Version differences/which are you buying thread.

• 51 results
Posted by SpudBug (632 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Version differences/which are you buying thread. (158 votes)

WiiU 28%
Vita 18%
PC 36%
PS3 12%
Xbox 360 13%

So i wanted to know which version or versions people are buying, and it's also a bit confusing seeing what the differences are between platforms. \

All versions except Vita run at 1080p/ 60 Frames per Second, with PC being variable based on hardware.

WiiUPre-Order Bonus Aveline from Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, Mario and Luigi Skins, Murphy Levels use the Gamepad Touch Screen, 5 Player Co-Op using the gamepad, and free challenges app that unlocks a skin in the full game.
VitaBonus Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia Skins, Touch Screen Murphy Levels, and 5 bonus Murphy Levels exclusive to vita. $40.
PCPre-Order includes full copy of Rayman Origins, $40 vs $60 for console versions. Murphy levels might be controlled with mouse cursor but i'm not sure. Uses U-Play DRM on PC in addition to Steam if you buy it there.
PS3Pre-Order Assassin's Creed 4 Edward Kenway Skin. The Murphy levels are automatically controlled by a button press.
360Pre-Order Splinter Cell Skin. Murphy Levels controlled by button presses automatically.

Myself I'm probably going to go for the PC version because it's cheap and I didn't play Rayman Origins so getting it free is a nice bonus. I'll probably get the Vita version when it's on sale if ever as well.

If you know of any other differences post here and I'll update the OP.

#1 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

PC, Ubi got rid of the DRM on U-Play a while back mang ><

#2 Posted by spankingaddict (2727 posts) -

I am debating between the WiiU and Vita version .

#3 Edited by Abendlaender (2866 posts) -

I bought it on PC cause that's the plattform I have. Also it's cheaper. Also Murphy seems terrible (I only played the Demo) however I don't think the WiiU Pad would improve that.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

Getting the Wii U version.

#5 Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

WiiU.

#6 Posted by SpudBug (632 posts) -

@maskedarcstrike: ah sorry, meant to point out that Uplay is required. It wasn't on Rayman Origins. As in buying it on steam will still launch Uplay. That's a dealbreaker for some folks.

#7 Edited by Nekromantix87 (41 posts) -

I'm tempted to pick up a PC pre-order from the CAG forums because it's cheap, but given my current backlog, it's probably in my best interest to wait for the inevitable Amazon / Steam sale in half a year or so.

#8 Posted by metalhammer (65 posts) -

I feel desperately sorry for my WiiU but I'm going to have to say PC, given the price difference and the greater fidelity.

Shame this couldn't have stayed exclusive to the WiiU but there you go.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

Wii U version for me.

#10 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

@spudbug: I dunno specifically if they still want you to sign into Uplay on the first time you start it up with some titles but you don't need to be connected anymore online to Uplay to play their games anymore for PC.

Link from a story on it last year.

#11 Posted by GunstarRed (5398 posts) -

The Wii U. the platform moving/rope cutting stuff in the demo was cool on the pad.

#12 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (176 posts) -

PC because it is what I have but if I had a choice it'd be WiiU. I'm fine with the PC version though, I played some of the Murphy levels at a display at gamestop and they seem fun and all but I'm fine with not using the gamepad/touchscreen thing for it.

#14 Edited by SpudBug (632 posts) -

$40 for the PC version plus rayman origins is a sweet deal. I really want to support the WiiU but it just makes more sense to go with PC on this one.

#15 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Probably Vita.

#16 Posted by SMTDante89 (2613 posts) -

If I get a WiiU anytime soon, there. Otherwise it's probably going to be PS3 for me (though I imagine even if I get the PS3 version, I'll likely get a WiiU version anyway whenever I get around to picking up a WiiU)

#17 Posted by csl316 (9247 posts) -

Vita isn't at 60?

#18 Edited by johncallahan (604 posts) -

Word seems to be that the Wii U version is the "definitive" version. Plus my Wii U has not been touched since a week after it launched, it needs something. So I'll be going with that. May even go full-blown crazy and pick up the Vita version as well, loved Origins on that thing and having it everywhere I go would be nice.

#19 Edited by SpudBug (632 posts) -

@csl316: it might be but it's not at 1080, lol. All I could find is a french interview with ancel that stated:

- PS Vita Version is identical to Wii U version in terms of gameplay (including touch levels). It even adds 5 exclusives "touch" levels. Performance-wise, the Vita version tested ran smoothly but with some dips below 60 FPS (whereas Wii U was rock-solid 60 FPS)

The original on vita was near 60fps but had some drops, so i think this will be similar.

#20 Posted by steeeevil (10 posts) -

Why does the WiiU version get the Aveline bonus skin when that character was in a Vita exclusive?

#22 Edited by SpudBug (632 posts) -

@steeeevil: I thought that too, doesn't make sense. Why not give the WiiU the AC4 skin and PS3 the Aveline skin since she's in the bonus content for the PS3 version of AC4? Weird.

#23 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Can you play online co-op on PC?

#25 Posted by awesomeusername (4230 posts) -

Will get it on Vita when it goes on sale and I get the money for it sometime in the future.

#26 Posted by Suits (252 posts) -

@mcghee: There isn't online co-op on any of the platforms, only local.

#27 Posted by Timing (624 posts) -

Don't own a Wii U, don't own a Vita, don't own a gaming-capable PC, and I prefer the 360 controller to the PS3 one so I'm getting it for 360. I would've gotten it for PS3 instead if it had had online multiplayer since I let my XBL Gold expire, but since it doesn't there's no loss of functionality in getting it for 360 now.

#29 Posted by MEATBALL (3393 posts) -

WiiU because I really enjoyed the touch controls for the Murphy challenge levels in the Challenges App, love the look of the Mario & Luigi costumes, I can play in bed with off-screen play and finally, it's a game on the WiiU that isn't going to be a shoddy port.

#30 Posted by skooks (85 posts) -

360, might double dip on the Vita version too.

#31 Edited by Morningstar (2230 posts) -

360. Or Ps3 if I can find a better deal.

#32 Posted by Hunter5024 (5896 posts) -

If someone convinces me to play this game I will probably play on Wii U. The demo for the last one was kind of off putting though.

#33 Posted by xyzygy (10064 posts) -

360. Achievements.

#34 Posted by mjk0104 (210 posts) -

My brother pre-ordered the PS3 version and we played about an hour together today, it's a brilliant game, though the Murphy stuff is clearly meant for the Wii U, it's still a lot of fun. And there is so much stuff in this game, daily challenges, unlockable levels from Origins, those frustratingly difficult speed levels, a huge number of characters, plenty of progression stuff (Including a weird monster collecting thing I don't quite understand yet), and as expected, it looks phenomenal.

If I had a Wii U, I'd say that's probably the best version, but don't let that put you off :D

#35 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5900 posts) -

Just like origins before it, I'll play it on my Xbox 360.

#36 Edited by Ares42 (2772 posts) -

@mjk0104: The monster collection gives you daily lums for skins (the last few requires quite a lot of lums). You also get some sort of reward for collecting an entire family, but I can't remember what it said the reward was. Might just be more lums. Edit: It gives cups for awesomeness.

As for version, after playing the challenge app on Wii U and now playing the retail on PS3 I'm fairly confident in saying the PS3/xbox version is the best. There are a few finger-twisting moments and instances where you might've wanted Murphy to do something other than default, but mostly being able to do things at a click of a button is way easier than using a touchpad. Already run into a few scenarios where I can't imagine both controlling the character and trying to use the pad on Wii U at the same time. Although I guess if they just auto-pilot the character and it's all touch it's easier, but then you pretty much remove half the fun of the game.

#37 Posted by impartialgecko (1699 posts) -

PC. Price difference and the crispness of my monitor for all that lovely 2D art.

#38 Edited by Gusiah2015 (14 posts) -

I grabbed the ps3 version since that's what me and the kids played origins on. Got it today (don't know if australians got it a little early) and loving it so far but the bug levels feel a bit dumb with just a button press. If I had a wiiU and the extra controlers that's the version I would have chosen.

#39 Edited by Lordnine (3 posts) -

WiiU. The Murphy levels are a blast on the WiiU pad, especially if you are playing them co-op with a friend. 5 player mode is also great for game nights. I’ve played the challenge app a lot since it was released so I know exactly what I’m getting and couldn’t be happier with the title.

#40 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6999 posts) -

I'll get it on Vita when I have 40 bucks to spare.

#41 Posted by MikkaQ (10331 posts) -

I was going to do Wii U, just to have another Wii U game, but I see that the PC game is cheaper and comes with Origins which I never finished.

#42 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (454 posts) -

I'm getting the Vita version. Origins is a great game to have with me anywhere and I expect Legends to be no different. It may not be high-res and a constant 60, but I Origins still looks gorgeous and ran perfectly fine.

Also, why is the pre-order bonus for the WiiU a character from a Vita exclusive? Who at Ubisoft thought that made sense?

#43 Posted by budgietheii (185 posts) -

Having now played the first two "worlds" in two player co-op I'd say you're a fool if you have access to a WiiU and don't buy it for that platform. The interplay between the GamePad user and the traditional platform player is sublime. You're basically dulling the impact of half the levels without it.

#44 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Being a co-op game, I can't have myself to play the PC version. I'll play it on the console it was designed for, the Wii U.

#45 Posted by The_Great_Time_Muffin (30 posts) -

I played the demo on both the WiiU and the PC and I've gotta say that I vastly prefer the Murphy stuff just being a button press. Using just a simple button press felt much more free and I felt it flowed alot better.

And now today after having played 5 hours of the final game with a pal I can't imagine having to use the touch screen for some of that stuff. It can get tough. Some of it I imagine being real clumsy. Especially by yourself.

#46 Posted by Shaunage (722 posts) -

I bought and finished it on PC. Thank God the Murphy levels were just a button press. I hated the Murphy levels in the Wii U demo.

#47 Posted by JackSukeru (5946 posts) -

@shaunage said:

I bought and finished it on PC. Thank God the Murphy levels were just a button press. I hated the Murphy levels in the Wii U demo.

I agree. I've only played the WiiU and PC demo but when I eventually pick this game up it's gonna be on PC.

#48 Edited by Lordnine (3 posts) -

For those complaining about the Murphy levels, are you trying to use your finger on the screen instead of the stylus? With the stylus I’ve had no problems; in fact I find the levels a nice change of pace. It’s not like you need to use the touch screen and the regular controls at the same time so I’m not seeing the problem.

#49 Posted by RonGalaxy (3262 posts) -

Probably vita when it goes on sale. Having some elements designed around touch, but having to control it with a button seems really weird. I wish the vita/ps3 versions were crossbuy, but I don't think that's the case

#50 Posted by coons84 (37 posts) -

I picked up origins a while back on ps+ for $5, amazing game to say the least. I think i'll wait for this to drop in price, not digging the touch stuff after watching jeff and brads "frustrating" quick look. Deff seems like Wii U would be the way to go. Oh well diablo 3 it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.