Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rayman Origins

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

Officially revealed at Ubisoft's 2010 E3 press briefing, Rayman Origins is a new 2D Rayman game developed by Michel Ancel and a small team, taking the series back to its roots.

The Greatest Game You'll Never Play

Yokelbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Yokelbloke

I've never been a massive fan of Rayman. My experiences with his franchise has been limited to playing the original at a friends place when I was knee high and a brief flirt with Rayman: Raving Rabbids when I picked it up free with my Wii purchase. I don't actively dislike the character, he just sort of existed for me, a 'beloved' character that I just never got into.

Until this morning.

I had been hearing increasingly positive things about Rayman: Origins from the various video game sites I frequent. Positive reviews, cries of 'BUY THIS GAME' from reviewers and people whose opinion I trust, people who have generally had the same or similar tastes as my own. I looked into it, and had the same reaction I think everyone will initially have when they look at it. Its a 2D, cartoon platformer, with a full retail release price? ($99 in my neck of the woods, Australia). What? No, thats not right, this stuff is released digitally, for $15-$20, right?

I put it out of my mind, with so many massive time sink titles already threatening to clutter my desk, no way I could devote time and money into this weird thing.

So, to get to the point, I picked up my copy of Skyward Sword and Super Mario 3D this morning. I was trading in some games, and I had some credit left over. The universe aligned, just as the staff member selling me these two titles, I have yet to even unwrap as a result of this confluence of events, was asking me if I wanted anything else, the other staff member opened their delivery box, revealing a half dozen copies of Rayman: Origins. 'Ooh, I'll take a copy of that' I said, without thinking, all the positive praise for the title flooding into my conscious, causing me to not think, just do.

I got home, three games in hand, what to do first? Well, my 3DS hasn't been turned on for well over two months, so I set that on the charging cradle. Wii needs an update to play Skyward Sword? Ok, I'll whack Origins in then, give it a couple of levels, then jump into Skyward Sword.

Four and a half hours later, and I cannot put Rayman down. It prompted me to write this post, something I have never done before, I have messaged all my friends, begging them to try it out, my girlfriend is actually hanging out with me, watching me play a game. She might even be convinced to join me. It is such an amazing experience. Nothing looks like it. The animation is simply astonishing, and COLOUR! COLOURS, I had almost forgotten what they looked like! I don't know how long it will last, at this point I no longer care. It has been such a refreshing change from the drab, realistic, gritty experiences of the past three months that the price for admission has been worth it.

If your sick of Military dudes, shooting other Military dudes, or swinging swords at dragons, or punching guys, get Rayman. Even if you don't, get Rayman. It is such a beatiful, surreal experience, so expertly crafted, and just so damn FUN, as the title of this post suggests, most everyone won't play it. I can't blame anyone for that decision, but I do pity anyone who doesn't.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to it. Those Electoos won't collect themselves!

Yokelbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Yokelbloke

I've never been a massive fan of Rayman. My experiences with his franchise has been limited to playing the original at a friends place when I was knee high and a brief flirt with Rayman: Raving Rabbids when I picked it up free with my Wii purchase. I don't actively dislike the character, he just sort of existed for me, a 'beloved' character that I just never got into.

Until this morning.

I had been hearing increasingly positive things about Rayman: Origins from the various video game sites I frequent. Positive reviews, cries of 'BUY THIS GAME' from reviewers and people whose opinion I trust, people who have generally had the same or similar tastes as my own. I looked into it, and had the same reaction I think everyone will initially have when they look at it. Its a 2D, cartoon platformer, with a full retail release price? ($99 in my neck of the woods, Australia). What? No, thats not right, this stuff is released digitally, for $15-$20, right?

I put it out of my mind, with so many massive time sink titles already threatening to clutter my desk, no way I could devote time and money into this weird thing.

So, to get to the point, I picked up my copy of Skyward Sword and Super Mario 3D this morning. I was trading in some games, and I had some credit left over. The universe aligned, just as the staff member selling me these two titles, I have yet to even unwrap as a result of this confluence of events, was asking me if I wanted anything else, the other staff member opened their delivery box, revealing a half dozen copies of Rayman: Origins. 'Ooh, I'll take a copy of that' I said, without thinking, all the positive praise for the title flooding into my conscious, causing me to not think, just do.

I got home, three games in hand, what to do first? Well, my 3DS hasn't been turned on for well over two months, so I set that on the charging cradle. Wii needs an update to play Skyward Sword? Ok, I'll whack Origins in then, give it a couple of levels, then jump into Skyward Sword.

Four and a half hours later, and I cannot put Rayman down. It prompted me to write this post, something I have never done before, I have messaged all my friends, begging them to try it out, my girlfriend is actually hanging out with me, watching me play a game. She might even be convinced to join me. It is such an amazing experience. Nothing looks like it. The animation is simply astonishing, and COLOUR! COLOURS, I had almost forgotten what they looked like! I don't know how long it will last, at this point I no longer care. It has been such a refreshing change from the drab, realistic, gritty experiences of the past three months that the price for admission has been worth it.

If your sick of Military dudes, shooting other Military dudes, or swinging swords at dragons, or punching guys, get Rayman. Even if you don't, get Rayman. It is such a beatiful, surreal experience, so expertly crafted, and just so damn FUN, as the title of this post suggests, most everyone won't play it. I can't blame anyone for that decision, but I do pity anyone who doesn't.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to it. Those Electoos won't collect themselves!

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jozzy

Get your gf in on it, it's at least twice more fun in coop. Yes, this is indeed a great game. Did you try some of those treasure chest chases, they are pretty tough.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

It's disappointing to see what's become of Rayman. First, his last platform adventure was turned into a party game. Then he was overtaken in popularity by the rabbids and subsequently dropped from a series that started with his name on it. Now he gets an excellently done remake of his first game, and Ubisoft shits the bed in releasing it at the absolute worst time of the year with little to no marketing support behind it.

Yokelbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yokelbloke

@jozzy: I've only tried the one, and after getting thrashed, decided I need a bit more practice :)

MidgardDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MidgardDragon

So should I get this for PS3? I initially thought this was a 3DS game, but I see that version isn't even out yet and that it doesn't have a release date. My options are PS3 and Wii, the only reason I'd go with the Wii version are if it has something special motion-control-wise or if it has some interconnectivity with the 3DS planned. Thoughts?

Yokelbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yokelbloke

@MidgardDragon: PS3. No idea what the Wii version is like, I have mine on 360. It runs at 1080p and looks stunning.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I'll play it, I'll play it.

drevilbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By drevilbones

Indeed, this game is seriously great. In a time when the hook for seemingly every game is RPG character progression and / or competitive multiplayer, it's refreshing to play a game where the hook is simply the thrill of controlling the on-screen characters and navigating the challenges.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Buscemi

I'm buying it tomorrow, it's going to be awesome playing Rayman again! Haven't done that since the second one!

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Might pick this up next year sometime. Maybe during the summer drought. Got so many games I've yet to finish and Skyrim is just dominating my spare time at the moment.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Vonocourt

Only on the desert world so far, but the game will pretty much have to kill my dog to end up not being one of my favorite, if not favorite, games this year.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I loved everything about the demo. The controls felt good, it looked absolutely gorgeous and the music was catchy as hell. Definitely buying this at some point.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By bkbroiler

Boy, pretty presumptuous that I'll never play this game!

Evilsmevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Evilsmevil

@BulletproofMonk said:

I loved everything about the demo. The controls felt good, it looked absolutely gorgeous and the music was catchy as hell. Definitely buying this at some point.

The music gets better and better. When you get underwater the music turns into these melancholic Gregorian chants which perfectly compliments the flowing nature of those levels. Also the Bonus pick up ditty when all the elums are worth 2x has been rattling around my head for the past two days - I want that thing as my ringtone.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By EVO

GOTY.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Legend

I almost made the mistake of skipping this game, but luckily I got a Vita and thought I'd check it out. Man, this game is incredible. It's just so much fun!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.