Less that 5,000 copies sold (?)

• 186 results
#51 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@Dany: looking at the success of super meat boy,limbo and braid i would say so. if this was 20$ on XBLA/Pc it would have sold a lot more. MArio has a 25 year legacy to keep it in the public conscience .

#52 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

This is an actual retail game? I thought it was an XBLA game...

#53 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

Not a chance, they had to have sold more then that

#54 Posted by bybeach (5009 posts) -

This is messed up. I understand it, just still messed up.

I'm going to get this game, but 60.00 sounds stiff. I'm a bit suprised by that, though I was thinking 50.00- 40.00. However I do not know if the pricing is that flexible

#55 Posted by BjornTheUnicorn (358 posts) -

It will hopefully get a spike during the holidays. The average parent see cartoon characters on a cover and may recognize Ray-Man from Raving Rabbids and thus will probably buy the game for their kids. I'm probably holding out to get it as a gift

#56 Posted by allworkandlowpay (873 posts) -

The conspiracy theorist in me says that this title was purposely sabotaged by some the powers to be in Ubisoft that wanted it to fail.

#57 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

Its not coming out till the 25th here in europe but i have already placed my pre-order. People looking for a platformer/co-op game dont have any other options available on the PS3 and 360. i would advocate more harm is done by its lack of advertisement than its poor release schedule

So what titles is it competing with actually?
Skyrim, Zelda skyward sword, MW3, Battlefield 3, Ass creed: revelations are all totally diverent genres.

Skyrim and Rayman for me this month.

#58 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4833 posts) -

@Questionable said:

So what titles is it competing with actually?

There's a lot of crossover with people who would buy Rayman Origins and also buy almost any big game that comes out this season. I would imagine the majority of people can't buy everything so they have to pass on some stuff and Rayman, unfortunately, falls into that "I'll have to pass on it for now" category for a lot of people.

#59 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -

Bought it and pretty far in it. The game has too much content and has too much production values to be an xbla game. People comparing it to super meat boy or splosion man surely havent played it. Most retail games compare unfavorably to the likes of skyrim or dark souls but i think this one is actually worth picking up.

#60 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -

I plan to buy it but it came out after I have already spent my money on other games, I didnt even know it was launching until a few days before launch so I couldent think about getting over something else. I still plan to get it but it has to be in January now with all my money going towards Christmas, if they had released it in Febuary I would have been all over it and I have a friend that is thinking of playing local (though it would be better for us with Online) co-op.

#61 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Delta_Ass said:

It's a 2D sidescroller with a 60 dollar sticker price going up against the biggest titles of the year. No shit it flopped.

Funny how you could've said the same thing about New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns, both of which sold incredibly well.

I doubt many children even know who Rayman is at this point.

#62 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

Everyone could see that this was going to preform poorly, but 5,000? That seems ridiculously low.

#63 Posted by Eversoranimus (122 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

It's a 2D sidescroller with a 60 dollar sticker price going up against the biggest titles of the year. No shit it flopped.

Exactly what I was thinking.

#64 Posted by Dalai (7078 posts) -

I think there's a zero missing there, but that's still not good for Rayman. Rayman kinda fell off the face of the earth for a while as the Rabbids became the dominant mascot at Ubisoft. It's unfortunate because the game actually looks pretty sweet.

#65 Posted by big_jon (5789 posts) -

@Sjosz said:

There's no way 5000 can be right. Also, it's a fantastic game, it certainly doesn't deserve to flop if it does.

True

#66 Posted by big_jon (5789 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

I picked it up even though this type of game would normally be a rental because I wanted to support a nice 2D game with high production values. Still, I felt a bit burned by the $60 price. . . I get that a game is a game is a game but for some reason, it just felt way too expensive in the same way Child of Eden felt way too expensive. Everything that could have been done to insure this game wouldn't sell well was done =\

I thought 40 would been good.

#67 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

Incredible that someone thought this was a good time to release it.

#68 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Even if it's $60 for a 2D sidescroller, 5 000 copies sold seems crazy low. 

#69 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:

So, um, now can we get a PC release?

No kidding. Slap it on Steam for 40 bucks and it'll go. Ubisoft can even shit their DRM all over it too.
#70 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

You do realize Ubisoft sent it to die? they released it next to every single high profile game that could come out this year

#71 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

I'm going to ask for it for Christmas. Right now I'm too busy with Skyrim and Saint's Row.

Yeah, I'm busy with Skyrim and Zelda, so I've put off Rayman until Christmas. I really want the game, but I'm going to pass that $50 purchase off on a beloved family member.

#72 Edited by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

New Super Mario Brothers says hi with 22 million copies sold. The 2D or the side scrolling part has nothing to do with anything.

#73 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:

@Delta_Ass said:

New Super Mario Brothers says hi with 22 million copies sold. The 2D or the side scrolling part has nothing to do with anything.

Yeah, sure it doesn't. You keep telling yourself that.

Sure it doesn't.
#74 Posted by Daiphyer (1352 posts) -

@phonicpod said:

Any idiot could tell releasing it at this time of the year was basically putting it out to die. Go ubi marketing!

This.

Such a shame.

#75 Edited by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Delta_Ass said:

Funny how you could've said the same thing about New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns, both of which sold incredibly well.

I doubt many children even know who Rayman is at this point.

That's Ubisoft's fault. Look what Activision did with Spyro, of all mascots. Rayman 2 and 3 were both 4+ million sellers.

For all intents and purposes, they should've treated this like a new IP, and put it out in the dead of the summer. With good word of mouth and exposure, it could've sold OK. This game just got buried. You had to dig through sites to find some coverage, it was all Skyrim and MW3 that week.

#76 Edited by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

@buzz_killington said:

@Delta_Ass said:

Yeah, sure it doesn't. You keep telling yourself that. Sure it doesn't.

I'm saying a 2D side scroller can still sell. It's just that Rayman had no brand recognition amongst the general populous, and with the timing of its release, the game didn't even get exposure amongst the enthusiastic crowd either. Look at LitttleBigPlanet, for example. The average consumer doesn't even know what User Generated Content is. It sold well because it got good word of mouth in the enthusiastic gaming circles, and eventually got some mainstream recognition.

#77 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

wait.. It's out?

I haven't seen any ads for it whatsoever. If they only didn't hire Mr. Caffeine and used that money on some PR Budget for that game :S

#78 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

I want this. I love side-scrollers. I just don't have time for it.

This was the wrong time to release this game.

#79 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Publishers are idiotic and insist on releasing everything at fall. I think more games need to sell poorly to make these publishers re-think their release timings. 

It's really fucking dumb. I'm so sick of 10 games being released within 7 weeks of each other.

#80 Posted by PenguinDust (12642 posts) -

@Deathmachine117 said:

Jesus I wasnt even aware this game came out. I just assumed it was next year.

This. I was surprised to hear it was out already. How do you release a game like this at this time of year? It seems it was sent to die.

#81 Posted by akzo (64 posts) -

I've seen some articles and such, but I pass right over them. So many big games, and Rayman being so nondescript it doesn't surprise me.

With so many good games out (some very time consuming) over the past two months, who has time for this now?

And I haven't seen anything in this thread to confirm the 5k number. I tried to find some, but I couldn't.

#82 Edited by countinhallways (630 posts) -

Well like @Questionable said, the game isn't out till this Friday in Europe and the Rayman brand seems to be fairly strong on the mainland from what I can tell. Certainly the Raving Rabbids do well.

I hope this game does okay. Beautiful art style and plays incredibly well. I can see how the price is a sticking point for many, but from what I can gather the game is actually pretty well fleshed-out, with plenty of content to sink time into. I think it is a shame that simply being a 2d platformer these days causes expectation of a budget release. A lot of work was clearly put into the game, what with creating an entirely new engine for it and all. And the amount of care and attention with which the creators have treated this game could put a lot of higher profile releases to shame.

Still, I guess reality is a harsh mistress and the fact of the matter is that with such an incredible holiday lineup this year, and with the apparent budget tag that these kind of games are labelled with at the moment, this game was always destined to be something of a sales nightmare.

And Ubisoft teasing BG&E2, hinting at how its creation could depend on strong sales for Rayman: Origins, is poor form of the highest order. They really need to get their head out of the sand at the moment. They are already doing their best to alienate an entire platform audience (PC), and behaviour like this is creating a noticeable amount of animosity being sent their way on many a game forum around at the minute. And plenty of those criticisms are actually well reasoned and sane. In other words the more worrying kind of criticism to have aimed at you, not just the inane babble of a sea of fools.

#83 Posted by Revan_NL (343 posts) -

I really don't understand any of this. Anyone with two working braincells could have guessed that releasing a game like Rayman Origins full price in the october/november period would get slaughtered. I thought the industry learned from holiday 2008, when titles like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space drowned in the flood of AAA titles. Dead Space 2 was released in January and sold a lot better. It's no wonder why EA decided to push ME3 to March 2012 (to get out of the way of Skyrim) and The Darkness 2 was pushed to Q2 2012 (to avoid BF3 and MW3).

Besides that, judging from the demo Rayman Origins really did feel like a XBLA/PSN game rather then a game that should be sold for $60 at retail. Sometimes I really do wonder how big publishers like Ubisoft make idiotic decisions like this.

#84 Posted by redbliss (648 posts) -

I played the demo and absolutely loved it. However, I can completely understand why the game is not selling well. Ubisoft should have never made the game $60. I dont know how much they spent to make the game and I understand how good the game is, but no one is going to pay $60 for that game, especially with Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, Zelda, and all the other games coming out around this time. That was a dumb move on Ubisoft's part. Everyone was talking about how WB sent LotR to die, well Ubisoft sent Rayman to die (which is worse because Rayman is actually a great game).

By the way, Rayman might have the best music I have heard this generation. I am certainly going to pick the game up, but I am probably going to wait until the game is $40, which may be the price Ubisoft should have charged in the first place.

#85 Posted by Tesla (1945 posts) -

I was all ready to not only buy the game, but make sure my brothers that live in different states bought it too so we could all play together. Then I found out there was no online co-op. Inexcusable for a full priced, cooperative game in 2011.

What a shame that this game was basically stillborn. So much potential just flushed down the toilet. I'm sure the game is still fun, I guess I'll find out when I pull it out of the bargain bin in a month or two.

#86 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11421 posts) -

It can't be that low. That's worse than Shadows of the Damned, which didn't even have brand recognition, just crazy people like me who like Suda 51 games.

#87 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Tesla said:

I was all ready to not only buy the game, but make sure my brothers that live in different states bought it too so we could all play together. Then I found out there was no online co-op. Inexcusable for a full priced, cooperative game in 2011.

What a shame that this game was basically stillborn. So much potential just flushed down the toilet. I'm sure the game is still fun, I guess I'll find out when I pull it out of the bargain bin in a month or two.

It worked for New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

#88 Posted by Tesla (1945 posts) -

@Hailinel: True, but I think Mario can get away with stuff like that. Plus the nature of the Wii lends itself more to the "everyone on the couch" co-op. If you're putting something out on PS3 or 360 that is meant to be played with others, you are really limiting sales if there is no online component.

#89 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

This just means the price will drop faster - to a price more appropriate for the game in the first place.

#90 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

Besides the reasons mentioned, the fact that it's a full-price retail release hurt.

I'd planned to lay out some cash for it, then I realised it was £4. I couldn't justify that at the moment.

#91 Posted by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

I have absolutely no recollection of when and how Rayman apparently became a big deal.

#92 Edited by mariussmit (247 posts) -

Releasing the game at this time is clearly a fault on the publisher's part. I played the demo and enjoyed it, but there is now way it is standing out among the current batch of games - most games won't. Now I wonder, if it fails and the layoffs come, will it be at the publisher or the developer?

#93 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

who the FUCK thought releasing this as retail was a good idea?

#94 Posted by bobafettjm (1476 posts) -

I do REALLY want this game, but with having to buy Christmas presents for people looming in the near future, theres no way I can swing $60 for it.

#95 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

It's official: platforming is for jerks.

#96 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

Honestly Rayman Origins seems cool but Ubisoft could not have handled it more poorly. A $60 2D sidescroller with a mascot that hasn't seen any action in years and recieves no promotion, obviously put it up against the stiffest competition for consumers interests for the year. Seriously why does Ubisoft hate Rayman? I loved Rayman 2 back in the day and even liked the less exciting Rayman 3.

#97 Posted by hmmisee (144 posts) -

I'd agree, leading up to it's released I have barely heard of origins. It's such a good game and it's defitenly worth the 5/5 review, I've even bought it as a christmas present a few times. It's $55 in Australia and that says a lot as the average new release for a wii game is $80-110. Such a shame that a great game is being overshadowed by many mediocre games.

#98 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

Of course the game flopped. They've had zero publicity, it came out when all the super popular stuff was being released, it looks at first glance (and that's all anyone will give it) like a $15 XBLA game that costs 4 times that. Not to mention the fact that there are very few people who even remember Rayman, and even less who care about his origin story. Between MW3, Skyrim and Zelda, I already have more games than I have time to play. There are about 10 others that came out in the past few weeks which I would get before Rayman, and there's a high probability that I won't even end up playing half of them.

#99 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

@ProfessorEss said:

I have absolutely no recollection of when and how Rayman apparently became a big deal.

Dude, Rayman 2 and 3 each sold 4-5 million copies in their original release, not counting their various ports.

#100 Posted by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

@buzz_killington said:

@ProfessorEss said:

Dude, Rayman 2 and 3 each sold 4-5 million copies in their original release, not counting their various ports.

Probably just my personal exposure to it. Rayman's always been around, just never caught the interest of me or my circles I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.