I don't know about you guys, but I think these are bad ports.

#1 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

So I'm just over halfway through this collection, I finished Ratchet and Clank and am now currently about 3/4's of the way through Locked and Loaded. I think I've given it enough time now but god damn does this collection have issues. The frame rate gets really bad at times, I've been in large fire fights that just slow right the fuck down. On multiple occasions I've had the game to freeze for about 1 second during cutscenes, but the audio keeps going, so the rest of the cutscene has the audio 1 second ahead. This has happened so many times, its happening a lot more in Locked and Loaded. As I mentioned in another post, the vendor in Ratchet and Clank was not re-done in HD and is just ripped from the first game, so he looks out of proportion. This is also when you look at Ratchet in the menu, also in Locked and Loaded whenever your watching Mr Fizz talk on a screen he is also not in HD so looks super weird. I've also noticed in a few spots that if you travel to somewhere with a cutscene, it will load the game in first for about 1 second, then play the cutscene then go back to the game, super weird.

But aside from all of the above, the game actually holds up nicely. As with Sly Cooper its art style ages nicely, it still plays really well too and it just shows us how there are literally no more games like this anymore.

#2 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

@Hizang: Another quick cash-grab HD collection? I'm chocked.

Seriously though; Ratchet & Clank was one of my favorite franchises on the PS2, and even if I don't own a PS3 and will never own this collection, I'm sad to see Sony pissing on yet another re-release.

#3 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Cincaid: I have yet to try Up Your Arsenal, that has the multiplayer mode so I'm looking forward to trying out that.

#4 Edited by MEATBALL (3409 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

@Hizang: Another quick cash-grab HD collection? I'm chocked.

Seriously though; Ratchet & Clank was one of my favorite franchises on the PS2, and even if I don't own a PS3 and will never own this collection, I'm sad to see Sony pissing on yet another re-release.

As far as I can tell this is the first time a Sony HD Collection has been bad. I'm really not sure where you're getting the "Sony pissing on yet another re-release" thing from. The God of War Collections, ICO & SotC Collection, Sly Trilogy and Jak & Daxter collection have all been great.

#5 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

That's sad to hear, I've been waiting for ages for the HD re-release. I guess I'll rent it first.

#6 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

@MEATBALL: Sorry, mostly bad wording on my part, but didn't mean Sony directly pissing on "yet another of their" HD collections, but rather that they didn't learn from other publishers' mistakes.

#7 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

It's defiantly worth playing, it's a lot cheaper than new games, the games themselves are great. It's just lots of little things, so nothing too big, but a lot of little things.

#8 Posted by Hunter5024 (5912 posts) -

Well damn. I've only played the ps3 games and I was considering picking this up. I wonder if they'll patch some of that stuff. Doubt it.

#9 Posted by ZoomyRamen (237 posts) -

I've had zero issues with them. Great Collection.

#10 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Hizang said:

It's defiantly worth playing, it's a lot cheaper than new games, the games themselves are great. It's just lots of little things, so nothing too big, but a lot of little things.

You are such a rebel, being all defiant in your playing of the game.

I have never played a single Ratchet or Daxter game in my life and for some reason, even with a stuidly cheap price on the PS2 or PSP, I still can't get myself to care. Did I really miss anything?

#11 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@Contrarian I would put atleast 2 of them on my top games of all time list. Ratchet and Clank 3 is probbaly the best.
#12 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Contrarian I would put atleast 2 of them on my top games of all time list. Ratchet and Clank 3 is probbaly the best.

But I don't really enjoy Nintendo platformers like Mario as it is, so I just figured these would do even less for me.

#13 Posted by killacam (1286 posts) -

@MEATBALL said:

@Cincaid said:

@Hizang: Another quick cash-grab HD collection? I'm chocked.

Seriously though; Ratchet & Clank was one of my favorite franchises on the PS2, and even if I don't own a PS3 and will never own this collection, I'm sad to see Sony pissing on yet another re-release.

As far as I can tell this is the first time a Sony HD Collection has been bad. I'm really not sure where you're getting the "Sony pissing on yet another re-release" thing from. The God of War Collections, ICO & SotC Collection, Sly Trilogy and Jak & Daxter collection have all been great.

silent hill.

#14 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I don't buy HD collections because I can just play the games on PC and make them look and run better. It's so dumb you can pick up MGS2 for £2 and stick it in a PC and get a better looking game than the HD collection which is what, 10x the price?

#15 Posted by JTB123 (1050 posts) -

@Contrarian said:

@Hizang said:

It's defiantly worth playing, it's a lot cheaper than new games, the games themselves are great. It's just lots of little things, so nothing too big, but a lot of little things.

You are such a rebel, being all defiant in your playing of the game.

I have never played a single Ratchet or Daxter game in my life and for some reason, even with a stuidly cheap price on the PS2 or PSP, I still can't get myself to care. Did I really miss anything?

I would say so, the first two R&C games are simply amazing, they're one of the only examples of a 3D platformer that really nails it. If you have a PS2 then I'd say at least check out the first two games, they really are great games.

#16 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -
@Cincaid

@MEATBALL: Sorry, mostly bad wording on my part, but didn't mean Sony directly pissing on "yet another of their" HD collections, but rather that they didn't learn from other publishers' mistakes.

I'd argue they did but in a negative sense. They realized that you can take an old, loved franchise, shit on a disc, call it HD Collection and people will buy it.

@killacam Silent Hill has nothing to do with Sony.
#17 Posted by impartialgecko (1699 posts) -

The framerate bogs? Seriously? That engine was one of the fastest on the PS2, both the R&C games and the Jak series had really smooth framerates because Naughty Dog and Insomniac were sharing tech. Who did the remaster? If it was Blu-Point then I'm shocked because they do stellar work.

#18 Posted by Castiel (2705 posts) -

@Sooty: Only you can't get Rachet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, The Sly Trilogy or Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to PC so there is that.

#19 Posted by killacam (1286 posts) -

@Rappelsiini said:

@Cincaid

@MEATBALL: Sorry, mostly bad wording on my part, but didn't mean Sony directly pissing on "yet another of their" HD collections, but rather that they didn't learn from other publishers' mistakes.

I'd argue they did but in a negative sense. They realized that you can take an old, loved franchise, shit on a disc, call it HD Collection and people will buy it.

@killacam Silent Hill has nothing to do with Sony.

YOU have nothing to do with sony

#20 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Castiel said:

@Sooty: Only you can't get Rachet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, The Sly Trilogy or Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to PC so there is that.

I'm talking about emulation, I already have some of those games on PS2 so I can just load them on my PC and get better results than these HD collections put out.

I did that for my copy of Persona 3. It looks great on the emulator, also loads faster. I have my PC hooked up to a TV for when I want the couch experience so I do that when playing PS2 games, I also don't have to use a wired pad because my wireless 360 pad works, glorious! I still keep my PS2 around though, just in case.

#21 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -
@killacam Don't remind me! You know I'm self concious about my relationship with Sony, or lack of it.
#22 Posted by Glottery (1364 posts) -

Only a few minor problems experienced here, like mentioned in the other thread. Really loved all three games. Now I should just buy the ICO/SoTC collection and that upcoming Okami-HD version, then I've played all them games I bought for PS2, back when I had it for an year and a half or so. Or well, add an HD-version of Ghosthunter to that (with better controls) and then I'm satisfied.

#23 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

I wonder how much they can fix via patches. I've been wanting to see a R&C HD Collection since HD Collections became a thing. Sad to hear it's kinda rubbish.

#24 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I've about halfway into Ratchet and Clank 3 and its plagued with similar issues, if not more audio issues. It still has the audio lag in cutscenes but so far in almost every single loading screen to.

#25 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (502 posts) -

Sucks to hear but expected. A lot of these HD re-packs deserve better (more features, easter eggs, polish)

#26 Posted by believer258 (12110 posts) -

The PS2 versions had no slowdown from what I remember.

#27 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Now that this has been released in the states, I'm bumping this as I'm curious to see if your version is any different.

#28 Edited by sodacat (217 posts) -

@Hizang: It sounds like it's about the same. I've noticed the cutscene stutter a few times, but it usually only happens at the very end of a cutscene, and only in RC3. Other things I've noticed:

  • All of the Gadgetron vendors on the Gadgetron world in RC1 play a horrid screeching sound when you access them
  • If a sound effect plays while you're switching between tubes in the hacker minigame in RC3, then that sound effect will get stuck and play endlessly until you complete the minigame.
  • The viewscreen characters in RC2&3 are widescreen versions which have been squished down to fullscreen proportions, and then presented in widescreen anyways. I can not even begin to imagine what causes this.
  • Pretty much every transparency in all three games is broken. This is at its worst in RC3, where shields look like spinning squares and most enemy laser-blasts are two red bisected rectangles.
  • I have to play the PS2 version again, but I swore that there was a shader on liquids in RC2 in that game. There very obviously is not in the HD version, and lava looks like neon koolaid
  • I actually had to turn off RC3 on the Holostudios level last night when the game started coming apart on me. Certain projectile types would not appear on screen (like the spinning blade) and when I tried to fire the sniper rifle while looking through the scope the entire screen would turn red.
#29 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@sodacat: It's a shame, these games deserved better.

#30 Posted by TheHBK (5554 posts) -

@sodacat: From the sound of that, they might be emulating the games rather than having ported them. As games go through the life of a console, devs use more and more tricks on the console to get graphics they want and that becomes more apparent in emulation.

#31 Posted by spiceninja (3065 posts) -

I'm almost done with Ratchet and Clank and the only thing I've noticed is the slow down but I'm almost certain that it did that in the PS2 version too. It's not like the framerate gets really choppy, it's just like you're playing in slow motion. And it only happens in huge fights so it's not a big deal to me. I did notice the shield on the boss in the Quark obstacle course level looks a little weird. Like it's not rendered properly or something.

Online
#32 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I remember the ps2 version having some Framerate issues.

#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10336 posts) -

@MEATBALL said:

@Cincaid said:

@Hizang: Another quick cash-grab HD collection? I'm chocked.

Seriously though; Ratchet & Clank was one of my favorite franchises on the PS2, and even if I don't own a PS3 and will never own this collection, I'm sad to see Sony pissing on yet another re-release.

As far as I can tell this is the first time a Sony HD Collection has been bad. I'm really not sure where you're getting the "Sony pissing on yet another re-release" thing from. The God of War Collections, ICO & SotC Collection, Sly Trilogy and Jak & Daxter collection have all been great.

I can only speak from experience on the Sly Trilogy but aside from the gorgeous visuals that wasn't a very good port at all. It added a lot of issues to the game, most noticeably ALL the timing on the rhythm game boss fight are out of sync with the music, making a retarded easy section of the game into a maddening gauntlet of misery. God of War Collection has a lot of ugly UI assets like this game seems to have too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.