Less that 5,000 copies sold (?)

• 186 results
#101 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

>.> Bought the Wii version for $30.

#102 Posted by Hailinel (22711 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

who the FUCK thought releasing this as retail was a good idea?

The genre has worked for Nintendo, plain and simple. Ubisoft probable saw the numbers that games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns pulled in, and thought that they could do well with their own revival of the original Rayman. The problem is that they kinda sorta forgot to advertise the game, and also not release it at a time of the year when it was sure to be crushed. NSMBW and DKCR could do well during the holidays because those are both big-name Nintendo franchises that were given sufficient advertising to get the word out. Ubisoft did comparatively jack shit for Rayman.

#103 Posted by tme (10 posts) -

If they put this out anywhere between March and September i would have gotten it, but November? Cmon now Ubisoft..

#104 Posted by csl316 (7354 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:

@Delta_Ass said:

It's a 2D sidescroller with a 60 dollar sticker price going up against the biggest titles of the year. No shit it flopped.

Didn't New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Returns and Kirby's Epic Yarn all sell for just about the same price?

Sure, releasing it right now was ridiculous.  But I'm having trouble trying to understand why the price is an issue for a full featured game with excellent production values.
#105 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe I should go buy a copy to help them out... 5,001 copies sold now.

#106 Posted by YoungFrey (1319 posts) -

A quick look at Amazon shows all 3 versions are doing abysmally. All ranks are amongst all videogames.

• PS3: 513st
  • Wii: 548th
  • 360: 691st

Amazon doesn't even list out past 100 for all games. But if you look in just the 360 adventure category (where it's 22), it's behind: The Force Unleashed II, Left 4 Dead 2, Tron: Evolution, GTA 4, and Fallout New Vegas.

#107 Posted by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -
@csl316 Because it doesn't stand a chance against the other games that are priced at $60 no matter how good you think the game is.
#108 Posted by Hunkulese (2527 posts) -

Waiting for the 3DS version

#109 Posted by csl316 (7354 posts) -
@Afroman269 Right, the other games around it are kiling its sales. But I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with releasing it at $60. The only issue is releasing it now.

Anyway, it sucks that it's doing so poorly.
#110 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4480 posts) -

I genuinely find it disgusting that a game like this will flop while shit like MW3, the eighth game in it's series to be released in as many years with almost zero evolution, will sell millions to the mouth-breathing cuntnuggets that buy the same game every year.

#111 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

Yeah, it sounds about right.

#112 Posted by Legxend (124 posts) -

I did'nt even know this was a retail release I always thought this was a downloadable title.

#113 Posted by drevilbones (89 posts) -

I have to say, if you like 2D platformers, this game really is worth the price. I was disappointed by Nintendo's recent offerings (DKC Returns, NSMB Wii, Kirby's Epic Yarn, etc). They all seemed to lack a certain... something. Challenge? I guess? But also just the sheer joy of the movement of the characters; the responsiveness of the controls and the feeling that the character has weight and momentum. The Nintendo games (with the exception of Epic Yarn) also seem to lack a certain humor and joy about themselves that Rayman Origins has in spades. Seriously, it's like non-stop party time in there. Hell, the story itself is about attacking grumpy, bored enemies with pure glee.

I am saddened that creative success requires marketing to be monetary success. Don't wait for a commercial to tell you to "strap it on" before you buy a game. Take a chance, read the site, do some research, and support good ideas!

#114 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

My local supermarket does not even stock it, they did not stock Child of Eden for PS3 or No More Heroes Paradise either.

#115 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

wtf is rayman

#116 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

I'm planning on getting it eventually, but only after the price drops. I have to play Skyrim and Skyward Sword in the mean time, not to mention I need to beat the last boss in Dark Souls. It will be a nice change of pace when I do get it though.

#117 Edited by composite (129 posts) -

Release it on Steam at a $40 price point: I'm in. I just can't seem to wrap my head around a $60 dollar disc game that is comparable to the higher end XBLA games out there.

Edit: It does look amazing though, my point is expectations wise I believed this was a downloadable title, whether that was ever explicitly stated or not.

#118 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

@composite: It was originally going to be a downloadable episodic series. Ubisoft decided to delay it, and turn it into a full retail release..

Shame too, the game is amazing, but releasing it November was always going to be death. It came out on the same day as Mario 3DS Land and Skyward Sword for crying out loud.

#119 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

@Delta_Ass said:

It's a 2D sidescroller with a 60 dollar sticker price going up against the biggest titles of the year. No shit it flopped.

Funny how you could've said the same thing about New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns, both of which sold incredibly well.

Of course, the major difference is that Nintendo advertised those games and Ubisoft couldn't've been bothered with Rayman.

Exactly. Hell, the game went completely silent for a year.
#120 Posted by jeffb01 (26 posts) -

I just bought it for $40 today at gamestop. Any other time of the year, it would of been a day one purchase, but I bought two other games on the 15th, so I decided to wait until I was done with those or the price came down. well, the price came down.

#121 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@drevilbones: You are crazy. Donkey Kong Country Returns was fantastic and challenging. That being said Rayman Origins is the best side-scrolling game since Yoshi's Island so you are at least right about this game.

#122 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

@Sjosz said:

There's no way 5000 can be right. Also, it's a fantastic game, it certainly doesn't deserve to flop if it does.

Enslaved was also a fantastic game, and look what happened there.

#123 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot: that sucks, played the demo, it seemed amazing but no way would i buy it over Skyrim, saints row and battlefield 3

#124 Posted by captain_clayman (3300 posts) -

shit isnt fair.  there's a MILLION other games coming out.  THEY PUT IT OUT THE SAME DAY ASS ASSASSIN'S CREED!!  nobody's gonna buy a sidescroller for 60 dollars when there's skyrim, zelda, cod, assasin's creed, saints row, battlefield...honestly i thought it was gonna be an xbla/psn game and i would have totally bought it.

#125 Posted by Nux (2208 posts) -

If this is true I can how this is possable. Too meany big games just came out, they should of waited untill December or Januray.

#126 Posted by GS_Dan (1396 posts) -

Unfortunate but predictable. For ages I didn't know that it was retail, and outside of Giantbomb and E3 I haven't seen any publicity for it.

#127 Posted by BadNews (490 posts) -

I think it's probably not doing that bad. I know that all the other big games are almost all M titles. Parents seem to be backing off such purchases recently, also when ever someone approaches the counter I almost always recommend it by just saying "Hey do you like mario but only own a PS3 and 360?" They almost always say yes save for a like 2 out of like 100 and usually they say "I only play call of duty" otherwise I tell them to check out rayman. Got quite a few reserves for it as well and more people picked up rayman than saints row on the midnight release. At least at my location. Everyone I pitched saints row to they all said they prefer Grand Theft Auto eye vee.

#128 Posted by JohnLocke (237 posts) -

I hope the game does well enough for more creative games like it to follow. I like 2D platform games and this one has a charm that keeps me playing. Fingers crossed sales pick up for it, I really recommend it to any 2d platform game fan (it handles really well and has that balance between a children's game and an adult game in it is simplistic but has solid handling and scores and hidden areas give yo a challenge).

#129 Posted by Zor (653 posts) -

Well, that number should now be 5,001 now since i picked up a copy of the game on Friday. Hopefully that 5,000 number was wrong to begin with, but we won't find out until next year some time.

#130 Posted by Torrim (326 posts) -

Everyone is worried about sales because of franchise potential, but the game is out there and release. It's not like poor sales will erase the game out of existence. I pretty much could tell you this would be a one off. Note that I'm not saying the OP is legit on stats, but I honestly don't think it's going to reign in gangbusters.

#131 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Delta_Ass said:

Funny how you could've said the same thing about New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns, both of which sold incredibly well.

Of course, the major difference is that Nintendo advertised those games and Ubisoft couldn't've been bothered with Rayman.

Also, NSMBWii and DKCR are part of franchises that are much more popular than Rayman. There hasn't even been a proper Rayman in a while. Seems people have forgotten just what Rayman was.

#132 Edited by Djratchet (664 posts) -

It came out against ACR and SR3.... Completely got overshadowed, like others said.

Also, the $60 tag isn't doing it any favors. I hear it is worth it, But the general buyer's perception nowadays is that $60 is waaay too much for a 2D sidescroller.

Also, you know why those Wii games do so well? There are so many Wiis out there, and the amount of good games for the system is depressing compared to 360/PS3. So when they see, say, a Mario/Kirby/DK game, one of THE reasons they bought a Wii in the first place, of course they get it.

#133 Posted by Shaunage (641 posts) -

Well I bought it.

#134 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

Oh man fuck this industry

#135 Edited by Chaser324 (5966 posts) -

@Shaunage said:

Well I bought it.

Yeah, I just picked it up for $40 on Amazon this weekend when it was on sale.

#136 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

Can't wait to pick it up for $10.

#137 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

Bought it for $40 over the weekend because I love platformers, especially those with collectibles. Not playing it until Xmas, however.

#138 Posted by JauntyHat (310 posts) -

That's a real shame if it's true... Just rented the game and it's fantastic. Really thinking about picking it up now.

#139 Posted by ozzdog12 (846 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

5000 sounds way too low, but I wasn't expecting this to be a sales success. It's being released in a crowded release window with a million high profile games coming out from Skyward Sword to Skyrim to Modern Warfare 3. It's just getting crowded out. It looks amazing, but scheduling it to be released this month was a huuuuuuuge mistake.

I rented it through GameFly. I enjoyed it, but def not enough to buy it. But your right

#140 Posted by big_jon (5657 posts) -

I will buy it when it's 40$.

#141 Edited by Lnin0 (127 posts) -

Posted over at Eurogamer so this is the UK top 40 chart. I can't imagine Rayman did better in North America.

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has won a third week atop of the UK all format charts, while several other major launches suffered. Bloody co-op RPG Lord of the Rings: War in the North could only muster a 38th place entry, while Ubisoft's cel-shaded platformer Rayman: Origins failed to chart altogether."

#142 Edited by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

$60 is a rough price for a 2D platformer that doesn't have Mario in it. The timing didn't help, but I think they could have put this out in a gaming dead zone and the results would be almost the same. The day of the $60 2D platformer passed well over a decade ago. Mario can get away with it... but hell, Mario games are only $50.

This should have been a $15 XBLA game, no matter what that meant for length or production values.

#143 Edited by Lnin0 (127 posts) -

I wonder if Ubi isn't just fishing right now with this full priced retail release. Even the idiots at Ubisoft have to realize a $60 cute, 2D platformer with absolutely no advertising is not going to do any sales this time of year. So they push out a small run of retail copies and milk the die hard fanbase for all they can. Then in 6 month, right during the summer drought, ramp up advertising and push this out as a download. Since its 'retail' re-release it gets to go in the games on demand section where a $20-25 price tag seems reasonable (especially a critically acclaimed title), as opposed to the arcade section where people scoff at $15 games. So maybe their plan is to release this as a downloadable game all along.

#144 Posted by composite (129 posts) -

@Lnin0 I think you are giving Ubi waaaaaay too much credit. Like a good conspiracy theory: never attribute malice (in this case a well thought out secret plan) when good ol' incompetence will suffice. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor

Ubi is just marching out all Michel Ancel's work to die so he will leave the company and stop bothering them about Beyond Good and Evil 2.

#145 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Lnin0 said:

I wonder if Ubi isn't just fishing right now with this full priced retail release. Even the idiots at Ubisoft have to realize a $60 cute, 2D platformer with absolutely no advertising is not going to do any sales this time of year. So they push out a small run of retail copies and milk the die hard fanbase for all they can. Then in 6 month, right during the summer drought, ramp up advertising and push this out as a download. Since its 'retail' re-release it gets to go in the games on demand section where a $20-25 price tag seems reasonable (especially a critically acclaimed title), as opposed to the arcade section where people scoff at $15 games. So maybe their plan is to release this as a downloadable game all along.

The problem is that even if it looks similar to some download games it is far beyond the scope of any of them. It has the content and quality of a full priced retail game. However they needed to fight the perception that it wasn't. In this they have failed miserably. Even though it is totally has the content to justify a full release if they cannot convince people that it is a $60 dollar value it by definition is no longer worth $60 even if it should be. It is too large to ever be released on XBLA. No doubt it will go up on Games on Demand but it will still be a $40 dollar game (and objectively worth every penny) and a PSN release will follow the same pricing structure. Damn fine game that was only let down by Ubisoft's failure at marketing. Though I have seen some advertising during my daughters cartoons so they are at least targeting that market.

@Lnin0 said:

Posted over at Eurogamer so this is the UK top 40 chart. I can't imagine Rayman did better in North America.

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has won a third week atop of the UK all format charts, while several other major launches suffered. Bloody co-op RPG Lord of the Rings: War in the North could only muster a 38th place entry, while Ubisoft's cel-shaded platformer Rayman: Origins failed to chart altogether."

Also take this with a grain of salt since the game has only been out in Europe for a handful of dates and I don't know when the list was posted but the game only had one or todays on market top. It is not fair to compare it until we see if it places next week.

#146 Posted by Vanek (376 posts) -

The only thing I can add to this discussion is that for some reason when I checked yesterday on PSN it was priced at £47.99 for the digital download. What The Fuck?

If they want to totally overprice the game, no matter how good it looks or is, then I find it hard to really care if it fails. I'm aware that the store prices are lower but it's still poorly thought out.

#147 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

The hell is Rayman

#148 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Vanek: Forgive me my ignorance but is that not the normal retail price of games?

#149 Edited by Vanek (376 posts) -

@TentPole: Unfortunately not my good man. In the UK (I'm assuming you're not from the UK) you would get a boxed game for somewhere between £35 - £40.

I would expect a digital version to be cheaper than a boxed copy, but somehow that isn't the case. I'll probably still get it once it drops to a reasonable price though.

#150 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -

lol Ubisoft.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.