Could I jump into this?

#1 Posted by Soap (3609 posts) -

I understand this is a long running series and I'm kind of interested in this game, mostly just to get some more damn use out of my PS3 but also because Quest for Booty looks pretty cool and the fact a sequel is coming next year.

Now, I played about half to three quarters of the original back when it came out but haven't played any of the others, will I be able to jump into this without the other games in the series or am I going to either A) read a lot of Wiki pages or B) go back and find the older games?

thanks in advanced.

#2 Posted by Boyling (185 posts) -

This is my first Ratchet & Clank game, and so far I've no fucking idea what's going on, but I don't really care. It's just fun!

#3 Posted by MattyFTM (14417 posts) -

The storyline of ratchet (or most platformers) isn't exactly the most important thing in the game. I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up as you go along.

#4 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

It's kind of a reboot anyway, basically you need to know that R&C have saved the galaxy 3 times beforehand. I remember you saying that you are a big Jak fan so your probably going to like R&C.

#5 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -
The story isn't one of the most important parts of R&C, but for the most part, each game had a different story.
#6 Posted by Soap (3609 posts) -
Otacon said:
"It's kind of a reboot anyway, basically you need to know that R&C have saved the galaxy 3 times beforehand. I remember you saying that you are a big Jak fan so your probably going to like R&C."
Yeah, I loved all the Jak games which is why I thought I'd give this ago ( I don't know why I've always kind of thought of Ratchet and Clank games and Jak games to be almost there own genre lol)

I suppose I'll just miss out on some of the jokes from previous games, guess I can just wiki the story though, thanks guys.
#7 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

It is good fun tho soap - although my mrs now stole my ps3 from me and i can barely get on whenever shes around :(

#8 Posted by MattyFTM (14417 posts) -
Soap said:
"Otacon said:
"It's kind of a reboot anyway, basically you need to know that R&C have saved the galaxy 3 times beforehand. I remember you saying that you are a big Jak fan so your probably going to like R&C."
Yeah, I loved all the Jak games which is why I thought I'd give this ago ( I don't know why I've always kind of thought of Ratchet and Clank games and Jak games to be almost there own genre lol)

I suppose I'll just miss out on some of the jokes from previous games, guess I can just wiki the story though, thanks guys."
Yeah, Ratchet & Jak are combat based platformers, which is quite diferent to your standard mario/crash/other traditional platformers.
#9 Posted by solidphoenix (286 posts) -

Every Ratchet and Clank game is easily accessible due to the easy to learn controls, great gameplay and tight storyline that is unique to the title. Of course, with Quest for Booty you won't get what's happening due to the cliffhanger ending to Tools of Destruction. Now that being said if you're interested in getting into the series now is the best time because the next big game will be following on from the storyline of this one.

#10 Posted by tds418 (190 posts) -

I hadn't played any of the previous R&C games  and I had no trouble understanding this one.

#11 Posted by Lozz (311 posts) -

I don't think its unplayable, the story is pretty simple and most of characters are new. There are however a lot of hidden jokes and easter eggs that newcomers won't get but its nothing that hinders the fun of the game. You can get the first 4 games pretty cheap now if your PS3 is backwards compatible, I recommend R&C: Up Your Arsenal, definitely my favorite.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.