Rayman Origins Is An Episodic Release For "HD Consoles"

Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

In the midst of Ubisoft's press conference reveal of Rayman Origins, the company's Ubiart blog (the "collective of artists" developing the game) posted a brief Q&A providing more detail about the game's release. Specifically, the Q&A revealed that Rayman Origins will be a downloadable episodic release, rather than the full retail product like previous Rayman platofrmers.   

This image makes me laugh every time I see it.

The developers aren't saying how many episodes will be released, how long an individual episode will take to complete, or the amount of time separating each episode. However, the Q&A does reveal that the development team wants each part of Rayman Origins to abide by a "golden rule." 

...the size of each episode and its replayability must be important enough to make the players feel … fulfilled.

== TEASER ==The Q&A extols the virtues of episodic development, claiming that this format allows the team to "imagine a longer and more developed saga than with a more 'classical' format." The Q&A also explains that this format allows them to charge less money for their games (as anyone whose paid $35 for a five-episode Sam and Max season can attest to). However, the Ubiart team wants the first episode of Rayman Origins to be "biiiiiig." Look how many times the letter "I" appears in the word big! And that's a direct quote from the Q&A! The size of that first episode must be ridiculous.

The other interesting tidbit revealed in the Q&A is that the team hopes to have that first "biiiiiig" episode of Rayman Origins launched this year on "HD consoles." No specific console is actually mentioned, which seems like a very peculiar way to announce your game's platforms.  As Ubisoft says in the Q&A:

Why in full HD?
Simply because the game already runs in this incredible image format and this really highlights the artist’s work. This doesn’t prevent us from thinking about other consoles but we are a small team so we need to set priorities.

While the phrasing seems designed to not commit to any decision one way or the other, the Q&A sure makes it sound like that Rayman Origins is, for the foreseeable future, coming to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 but not the Wii. We'll know for sure when (and if!) the downloadable game is released later this year.  

With its gorgeous art and upbeat silliness, Rayman Origins was one of my favorite surprises of this E3, a standout in a year that was (surprisingly!) chock-a-block with 2D platformers. However, I'm not convinced that a 2D platformer is the right genre for an episodic release, that people will want to come back and play new levels for a game that isn't mechanically changing from episode to episode. I guess we'll see how well Sonic 4 does.

How do you folks feel about episodic platformers? Can the genre that brought us Mario and Sonic work and be entertaining in more smaller, more manageable, cheaper installments? What does a platformer have to do to keep consumers coming back to the game month after month, throughout the entirety of a game's season?
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

In the midst of Ubisoft's press conference reveal of Rayman Origins, the company's Ubiart blog (the "collective of artists" developing the game) posted a brief Q&A providing more detail about the game's release. Specifically, the Q&A revealed that Rayman Origins will be a downloadable episodic release, rather than the full retail product like previous Rayman platofrmers.   

This image makes me laugh every time I see it.

The developers aren't saying how many episodes will be released, how long an individual episode will take to complete, or the amount of time separating each episode. However, the Q&A does reveal that the development team wants each part of Rayman Origins to abide by a "golden rule." 

...the size of each episode and its replayability must be important enough to make the players feel … fulfilled.

== TEASER ==The Q&A extols the virtues of episodic development, claiming that this format allows the team to "imagine a longer and more developed saga than with a more 'classical' format." The Q&A also explains that this format allows them to charge less money for their games (as anyone whose paid $35 for a five-episode Sam and Max season can attest to). However, the Ubiart team wants the first episode of Rayman Origins to be "biiiiiig." Look how many times the letter "I" appears in the word big! And that's a direct quote from the Q&A! The size of that first episode must be ridiculous.

The other interesting tidbit revealed in the Q&A is that the team hopes to have that first "biiiiiig" episode of Rayman Origins launched this year on "HD consoles." No specific console is actually mentioned, which seems like a very peculiar way to announce your game's platforms.  As Ubisoft says in the Q&A:

Why in full HD?
Simply because the game already runs in this incredible image format and this really highlights the artist’s work. This doesn’t prevent us from thinking about other consoles but we are a small team so we need to set priorities.

While the phrasing seems designed to not commit to any decision one way or the other, the Q&A sure makes it sound like that Rayman Origins is, for the foreseeable future, coming to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 but not the Wii. We'll know for sure when (and if!) the downloadable game is released later this year.  

With its gorgeous art and upbeat silliness, Rayman Origins was one of my favorite surprises of this E3, a standout in a year that was (surprisingly!) chock-a-block with 2D platformers. However, I'm not convinced that a 2D platformer is the right genre for an episodic release, that people will want to come back and play new levels for a game that isn't mechanically changing from episode to episode. I guess we'll see how well Sonic 4 does.

How do you folks feel about episodic platformers? Can the genre that brought us Mario and Sonic work and be entertaining in more smaller, more manageable, cheaper installments? What does a platformer have to do to keep consumers coming back to the game month after month, throughout the entirety of a game's season?
#2 Edited by Crono11 (1645 posts) -

I can get down with some Rayman. As long as the episodes aren't too expensive and are of good quality then yeah I don't mind. Then again that can go with pretty much anything.

#3 Posted by KarlPilkington (2714 posts) -

More like Gayman, nah I'm jokin he's cool.

#4 Posted by ribeye (411 posts) -

dammit man, do you guys have like a team of people logged in as you hitting refresh or what lol
#5 Posted by TheMasterDS (2048 posts) -

I think the format makes sense. That said, I'm not too into it. I like my platformers full, but then I like sequels that are little more than DLC packs. Hey, DLC! Why don't they just do that?

#6 Posted by Tsukiyomi (77 posts) -

It'll never be the same... :(

#7 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

What's with all this "What do YOU think?" crap? 

I thought these two were only employed for the E3 period...

#8 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Man, nothing beats the original Rayman, but I'm still super psyched for epic release. Also, I love the idea of releasing it in episodes.

#9 Posted by MjHealy (1842 posts) -

I would prefer just to get one big Rayman game but I still am pretty stoked about this game.

#10 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -

I need to get more than an hour into Rayman 2, that game was fun.

#11 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4600 posts) -
@MysteriousBob: Because the 'original four' never say that in THEIR articles. Chill out, jeez. 

@SPACETURTLE said:
" Man, nothing beats the original Rayman, 
     I don't remember ever playing the first, but 2 and 3 were pretty damn awesome. I mean, come on: What other game has psychedelic trans-dimensional surfing?

Kinda wish this was a full 3-D game, but I'll take my Raymans however I can get em.
#12 Posted by Milkman (16647 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" What's with all this "What do YOU think?" crap?  I thought these two were only employed for the E3 period... "
Almost every Giant Bomb article has had that "What do you think?" thing at the end, way before Matt and Brad joined.
#13 Posted by Ghostiet (5249 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" What's with all this "What do YOU think?" crap?  I thought these two were only employed for the E3 period... "
Almost every Giant Bomb article has had that "What do you think?" thing at the end, way before Matt and Brad joined. "
It's still a good occasion to be a total bitch for no good reason.
#14 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I may check this out.

#15 Posted by Ohvee (145 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
Uh oh, someone's jealous! 

I can't wait for this. The first Rayman was a good platformer, but managed to feel a bit dry. Rayman 2 is probably my favorite 3d platformer outside of the Mario games. 

The art for this looks amazing. Rayman and Globox greeting each other by slapping is hilarious.
#16 Posted by sfighter21 (798 posts) -

Rayman Origins: Beginnings: Wolverine

#17 Posted by CharlesSurge (126 posts) -

Still waiting for a successor to Rayman 2...

#18 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

What they should do is shareware this - put like the first 2-3 levels up for free as a demo.  Then episode 1 is the next X levels, etc.

#19 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -

I really really really want to play this game. I'll get it for 360 unless the gods are in my favor and there is a Steam release. We can only hope.

#20 Posted by fastidious (89 posts) -

Looks, promising but I'll have to see what the price to content ratio is on these episodes first.

#21 Posted by Noisician (77 posts) -

Ugh, I hate episodic releasing. Just give me a full game, it's not a TV show.

#22 Posted by Rodiard (437 posts) -

Hmm...

#23 Posted by MartinG (157 posts) -

Seems like Rayman - and I love it.

#24 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Damn that looks good.

#25 Posted by artofwar420 (6284 posts) -

Rayman makes me happy inside, got a lot of memories from playing that when I was but a tiny tot.

#26 Posted by FoxMulder (1671 posts) -

I have fond memories of playing a Rayman game on the PC!!!  Hope this brings some nostalgia to me!!

#27 Edited by MattBodega (1904 posts) -
@CharlesSurge: I mean, technically, Rayman 3 is the sequel to Rayman 2. But believe me, friend, I catch your drift.
#28 Edited by spartan1017 (222 posts) -

i'm pretty frickin' excited about this!
i hope this bridges rayman 1 and 2

#29 Posted by 88Fingers (279 posts) -

This is clearly my most anticipated game of 2010.
The art and humor is endearing!
I will gladly buy this type of game over
another friggin' bald space marine, 1st person war shooter.
(those games need to die, along with the rock band/guitar hero genre)

We need more hand drawn 2-D games.

#30 Posted by DickDanger (105 posts) -

As soon as I saw this announced, I yell "YES!" finally he's back! I cannot wait for this platformer!

#31 Posted by Olimar_91 (34 posts) -

I haven't dabbled in episodic releases much in the past, but I'm absolutely interested in it, at least as far as downloadable games are concerned. Breaking up a more complete experience into bite sized bits, which are complete in a sense in themselves. It's like getting controlled doses, since you can stop anytime you have had enough, but you can also purchase everything and get what would have otherwise likely cost around 60 dollars and been released on a single disk.

#32 Posted by cikame (992 posts) -

Oh for god sake, this was one of my favorites coming from e3 but not anymore.
Haven't purchased anything episodic yet, still not planning to... Orange Box doesn't count, i'll wait and see if there's a combined package i can get when all the episodes are released.

#33 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

I don't care if it comes in episodic content; I WANT IT! :)
#34 Posted by JohnnytheFuture (11 posts) -

Very glad they're getting back to "origins" and ridding themselves of the mini-game mentality seen in all the Rabbid games.

#35 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

While I don't like the idea of episodic releases,
I can guarantee that I will be getting all of them.

#36 Posted by Tordah (2478 posts) -

Well, I guess this means I'll purchase it way later when it comes packaged with all episodes.

#37 Posted by NuDimon (169 posts) -
@Stroyent said:
" Ugh, I hate episodic releasing. Just give me a full game, it's not a TV show. "
Or is it? :o
#38 Posted by Carlos1408 (1500 posts) -

This actually looks really cool. I played some Rayman as a kid but I never finished a game. This might be my first. Don't know if I'll do the episodic thing yet, we'll see. I might just do as others have and buy all of them once they're all out. We shall see!

#39 Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n (762 posts) -
@JohnnytheFuture said:
" Very glad they're getting back to "origins" and ridding themselves of the mini-game mentality seen in all the Rabbid games. "
DING DING DING, winning statement here.
#40 Posted by Althox (292 posts) -

Loved the fist Rayman, and still do. And I'm really looking forward to this release, looks a bit interesting.

#41 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -
@MattBodega: I think it makes a lot of sense to deliver a game like this episodically.  It's a lot to ask to pay $60 for Rayman in today's market, and a $35 pill is easier to swallow if they spread it out into, for instance, 5 payments of $7 through the marketplace.
#42 Posted by Draco9898 (162 posts) -

I'd rather have a full game on initial release and have extra challenging levels or 'campaigns' afterward as DLC.

#43 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

Episodic platformers are a waste of time. Just give people the full game, and don't make them wait! And, games like this should be released for all consoles.

#44 Posted by iHaxedAllReconCodez (135 posts) -

Oh the good old days of Raymen Arena on the PS2 :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.