Less that 5,000 copies sold (?)

• 186 results
#1 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

I've seen multiple sites claim that this game has flopped. Hard.

Does anyone have actual numbers on how well (or poorly) Origins has sold?

#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14341 posts) -

5000 sounds way too low, but I wasn't expecting this to be a sales success. It's being released in a crowded release window with a million high profile games coming out from Skyward Sword to Skyrim to Modern Warfare 3. It's just getting crowded out. It looks amazing, but scheduling it to be released this month was a huuuuuuuge mistake.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18906 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

It looks amazing, but scheduling it to be released this month was a huuuuuuuge mistake.

I completely agree. They should have released it last month or in December.

#4 Posted by CornBREDX (4793 posts) -

Just a guess, but I suspect it will get most of it's sales when it inevitably goes digital download (XBLM and whatnot). The release window for this is terrible and it will be hard enough to prove to people they want to get this retail anyway. I'm not saying it's bad, but I suspect it would find more of an audience later on in its life and on a digital sales platform.

#5 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

Ubisoft seems to hate Michel Ancel. They did the same thing with Beyond good and Evil back in the day.

#6 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Now the game will be sold along with string cheese. Mmmmm... string cheese...

#7 Posted by Deathmachine117 (377 posts) -

Jesus I wasnt even aware this game came out. I just assumed it was next year.

#8 Posted by Sjosz (485 posts) -

There's no way 5000 can be right. Also, it's a fantastic game, it certainly doesn't deserve to flop if it does.

#9 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1669 posts) -

Yeah, they released this at such an awful time. Which is a shame because it is absolutely delightful and a ton of fun. Surprisingly lengthy as well, with a lot of reasons to go back and replay levels. I'm about halfway through at the moment and I looooooooooove it :D

#10 Posted by phonicpod (99 posts) -

Any idiot could tell releasing it at this time of the year was basically putting it out to die. Go ubi marketing!

#11 Posted by Delta_Ass (3255 posts) -

It's a 2D sidescroller with a 60 dollar sticker price going up against the biggest titles of the year. No shit it flopped.

#12 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

i thought this was a XBLA game.

#13 Posted by SpaceRunaway (842 posts) -

Even if it sells poorly, and they never try anything like it again, at least Rayman can go out on a high note.

#14 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Is this really a surprise? I thought it was going to be a $20 XBL game. I really want to play it, but not enough to pay $60 for it.

#15 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

I'm not surprised. I'll buy it on XBLA sometime, but I already spent $130 on Zelda and Skyrim this month and have Christmas coming up.

#16 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

It's a 2D sidescroller with a 60 dollar sticker price going up against the biggest titles of the year. No shit it flopped.

Funny how you could've said the same thing about New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns, both of which sold incredibly well.

Of course, the major difference is that Nintendo advertised those games and Ubisoft couldn't've been bothered with Rayman.

#17 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I'm going to ask for it for Christmas. Right now I'm too busy with Skyrim and Saint's Row.

#18 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

#19 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

Damn it Ubisoft! Fuck you and Mr. Caffeine!

#20 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3184 posts) -

Ubisoft sucks at advertising good, unique games. And also...@Delta_Ass said:

This.

#21 Posted by theoldhouse (439 posts) -

Ubisoft are retarded. Even if somehow they forgot to check their competitors games coming out, they released frigging assassins creed at the same time!

I want it but heck if I can find the cash after Batman, Skyrim and Zelda!

#22 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

was this from VGchartz or something? 5000 seems way too low

#23 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3783 posts) -
@iAmJohn

@Delta_Ass said:

Funny how you could've said the same thing about New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns, both of which sold incredibly well.

Of course, the major difference is that Nintendo advertised those games and Ubisoft couldn't've been bothered with Rayman.

You can't really compare those, you're talking huge brand awareness and release on a console hurting for games. I can't remember when they were released but I doubt it was nearly as bad as Raymans release date. Ubisoft sent this out to die and that's really sad.
#24 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

Not saying it would have sold a million copies if they launched it in like April or March but it would have done a hell of a lot better than during the holidays between some pretty heavy hitters, one of them being another Ubisoft game Assasin's Creed Revelations. This is worse than when EA dumped Shadows of the Damned and Alice Madness Returns on random dates close to each other with zero marketing.

#25 Edited by DrDarkStryfe (1086 posts) -

They released it on the heaviest release day of the year, which blows my mind considering that Ubi also released Assassins Creed the same day. This industry needs to get away from releasing everything in a two month span.

What really sucks is that Ubi tied Beyond Good and Evil 2's creation to the success of this title.

#26 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@iAmJohn

@Delta_Ass said:

You can't really compare those, you're talking huge brand awareness and release on a console hurting for games. I can't remember when they were released but I doubt it was nearly as bad as Raymans release date. Ubisoft sent this out to die and that's really sad.

Of course you can compare them. They were released at the exact same time as Rayman Origins (albeit with the usual Nintendo Sunday release date) and while there's way more brand awareness for Mario and Donkey Kong (though consider that it had been 14 years between DKC3 and DKCR, and that Jungle Beat, the last Donkey Kong platformer, didn't do particularly well), Rayman has done well over the years between Rayman 2 and the Rabbids games. Also, this is a game that was released on all consoles--including the Wii.

#27 Posted by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -

Didn't most of this years summer suffer from a distinct lack of any videogame releases? The release timing for this game stinks of bad planning.

#28 Posted by SamFo (1514 posts) -

Whoever decided to release this during this period is a fucking maniac.

#29 Posted by AlmostSwedish (546 posts) -

I like how everyone assumes that they are smarter than the people who decided to put it out now, like Ubi hadn't any research.

What is it they say? It's preferable to be #20 on the charts before Christmas to being #1 in January?

#30 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -

I don't think anybody expected it to be a large financial success. Least of all Ubisoft.

#31 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

There is no way they thought releasing this game during the already crammed month of November was a good idea. Releasing it and not putting forth any effort to advertise it, I might add. That leads me to the conclusion that someone at Ubisoft wants Rayman to fail. Or they just don't give a fuck and enjoy bleeding money.

#32 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3783 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@iAmJohn

@Delta_Ass said:

Of course you can compare them. They were released at the exact same time as Rayman Origins (albeit with the usual Nintendo Sunday release date) and while there's way more brand awareness for Mario and Donkey Kong (though consider that it had been 14 years between DKC3 and DKCR, and that Jungle Beat, the last Donkey Kong platformer, didn't do particularly well), Rayman has done well over the years between Rayman 2 and the Rabbids games. Also, this is a game that was released on all consoles--including the Wii.

I'm not saying Rayman hasn't had some popularity but Mario games are in another class. Everybody knows who Mario is, I guarantee the majority of the mass market don't know who Rayman is apart from maybe seeing him in the Rabbids games. Those two franchises aren't comparable when it comes to mass market brand awareness and appeal. Do you really think Rayman is a big franchise in Japan, anywhere near what Mario is? 
Yes they're comparable when it comes to genre, they're both platformers, but that's pretty much it.

EDIT: Did some quick googling, SMBWii sold over 900, 000 units in japan in its first four days alone. There's no comparison between that franchise and Rayman.
#33 Posted by SSully (4125 posts) -

I am not surprised if true. As many have said it picked the worst time to be released. I am someone who would actually consider dropping 60 bucks on this, but right now there are just better games to be playing. Ill pick it up during the slow season when it is cheaper.

#34 Posted by Fobwashed (1899 posts) -

I picked it up even though this type of game would normally be a rental because I wanted to support a nice 2D game with high production values. Still, I felt a bit burned by the $60 price. . . I get that a game is a game is a game but for some reason, it just felt way too expensive in the same way Child of Eden felt way too expensive. Everything that could have been done to insure this game wouldn't sell well was done =\

#35 Posted by EthanielRain (765 posts) -

No way it's only sold 5k. Despite everything the game has going against it, it is wonderfully made, has gotten solid reviews and has at least some brand recognition. I might believe 50k, but 5k is pretty absurd.

Whatever the case, it certainly hasn't sold as well as it deserves. It's one of the gems of this entire generation IMHO, and I say that as someone who isn't a fan of Rayman or platformers in general.

#36 Posted by jacksmedulla (278 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

#37 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

Damn this is sad. It was obvious it wasn't going to make a lot of money but it sure does look damn fine.

#38 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Well they picked the worst possible release date for it.

Hang in there, Rayman! I'm coming, just give me a month or two so I won't be broke and busy.

#39 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

It's 60 fucking dollars. Of course it flopped!

#40 Posted by Tebbit (4449 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

i thought this was a XBLA game.

Yeah, I had no idea they released this on disc! Good grief.

#41 Posted by me3639 (1725 posts) -

Saw it, bought it, love it.

#42 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

Sounds way too low, even if this game fails horribly the name Rayman alone will sell more than 5k copies.

#43 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

I know that, personally, I really want to buy this game. But I only have so much money and this game is going to have to go on the backburner. I hope it is a success in the long run though.

#44 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4283 posts) -
#45 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

Fuck.

That's a bunch of bull-shit. They tried that nonsense with Beyond Good and Evil HD too. They're just toying with fans. Assholes.

#46 Posted by RazielCuts (2926 posts) -

I hate to be 'that guy' but I really wish it was on XBLA and PSN and I would of bought it in a heartbeat.The art style alone is worth it. Just with everything else out its very hard to justify a straight 2D platformer against the competition at the moment.

#47 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Too damn expensive, should have been a well-advertised downloadable.

#48 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

So, um, now can we get a PC release?

#49 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Are the days of full retail priced sidescrollers over?

I mean, mario is is fucking mario, he is the damn mascot of nintendo and of gaming, kinda.

#50 Edited by Asurastrike (2160 posts) -

I saw it in stores, but couldn't justify paying the same price for a 2D sidescroller as I did for Skyrim.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.