Rayman Legends is a WiiU exclusive.

#1 Posted by Dixavd (1359 posts) -

Ubisoft announced that the WiiU version of the game is an exclusive to that console and there would not be a PS3 or xbox 360 version. They said in an interview here. I got it from this website.

What do you think of this? Does it make you more excited for wiiU (especially knowing this is being released specifically for it so this will likely be some of the best uses of the controller for the near future)? Has it made you change your mind if you want it or not?

#2 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

I thought you had to be wrong even with the presented evidence but a quick google seems to reconfirm what you said. I find this very disappointing but maybe it will sell better as a launch exclusive than however Rayman Origins sold.

#3 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

It's still so weird to think that they don't mean "the Wii version is specially designed to take advantage of the controller, but there are versions for the other consoles as well".

Should we assume that Rayman Origins sold almost entirely Wii copies, to people looking for another New Super Mario Bros. Wii? I guess that makes sense, because how many people want to do local splitscreen on a 360/PS3? Do people even own 4 controllers for their 360/PS3? So few games offer local multiplayer anymore that I don't see why you'd bother. The Wii (and WiiU) is pretty much the last remaining system focused on local multiplayer, so I guess it makes sense that they'd focus their efforts there.

#4 Posted by Dixavd (1359 posts) -

@PokeIkzai said:

I thought you had to be wrong even with the presented evidence but a quick google seems to reconfirm what you said. I find this very disappointing but maybe it will sell better as a launch exclusive than however Rayman Origins sold.

Yeah, it surprised me too. I am unsure what I think about it - I am with you that it could sell dramatically well (like being like Twilight Princess was at the wii launch), I just fear this may make the only version of the game be the one with all of the gimmicky parts of the WiiU (like all of those Sony exclusives forced to use the gyroscope six-axis on the controller).

#5 Posted by Dixavd (1359 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

It's still so weird to think that they don't mean "the Wii version is specially designed to take advantage of the controller, but there are versions for the other consoles as well".

Should we assume that Rayman Origins sold almost entirely Wii copies, to people looking for another New Super Mario Bros. Wii? I guess that makes sense, because how many people want to do local splitscreen on a 360/PS3? Do people even own 4 controllers for their 360/PS3? So few games offer local multiplayer anymore that I don't see why you'd bother. The Wii (and WiiU) is pretty much the last remaining system focused on local multiplayer, so I guess it makes sense that they'd focus their efforts there.

Yeah I did originally think 5-player co-op seemed a bit ambitious for ps3/360 guess my suspicons were right. Although I'm not totally sure the market isn't there on xbox and ps3 - I just think they advertised badly and had a bad release schedule for it last year.

#6 Posted by TheSilentGod (140 posts) -

Awh what..... and I was really looking forward to playing this, I loved Rayman Origins. Guess I won't be playing this game so, really disappointed with this.

#7 Posted by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -

This is actually a big deal. It's a good move by Nintendo.

#8 Posted by pow1149 (23 posts) -

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

#9 Posted by wemibelec90 (1743 posts) -

If it doesn't come to something else eventually, I would be surprised. Ubisoft likes money and the Wii U won't have enough of a userbase for it to make much if it is truly exclusive to the Wii U.

#10 Posted by xyzygy (10030 posts) -

I am getting a Wii U at some point, so no biggie I guess.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

If it doesn't come to something else eventually, I would be surprised. Ubisoft likes money and the Wii U won't have enough of a userbase for it to make much if it is truly exclusive to the Wii U.

You don't know that for sure.

#12 Posted by oldjack327 (134 posts) -

Wow... I have no interest in the Wii U so this is horribly depressing. It was one of the few games coming out that I was legitimately interested in. I'm just not willing/able to splurge on a new console just to get one game.

#13 Posted by L44 (566 posts) -

poo

#14 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I don't see what everybody is complaining about, this is the sort of thing Nintendo should be doing, picking up third party exclusives, well done Nintendo.

#15 Posted by ansys (62 posts) -

Noooooo, such a bad move on UBI part. :-(

#16 Posted by wemibelec90 (1743 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@wemibelec90 said:

Nope, I don't. It's happened enough times that it is a likely scenario, even if it's only to something like the 3DS or the Vita. Also, I don't know if Nintendo paid Ubisoft to make it exclusive or if they chose to do it themselves, which factors in.

#17 Edited by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

So I'm not buying Rayman Legends? Smart business move by ubisoft?

#18 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

It's kinda weird, since it's not like you can't handle the Murphy stuff with a mouse, the Move or a Kinect. Or uDraw.

#19 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

A few months after its release they'll announce versions for every other platform. No worries.

#20 Posted by ez123 (1967 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

A few months after its release they'll announce versions for every other platform. No worries.

What do you know that we don't? I'm still surprised Splinter Cell Conviction never came out on the PS3.

#21 Posted by TheSlothKing (333 posts) -

I'm happy about this. That music part looked super fun and cool.

#22 Posted by alecsteazey (3 posts) -

Regardless of how long it remains exclusive to the Wii U, securing a (relatively) large 3rd party franchise for launch is a pretty big deal. Really disappointing for Rayman fans on other platforms though, and considering the Rabbids line was almost exclusively Nintendo after the first game, there's no guarantee we'll see ports, although there is a difference between the two series.

#23 Posted by Village_Guy (2636 posts) -

So that'll be one Rayman game I won't be playing I guess... Sigh.

#24 Posted by AndrewDeLong (20 posts) -

They didn't mention it being exclusive during the conference like that like that Zombie game and the leaked video for Legends mentioned exclusive Wii U features suggesting that it's not really exclusive to the system at all so I'm taking that interview with a pinch of salt.

Seeing as how they've ported pretty much every Rayman platformer to every system in existence it's crazy to think it would be any different with this one.

#25 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

@Hailinel said:

@wemibelec90 said:

Nope, I don't. It's happened enough times that it is a likely scenario, even if it's only to something like the 3DS or the Vita. Also, I don't know if Nintendo paid Ubisoft to make it exclusive or if they chose to do it themselves, which factors in.

Or Rayman Origins perhaps just sold far better on the Wii than it did on the other platforms; well enough to justify making the follow-up a Nintendo hardware exclusive. Without actual sales numbers, it's impossible to say.

#26 Posted by jmood88 (396 posts) -

What a waste. Hopefully they just make a sequel for the 360.

#27 Posted by DeF (4923 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

It's kinda weird, since it's not like you can't handle the Murphy stuff with a mouse, the Move or a Kinect. Or uDraw.

Specifically that rhythm section would be impossible in that way with motion control or a mouse since you have to touch the exact spot on the screen. A hand motion with Kinect or Move would be too imprecise or take too long, even a mouse wouldn't really feel right for this. All they could really do is completely take out the asymmetrical co-op and just do regular multiplayer.

#28 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -
@DeF said:

@Ghostiet said:

Specifically that rhythm section would be impossible in that way with motion control or a mouse since you have to touch the exact spot on the screen. A hand motion with Kinect or Move would be too imprecise or take too long, even a mouse wouldn't really feel right for this. All they could really do is completely take out the asymmetrical co-op and just do regular multiplayer.

Hm, I didn't think of that. You're probably right.
#29 Posted by hermes (1536 posts) -

Very disappointing, but not entirely surprising...

What they show (the fifth character) was specifically made for the WiiU, to port it in other versions would likely require some levels to be redesigned.

#30 Edited by FreakAche (2954 posts) -

I severely doubt it's a Wii U exclusive. They just haven't talked about the other versions yet. I'm probably buying a Wii U though, so I'm fine either way.

#31 Posted by BBQBram (2258 posts) -

Guess it's official; I'm getting a WiiU. Good on you Nintendo.

Although to be honest they had me at Pikmin 3.

#32 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I was really looking forward to that game. Guess I'll get a Wii U at some point.

#33 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

I was hoping to play it on my Vita like Rayman Origins. Oh, well.

#34 Edited by Turambar (6810 posts) -

WiiU has no games, people are unhappy.  WiiU has games the other consoles have, people are unhappy.  WiiU has exclusives, people are unhappy.

Jeff pretending to be Reggie: "We discovered that you guys are real assholes."

#35 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@Turambar said:

WiiU has no games, people are unhappy. WiiU has games the other consoles have, people are unhappy. WiiU has exclusives, people are unhappy.

People just don't want a Wii U, and they're making up BS excuses for it. Nothing new about that.

#36 Posted by Dixavd (1359 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

@Turambar said:

WiiU has no games, people are unhappy. WiiU has games the other consoles have, people are unhappy. WiiU has exclusives, people are unhappy.

People just don't want a Wii U, and they're making up BS excuses for it. Nothing new about that.

I think it is less that and more just different people want different things. While I so far am on board (concept wise and the limited execution of it I have seen), the games themselves and the product doesn't look ready for a release this year. While I would say if these are all the first-few-month games (And they aren't talking about games past that yet - which Reggie mentioned in an IGN interview here) then I am happy on the software front so far for that sort of timespan. However I totally get any Project Rainfall followers who see nothing here for them with no JRPG's who say there are no games for them - because the games they want to play aren't there, it is a valid statement to them.

People have different things that they want Nintendo to nail and bring forward which means that all of this negativity is fair to be discussed - even that of not wanting Rayman to be an exclusive as to these people they may have total thought they won't ever get a WiiU in which case they have lost a gaming experience they had been looking forward to (In the same way that if the next Mirror's Edge game is a Vita exclusive I would be angry - even if it is a title that could be potentially amazing on the hardware, I will almost certainly never get to play it and I adored the original).

Anyone who is saying all of these complaints to you at once is indeed an asshole and you shouldn't be listening to them - but simply the fact that differing opinions means as a whole the gaming community has mixes of all of these feelings doesn't make everyone assholes.

#37 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

This game looks and sounds so bloody good...

#38 Posted by Shaunage (715 posts) -

Now I'm worried about them ruining Rayman Legends to shoehorn in WiiU functionality. Nothing in that video is something I want to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.