Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ratchet & Clank

Franchise »

The Ratchet & Clank series developed by Insomniac Games continues its success, by giving the fans the best from the previous installments, but also improving on the major gameplay elements.

How connected is the PS2 era to the PS3?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I love Ratchet and Clank and played a lot of the PS2 games but didn't really get that much into the story for the earlier games. I'm going to make my way through the PS3 games (I've already played ToD) but would like to know if I should go back and play the PS2 games to understand the story more, wait for the HD collection (if it comes out), play the PS3 games now and go back to the originals later or just not worry about it and continue playing on the PS3.

Thanks.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By kindgineer

I didn't find myself missing out on anything when I played the PS3 games - but i've never played the PS2's.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pazy

Those games have a story? Ive played all of them, bar Crack in Time, but they all seem pretty self contained really. The PS3 games have a little bit of an arc so maybe you play them in order but it just seems to be "Evil man do evil thing, Ratchet and Clank go after him while levelling disco balls".

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Pazy said:

Those games have a story? Ive played all of them, bar Crack in Time, but they all seem pretty self contained really. The PS3 games have a little bit of an arc so maybe you play them in order but it just seems to be "Evil man do evil thing, Ratchet and Clank go after him while levelling disco balls".

Haha, yeah, maybe I didn't get into the story because there wasn't one to get into. xD

How long ago did you play the original trilogy? Do they hold up?

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

No you won't need to- the PS3 Ratchet and Clanks had their own story arc while the PS2 story lines were almost completely stand-alone. There are definitely occasional references to the PS2 games, but they are mostly humorous references that have little to no direct influence on the PS3 story arc.

The only major link between any of the PS2 stories to the PS3 arc would be with Up Your Arsenal- as it introduced Dr. Nefarious, the only recurring villain the series has seen (Unless you count Qwark being a villain in the first and arguably second PS2 games, but he barely counts. :P ). But you'd only need to play Up Your Arsenal if you wanted more of an introduction to Nefarious.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By devilzrule27

There are callbacks to the Ps2 games but for the most part those games were self contained stories taking place in one universe. The PS3 "Future" story arcs over the first 3 on the platform, except for the latest All 4 One. You should definitely keep going with the PS3 versions and wait for an HD remake of the PS2 ones.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Pazy

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Pazy said:

Haha, yeah, maybe I didn't get into the story because there wasn't one to get into. xD

How long ago did you play the original trilogy? Do they hold up?

I played them all near release but I replayed the first game last year, it holds up really well. It lacks the levelling mechanic which I love but it still plays really well, even the graphics are still passable.

EDIT: It holds up well enough that I plan to play Ratchet and Clank 2 in the next few weeks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.