Rayman Origins Demo

#1 Edited by Timing (618 posts) -

is now on PSN and XBLM (link)! Go download it, because it's amazing.

... will be on PSN later today and on XBLM tomorrow (look for it here). It will feature three levels: one Jungle, one Food and one Ocean level. Apparently you'll also be able to unlock a new costume by collecting nine Electoons (source).

I don't know about you guys, but I've been very hyped for this game ever since it was first shown at E3 last year. In case you still need convincing, here's some new gameplay:

#2 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

Looks like Loco Roco fused with SMB Wii.

#3 Posted by Kookro (109 posts) -

Looks really fun.

#4 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I really want to play this, sadly I don't have the money.

#5 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Damn, this game looks gorgeous.

#6 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Thanks for the heads-up. I want to see this beautiful game running on my TV in front of me.

#7 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I'm really excited about the game, but I'll be waiting until next year for it. They picked a horrible time to release it.

#8 Posted by Timing (618 posts) -

Demo is now up on the US PlayStation Store. It's 455 MB, currently rated 4.81/5. I'm done downloading, will edit or post again later with impressions.

I removed the quotation marks around Electoons in the OP, since at first I thought it was a made up species for this game, but it turns out I just totally forgot the name, as they've been around since Rayman 1. Shame on me.

#9 Posted by EthanielRain (757 posts) -

I've never played a Rayman game and don't really like platformers in general, but I DL'd the demo and am very glad I did. The game seems fantastic all around: gorgeous graphics, great sound, tight controls, cool unlockables (maybe?).

My only complaint is that it seems like it'll be too hard for my young nieces.

#10 Edited by Timing (618 posts) -

This. Is. AWESOME.

The tight yet fluid gameplay, the highly context-sensitive and cheerful music, the beautiful art and animations, all in native 1080p at 60 fps, it's amazing. I can't wait for the full game.

I absolutely urge everyone to try this demo. If it's at all any indication, then Nintendo Power was right in giving this game a 9.5/10 (and keep in mind that's the 480p Wii version).

@EthanielRain said:

I've never played a Rayman game and don't really like platformers in general, but I DL'd the demo and am very glad I did. The game seems fantastic all around: gorgeous graphics, great sound, tight controls, cool unlockables (maybe?).

My only complaint is that it seems like it'll be too hard for my young nieces.

Definitely some cool unlockables, if you collect all nine of the Electoons (the pink things trapped in cages) you'll get a new Globox skin. Edit: it's a Rayman skin on the 360 version. The trailer at the end is also different. Hm.

As for your nieces, you might be right, but I think this is a very different game in multiplayer than in single player. Whereas in New Super Mario Bros. Wii the multiplayer just added to the mayhem and probably made the game harder, I think here it's the other way around. Sure, it's hectic as heck (ha), but since everyone has unlimited lives and just immediately goes to bubble form once they die, the game won't ever end as long as at least one person is still alive. And even then, if the checkpointing in the demo is representative of the full game, it never sets you back very far either.

#11 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Timing: its a seriously good demo, cant wait for the final product.

#12 Posted by Dscream (10 posts) -

The first Rayman was amazing, I kind of skipped out on the 3d ones since they didn't look that great, I'll definitely start downloading this when I'm at my Xbox later!

Thanks for the heads up aha

#13 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

"Not available in your region" 

COME ON NOW M$

#14 Posted by ozzdog12 (856 posts) -

I was super impressed with the demo

#15 Posted by autobzooty (96 posts) -

Demo was awesome, I went back to get all the hidden collectables and loved every moment. I like how it's not too challenging unless you want to get all the lums to get a good score in the end, and then it becomes super challenging.

Looks great in 1080p, too.

#16 Posted by bwheeeler (418 posts) -

That demo was great. As much as I'd like to buy it at launch, I'll wait for it to inevitably go down to $30 in a couple of weeks.

#17 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

Looks like Donkey Kong Country Returns.

#18 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

I could only play the first level due to time but I thought it was great. The controls felt really good and the graphics are amazing. Neat soundtrack too.

#19 Posted by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

This game needs more love. Sadly Ubisoft is sending it to die like a lamb to slaughter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.