Ubisoft Would Rather You Didn't See This Rayman: Legends Internal Demonstration Video [UPDATED]

• 152 results
Posted by Alex (2024 posts) -

UPDATE: Ubisoft issued an official statement regarding the below video to VG24/7, clarifying that the video is NOT an official announcement trailer, but rather a sort of proof-of-concept video meant only for internal distribution.

"An internal video showing images of Rayman Origins’ sequel has leaked over the Internet,” said the firm. “This video was intended as a purely internal demonstrative video, and in NO way represents the final game, the final console or their features."

So, essentially, none of what you're seeing in the video feature-wise is actually final. Meaning none of that crazy object-scanning stuff is actually confirmed (boo). That said, Ubisoft does at least confirm in the statement that this sequel totally exists, which means they're certainly working on things like this. Look, I don't even need all this crazy object-scanning crud. Just give me online co-op and more worlds to explore, and I'll be happy.

Look, here's the thing. We could very easily not have run the trailer above, which is likely something Ubisoft had planned to save until shortly before E3 as a way to hype people up for the announcement of its now all-but-inevitable Rayman: Origins sequel, Rayman: Legends. Usually we like to wait these things out, wait for official video distribution, and put things up when the time is "right," so to speak. But in the case of Rayman: Legends, I'm making an exception, because this business is just too crazy to pretend it doesn't exist.

The above video is specifically geared toward the Wii U version of Rayman: Legends. It shows new characters, new abilities, and one very specific Wii U-related piece of functionality. No, I'm not talking about the touch-screen controls, which are fine, I guess. I'm talking about the Skylanders-like ability to scan real world figures into your game and do...stuff with them? The video specifically shows examples like heart icons that can be used for health in-game, a Raving Rabbid that becomes an instant antagonist, and even hints at some kind of bizarre Assassin's Creed tie-in. I mean, what?

Don't be too surprised if this trailer gets pulled at some point in the relatively near future, as it's already disappeared from a few sources. Right now Gamekult seems to be the only site still hosting it. Enjoy it while you can, and then try to act surprised when Ubisoft shows the exact same video at its E3 press conference, as we definitely don't want to make them too angry. If we do, they might bring back Mr. Caffeine, and then nobody will be happy.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2024 posts) -

UPDATE: Ubisoft issued an official statement regarding the below video to VG24/7, clarifying that the video is NOT an official announcement trailer, but rather a sort of proof-of-concept video meant only for internal distribution.

"An internal video showing images of Rayman Origins’ sequel has leaked over the Internet,” said the firm. “This video was intended as a purely internal demonstrative video, and in NO way represents the final game, the final console or their features."

So, essentially, none of what you're seeing in the video feature-wise is actually final. Meaning none of that crazy object-scanning stuff is actually confirmed (boo). That said, Ubisoft does at least confirm in the statement that this sequel totally exists, which means they're certainly working on things like this. Look, I don't even need all this crazy object-scanning crud. Just give me online co-op and more worlds to explore, and I'll be happy.

Look, here's the thing. We could very easily not have run the trailer above, which is likely something Ubisoft had planned to save until shortly before E3 as a way to hype people up for the announcement of its now all-but-inevitable Rayman: Origins sequel, Rayman: Legends. Usually we like to wait these things out, wait for official video distribution, and put things up when the time is "right," so to speak. But in the case of Rayman: Legends, I'm making an exception, because this business is just too crazy to pretend it doesn't exist.

The above video is specifically geared toward the Wii U version of Rayman: Legends. It shows new characters, new abilities, and one very specific Wii U-related piece of functionality. No, I'm not talking about the touch-screen controls, which are fine, I guess. I'm talking about the Skylanders-like ability to scan real world figures into your game and do...stuff with them? The video specifically shows examples like heart icons that can be used for health in-game, a Raving Rabbid that becomes an instant antagonist, and even hints at some kind of bizarre Assassin's Creed tie-in. I mean, what?

Don't be too surprised if this trailer gets pulled at some point in the relatively near future, as it's already disappeared from a few sources. Right now Gamekult seems to be the only site still hosting it. Enjoy it while you can, and then try to act surprised when Ubisoft shows the exact same video at its E3 press conference, as we definitely don't want to make them too angry. If we do, they might bring back Mr. Caffeine, and then nobody will be happy.

Staff
#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10864 posts) -

I wonder how that works. I mean, that Ezio statue can't have any sort of near-field stuff in it, right? Wasn't that a collector's edition thing from 2009?

#3 Edited by AndrewB (7568 posts) -

Oh my god... if Nintendo built a Skylanders-esque system of scanning into their next console, I take back all the doomsaying from the other day. They will have won again. I'm buying Nintendo stock right now.

#4 Posted by Akyho (1594 posts) -

Skylanders x 2?

#5 Edited by Legend (2658 posts) -

I absolutely loved Rayman: Origins! Wasn't expecting a sequel especially after hearing that the game didn't sell well. Now I can't stop smiling after watching this trailer. Really excited for this game!!

#6 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

Skylanders was a game-changer.

#7 Posted by jukeboxzer0 (71 posts) -

Jeff is going to lose his shit and buy all those ubisoft toys.

#8 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

Oh my god... if Nintendo built a Skylanders-esque system of scanning into their next console, I take back all the doomsaying from the other day. They will have won again. I'm buying Nintendo stock right now.

I need to buy all the shy guy figures I can get. All of them.

#9 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (341 posts) -

Oh hey, look, there's actors.

#10 Posted by Heartagram (1181 posts) -

That is kind of crazy awesome and may have sold me a Wii-U if enough games do stuff like this...

#11 Posted by ChrisTaran (1581 posts) -

That looks sick! Still, I can't believe you can only use 1 Wii U remote on a system >_>

#12 Posted by nesagwa (62 posts) -

@AndrewB: Seriously, that looks great. I hope they expand on that feature at E3 (and perhaps announce a WiiU Skylanders).

#13 Posted by Bravestar (379 posts) -

I hope online is online coop and not just minigames. if it is online coop it's a first day purchase.

#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Okay, maybe this Wii U thing will actually be something special. Skylanders ahoy!

#15 Posted by Emrimion (18 posts) -

They play "How to train your dragon" music from 0:48 on to 1:18. Another tie in? I want to play a toothless!

#16 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

Music in the middle of it sounded like it was from the How To Train Your Dragon soundtrack. The game itself looks awesome-Rayman Origins was a blast, so I'd think this'd be also. I want Batman in my Rayman.

#17 Posted by FatWhiteLump (18 posts) -

There goes Jeff's wallet.

#18 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Epic Rendering Engine? So, first Unreal Engine 4 game?

#19 Posted by MeatSim (10821 posts) -

How many toys is Jeff going to buy this time?

#20 Posted by Superfriend (1541 posts) -

BANNED in the UK!

Well, if Ubi has anything to say about it.. banned everywhere? Stupid big companies, can´t even keep a few secrets.

#21 Posted by Hardtarget (243 posts) -

now that's a trailer

#22 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

So how long until a kid breaks the screen on the Wii-U's controller by slamming his toy on it?

#23 Posted by xite (836 posts) -

Hahaha an Ezio Skylander. Jeff would lose his shit.

#24 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

This seems like a game wildly losing focus of the simplicity that made Rayman Origins so fucking good.

#25 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I was excited up until the Heart and Rabbid figures, and then my head just goddamn exploded. Skylanders can go eat a dick, Nintendo has raised the fucking bar.

#26 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

This looks cool as fuck. Dat music, awesome.

#27 Posted by Harkat (1101 posts) -

SKYLANDERS TECHNOLOGY IN WII U?

Sign me up!

#28 Posted by White_Lando (38 posts) -

That's some weird use of Back to the Future music towards the end.

#29 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

This looks

INSANE.

Holy shit dude, do want, and I even told myself that Rayman Origins was just enough Rayman to last me for a long while. Looks like we have a Wii U system seller (for me).

#30 Posted by RagingLion (1365 posts) -

Well this is interesting.

#31 Posted by Dustpan (1693 posts) -

That Ezio cock tease.

#32 Posted by WJist (313 posts) -

So, this is how Nintendo might be doing DLC, right? Not sure how to feel about Ubisoft aping Activision here. It has potential down the road for Pokemon Toys to be used in a game, but...Ezio in Rayman games?

#33 Posted by Zabant (1236 posts) -

Guys, that was the back to the future music right? i'm not insane RIGHT?!

#34 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

I wish I didn't know about a Beyond Good & Evil sequel. 'Cause what happened to that?

#35 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (354 posts) -
YESSSSSSSS.....
#36 Posted by Abendlaender (2782 posts) -

Oh GOD Mr. Caffeine. Alex! Why do you have to remind me....

Tom Calancy!

#37 Posted by ThomasJamison (7 posts) -

Can the Wii U do multitouch? Because if it can I wonder if the "scanning in" works by looking at the points the object makes contact with on the touch screen and then compares to a database of objects to figure out what it is. If it works like this you wouldn't have to have near field anything in toys and you could even just patch in new things and could explain how an old AC2 toy could work.

I have no idea if the Wii U's touch screen has the sensitivity to do this, but it was the simplest way I could come up with.

#38 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

If this is Skylanders for adults, I'm not happy about it.

#39 Posted by Autechresaint (56 posts) -

Nope, nope nope nopenopenope. Don't like the idea of having to buy toys ala skylander. I've already spent so much money on the wii and it's peripherals. I give up. No more nintendo in my household, and this is coming from a lifelong nintendo fan.

#40 Posted by Dustpan (1693 posts) -

@hagridore said:

I wish I didn't know about a Beyond Good & Evil sequel. 'Cause what happened to that?

If this game sells well they MIGHT make it, maybe.

#41 Posted by Autechresaint (56 posts) -

I mean wtf, so I have to use a freaking toy to activate something that used to be done with a simple menu click? Is this where we are heading?

#42 Posted by Cubic (171 posts) -

The Wii U touchscreen features don't seem all that compelling, basically the same thing as the Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves did with the Move controller. Detecting figures put on the screen might be pretty cool though, although it doesn't seem like something that would be a particularly big selling point for me. I've got too much crap in my house already, and if this became a 'thing' for Wii U games I'd lose most of the figures the week after I got them (and I'd certainly not be able to find them if I came back to a game after a month).

The game does look pretty good though, not massively different from Origins but it doesn't really need to be.

#43 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

That one kids is high as fuck playing that game.

#44 Posted by hermes (1404 posts) -

The question of how that would work is pretty valid. Both toys look like old collections, so I guess there aren't chips included in. If it can scan anything and it react in some way (with only a handful of items having special abilities), it would be cool but far too futuristic. My guess is that the trailer is mostly marketing and, while the functionality will be available, it will be with a selected set of new toys using bluetooth or something similar.

Either way, I don't care. I loved Origins and will definitely play the new one.

#45 Posted by Space_Sandwich (108 posts) -

I definitely heard How to Train Your Dragon music in here. And I definitely shat my pants immediately after hearing it. I reeeeaaallllly hope this is real. Dat lighting...

#46 Posted by super2j (1666 posts) -

Rayman is going to have a bright future if it keeps up at this pace.

#47 Posted by LifeByDegrees (241 posts) -

All but inevitable sequel? I thought people were worried about Rayman: Origins paying for itself?

#48 Posted by two_socks (230 posts) -

Man I really don't wanna use the Wii-mote for another whole generation.

#49 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@Zabant said:

Guys, that was the back to the future music right? i'm not insane RIGHT?!

It even uses a snippet of the main theme at that last moment before the doors shut. I'm pretty sure the HTTYD and BTTF music are only in there because this wasn't meant to be released to the public.

That said, I'M DOWN EITHER WAY.

#50 Posted by prencher (109 posts) -

@Heartagram: I know. I can't wait to raise and lower platforms.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.