shit. Nearly twenty years of gaming and I think this is the only boss, where I'm soon forced to (supposedly, with my luck) restart the whole level, by going to different planets to grind more bolts, because I've soon fucking ran out of money due to so many attempts on killing this fucker! Best attempth had him at somewhere between 1-5% before I died. Now this encounter *maybe* wouldn't be this painful, *if* it wouldn't reset itself to (almost) the very start, even if I die in the last phase. Or at least get rid of that goddamnd flinging I have to do each time, over and over again.

Ugh, summoning my "Dark Vinny" with this thing. Hopefully I won't end up in a situation, where I just leave this one to rot and watch the ending from Youtube, then just skip to the sequel...

Edit; Oh, so there is a way to increase the amount of your health...well shite. I guess I have to blame myself a bit then, for not sticking to my "gonna explore all zones before progressing" plan. Should make this easier.

#11 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@JMatrix: I don't know if you have it already but I recommend you track down the portable vendor, its more expensive so only use it for the final boss fight. I do agree though the boss fight can be brutal if you don't know what your doing.

#12 Posted by Heltom92 (707 posts) -

Oh I didn't realize this game was coming out so late in the US, just finished the first one the other day and it's still great (apart from not being able to strafe properly).

@JMatrix said:

Oh man...let me take back some of my previous praise. The final boss in the first game? Oh boy, what a huuuuuge piece of shit. Nearly twenty years of gaming and I think this is the only boss, where I'm soon forced to (supposedly, with my luck) restart the whole level, by going to different planets to grind more bolts, because I've soon fucking ran out of money due to so many attempts on killing this fucker! Best attempth had him at somewhere between 1-5% before I died. Now this encounter *maybe* wouldn't be this painful, *if* it wouldn't reset itself to (almost) the very start, even if I die in the last phase. Or at least get rid of that goddamnd flinging I have to do each time, over and over again.

Ugh, summoning my "Dark Vinny" with this thing. Hopefully I won't end up in a situation, where I just leave this one to rot and watch the ending from Youtube, then just skip to the sequel...

Edit; Oh, so there is a way to increase the amount of your health...well shite. I guess I have to blame myself a bit then, for not sticking to my "gonna explore all zones before progressing" plan. Should make this easier.

Yea on Planet Orxon there is a vendor where you can get 4 more health, it's really useful for the final boss.

#13 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@Heltom92: I'm finding it really awkward without strafing, especially shooting while running back. I can't remember if this gets addressed in RAC 2 or 3.

#14 Posted by Heltom92 (707 posts) -

@Hizang: Yea I can't remember exactly but I am pretty sure they added it in 2.

It's so awkward trying to shoot in 1. Still a great game though imo.

#15 Posted by Glottery (1181 posts) -

@Heltom92 said:

Oh I didn't realize this game was coming out so late in the US, just finished the first one the other day and it's still great (apart from not being able to strafe properly).

@JMatrix said:

Yea on Planet Orxon there is a vendor where you can get 4 more health, it's really useful for the final boss.

Yup...and apparently there's a gadget as well, that allows you to buy ammo, no matter the location...yeah, guess I'm too spoiled by 'modern' games, what comes to not being told where to get all of the useful stuff and so on, instead of trying to search for them yourself. Oh well! Should go smoother this time around. But yeah, shooting is pretty clunky when compared to R&C games on PS3. But I've also heard that it gets a lot better in 2 and 3. Though you can always try doing some pretty poor strafing with your jetpack as well, when you start hoovering above ground.

#16 Posted by Kierkegaard (582 posts) -

@Lava said:

@MistaSparkle: The most bad-ass weapon in the history of weaponry. It's the beat all weapon of the game. Totally worth your time to see what it does. I would say it's the best in Up Your Arsenal.

UYA the best RYNO? Gotta disagree with you there. That one is great until you upgrade it and it goes from launching missiles to disintegrating enemies with a delayed nuclear event. I loved the RYNO 2 from GC, where the rockets locked on to enemies individuals and had a really satisfying *thud* to them.

#17 Posted by Glottery (1181 posts) -

Awwww yeahhhh...after havin played for about two hours, I can say that Going Commando is, like....uuh...crazy awesome? Feels sooooo much better on every aspect when compared to the first one. I'm sure there'll be some nasty levels/encounters in this one as well to get me frustrated, but at least it plays-out a lot better now. I'm off to play some more slot machines!

#18 Posted by Lava (665 posts) -

@Kierkegaard said:

@Lava said:

UYA the best RYNO? Gotta disagree with you there. That one is great until you upgrade it and it goes from launching missiles to disintegrating enemies with a delayed nuclear event. I loved the RYNO 2 from GC, where the rockets locked on to enemies individuals and had a really satisfying *thud* to them.

I really liked the disintegration. Just launching a missile and completely obliterating everything on screen was so satisfying to me.

#19 Posted by Kierkegaard (582 posts) -

@Lava said:

@Kierkegaard said:

@Lava said:

I really liked the disintegration. Just launching a missile and completely obliterating everything on screen was so satisfying to me.

Ha, well, to each their own. Man, october can't come fast enough. I just remembered the satisfaction of the tesla coil's arcing lighting ball strolling through a group of aliens...

#20 Posted by Enai (185 posts) -

Trying to platinum number 1 at the mo. I haven't played this game since I was like 12 and it's still awesome. Nostalgia trip big time.

#21 Posted by ajamafalous (11929 posts) -

Mannnnnn. R&C is easily my favorite PS2 series. Really wish I had a PS3 so I could pick this up, because, as someone else said, the emulation is unplayable.

#22 Posted by Glottery (1181 posts) -

Finished the second game a while ago, what an awesome experience! If only it would've lasted like...[xx] hours longer! Though I guess they were already pushing PS2 to it's limits with this one, with so much stuff to do. Also, again, I have to admire the HD update they managed to give this baby. If ignoring the non-updated cutscenes, less detailed characters models and stuff, this could've easily been a launch game for PS3.

Going to fire up the third game later today or tomorrow. I was very pleased with how much they improved between this and the first game, but now I wouldn't mind if the third one would be almost exactly like this game, but with new levels! (As I imagine it just might be.)

#23 Posted by Allprox (540 posts) -

It seems like a really lazy port if I'm honest. I get the feeling they didn't have anyone play through it at least once with some of the obvious things that have cropped up. I've ran into a few glitches and bugs where certain events didn't trigger or happen, like simply not getting the 2 million bolts after beating the impossible challenge in R&C2 or when a jump pad wouldn't launch me high enough for the purpose it was intended. But the audio and graphical issues are far worse. Missing textures and audio, BMG not looping properly, 3D models not rendering properly, audio samples playing back in the wrong order, the vendor in R&C1 appearing crushed etc... I also just ran into this in R&C3 after messing around with the ship vendor.

So yeah that made me snap and come here to complain to the 4 or 5 people who see this and who probably don't care anyway :D but as someone who played the crap out of these games back when they were released, I am super disappointed with how this HDifying turned out.

#24 Posted by Allprox (540 posts) -

And it crashed just there trying to load up a Qwark vid-comic. I think I might be done playing these.

#25 Posted by Glottery (1181 posts) -

That's unfortunate. I didn't really experience any glitches and had just some minor issues, like audio cutting off towards the end of a conversation (and that only happened in CG, me thinks). Don't think I experienced any gamestoppers or crashing either.

Anyhoo, I'm personally more than satisfied with this HD collection. I never played the original ones, so I guess my opinion could be different in that case, but as it is now, I spent nearly three weeks doing some very satisfying platforming and shooting! Some minor complaints could be said about checkpoint issues in 1&2 and 'bout the "meh" plot in the first game, but during around 45 hours of gametime, those were very minor things, I can assure you!

At the moment I'm a bit tempted to go and buy the future trilogy again, but we'll see. If only they'd release Crash Bandicoot Trilogy HDfied...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.